PDA

View Full Version : WTF- $90 oil change at Lexus....non synthetic...do they use gold? Couple questions...

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 04:40 PM
So I just had a transmission replaced at Lexus Calgary under warranty and figured I should get an oil change while I'm there. I used to get full synthetic from Mr. Lube and a free paper and coffee for $90.

I'm expecting to pay $40-$45 max for the oil change and when she is going through the bill, she says I owe $90!! I first asked her if she was joking and she said no. I then asked her if it was synthetic, and she said no to that as well.

Non synthetic too! haha I cannot get over that.

So- is this the real price there or did I get hosed for some reason?

Why is my oil change interval 8000 km?

Does this car use 5w-20? It says 5w-20 on the bill but I was certain they used 5w-30.

I am used to Honda's and Infinitis and every other car that uses 5w-30 and 5k intervals...whats the deal here?

What a pounding...should have at least come with a bottle of KY for $90.

:thumbsdow

lexIS300
10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
its synthetic, i dont remeber paying 90 bucks for a oil change haha ill go check to see what i paid.

and i have no idea why its 8000 for a oil change i think bmw does it as well?

Hakkola
10-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Oil change for my car at the dealership is a little over $100 for synthetic.

bobby_lu
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Big deal?:dunno:

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
those toyota engines are so effcient they recomend 8000km intervals. through years of research

lexIS300
10-25-2007, 04:53 PM
just checked mine was 73 dollars for premium 5w30 oil

49.50 for labour 23.50 for the oil

Kobe
10-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Doesn't BMW take 8L of oil? Lexus might as well?

Aleks
10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I paid $95 for an oil change at VW for the Rabbit. 8000km interval. They did replace my keyfob battery for free though :banghead:

The sad part is I have access to another dealer that would have done it for $25 (employee discount :banghead: )

Lesson learned. LOL

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
alot of the toyota engines are running on 5w-20.

if its the IS300 if I recall corectly it takes around 4.5L

lexIS300
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
for my car it needs about 6L

i think they also charge 10 dollars for shop fee.

haha you think a 90 dollar oil change is rape. dont break your abs sensor haha they want $455. bought the sensor for 30 bucks and i can replace it myself

adidas
10-25-2007, 05:02 PM
You drive a Lexus, should be understandable.

I paid $80 for an oil change the first time i got my car(at the vw dealer) and they havent seen me since.

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
Big deal?:dunno:

Thanks for the most well-thought out post of the year!!!

And to everyone else who chimed in, thanks for your replies.

It is the IS300 as well.

I see it says Premium 5w-20. What is premium?

I know she told me it was not synthetic and I highly doubt that considering the labor alone was $54- Synthetic is like $8 a liter. Synthetic at Mr. Lube is like $90 so I know for a fact that they wont compete with them...it is a dealership after all.

I am complaining but I'm over it- just trying to understand the type of oil used and interval...new to me. I've always been treated great and had great service at Mr. Lube so Lexus wont see me again for an oil change thats for darn sure.

Takahashi
10-25-2007, 05:09 PM
you could have done it yourself for $30....

:burnout:

Slashin_
10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
So I just had a transmission replaced at Lexus Calgary under warranty and figured I should get an oil change while I'm there. I used to get full synthetic from Mr. Lube and a free paper and coffee for $90.

I'm expecting to pay $40-$45 max for the oil change and when she is going through the bill, she says I owe $90!! I first asked her if she was joking and she said no. I then asked her if it was synthetic, and she said no to that as well.

Non synthetic too! haha I cannot get over that.

So- is this the real price there or did I get hosed for some reason?

Why is my oil change interval 8000 km?

Does this car use 5w-20? It says 5w-20 on the bill but I was certain they used 5w-30.

I am used to Honda's and Infinitis and every other car that uses 5w-30 and 5k intervals...whats the deal here?

What a pounding...should have at least come with a bottle of KY for $90.

