Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Car Forums > Automotive Aesthetics / Electronics > Car Care, Detailing and Body Work

how to remove tar? - Click HERE for Original Thread

EG_Civic
does anyone know an ez was off removing tar off car paint?
sneek
Theres an easy way but it might not be super safe.

Most bug and tar removers contain xylene which can be pretty harsh on paint. Some people say it can lead to premature clear coat failure.
Slashin_
try brakecleen?
r3
engine decreser

if not much tar just scrap it with razor and touch it up
djayz
Turtle bug and tar wipes...I think canadian tire sells them if not try walmart. Its basically a baby wipe but with a different solution. Ive taken tar, sap, grease/dirt from engine bay off with these things and they work great. Another thing you can try is wd-40.
TEAMFaint
Originally posted by Slashin_
try brakecleen?
r3
engine decreser

if not much tar just scrap it with razor and touch it up

Never use a brake cleaner EVER on paint. You want to see a paintjob go bye bye? Like right in front of your eyes?

Go pick up some product called M600. Should be able to pick it up at any auto store.

Spray, let sit for a minute, whipe off with a papel towel. Repeat.

R!zz0
peanut butter.
sneek
Yikes... a fairly safe product is Tarminatior. It is made by the same guys who make Invisible Glass. Autoglym makes a tar remove too. If you really have to you can even try Mineral Spirits.

Some people suggest using diesel. I have no idea how aggresive diesel is though.
carter_prelude
Originally posted by TEAMFaint

Never use a brake cleaner EVER on paint. You want to see a paintjob go bye bye? Like right in front of your eyes?

Go pick up some product called M600. Should be able to pick it up at any auto store.

Spray, let sit for a minute, whipe off with a papel towel. Repeat.

i think your thinking of brake FLUID. brake clean is just alcohol really....as far as i know. brake fluid will take your paint right off tho

modded46
I had quite a bit of tar on my car and the best thing by far is clay. You can get it on Ebay or from Canadian Tire.. basically it's a bar of clay that you rub on your car and what it does is the tar or dirt or whatever, sticks to the clay to remove it.. TRUST ME on this one.. It works big time, sap, tar, anything that "sticks" to your car.. And does absolutely nothing to your paint cause the clearcoat won't stick to the clay.
EG_Civic
how about for tar that been on there for like 10 months? lol
JRSC00LUDE
Clay bars are great but WD-40 is all you need for tar, try it with a good cloth and liberal application and it'll come right off.
GTS Jeff
Originally posted by TEAMFaint

Brake cleaner is what you use to clean brake fluid off your paint.

richardchan2002
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Clay bars are great but WD-40 is all you need for tar, try it with a good cloth and liberal application and it'll come right off.

:werd:

DC2
goo gone?
sneek
Goo Gone has xylene.
carter_prelude
^ whats that do? just wondering, im not trying to be an ass by questioning you...but i honestly don't know what it is or what it does to your paint... :thumbsup:
Chris88CL
Gas line antifreeze. Works wonders on tree sap too.

M600 works but its more for bodyshop use. I've never seen it sold in anything smaller than the one gallon tins.
sneek
Originally posted by carter_prelude
^ whats that do? just wondering, im not trying to be an ass by questioning you...but i honestly don't know what it is or what it does to your paint... :thumbsup:

:D I'm glad you asked.

It's kind of late so I'm not going to type a story but here:
http://www.autoint.com/tips/oem_clearcoat_fail.php

its close to the bottom.

"The photo on the left is a highly magnified picture of clearcoat failure. As you can see, the entire film is coming apart. No amount of buffing, polishing or waxing will repair this concern. The only concern resolution is to refinish the area.

The photo on the right is of "cracking" or "checking " of the clearcoat film. This may be due to improper application of the paint or as is usually the case, the paint has been wiped at one time or another with a solvent such as paint thinner, lacquer thinner or a cleaning solvent such as an over the counter Wax/Grease/Tar Remover which contained xylene in the formula."

I think Xylene is even used in paint thinners, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I'm pretty sure it is pretty bad for you too, so I generally like to stay away from these type of products.

djayz
what would you guys recommend for taking the clear coat layer off headlights lenses? I started wetsanding mine and now theres spots all over the place where you can notice a difference like a clear coat layer has come off. Ive tried sanding the rest but its thick in certain areas and thin in other so its a bitch and a half to do the whole thing.
sneek
Could you get pics?
86_lude_86
would the wd-40 work on rims. i have some tar from driving on a freshly paved road. turns out it was to fresh and BAM tar. im not exactly sure how to go about getting it off. any ideas on that one?
86_lude_86
anyone?
sneek
depends on what kind of rims. Assuming they are clear coated, it is probably okay, try it on the inside of the rim first.
sputnik
Originally posted by R!zz0
peanut butter.

quoted for the truth!

86_lude_86
ya they are clear coated. how do i do it with peanut butter. just like leave it on for ten minutes or....?

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog