Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Car Forums > Automotive Aesthetics / Electronics > Car Care, Detailing and Body Work

Tips on keeping a black car clean - Click HERE for Original Thread

reno97637
It's my first time having a black car and it's seriously tough keeping it clean and scratch free. To those who have black cars, what do you guys use to dry the car, polish, etc.? Any other tips?
rage2
I've owned nothing but black cars for the last 7 years. The secret? It's simple... wash it everyday! :rofl:

Seriously... buy a california duster and dust it everyday. Have it power polished at least once a year. It's a never ending struggle... haha.
sneek
Wash every other day with 2 buckets (both with Grit Guards) Sometimes if I am lazy I use something like UQD and just apply it to fill in some light swirls, but I polish my car quite often with a very very light polish.
97'Scort
Dust for sure, also keep a supply of clean microfibres with something like Meguiar's Quik Detailer for getting the tougher stuff. I recommend using a sealant on your paint (let it cure in the garage for a day or so) then wax. Klasse is pretty good for an all-in-one type solution, or others like Shining Monkey or Meguiar's Pro line also have good stuff.
bennyhanna
Lol

The ONLY way to keep a black car clean ( Ive owned 3) is to Never drive it.

If it looks like Rain, leave the car at home.

Black looks the Best when fully detailed! Just follow what Rage says
riced
you gotta watch your wash and dry method, this causes the most swirls

the dust is never ending though its such a pain, but when black is clean its the most amazing colour.

just a word on the california duster... its a good product, but use it when you have light dust only, light enough that you could blow it off and on a cool car.. the duster is treated with wax and if you use it on a warm/hot car, the wax will rub onto the car and look like crap.

I don't even bother with a quick detailer and I just wash it.. I find quick detailing can swirl it up pretty good if you don't have a good microfiber cloth.

Polish can be done 1-3 times a year.. wax occasionally.. blah blah
thats the magic
Doozer
My wife bought me a Norwex cloth to use for drying the car ... I was skeptical at first, but honestly, it's the only thing I've ever seen that dries the car streak-free. Absolutely amazing.
redline
paint it white....:dunno:
dmtx
wax the car 2x a year... get the Klasse all in one and sealant.... most of the time I just have to use the California duster.... sometimes when it leaves marks after it rained, I use a damp microfiber cloth from Costco.... Try to avoid car washes and car shampoo, it has a lot of abrasives.....
JAYMEZ
I have a love/hate relationship with my black cars... I just wash them like they are human beings who need a shower every damn day. :banghead:
4doorj
hahah a keeping a black car clean...
it never works :rofl:
i gave up on black
it looks soooooooooooo good when clean, like a mirror...
but thats only for about 2 minutes... t hen it has a full layer of dust on it
Graham_A_M
I drive like a grandma in alley-ways, so I kick up as little dust as possible, I wash the car once every three or 4 days, even thats a bit much since it doesn't show too much dust. Once every two-three weeks I give it a good wax job using some pretty high-end wax, and that makes all the difference. :thumbsup:

EDIT" Oh yeah, and when its windy, dont drive it! Nothing makes a car dusty quite like a strong wind can.
Dayclone
Aww man I hate my Bimmer cause it's black but soo sexy at the same time when it's clean.

Wash it, and dust it, and polish once a year!

Wash it whwen it's dirty obviously,

and Calgary being the dustiest city I've ever seen, dust it. Like literally everynight!

Steve
reno97637
Originally posted by dmtx
wax the car 2x a year... get the Klasse all in one and sealant.... most of the time I just have to use the California duster.... sometimes when it leaves marks after it rained, I use a damp microfiber cloth from Costco.... Try to avoid car washes and car shampoo, it has a lot of abrasives.....

What do you mean by avoiding car washes? Are you talking about the wand wash car washes or the automated car wash places?

dmtx
when you wax your car and apply the sealant you are already protecting your paint from a lot of contaminants. It will help you a lot in not having to wash your car coz you can easily remove them with duster or damp cloth. So when you shampoo your car with harsh abrasives often you are removing your wax/sealant.. who knows about those car wash shampoo and how much abrasive they have... I just wash my car with water and use the microfiber cloth.

In calgary, usually you get dust then it rains and it will leave ring marks... but with the coat of wax and sealant, you shouldn't have to shampoo it... there are times that california duster can remove them... when it really gets stuborn, i just hose the car with water and then dry it with microfiber cloth... or go to those wand washers and manually wash it without having to use shampoo.

After waxing your car, your finger should be able to slide through the paint smoothly... after shampooing your car for a number of times, see how it looks clean but your finger wont slide smoothly... it means your wax and sealant is all off...
euro_racer
had a few of them so far and i pretty much visit the car wash every day :rofl:

even if they sit in the garage and are not driven they get dirty :drama:
gmoney82
Where can u get the california duster? i just use the swiffer dust pads but they dont seem to work very well
riced
canadian tire has em
gmoney82
Anyone here has used the waterblade with the silicon blade on it? Its amazing when it wants to work, saves me alot of time just getting the water off, but some reason when i go over certain body panels, it skids and creates skid marks which i have to polish off
hingkit
My secret: Eagle One - Wax As You Dry

1. I spray down the car with a hose
2. Spray WAUD sparsely over the panels
3. Dry with good MFs

Shines like its been waxed.

I seal my car every season with acrylic sealant glaze.
I try to wax once a week.

I love black but i'm going white next time around.
teggypimp95
Originally posted by gmoney82
Anyone here has used the waterblade with the silicon blade on it? Its amazing when it wants to work, saves me alot of time just getting the water off, but some reason when i go over certain body panels, it skids and creates skid marks which i have to polish off

Using a water blade is probably the biggest mistake you can do. You have no idea the scratchs you will put in your clear coat with that thing. There is no way to get every speck of dirt when you clean your car. So what you missed, u are now dragging across your paint with a rubber blade.
The lazy way will make more work for you in the end.

I love having black and dark colored cars. here are my tips.

Never use the brush at the car wash - will just cause swirls.
Power polish or do a 3 step wax system on it with a good wax sealent. If it always has a nice coat of wax on it, you are less likely to damage your paint.

Do the two bucket system like said above, one with soapy water, one with clean water to rinse your wash mitt.

Wash your shamoice (sp) after every use. If its nice and clean, its less likly to cause scratches when drying your car.

Do not wash or dry your car in direct sunlight. The black heats up very quick causing some nasty water stains.

Go to the car saloon on 32nd ave and get your self a meguirs califonia duster. Works awesome. I keep one in my trunk.

For finger prints or anything else, use a nice soft micro fiber (remembering to remove the tag) and some meguires quick exterior detailer.

Your car should stay a nice dark mirror image if your anal about it all.

Dont forget, when its time to wax again, always clay bar first! This will remove any old wax, oxidation, pollution, tar, and tons of stuff your eyes cant see. Clay baring is the key to keeping the car shining.

Also replace your wash mitt often and keep an eye on the condition of your chamoise. If it gets warn out, it will no longer be smooth on your paint.

I follow these steps even with my dark blue Jetta and on my last black gti.

teggypimp95
Originally posted by hingkit
My secret: Eagle One - Wax As You Dry

1. I spray down the car with a hose
2. Spray WAUD sparsely over the panels
3. Dry with good MFs

Shines like its been waxed.

I seal my car every season with acrylic sealant glaze.
I try to wax once a week.

I love black but i'm going white next time around.

Waxing once a week will cause u more harm than good. You will start to get a very nasty build up and your paint will look cloudy. It will also be harder to remove so much wax. I would only be waxing one a week if your removing it with a clay bar every few coats. Unless you are taking about the eagle one wax as you dry. Because that stuff isent actully wax. And it washes off when you wash your car.