:thumbsdow

sound like they used syn,and girl upfront is clueless
or they charged you or Tran fluid, and listed as oil

as for the interval they depend on the acually dealership
ex at mine we change at 6000, but some other dealership, but of same manufact will use 7000,or8000
theres a recommended, but when they sell cars they will often offer free oilcahnge as part of the deal,but the manufact will limit the number of free oil changes, to like 3/year, so avg km per year is 20000ish /3 =6666.3333
some are 4 20000/4 = 5000
so i am gueese your is 2.5 20000/2.5 =8000

was it this car that u previously put syntheic in?
cause your not suppose to switch back to normal oil after u swith to syn.

and you cant even compare mr.lube to dealership
yes mr.lube is cheaper has more incentive to go in.

dealership know your car like that back of your hand,and use oem parts, oem parts have standardized, meaning for ex that after market brake pad would still have minor abestist content while oem will not have it.
dealershiip charge more, cause your paying them for there knowledge, and knowledge of lexus's

u got a free tranny i dunno why your complaing,trust me if they wanted to they can find the stupidest things to void warranty

Team_Mclaren
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Takahashi
you could have done it yourself for $30....

:burnout:

omfg, best advise in this thread YET

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/71/200px-Jt_cry_me_a_river.jpg

JordanEG6
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
a buddy pays porsche about $600. but its supposed to be good for 24, 000.

infected
10-25-2007, 05:20 PM
The intervals are up to you, the dealer will recommend an interval but at the end of the day its up to you whether you change your oil or not.

Most newer vehicles are using 5/20. It doesn't matter what they actually put in because if it was done at the dealer then its assumed the job was done right. If it was done elsewhere then you would want to make sure you put in what they recommend so they don't try to pull off something sneaky when you go in for a repair under warranty.

5/20 is also more expensive than 5/30 so I guess $90 is ALRIGHT for a dealer. :dunno:

n1zm0
10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
intervals do not depend on dealership, they are running as specified in maintenance manual, the make's headquaters at Honda canada or Toyota canada don't say 'hey why don't you guys decide when the customer should come in for oil changes', the engineers decide that.

for instance Acura TL/MDX are 6k TSX,CSX,RSX(Premium),EL are 8k, imo its BS, you should change your oil at 6k no later.

edit: oh ya back on topic, 90$ sounds steep for a non-synthetic oil change, which came from their oil pumps in the shop (usually bulk oil from shell, esso etc..)

and ya you coulda done it yourself, learn once, you'll never forget..

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah well I have no clue what was in here before as I bought it used. I was not aware that 5w-20 was more expensive either.

I still dont think it was synthetic though...the oil only cost $25 on the invoice... :dunno:

It says premium on the bill.

And I'm definitely not complaining about the free transmission. Its probably my fault for not figuring out the price of an oil change, assuming that it was going to be reasonable.

mark4091
10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

........ I'd rather change it every 5-8 and know the oils good, and save money

But to each they're own.

Jason Lange
10-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I pay $98 for my oil changes at the ford dealership and my truck takes 15 liters!

jibber
10-25-2007, 05:50 PM
My car rus $180 for a normal service, $350 for the extensive service, and I have to alternate between a normal and an extensive service every 8000 km.

Just had my first big service, oil & filter, air filter, and a 300 point check, plus swap over to winter tires. And I only take 2.7 L of Mobil1 0w40 full synthetic.

The bill came to $534 after tax, and I supplied the tires.

Which means the bill for just my oil change and filters cost $400.

All the money I save in fuel just goes right back to the stealership :(

riced
10-25-2007, 05:51 PM
I drive the newer 06 civics and my oil change is about 80-90 depending on whether I decide to drive to high river or stay in calgary.
it takes 4L and the change is regular 5w-20...

recently, I've been going to my uncles shop and he can do a regular oil change for 45, plus a little extra for synthetic.. however I buy my own synthetic.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Elmo's Automotive or PAZ automotive.. both are my uncles and they specialize in Toyota/Lexus. Good shops, honesty and good service can't be beat. Should check them out

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by riced
I drive the newer 06 civics and my oil change is about 80-90 depending on whether I decide to drive to high river or stay in calgary.

recently, I've been going to my uncles shop and he can do a regular oil change for 45, plus a little extra for synthetic.. however I buy my own synthetic.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with Elmo's Automotive or PAZ automotive.. both are my uncles and they specialize in Toyota/Lexus. Good shops, honesty and good service can't be beat. Should check them out

Thanks I might have to check those out when I need some work done- I'm looking for a Lexus dealership alternative as I refuse to pay their labour rate and retarded prices.

Thanks for all of the insight in this thread everyone- I guess I though that only I get ripped off lol. Its off to Mr. Lube or elsewhere for my next one.

riced
10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
My Uncle who owns Elmo's AUtomotive... (Elmo, obviously) his son had just bought a Lexus IS300, so I have no doubt that they would be able to work on it much like any other lexus dealership.

