PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here work up at Fort McMurray lately?

Graham_A_M
03-16-2006, 09:12 PM
HI guys. In order to start up my own business, I need to raise some good start up capital, so I need to make as much money in a short period of time as possible.
I think working up in Fort McMurray (http://fortmc.ca) (oil sands) would be a good way of doing that.

So I was wondering if anybody here has any pointers or advise of finding accomidations up there.

I've heard that there is such a demand, even McDonalds employees get $14/hr just to offer competitive wages, as well as the average salary is $90,000/year.

Is it realistically possible to make $10,000/month working up there?

any help at all (ANY) would really be appreciatd. Any leads or links would be very much appreciated. :)

Sharpie
03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Housing up there is hella expensive though...

djayz
03-16-2006, 09:40 PM
^
thats true but charter flights to and from calgary are cheap.
Money is good up there but prepare to work hard if you want to make upwards of 90grand a year.

Graham_A_M
03-16-2006, 10:54 PM
^ what kind of "hard work" is it? rigs I'm assuming? is there any sort of high-paying truck driving jobs?

SLR
03-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Just be fuckin careful on that highway from to Mac.. fuckin scary, I got my dick run over by some drunk pigs in a truck.

Papa Luv it
03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
I work up in Fort McMurray (http://fortmc.ca), and make decent coin. If you get on with a oil company they will put you up in the camp and they will pay for it. Just watch out! If you have any choice dont get sent to the poplar camp, its the worse camp I ever stayed in. And about wages. If you work on the rig, the lowest you will get paid will be 23 an hour, and thats working as a core marker. Most rotations for Rigs is 21 days on 7 off, and thats either worker for suncor CNRL and other companies that are in the oil sand project!. You also get boneses and what not. I'm working up here as a geologist and it is not bad.

If you want some more info just reply or pm me

djayz
03-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ what kind of "hard work" is it? rigs I'm assuming? is there any sort of high-paying truck driving jobs?

Yes mostly the rigs you can probably operate heavy machinery but you need licenses and certifications for most of those.
Im not 100% sure of what jobs are there and how much they pay but money is great if your willing to work for it. But just dont live there as it will all even out eventually unless you share a place with 3-4 other people.

matt_calgary
03-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I was doing electrical construction just south east of Fort Mac (http://fortmc.ca). The work isn't bad at all, pay is really good, living up there is insanely expensive. If you can get a company to find a hotel for you (almost impossible) you'll be put in a camp. Its basically res. with 40 year olds:nut: Not really sure what your intentions are but I didn't mind staying at a dry camp as I'm not a super alcoholic/druggy at all. Keeps morons at 4 in morning storming down to the hall to wake everyone up cuz their hammered. However, you will, I repeat, WILL be making numerous stops at the strippers:D

Goblin
03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
I have heard a lot of bad stories tho...

Shit in your helmet, the regular "new guy" stuff.

Audio_Rookie
03-19-2006, 03:37 PM
I be going on the rigs next month....going for my hs2 next weekend.
gures starting. my buddy works in Zama and flys in an out
I hear you gross just around 6 fievery 2 weeks.

I hear 2 weeks on, 1 off is common. moving pipe and fetching tools and stuff.

I should have more info in a couple weeks....keep in mind that Fort Mac isnt the only place in Alberta that gets oil.

matt_calgary
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh man Zama is friggin brutal! Same with Rainbow lake uhhh!

Audio_Rookie
03-20-2006, 03:05 AM
thnx, will try to avoid...my buddy Brad says its worth the work though.

ole dsm
03-20-2006, 11:43 AM
i just came back from fort mac
worked for sds sonic drilling nice work $20 perhour 12 hour days over 2g's every two weeks .

the drilling season is over for the most part there maybe some stuff in the summer but not a whole lot.

i recommend that u get all the tickets ,h2s, first aid, cpr, pts. and apply in november december .

sds is a good company to work for fun young none religious employee's, small rigs (lots of moves) , standby pay benifits and insurance policey.

in a few days i will be going up to rainbow lake to work in a camp for respec-harvest energy.

redx2nv
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
If you have no credentials, there is no point in going up there. They dont pay people 90k+ a year, to start, with no education or indentured as an apprentice.

Your better off getting in with the rigs, no exeprience needed and decent coin.

If anyone is interested, i am purchasing a house/condo this year in mcmurray and may be taking roomates.

matt_calgary
03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Can someone who ask ACTAULLY worked on the rigs starting out help me out. One of my friends wants to work on the rigs if he doesn't get into school. Somebody told him that to start they can make 6000 every two weeks cleared.

Me making 20 bucks an hr as an electrical apprentice at the time worked 21 on, 7 off, 12 hr days, did not clear 6000 bucks. Apparently there is huge "danger pay" when working the on rigs but I can't see it being that much. Someone want to clarify this please. Thanks!

cmodem
03-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by matt_calgary
to start they can make 6000 every two weeks cleared.

So let me get this straight 52 weeks in a year = 26 two week periods

26 * 6000 = 156 000 a year to START on a rig. Wait your friend said cleared so i assume net. To net 156 000 you almost need to be making a gross of 190 000.

I'm sorry i'm calling it :bullshit:

B20EF
03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
My buddy just went up a month and a half ago, he cleared $5000 his first month.