SilverRex
I never owned a black vehicle but in the event I do,

would I get away with washing once every time I gas up and getting a full exterior detailed at a shop once a year?

am I under or over estimating the chore it takes to maintain a black vehicle? :dunno:
teggypimp95
Originally posted by SilverRex
I never owned a black vehicle but in the event I do,

would I get away with washing once every time I gas up and getting a full exterior detailed at a shop once a year?

am I under or over estimating the chore it takes to maintain a black vehicle? :dunno:

I would say wash it once a week. Getting it detailed professionally at the start of summer is not a bad idea, but i would also maintain it with some wax and the steps i have mentioned above. Giving it some good wax before winter is also a great idea to protect agaist all the salt.

It really depends how anal you are about your cars paint. If you care about every swirl and imperfection, then its alot of work. If you just like it clean and to shine decently then you would need to be as hard core.

gmoney82
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Using a water blade is probably the biggest mistake you can do. You have no idea the scratchs you will put in your clear coat with that thing. There is no way to get every speck of dirt when you clean your car. So what you missed, u are now dragging across your paint with a rubber blade.
The lazy way will make more work for you in the end.

I love having black and dark colored cars. here are my tips.

Never use the brush at the car wash - will just cause swirls.
Power polish or do a 3 step wax system on it with a good wax sealent. If it always has a nice coat of wax on it, you are less likely to damage your paint.

Do the two bucket system like said above, one with soapy water, one with clean water to rinse your wash mitt.

Wash your shamoice (sp) after every use. If its nice and clean, its less likly to cause scratches when drying your car.

Do not wash or dry your car in direct sunlight. The black heats up very quick causing some nasty water stains.

Go to the car saloon on 32nd ave and get your self a meguirs califonia duster. Works awesome. I keep one in my trunk.

For finger prints or anything else, use a nice soft micro fiber (remembering to remove the tag) and some meguires quick exterior detailer.

Your car should stay a nice dark mirror image if your anal about it all.

Dont forget, when its time to wax again, always clay bar first! This will remove any old wax, oxidation, pollution, tar, and tons of stuff your eyes cant see. Clay baring is the key to keeping the car shining.

Also replace your wash mitt often and keep an eye on the condition of your chamoise. If it gets warn out, it will no longer be smooth on your paint.

I follow these steps even with my dark blue Jetta and on my last black gti.

Cool,..thanks for the heads up. I loved the water blade, but ocassional would find a smear on the clear coat which sucks! California duster on the way!

riced
teggy, it sort alooks like your hood got owned by rock chips and stuff
i have the same on my black car.. its so depressing hahaa
teggypimp95
yeah it was owned by rock chips. I touched them up the best i could. here is a pic before i detailed it.

treg50
Musts:
- a really good wax job
- park it in the garage for overnight and when you're at home

Extremes:
- car cover. For me it's an extreme it would be very annoying to always have to put this on and take it off, especially if it's your only car.
92_VTEC_lude
I waxed my car every 2 weeks with Turtle cheap $7/bottle wax using a professional polish/sander machine which I bought from EBAY for US $23 bucks shipped. I do not see the need of using a $20/bottle of wax when I am waxing my car every 2 weeks anyway. My car shines enough to see myself in it even for a 1992 prelude with original black paint job on it.
Tik-Tok
Originally posted by bennyhanna
Lol

Lol, that doesn't even work in this province. I wash my car at night, the next morning it's already got dust on it.

The only solution is to move to the coast, humidity FTW!

riced
touch up paint can only do so much, I hate these roads
hingkit

Waxing once a week will cause u more harm than good. You will start to get a very nasty build up and your paint will look cloudy. It will also be harder to remove so much wax. I would only be waxing one a week if your removing it with a clay bar every few coats. Unless you are taking about the eagle one wax as you dry. Because that stuff isent actully wax. And it washes off when you wash your car.

When I did spend that much time on my car ..
I would clay ever so often ... plus wax is easy to remove a proper wash ... so don't worry ...

the worst part is cleaning my rims ... anyone with a ZHP can testify ... its a bitch!

yea WAUD isn't real wax but its a god-send for a quick detail.