In fact, to back up my suggestion.. if you search elmo's automotive on here.. there has been talk about his shop and how good he is. - I'm not trying to promote his business or anything, just trying to help you find a more than reliable, honest place that'll get you good work with a good price tag.
Hope it works out for you man

icecreamvan
10-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JDMSupraTT
My car rus $180 for a normal service, $350 for the extensive service, and I have to alternate between a normal and an extensive service every 8000 km.

Just had my first big service, oil & filter, air filter, and a 300 point check, plus swap over to winter tires. And I only take 2.7 L of Mobil1 0w40 full synthetic.

The bill came to $534 after tax, and I supplied the tires.

Which means the bill for just my oil change and filters cost $400.

All the money I save in fuel just goes right back to the stealership :(

Extensive service = oil change and air filter plus 300 point check?
wtf...are there even 300 points in a smrt car?:rofl:

riced
10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

no kidding LOL
many places have that kind of sales pitch to make you think they're actually checking 300 things. THey probably check door dings, if the door opens properly to spec, if the hood opens etc..

honda services... B1, in particular (for those who are familiar with honda services) include an oil change, filter change and a VISUAL suspension, exhaust check and other minor things for $180.
I ain't paying 100+ for someone to do a visual check.

962 kid
10-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Pure rape :thumbsdow

Neil4Speed
10-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I remember asking Lexus when I was shopping for an SC400 how much an oil change would be and got this number. Definitely excessive, I decided that if I ever got an oil change on an SC, I would go to Toyota, and bring my own synthetic.

jibber
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

They don't list is as a 300 point check on the invoice, but that's basically what it is. Every second service, they basically go over the car with a fine tooth comb and fix any problems. The list that is covered in my Owner's Manual is actually quite extensive. The list for the normal service is basically a 99 point inspection, so every service is very thorough... I just wish they bought me dinner first.

Most owners of smarts do all their own oil changes, and just have the dealership do the extensive inspection every second oil change, then the costs of service are comparable to most vehicles.

FWIW, the EDM smarts with the same engine I have have a recommended service interval of 13,500 km, or 1 year. I think if I had that service interval, the extensive service list I have would make a lot more sense. It's a shame they didn't come up with a unique Canadian servicing schedule that is more appropriate with an 8000 km interval... we're basically doing the same services as they do in Eurpoe, but much more often.

gpomp
10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Great thread... would read again.... A+++

lexIS300
10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
My Uncle who owns Elmo's AUtomotive... (Elmo, obviously) his son had just bought a Lexus IS300, so I have no doubt that they would be able to work on it much like any other lexus dealership.

wish you woulda mentioned this earlier. imma bring my car here next time i need something done

riced
10-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by lexIS300

wish you woulda mentioned this earlier. imma bring my car here next time i need something done

both his sons are mechanics too that work under him.. so you'd definitely have no problems :thumbsup:

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 06:30 PM

In fact, to back up my suggestion.. if you search elmo's automotive on here.. there has been talk about his shop and how good he is. - I'm not trying to promote his business or anything, just trying to help you find a more than reliable, honest place that'll get you good work with a good price tag.
Hope it works out for you man

Beauty- thanks for the reference. :thumbsup:

BokCh0y
10-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I just had the oil changed on my IS on Saturday. Invoice states:

Premium 5w20 Oil
Total Labour and Parts $79.50 + GST

I also checked my other invoices, looks like they've been using Premium 5w20 for a while now. Some of the older invoices show premium 5w30. Overall coast ranges from $71 (older) to the newest at $79.50. Looks like they've changed the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. But all the invoices, they never physically state synthetic. However I did ask the people there on more than one occasion and they've all told me they use synthetic, so it sounds like the woman you talked to there is a tool.

Not sure why the price changed from 71 to 73 to 75 then 79.50. Maybe cuz production costs have gone up or because they changed to 5w20 oil.

You can always go to Toyota and have them change it, should be about $60 and since Toyota and Lexus is the same company....and the engine in the IS is essentially the same as the one in the Supra....you know they'll have parts in stock. The oil filter they use in my car has Toyota stamped all over it.