It's believable when you work it out

$23.50/hour * 12 hours minimum a day for 21 days straight = $5922 a month

*edit*^^ Just realized you said $6000 every two weeks, I call :bullshit: too

kerry
03-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Fort McMurray is fucking gay

Audio_Rookie
03-20-2006, 10:15 PM
my buddy brad was trianed into a better position within 3 month of being there...he went from 23$/hr to 33$/hr

thats a hell of an increase.

no_joke
03-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by ole dsm
i just came back from fort mac
worked for sds sonic drilling nice work $20 perhour 12 hour days over 2g's every two weeks .

the drilling season is over for the most part there maybe some stuff in the summer but not a whole lot.

i recommend that u get all the tickets ,h2s, first aid, cpr, pts. and apply in november december .

sds is a good company to work for fun young none religious employee's, small rigs (lots of moves) , standby pay benifits and insurance policey.

in a few days i will be going up to rainbow lake to work in a camp for respec-harvest energy.

What kind of work did you do? Who were you working with and at which sites?

Audio_Rookie
03-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
My buddy just went up a month and a half ago, he cleared $5000 his first month.

It's believable when you work it out

$23.50/hour * 12 hours minimum a day for 21 days straight = $5922 a month

*edit*^^ Just realized you said $6000 every two weeks, I call :bullshit: too

keep in mind out of those 12 hours 4 of them are overtime.....as well as many days out of the 21.

take home pay should be around 6k/month starting.

keith303
03-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I go up there for petrolium related work sometimes, the place is a fucking dirty shithole, I hate it. Drug dealers everywhere and 95% of the people you come accross in stores are incompotant.

matt_calgary
03-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Well thanks for the feedback guys. I figured about 4000-6000 a month cleared, but not every 2 weeks, that seemed really exessive.

Pee_Sack
03-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I live there :D

I don't work at the sites, so I cant comment on that but it isn't a bad place to live...aslong as you dont mind drinking...that is the only fun thing to do.

As for rent, we have borders in our house, they work 2 weeks get 3 days off and come back. They pay $700/month for a fully furnished bedroom, and access to all our utilities, computer with internet, big screen tv, hot tub.

Which isnt bad when you are working all the time and you are barely every here.

rigguy
04-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by matt_calgary
Can someone who ask ACTAULLY worked on the rigs starting out help me out. One of my friends wants to work on the rigs if he doesn't get into school. Somebody told him that to start they can make 6000 every two weeks cleared.

Me making 20 bucks an hr as an electrical apprentice at the time worked 21 on, 7 off, 12 hr days, did not clear 6000 bucks. Apparently there is huge "danger pay" when working the on rigs but I can't see it being that much. Someone want to clarify this please. Thanks!

6000 bi weekly as a leasehand, wow let me know the name of that company. I started with 20/hr as a leasehand with and was deffinatly not making 6000 every 2 weeks. And not every company pays the same, some don't go by the caodc pay scale, and will pay a little less then others. And there are drilling rigs, and service rigs, with service rigs you'll be all over the place.

Graham_A_M
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
:rolleyes: I'm guessing all the "beer drinking" leads to some idiotic BS-'ing when it comes to actual pay and all that. I knew a guy that really did make $10k/month, but he was working the rigs since he was 17, and was 23 at the time. Basically he was the rig foreman or driller (or whatever you'd call basically the top position)

I know its hard and very dangerous work, so the pay has to be good to get people to do it, but $6,000 is a LOT of money, even for a month, but bi-weekly?.. for a leasehand? come on. :nut:
$12k/month X 12 = $144,000/year take HOME pay. thats ridiculous. After doing a little more research, $6k/month for a motorhand seems realistic, but there is a LOT of BS I think when it comes down to actual pay stubs. :bullshit:

Audio_Rookie
04-05-2006, 02:53 PM
so are you actually gonna suck it up and go up there?

Lexxan
04-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I bill out 25 grand a month+ doing directional work beside drilling rigs(30 days of work). Currently in training to directional drill for $1,000 dayrate + 85 infield + 50 food per day.
This is work the you do after you're a rigpig.. fucking being a driller.

Graham_A_M
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
so are you actually gonna suck it up and go up there?

Yup, I'm taking a welding course. Also buying this limo to "hollow out" and live in it (as a camper) its only $5k for a 1998 Town car limo, so I'm doing that... hearing stories of guys paying $1500/month to sleep on a couch :eek:

Even if its only $6k/month for an apprentice welder thats still almost double what I'm netting now as a damn fleet manager :banghead:

BTW, Lexxan, thats idiotic money, WOW.

Audio_Rookie
04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
going welding are you.....your going for your apprentiship up there or just going to make some cash? You know you could always go as a leashand and make 6k a month and live in camp..... not having to sleep in a limo, and free food.

Your gonna need your B-pressure before you make the big bucks in welding. I was considering going into a career in welding....its gonna be that or sitting in a trialer with a thumb up my ass

:thumbsup: .

good luck.

kaput
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Lexxan
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
2 years with a grade 11 education

dub_c
04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Whats the rate of pay for having your B pressure and welding on the rigs?

msommers
04-10-2006, 12:03 AM
anyone know of companies looking for anyone up there? Just general labour work(riggers, no expierence type work) or I'm actually a second year electrician, looking for something for the summer. Kind of the off season but work is work and I don't care. I have all my certificates, first aid, H2S, JLG, etc. Thanks!