PDA

View Full Version : max boost on 03 wrx

Mikespecr1
01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
I wondering if anybuddy can tell me what the max boost that I can run and the factory boost on my ride. I got an 2003 wrx:dunno: :goflames:

RickDaTuner
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I beleive the max you can run on a WRX is 18 psi, but I would take that with a huge grain of salt....

Mikespecr1
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
from all I have found out is that the stock boost is around 14 or smothing and right now Iam only running 10:goflames:

That.Guy.S30
01-10-2007, 07:32 PM
if u need more info about imprezas check out nasioc.com, albertasubaru.com, i-club.com, ravensblade-impreza.net

but u should be boosting 14 psi stock.

Fuji
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
why bother boosting past the stock 14.8psi... the turbo is way out of efficiency already...

l/l/rX
01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
hrm we're running 18psi stock internals. wasnt done by boost controller either.
just AP and full exhaust. my boost gauge says 18. soo i dont know.
anything higher than 18 i hear is dangerous.

Pee_Sack
01-24-2007, 02:47 PM
you can boost 25psi if you want, turbo and engine wont last long but you could

Fuji
01-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
hrm we're running 18psi stock internals. wasnt done by boost controller either.
just AP and full exhaust. my boost gauge says 18. soo i dont know.
anything higher than 18 i hear is dangerous.

It doesn't matter if you run 18psi or 25psi... i've said this a ton of times and the point is if you look at the compressor maps for the td04 for the WRX you'r jsut blowng hot air and run the risk of wrecking your turbo- it's just too small The amount of power is pretty neglible. I'd say jsut go buy a new turbo if you want more power.

benyl
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Plus, you are blowing hot air which gets you closer to detonation.

Don't forget about the stock tranny not being able to handle the extra powa yo!

l/l/rX
01-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Fuji

It doesn't matter if you run 18psi or 25psi... i've said this a ton of times and the point is if you look at the compressor maps for the td04 for the WRX you'r jsut blowng hot air and run the risk of wrecking your turbo- it's just too small The amount of power is pretty neglible. I'd say jsut go buy a new turbo if you want more power.

well im not neccessarily saying that i WANT to be running 18psi.
with the mods it just kind of gradually made its way up to 18.
what do you suggest i do?

Fuji
01-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I kinda said it in my last sentence. New turbo lol

I think everyone should get a new turbo!

Anyways, money says you are only running 16psi. boost guages are usually about 1.5-2psi off their mark

msommers
01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Fuji
I kinda said it in my last sentence. New turbo lol

I think everyone should get a new turbo!

Anyways, money says you are only running 16psi. boost guages are usually about 1.5-2psi off their mark

When you're upgrading turbos though, how big could you even go? How many cc's are those injectors? I agree with what your saying though 100%. It is tempting when on the dyno though ;)

xrayvsn
01-26-2007, 07:28 PM
What are you using for EM? get some datalogs and fiind out what your car is actually doing. It is pretty easy, and you can either use the OBD2 plugin you get with your Cobb Accessport, or you could pick up a Tactrix cable.

Google "openECU" and log with it. If your mods result in you boosting to 18 psi, you definitely want to know if your boost gauge is accurate. Your ECU will have a relative manifold pressure reading, so you know what your true boost is. If your mods have resulted in your 18 psi boost, and it is real, then you could be having dangerous boost creep issues. I would want to get logs before the engine decided to go boom because of boost creep and maxed out injectors.

What do the Cobb mapnotes say about target boost for your application? If you're creeping, you may want to switch to one of the other maps - I think it is the HWG map, but I would check the mapnotes to be certain.

Edit - checked Cobb and the Stage 2 map on 03/03 WRX calls for 15.8 psi +/- 0.5 psi tapering to 13 psi, so if you are truly hitting 18 psi, it is too high. that is, unless you have a different turbo than the stock TD04 that you did not mention earlier.