They recommend 8000k between changes, i asked them about this too and they said the Toyota oil is a higher quality or something but yeah that's the recommended intervals right from the dealership. I have 168k on my IS, it's been serviced since day one from Lexus and it still runs like it's new. Best car I've ever owned to be honest. The service there is a little pricy but when I compare it to the service I receive for my BMW from Calgary BMW or BMW Gallery....it's still cheaper. The oil change interval for my BMW is 15000miles....I change it at 7500miles or 12000km.

If you aren't happy with the Lexus prices then bring it to Toyota.

But in all honesty....dude you drive a Lexus, you can afford to pay for the service.

Remember pal - Gotta Pay to Play.

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I just had the oil changed on my IS on Saturday. Invoice states:

Premium 5w20 Oil
Total Labour and Parts $79.50 + GST

I also checked my other invoices, looks like they've been using Premium 5w20 for a while now. Some of the older invoices show premium 5w30. Overall coast ranges from $71 (older) to the newest at $79.50. Looks like they've changed the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. But all the invoices, they never physically state synthetic. However I did ask the people there on more than one occasion and they've all told me they use synthetic, so it sounds like the woman you talked to there is a tool.

Not sure why the price changed from 71 to 73 to 75 then 79.50. Maybe cuz production costs have gone up or because they changed to 5w20 oil.

You can always go to Toyota and have them change it, should be about $60 and since Toyota and Lexus is the same company....and the engine in the IS is essentially the same as the one in the Supra....you know they'll have parts in stock. The oil filter they use in my car has Toyota stamped all over it.

They recommend 8000k between changes, i asked them about this too and they said the Toyota oil is a higher quality or something but yeah that's the recommended intervals right from the dealership. I have 168k on my IS, it's been serviced since day one from Lexus and it still runs like it's new. Best car I've ever owned to be honest. The service there is a little pricy but when I compare it to the service I receive for my BMW from Calgary BMW or BMW Gallery....it's still cheaper. The oil change interval for my BMW is 15000miles....I change it at 7500miles or 12000km.

If you aren't happy with the Lexus prices then bring it to Toyota.

But in all honesty....dude you drive a Lexus, you can afford to pay for the service.

Remember pal - Gotta Pay to Play.

haha beauty post...exactly the info I was looking for. Mine was the exact same as yours- $79 + tax and shop fee= ~$90. And it was for the 5w-20 as well.

The car defenitely runs ALOT different with the new transmission and I might even keep it now...we'll see. :D :angel:

funkedelic
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
90?! i WISH my oil changes came out to that much at the dealership

Slashin_
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
intervals do not depend on dealership, they are running as specified in maintenance manual, the make's headquaters at Honda canada or Toyota canada don't say 'hey why don't you guys decide when the customer should come in for oil changes', the engineers decide that.

for instance Acura TL/MDX are 6k TSX,CSX,RSX(Premium),EL are 8k, imo its BS, you should change your oil at 6k no later.

edit: oh ya back on topic, 90$ sounds steep for a non-synthetic oil change, which came from their oil pumps in the shop (usually bulk oil from shell, esso etc..)

and ya you coulda done it yourself, learn once, you'll never forget..
i dunno dude i was pdi - in dealer transfer from somewhere else and i see 8000,7000,6000.....maybe its a korean car thing....
and that check list thing is BS......you check with out even lookin at it, or feeling it....IE hood release,timing belt,.....etc
theres thing in the list that no tech would every watse the time to acaully check, Like t-belt
smart car man got raped......proably so expensive to pay for there new showroom....

Supa Dexta
10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Great thread... would read again.... A+++

Stupid reply! got old after the first 30 times it was posted+++

B20EF
10-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Just got my oil and filter changed today at Honda South $36 plus tax, love my civic :thumbsup:

urban.one
10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
What dealer charges you that much?

That approaching double what most charge. Look online... some dealers have their prices listed.

Unless thats synthetic or the Si

\

kaput
10-25-2007, 09:34 PM

urban.one
10-25-2007, 10:44 PM
My old man has been dumping it down the sewer for decades.

Crazy eastern-euro.. wont take advice from his kid or listen to the media that its causing a bit of polution.

Originally posted by kaput

For you guys who change your own oil, how do you dispose of the dirty oil?

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by urban.one

Crazy eastern-euro.. wont take advice from his kid or listen to the media that its causing a bit of polution.

Thats horrible.:banghead: :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

Since you pay a deposit fee or whatever when you buy oil, take it back to Canadian Tire- you paid the fee and they have to take it back. I've done this and so have many friends.

I think the fire department might as well.

Team_BMW
10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Simple guys...

Buy an oil extractor, drain it out yourself instead of having to jack up the damn car.

Buy oil, and buy a oil filter and wala! save u lots of mula!

but my oil is expensive... Mobil 1 0w40...

and Bimmers take about 6.9 quarts so.. not so cheap.

Mckenzie
10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
^ Yeah but isn't the interval like 12k or 24k or something?

I know its pricey but the interval is longer for bimmers.

Altezza
10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I've always done the oil changes myself with Mobil1 5w-30 at intervals of 5-6k. In fact, I'm due for a change this weekend.

a social dsease
10-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by urban.one

thats horrible, this person deserve some time in jail to understand why that is unacceptable (at least in canada!)

Redlyne_mr2
10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Seems like its been a while since most of you have had to pay to have anything serviced at a dealership. Shop rates arent cheap in this city... 90 dollars at a luxury auto garage is dirt cheap when you compare it to MB, BMW, Porsche.. hell even chrysler. There is a reason mr Lube is cheaper... with anything car related.. do it yourself or pay to have it done right.:)

2EFNFAST
10-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Yikes, that's pretty steep - if I buy my own oil and bring my Z06 to Southagte Chevy they only charge me $19 for labor.

max_boost
10-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Shop rates are around $110/hour and given all the nice expansions/renovations/relocations going on, it probably helps cover most of it LOL

My Honda and Subarus, I will just take it to Mr. Lube or my hookups at TireCraft. For my BMW and MB, I have no choice but to take it to the dealer. It's the dealer service aspect that I'm most concerned with. Lot boys driving my lowered car over bumps, scraping it, mechanics always suggesting that something should be replaced, getting overcharged for small things. I'm at the point where I am going to give up driving a nicer car because I hate dealing with all the BS in service. I'll just pick up a Civic and call it a day and :whocares: if they were to trash it. :drama:

End rant.

eb0i
10-26-2007, 01:39 AM

80-90 for an 06 civic?! I drive an 03 Accord and it takes the regular 5w-20 and it's only $40 for an oil change at Crowfoot Honda...

My gf has the 07 civic Si and she pays the same as me (if I recall correctly, I will ask her tomorrow)...

Supa Dexta
10-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by kaput
For you guys who change your own oil, how do you dispose of the dirty oil?

Yeah I do mine all the time, 15-20 mins tops, I have an oil pn and from there I pour it into old washer fluid jugs, then just drop off the jugs at can tire or walmart (drive up to the bay doors and tell em your have some oil or them, where do they want it, they usually just point to a spot on the floor..

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Yikes, that's pretty steep - if I buy my own oil and bring my Z06 to Southagte Chevy they only charge me $19 for labor.

When you take your Z06, for an oil change, what oil does your Z06 get? What millage does your Z06 get between Z06 oil changes?

Mangina
10-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I though all 5W20's are at least semi-synthetic?

khtm
10-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Why don't you lazy bastards just do your own oil change instead of bitching about how expensive it is? :confused:

BokCh0y
10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

You drive a Z06? Wow didn't KNOW you drove a Z06. Must be nice to have a Z06. What type of oil do you use on your Z06? Wish I had a Z06....

infected
10-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Mangina

Nope.

riced
10-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by eb0i

80-90 for an 06 civic?! I drive an 03 Accord and it takes the regular 5w-20 and it's only $40 for an oil change at Crowfoot Honda...

My gf has the 07 civic Si and she pays the same as me (if I recall correctly, I will ask her tomorrow)...

well.. not just an oil change, the regular check up or something
A1 or something like that

tire rotation, oil change, filter change... can't remember what else
but I strictly remember having to pay in the $80 range
I don't think the newer honda's have "just an oil change" in their maintenance minder unless you bring it in regardless of it and just ask for an oil change. I go by what the car's maintenance thing tells me.
I'll have to double check the price, i swear it's ~80

LLLimit
10-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Gah
good thing i didnt go to lexus.
country hills toyota, express lube oil change

$19 & $15 for oil and labor = just under $40 i think
although the express lube wasnt so express.

?????
10-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Mangina

Its a "specialty" oil.

HRD2PLZ
10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Checking my service record, Lexus of Calgary's shop rate is $109/hr.