Also, claying so much isn't good for your car my friend.

teggypimp95
Of corse claying isent good for your car so much. Thats why you should only wax your ride every few months after you clay bar. Hell washing your car so much is not good for it either.
hingkit
The things we do to keep our cars clean .. haha ..
Thats one nice / clean jetta you have jr.
:thumbsup:
Strider
Of corse claying isent good for your car so much. Thats why you should only wax your ride every few months after you clay bar. Hell washing your car so much is not good for it either.

Wax once every few months? you must be using some amazing wax... I can already tell my wax is gone after 2-3 weeks. Then again I wash my car a minimum of twice a week to keep it presentable.

teggypimp95
Yeah the more u wash the more you will have to wax it. I also do about 2 coats and a sealent when i wax. it will last alot long then.
sneek

:P Obviously you have never met a Zaino guy have you? They do countless coats on their cars.
I haven't seen any of this "wax build up" before. I used to wax my car daily. I am pretty sure that this wax build up deal is marketing hype for 2 reasons. 1. I have waxed my car with maybe 2 dozen different waxes, and when I was getting into detailing, I did wax everyday with a pure wax. 2. Almost every OTC wax on the shelves is a cleaner wax. I think the only OTC wax that is not is Meguiar's #26 and Mother's Paste wax. Gold Class, NXT and and TWPUG all have light cleaners. I think that TWPUG has some pretty good cleaners in it. A sealant like M20 has enough cleaners in it to remove the previous coat. I usually just do a second coat to ensure even coverage.

but a really good LSP combo is
M20->M21-> M16
I am in Vancouver right now, but I will show you some pics of some black cars I have done with this combo.

KKY
I can see how waxing too often can potentially increase the chance of creating swirls and scratching though (if done incorrectly).
HiSpec
sigh... black cars... the time we spend on making them look pretty.

sneek, so about the M16, when are you free?!?!
sneek
Originally posted by HiSpec
sigh... black cars... the time we spend on making them look pretty.

sneek, so about the M16, when are you free?!?!

I will get back to calgary pretty late tomorrow, so how does sometime Tues sound?

Proboscis
Originally posted by bennyhanna
Lol

best said

gmoney82
I just bought the California Duster from Canadian tire for $24.99. This things awesome for cleaning the dust off dark/black cars. Even parking in a garage/parkade can leave a grimey film. works awesome and doesnt scratch, i bought it on recommendation from another beyonder...

heres a coupon for $10 off $40 @ CT...valid till sept 8...
http://www.jerryhung.ca/CT%20$10%20off%20$40%20Coupon.pdf
dmtx
^ the dirtier the California duster gets, the better it works... brand new is color red and mine is like charcoal grey now and works like you wouldn't believe....
Inzane
Originally posted by gmoney82
I just bought the California Duster from Canadian tire for $24.99. This things awesome for cleaning the dust off dark/black cars. Even parking in a garage/parkade can leave a grimey film. works awesome and doesnt scratch, i bought it on recommendation from another beyonder...

heres a coupon for $10 off $40 @ CT...valid till sept 8...
http://www.jerryhung.ca/CT%20$10%20off%20$40%20Coupon.pdf

The california duster CAN scratch. You just have to be really careful with it. Always gently brush, don't bear down on it, and be careful not to use it when the car gets TOO dirty.

gmoney82
Originally posted by Inzane

The california duster CAN scratch. You just have to be really careful with it. Always gently brush, don't bear down on it, and be careful not to use it when the car gets TOO dirty.

I always give it a light shake....or run my fingers though it to get any excess dirt out.

Actually anything can scratch your car if not properly used. I've made enough 'mistakes' on my car this year, that my next full detail in the spring should be flawless

jdm|EG
just becasue of this thread.
im never going to buy a black car. haha
sneek
Originally posted by jdm|EG
just becasue of this thread.
im never going to buy a black car. haha

I think I am... Gen8 Accord test drive - Oct 6 :D

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog