Beyond.ca - Car Forums



Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics

 
What does status "Rebuilt" mean? - Click HERE for Original Thread

hung_lo
Hey guys. I was going to buy a car today. But when I looked at the registration, the status says: REBUILT. On my rides my status is ACTIVE. What the hell does rebuilt mean? Does it mean it was written off, but fixed? Sounds like it, but not 100% sure.
eljefe
yep, its been in an accident and an issured has "written it off". A body shop or rebuilder has to identify any vehicle that has been put back together as "rebuilt". Most importantly have someone check out the frame.
lastprodigy
Yes, rebuilt means previously written off, if you wanna buy, get it thouroughly checked and make sure you dont pay near what you would for a clean title!
Z_Fan
My car was written off with no structural [frame] damage at all. Just minor stuff. So it's not like all cars that are written off were bent beyond recognition. Whoever bought that car got an excellent car as there was little damage and a mint interior. But either way, I'd still be super careful about your purchase - maybe you can determine what had happened to it for it to be written off...
lush
REBUILT means it had been previously damaged in an accident and it was fixed and certified by a mechanic as roadworthy. Minor damage or major damage can be considered as REBUILT.
For instance, minor damage such as a headlight , claimed through insurance, will be considered as REBUILT when repaired.

The "WRITTEN OFF" status is not used by the registries as of 1998 because it caused too many problems in identifying the status of a vehicle.

When the vehicle has been deemed as "NON REPAIRABLE", that means the vehicle is only good for parts.

So in order to see whether or not your vehicle has been damaged severely, take it to a mechanic.
hung_lo
Thanks so much guys! I don't know if I should bother. It's in such good condition! It's a 1990 Accord EX-R (210k km) and I got him to $3600. It's in unbelievable shape by just looking at it. Drives really well.
richardchan2002
In my opinion, that's way too much to be paying for that type of car even if it wasn't rebuilt.
lush
Well I know inspections are pricey, but it's worth a try. Like I said, sometimes it's just minor damage. My car has a broken tailight and it's still stated as "REBUILT" on my registration. I knew the guy who sold me my car and he showed me the damage before he repaired it. And working at the registry has it's perks...That's how I know how the system works.
Weapon_R
You shouldn't even pay 3600 for that Accord if it were never rebuilt!

That car is worth about 1500-2000 as rebuilt status. Maybe 2500 as active status.
hampstor
That price seems quite high for a car that's been rebuilt/repaired (i think the status actually says repaired).

I've had a car that was written off because it had extremely high mileage when it got into a fender bender. Have the car gone over the car completely by mechanic that you trust.
l8braker
^^ Agreed. See if you can haggle him down a bit, if not move on man :thumbsup:
ninspeed
Originally posted by lush
Well I know inspections are pricey, but it's worth a try. Like I said, sometimes it's just minor damage. My car has a broken tailight and it's still stated as "REBUILT" on my registration. I knew the guy who sold me my car and he showed me the damage before he repaired it. And working at the registry has it's perks...LOL. Thats how I know how the system works.



the only time is rebulit status is when ith damage to the car is more than the car is worth (acv)... i would like to know how people who smash up their cars just a little bit, and pay cash would be reported to the amvd to have the status as rebuilt as according to your idea

lush
Well not all cars are reported to the dmv if damaged, especially when the damage is made by the owner... They don't want to take the risk of their insurance premiums to go up. But vehicles that are reported to insurance will require inspections in order to be road worthy. For instance, if there was an accident involving more than 2 parties, minor/major damage (whatever the case may be) how would you pay the parties off? Isn't it illegal?
hung_lo
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You shouldn't even pay 3600 for that Accord if it were never rebuilt!

That car is worth about 1500-2000 as rebuilt status. Maybe 2500 as active status.



Well, I've been looking in the bargain finder and these Accords still go for a pretty penny. I don't know how you figure the car is worth $2500, when they are in the BF for about mostly $3000+. If you can point me towards one in that price range, I'd greatly appreciate it!! :)

hung_lo
Originally posted by hampstor
That price seems quite high for a car that's been rebuilt/repaired (i think the status actually says repaired).

I've had a car that was written off because it had extremely high mileage when it got into a fender bender. Have the car gone over the car completely by mechanic that you trust.



I didn't know it was "rebuilt" when I gave him the offer of $3600. I came by there again and told him $1500. haha.. obviously I got my deposit back.

ninspeed
Originally posted by lush
Well not all cars are reported to the dmv if damaged, especially when the damage is made by the owner... They don't want to take the risk of their insurance premiums to go up. But vehicles that are reported to insurance will require inspections in order to be road worthy. For instance, if there was an accident involving more than 2 parties, minor/major damage (whatever the case may be) how would you pay the parties off? Isn't it illegal?



no... but the number of people in this fininical situation are far between.. they would rather pay an extra 1000$ or something a year then a huge lump sum. The only time a vehicle will have a rebuilt status is when the retail value of repair is more than retail value of the vehicle. Once its at this point, you will most likey inform your insurance company. they will deem it as such and report the vehicle as a total loss, or salvage only to the transport office. If the vehicle is a total loss, i can be purchased, and rebuilt, but must pass a safty inspection by a shop certified to due such (ex. Master Frame Works)..

If your car only had a broken tail light, and has rebuilt status, i suggest you sell you pinto, and up grade to a early 80's escort.

BebeAphrodite
Originally posted by lush
My car has a broken tailight and it's still stated as "REBUILT" on my registration.



I have a really hard time buying that a broken tail light alone would cause a status of rebuilt...

euro_racer
we used to have a car that was previously a theft, but had a rebuilt status because of that...it can be anything but usualy it means it was in an accident

only way to find out is if you were to inspect the paint baecause usualy there is imperfections in MOST paint jobs. inspections work too but having worked in different dielerships, many times mechanics skip over the small things
88CRXGUY
haha shit I bought a car, and I didn't even know what rebuilt status met thanks for clearing that up for me..well sort of...



Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.


For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog

Powered by: Search Engine Indexer and vBulletin v2.3.9
Copyright © 2000 - 2002, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited