PDA

View Full Version : Cannot "Self-Clear" with FedEx or UPS!!

trdjce10
06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
There was a post here showing you "step-by-step" on how to get around paying the brokerage fee shipping company (FedEx, UPS, etc.) like to charge. Unfortunately it did not work very well for me...

Let's start with FedEx Ground.

Total value of the package was $1000 USD. I asked the company to write "Self clearing customs. Recipient will clear customs". Couple days after the package was shipped, I decided to call FedEx just to let them that I will be clearing customs. Guess what? They said they do not allow that?! So whatever I decided to take the hit. Package arrived, and usually a letter will follow a few days later telling you to pay up. It has been almost 3 weeks now and no letter. It is good I guess that they didn't ask for any money, but bad that they don't allow self clearing.

Now UPS

Got a package worth about $55 USD. I called them like I did with FedEx and asked if I can clear customs myself. They said yes, but ONLY at the port of entry in person, which is in Vancouver. I asked 3 different UPS service reps, and they all told me the same thing. If you live in Calgary, either drive to Vancouver or pay.

From now on...I will only use USPS. I had a package close to $2000 shipped from USPS last month. For value over $1600, they cannot clear it for you. What happened was they sent me some forms and told me to go to the local customs office for clearing. I went there, paid the GST and faxed back to them. 2 days later I got the package with no fee.

I also have another package from USPS that I will pick up tomorrow. The value was only $700 so they cleared for me, and the fee is $52...which is GST.

Unless I'm doing wrong with UPS or FedEx...

Z_Fan
06-29-2006, 06:41 PM
This is true for "personal" shipments.

I did a write-up a while back, and perhaps it was missing some critical information - you can't self-clear personal stuff. So, you ship it to a business and the business CAN self clear. Ship it to where you work, etc. LOL.

GTS Jeff
06-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Hmmm I self-cleared a TRD bushings kit a couple years ago. It was a personal address and sent through UPS...total value was around $500. US->Edmonton.

trdjce10
06-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
This is true for "personal" shipments.

I did a write-up a while back, and perhaps it was missing some critical information - you can't self-clear personal stuff. So, you ship it to a business and the business CAN self clear. Ship it to where you work, etc. LOL.

All those packages were for business. I even have a business import number. That's how I cleared the one package from USPS.

However it is going to a residental address, not commerical. But I don't see how that will make a difference.

:dunno:

rage2
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
It probably doesn't. It's possible that they changed the rules, as their customs raping practices are a huge cash cow for them.

roopi
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
USPS is handled by Canada Post. The brokerage fee is only $5.00 (they will never charge more than $5.00) so why bother doing any extra work? Just let them clear it for $5.00.

Z_Fan
06-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I rarely ship UPS any more anyhow.

I can remember phoning them once, and it seems to me when I asked them that I wanted to self-clear, they said I couldn't because it was a personal shipment.

But yeah, I am having everything shipped by USPS nowadays. I had a thousand dollar item shipped and paid virtually nothing. It was less than the UPS brokerage fee alone would have been, and then UPS would have charged GST, duty, etc.

As long as you've got the time, USPS is the way to fly. I'm starting to plan a little better, and realize I don't really need anything in a big rush. Hahha... :devil:

benyl
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
You can only self clear at points of entry. I think that was missing or added later to the step by step instructions.

If you use UPS or FEDEX, ship only via Air. All the brokerage, GST, etc... are included in the fee.

R-Audi
06-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Depending on the FedEx type.. they clear customs for free. I have never had a letter from them stating any charges...