PDA

View Full Version : How to paint your car for $50

Redlyne_mr2
02-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Awesome
here's the link, theres a bunch more posts and info in the next pages

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000.

Newk
02-01-2006, 10:52 AM
I might try that on the truck, If it works the MG is getting a new do.

rip
02-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Good read..........I might try that on my beater truck as well.

ringmaster
02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
thats kind of cool... id like to see it in person though

natejj
02-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Just an off topic question.... my car has 2 spots i would like to get painted over.... just 2 tiny ones... how hard is it to find the identical color for those 2 spots?

:hijack:

Moonracer
02-01-2006, 11:22 AM
:eek: That's amazing. The orange beetle pic looks really nice.

Nova316
02-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Wow thats impressive Nicely done
50$ paint job.. Dam if i only knew earlier that a little bit of elbow grease and time could come out with a paint job like that

GQBalla
02-01-2006, 01:32 PM
nice job i think!

i dunno if i missed it or not but what about clear coat?

snowboard
02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
he said no need, it seels and buffs to a mirror shine.

handsomebassman
02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
thats nuts. It looks really good. To paint my truck flat black, with no shine, it still cost me almost $150 total for everything. I may try that. For $50 you could have a truck or car a different colour for each month. :D

Darkane
02-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow.. Thats very interesting. I wonder if rust would come through this paint quicker than usual.

handsomebassman
02-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Wow.. Thats very interesting. I wonder if rust would come through this paint quicker than usual.

you could always pretreat with rust paint. My flat black finish on my whole truck is rust proof :D. Thank god, saying jeeps like rusting more than a steel wool in a puddle.

But yea, i wonder if that $50 would do any worse/better of a job of preventing rust on the body?

ExtremeSi
02-01-2006, 03:44 PM
This looks really amazing. Where can you buy this Tremclad paint and does anyone know what colors it comes in?
The pics look like the paint doesnt have that much shine to it, I wonder how it looks in person

GQBalla
02-01-2006, 03:46 PM
yes if i were to do that i probably would put a clear coat on it.

it doesn't look too shiny

Hustla8484
02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Tremclad is good shit, holds up well over rust, worked with it before on old metal, and you can buy it in flat colors or shinny already, so with a good polish job it will shine nicely, gonna try this on my winter car soon, i'll post pics

Only thing is what is a jug of mineral spirits? you buy that with paint?

88CRXGUY
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah that is so awsome. I sence a summer project...How many cans and or coats would you need to do the whole car?

calgarygts
02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Mineral spirits you can buy at canadian tire for a few bucks, it's actually a canister called mineral spirits.

customdelux
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Great work! Is there orange peel?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-01-2006, 10:19 PM
just got back from buying all the stuff i need to do this to my winter truck (91 blazer)and im planning on taking on this project this weekend.
I'll let you know how it goes

Fez_turbo
02-01-2006, 11:17 PM
very nice read...very interesting facts... and for the post on top of me i cant wait to see the finished project.:D :thumbsup: good luck

93hustler
02-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
just got back from buying all the stuff i need to do this to my winter truck (91 blazer)and im planning on taking on this project this weekend.
I'll let you know how it goes
Please post pics. Who knew you could tremclad a vehicle and actually make it look GOOD:eek:

modded46
02-02-2006, 12:42 AM
What needs to be done to "prep" a car for this?? I hate the red colour my golf is and would love to paint it.. Oh and to the user who bought the stuff, where did you buy it from?

Thanks, this could be fun!

Goblin
02-02-2006, 12:47 AM
very interesting for sure...

H4LFY2nR
02-02-2006, 02:00 AM
I've tried it on a beater an it worked very well. The key is decent prep/body work and lots of light coats with time to dry in between. Otherwise it will orange peel.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-02-2006, 02:12 AM
i will try and keep you guys updated but i dont have a digi cam handy so i cant promise pics.
I will work on borrowing my brothers camera this week to take pictures of my progress.
You can buy all of the supplies at canadian tire.

bmeier
02-02-2006, 02:20 AM
i am also doing this to my beater i came up with the idea a while ago... i just have not got around to doing it. i am going to wait till summer though so the paint will actually dry properlyy...

soupey
02-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by natejj
Just an off topic question.... my car has 2 spots i would like to get painted over.... just 2 tiny ones... how hard is it to find the identical color for those 2 spots?

:hijack:

find the color code and pick up a bottle of spraypaint at canadian tire.

modded46
02-04-2006, 12:14 PM
What is needed to prep the car?? Would like to start this and need to know where I should start.

Thanks!

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR
I've tried it on a beater an it worked very well. The key is decent prep/body work and lots of light coats with time to dry in between. Otherwise it will orange peel.

Makaveli2k
02-04-2006, 12:44 PM
^^ They say sandpaper, but I'm wondering too what grit sandpaper and also as you sand down the surfaces should you change grit sandpaper? If anybody would answer our questios that would be Ti*S
Thanks

handsomebassman
02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Makaveli2k
^^ They say sandpaper, but I'm wondering too what grit sandpaper and also as you sand down the surfaces should you change grit sandpaper? If anybody would answer our questios that would be Ti*S
Thanks

The main point of the prepping is removing the top layer, or at least scuffing the top layer of clearcoat so the new paint has an anchor.

cycosis
02-05-2006, 12:41 PM
he also said to increase the grit count for each layer

Thaco
02-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by soupey

find the color code and pick up a bottle of spraypaint at canadian tire.

no... paint fades, it would not match unless the car is like <2 years old

handsomebassman
02-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Im going to use this method of painting for my engine bay on the truck, just before the engine swap. Ill post pics up.

soupey
02-05-2006, 04:52 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/?start=0

found that on one of the pages....very impressive to say the least...

Fosgate R
02-05-2006, 05:12 PM
My god man! Thats amazing! that is so perfect for beaterz or off-road vehicles!! GREAT READ!! :hitit:

dkny_stylez
02-05-2006, 11:12 PM
looks good, but the paint looks dull...:dunno:

Makaveli2k
02-06-2006, 06:27 PM
maybe some Spray clear coat will give it that shine people are looking for?

Dayclone
02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow if this shit actually works I'll tell you guys I'm going to try it
this weekend when I got time! Then I'll post you guys sum pics.

Steve

bmeier
02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
it works fine but dont be fooled. Wet sanding a car is not exactly a fun task and to do it 3 or 4 times. well let me just say that you will be cursing like a sailor lol...

The one part of this system that makes it worth while is if you dont want to spend hours masking or inhaling paint fumes plus you save alot of paint by not spraying it on...

403Gemini
02-09-2006, 11:09 AM
sweet *bookmarks thread*

gonna try this on my dads oldsmobile heh

soupey
02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
has anyone actually tried it yet? i want to see more pictures of someone actually pulling it off really well from beyond

403Gemini
02-09-2006, 11:27 AM
^^^ Yea i wouldnt mind seeing some pics from a member before attempting this heh

SinisterProbeGt
02-09-2006, 01:09 PM
I think everyone is forgeting the amount of time needed here and energy
1 day per coat
1 day per sand

5 coats = 5 days of hard work.
if you have the time and energy I say why not.
I did an RX in 6 days total and it looked way better than any 600 or 1000 splash job and I did most of it myself.

I would like to hear if there are any similar accounts of time used in this process.

403Gemini
02-09-2006, 04:08 PM
wouldnt be a bad idea for the summer time, take off 2 weeks or so.

off topic:

jesus sinister probe where the hell have you been haha? any new pics of the car?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
im in the middle of doing this right now, just finished wet sanding and will be doing another coat tonight.

all i can say is fuck theres alot of surface area on a blazer !

Moonracer
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
im in the middle of doing this right now, just finished wet sanding and will be doing another coat tonight.

all i can say is fuck theres alot of surface area on a blazer !

***grabs a bag of popcorn awaiting the results***

JordanEG6
02-10-2006, 12:21 AM
interesting....i want to see the results as well :)

62chevystepside
02-13-2006, 01:25 AM
I started doing it, it takes alot of time and hard work, Im doing it to a rusty 81' Monte Carlo, Im done all the body work and Im wet sanding now, Me and my buddy have been working on this for 3 days now and I can't wait till im done, It looks awsome right now after the first 3 coats but the $50. Dollor paint job din't work for me I've spent $100.00 but thats because I needed everything.

realazy
02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
bump for more pics!

62chevystepside
02-14-2006, 01:28 AM
I will Post pictures when im done it, i just have 1 more coat of paint and then wetsand and polish, looking foward to being done its time consuming but it looks awsome:clap:

handsomebassman
02-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Well then hurry the fuck up.

lol, jk:thumbsup:

Im excited to see how it turned out.

Dayclone
02-15-2006, 11:54 AM

I've tried it....

NOTE: Only do this to an old vehicle....

It's best to get a paint match... at like C-Max which is a sub
branch of Napa Auto Parts... 29.99 for a can of spray paint...
just works as well and it's awesome.

Steve

Manimillion
02-17-2006, 04:48 PM
I might buy a Focus ZX3 this summer just to do this to it. Easy way to get your car to be "competition orange" :angel:

62chevystepside
02-18-2006, 01:40 AM
i would only do it on a cheaper older vehlicle because the guy that painted the orange car is a really good painter, im currently doing my car right now and it doesn't look the same.

acclude
02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
here a pretty good diy on rust removal, check it out
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=2868

soupey
03-11-2006, 08:54 PM
bump

did anyone try it out yet?...i want to see pics!!

maximus
03-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea but isn't it kinda of a waste of time? The most expensive part of a paintjob is the labour. What gets me is the amount of labor getting the car straight and involved in wet sanding and polishing the cheap-o paint. It may only be $50 in paint but how much in hours and hours of labor invested? My point being if I have a car worth investing that much time into labor wise, why not spend a few more bucks on a quality paint that will look 10x better on top of all that labor you just did? If you're willing to wet sand that much then just go at it with a cheapo gun. You don't have to worry about orange peel since you'll be wet sanding. And trust me, if you spend the same amount of time wet sanding a base clear you will get an amazing result.

:dunno:

handsomebassman
04-08-2006, 10:49 AM
still no pics...:dunno:

I see that a couple people have said they are in the process, but are there ANY pics out?

bobyo_2001
04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
TREMCLAD IS THE GOD OF PAINT!!! IT is like friggen powdercoat the shit holds up to anything.

autosm
04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
I have seen a couple of cars sprayed with tremclad reduced 50-50 ,they looked pretty good painted white . Hard to tell it was not a more expensive paint . I rolled a rusty trailer with tremclad and it looked good for years.

Slashin_
04-22-2006, 12:18 PM
.....DO THIS INDOORS!!!!!!!

i am doin hood n trunk for fun n god damn bug are addidcted to the smell of freshly rolled tremclad.....and god damn does tremclad own rain....didn't wax or nuttin n it beads the water like nutz......i got dead bugz all over my hood n trunk///even after it dries they like the smell......:eek:

Rx7
04-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Bumping an old thread, anybody got pics from there endeavor

pulse_crx
04-29-2007, 12:17 AM
not the best pic, but you get the idea.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/itsasoldasme/IMG_0571.jpg

Audio_Rookie
04-29-2007, 12:32 AM
that whole thing is tremclad?

I think I might do this to a 86 omni this winter.......the fact that you can roll it on and do it indoors without a paint booth is a big +.

And I dont need it super shiny, just all uniform color and protected from rust & shit.

We paint most of our steel at work with tremclad and it sticks very well and holds for many many years.

sneek
04-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Thats sweet! Flat white looks really good! Better than gloss white IMO.

sneek
05-13-2007, 11:55 PM
hmm, only 1 person has pics?

robare99
05-14-2007, 09:56 PM
nice!

90_Shelby
05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
I Tremclad spray painted my 75 Dodge Dart winter beater in high school (1999). It didn't have a high shine factor and it orange peeled like crazy, but it looked a lot better then the rust and faded paint that was on it before.

Haha Check out the bumble bee stripe I added....

90_Shelby
05-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Another one. Check out the scoops I added. lol

90_Shelby
05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
And so I don't look like a putz, my summer car in high school which I restored, painted, built engine etc...... '71 Duster 360

This one was not painted with Tremclad.

Rx7
05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Anyone know if tremclad can be used in a paint gun?

VeilOctane
07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
more cheep A$$ paint jobs that look good

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

DepTrotter
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
nice - i wish i had a garage to do this on a beater

Jed Bouscal
07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Awesome

So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000.

Question - don't think you mentioned, but how many hours of labour did one car take you with all the wetsanding? I think this is important to keep in mind, considering you're a pro and have a lot of wetsanding experience, before other people get started!

sneek
07-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Jed Bouscal

Question - don't think you mentioned, but how many hours of labour did one car take you with all the wetsanding? I think this is important to keep in mind, considering you're a pro and have a lot of wetsanding experience, before other people get started!

Well it takes about a day or 2 to wetsand and polish a show car starting with 1200. So I imagine about 4 ish days of wetsanding to make it perfect. but I think the majority of people who do this aren't looking for anything perfect. They want something that looks good at 10ft and some people 5 feet but most cars that leave the factory have bad orange peel. My dad's Accord has horrific orange peel, but most people don't even know what that is. Plus when you do a Tremclad job you really aren't that worried about sanding too much, I can't say the same thing about the Accord because the factory clear is quite thin and striking through would look far worse than orange peel. One day closer to the end of it's life I will wet sand it but it is only a few year old daily driver. If I get my G I MIGHT wet sand it but I am not sure yet.

tiramisu403
07-11-2007, 02:53 AM
now im just wondering if it works on eurathane or fiberglass parts. :confused:

Jed Bouscal
07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
You're thinking of wetsanding a new G or a used one? Sounds like an interesting project!

Originally posted by sneek

Well it takes about a day or 2 to wetsand and polish a show car starting with 1200. So I imagine about 4 ish days of wetsanding to make it perfect. but I think the majority of people who do this aren't looking for anything perfect. They want something that looks good at 10ft and some people 5 feet but most cars that leave the factory have bad orange peel. My dad's Accord has horrific orange peel, but most people don't even know what that is. Plus when you do a Tremclad job you really aren't that worried about sanding too much, I can't say the same thing about the Accord because the factory clear is quite thin and striking through would look far worse than orange peel. One day closer to the end of it's life I will wet sand it but it is only a few year old daily driver. If I get my G I MIGHT wet sand it but I am not sure yet.

sneek
07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Used one, it dark blue, so if i strike through (probably because infinity paint is really soft) I will just get it resprayed black like I want it with a Spies clear. :)