PDA

View Full Version : Costco's NEW Return Policy

HyperZell
02-27-2007, 09:54 AM
It was reported (I put it up somewhere on Beyond) a little while ago that Costco's return policy might be getting changed due to the number of people who abused it. Well, here it is:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17350641/

The policy is officially reducing the return period to 90 days, with an extension of the warranty to 2 years. Keep in mind that it kicks in in April in the US, but I expect Canada to follow suit immediately.

BigMass
02-27-2007, 10:07 AM
yeah, i know people that use Costco as a free rental outfit on a regular basis. Ruins it for the rest of us.

CalgarySupra
02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
i dont think its people abusing it

ask any retailer, more and more less quality stuff is being produced.

HyperZell
02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
i dont think its people abusing it

ask any retailer, more and more less quality stuff is being produced.

More and more less quality sentences are being written too.

I think you mean that more lower-quality products are being produced. Well, it's a good guess, but no:

"A bigger problem for the company, however, was that some people appeared to be taking advantage of big price drops by returning an older item and then snapping up a newer, less expensive — and, in some cases, fancier — model."

It really is because people were abusing it.

DayGlow
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
It's a real problem with TV's. I bought a brand new 32" LCD from them a few years ago. By the end of the year I could have returned it saying I was disappointed and with the same amount of money get a 42" LCD. People do abuse that and it is wrong.

The return policy is a major reason why I went with Costco in the first place. Every other place selling LCD's all went on about their convoluted return policy over dead pixels, saying so many have to be gone in a certain quadrant of the screen, etc. Costco? You don't like it, bring it back.

Weapon_R
02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Same shit happened with Walmart a couple years ago. Before, you could bring back just about anything - even opened game systems or snowblowers...after winter. Full refund.

Now, 90 day limit applies, and if you dont have your receipt you can piss off.

Sorath
02-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Same shit happened with Walmart a couple years ago. Before, you could bring back just about anything - even opened game systems or snowblowers...after winter. Full refund.

Now, 90 day limit applies, and if you dont have your receipt you can piss off.

haha i have a buddy that buys furniture from walmart and lives in calgary and new brunswick frequently, whenever he moves over to one another city, he brings his shit back to walmart and gets store credit and uses the store credit to buy the stuff back from the other walmart, rofl

benyl
02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
caseoftheEx...

He wants to abuse it so bad that he even wants to return the membership...

There are a lot of losers in this world.

old&slow
02-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I simply cannot buy anything that will last a year...no joke...everything I buy quits!
I've started investing into extended warranties.Costco's return polices give a guy some balance to all the shit products!

And fuck the grammar lessons too!

Xtrema
02-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
I simply cannot buy anything that will last a year...no joke...everything I buy quits!

You need a grounding strip hooked to your ass like they do on cars.

:D

Canadian 2.5RS
02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
well that sucks I just bought a new TV there this weekend. The only reason I bought there was because I knew that if it crapped out in a few months I could return it. Their warranty was the main reason I bought from there. I guess I will have to return it and go buy it somewhere else that offers an extended warranty.

modded46
02-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell

More and more less quality sentences are being written too.

I think you mean that more lower-quality products are being produced. Well, it's a good guess, but no:

It really is because people were abusing it.

:clap: :banghead: :D
'
Well put Everyone knows that's why Wal-Mart is such a bitch to return stuff to now. Try taking back a Xbox or most other electronic items.. NEver used to be like that.

Hadoken
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
well that sucks I just bought a new TV there this weekend. The only reason I bought there was because I knew that if it crapped out in a few months I could return it. Their warranty was the main reason I bought from there. I guess I will have to return it and go buy it somewhere else that offers an extended warranty.
you still have your warranty...

the costco changes are to USA stores only..

See this news story:
http://www.dailytech.com/Costco+Changes+Return+Policy+to+Curb+Abuse/article6237.htm

HyperZell
02-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS

Originally posted by Hadoken

you still have your warranty...

the costco changes are to USA stores only..

See this news story:
http://www.dailytech.com/Costco+Changes+Return+Policy+to+Curb+Abuse/article6237.htm

Right, like said, this is a US thing for now, but don't be surprised to see Canada following suit soon. Also, even if the policy did change here, you get a two-year warranty from Costco. That's better than everyone else I know, so no, you don't have to return your TV.

Do people bother reading posts comprehensively anymore?

A2VR6
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Do people bother reading posts comprehensively anymore?

Off topic, but what do you really expect? There hasnt been one fourm i've been a member of that has EVERYONE reading posts "comprehensively".

HyperZell
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Off topic, but what do you really expect? There hasnt been one fourm i've been a member of that has EVERYONE reading posts "comprehensively".

Yeah, I don't expect everyone to do it, but man this forum seems to have a higher-than-usual amount that don't.

The Cosworth
02-28-2007, 10:38 PM
I just bought a new TV there and find I never damned well use the thing. I have the TV all the cords, the remote and the TV. Do I need the box and other things to return it

I am trying to sell it but will loose 200.00 if I do or I could just take it back?

HyperZell
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
I just bought a new TV there and find I never damned well use the thing. I have the TV all the cords, the remote and the TV. Do I need the box and other things to return it

I am trying to sell it but will loose 200.00 if I do or I could just take it back?

Take it back; the new policy is not in effect yet (just in California).

01RedDX
02-28-2007, 10:49 PM

The Cosworth
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
I was just concerned because I am not sure what I need to take it back?

Do I need the original box or the receipt?

Rav4Guy
02-28-2007, 11:41 PM
The more that people abuse the system, the faster they'll fasttrack people from returning it in the future.

If it's seriously broken or something's wrong.. by all means bring it back. BUT.. for those people that are returning just for the sake of returning it.... find another place to spend your hard-earned money.

Brendan... you'll need both.