Lexus implemented a new service program like BMW, no charge service for 4yrs/80,000kms. For now it was for customer's who took delivery of their new Lexus in October, not sure if they will be extending that. So for me, no charge maintenance FTW!

BigMass
10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I recommend Mr. Lube. Wait 10min, ready a paper, drink your coffee, you're in, you're out. I trust the Mr. Lube on 16th more than i do my dealership (from personal experience). Oh yeah, and it's a Lexus, not a Pagani Zonda. Anybody can change the oil on it.

syeve
10-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

When you take your Z06, for an oil change, what oil does your Z06 get? What millage does your Z06 get between Z06 oil changes?

:D I think EVERYONE knows he drives a Z06, I wish one day I can own a Z06.

I agree with bigmass, oil change is an oil change, drive through's kick ass, stick to the recomended intervals.

E46..sTyLez
10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Originally posted by BokCh0y

You drive a Z06? Wow didn't KNOW you drove a Z06. Must be nice to have a Z06. What type of oil do you use on your Z06? Wish I had a Z06....

:rofl: :D

Canmorite
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe they're tying their oil change rate to the price of crude oil?

:D

JRSC00LUDE
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Yikes, that's pretty steep - if I buy my own oil and bring my Prelude to The Acura dealer they only charge me $19 for labor.

Oh yeah, I have a prelude. It's supercharged. I spent more money on it that many of you have spent on your cars. My car goes fast. Really eff'n fast. Perhaps it's even toooo eff'n fast. It's a prelude.

Did I mention yet that I have a supercharged prelude. It's supercharged. I like it, you should know.

I have a honda.

Oh, and I must be stupid because I don't do my own oil changes. Look at all the wasted money. Maybe that's why I can't afford a Z06. Who cares, I have a prelude.

It's supercharged. My prelude that is.

riced
10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Yikes, that's pretty steep - if I buy my own oil and bring my Prelude to The Acura dealer they only charge me $19 for labor.

Oh yeah, I have a prelude. It's supercharged. I spent more money on it that many of you have spent on your cars. My car goes fast. Really eff'n fast. Perhaps it's even toooo eff'n fast. It's a prelude.

Did I mention yet that I have a supercharged prelude. It's supercharged. I like it, you should know.

I have a honda.

Oh, and I must be stupid because I don't do my own oil changes. Look at all the wasted money. Maybe that's why I can't afford a Z06. Who cares, I have a prelude.

It's supercharged. My prelude that is.

:D :D :D

benyl
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I'm at the point where I am going to give up driving a nicer car because I hate dealing with all the BS in service. I'll just pick up a Civic and call it a day and :whocares: if they were to trash it. :drama:

End rant.

I call BS. :drama: :drama: :drama: :drama:

ZyaL8R
10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
You can drop off oil at crappy tire? Awesome! I've always gone to a fire station. There's like a list of 'recycle dropoff spots' listed on the City website.

Oh to the OP, change your own oil from now on and save $$$. The last time I went to mr. lube they torqued the shit out of the oilpan bolt (like way past spec), so I decided to just never go there again. :dunno:

Not only is it cheaper but you know exactly what's going into your car.

Mckenzie
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Maybe they're tying their oil change rate to the price of crude oil?

Lol- Well a liter of regular oil is what, like $4...would kinda be funny to see oil changes fluctuate daily.

I hate the fact that they are getting some tech in training who is making like $12 an hour to do this change like they do with the high school guys at Mr. Lube.

My invoice:

Labour: $54.50 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oil and Filter: $25
Shop Supplies: $5.45
GST: $5.10
Total: $90.05

Lesson learned. End of story....I cant believe the response in this thread- 2 pages lol.

Good discussion everyone.

:)

Weapon_R
10-26-2007, 02:01 PM
haha wow $55 to unscrew a bolt?

Mckenzie
10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

haha yeah thats why I asked if she was joking.

Considering they were changing my transmission, which involved the car being on the hoist, up in the air, that is why I was surprised/shocked by this. I guess I am used to my mechanic who will overlap jobs/labour charges for me. :dunno:

gpomp
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
shop charges $110 per hour. they charged you half an hour of labour. i don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

Mckenzie
10-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
shop charges $110 per hour. they charged you half an hour of labour. i don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

I don't know if you are just being a knob or playing Devil's advocate- I'm over the price of the oil change. And in case you cannot read, I had other questions regarding other issues.

I was surprised to see them charge as much as 2x other places for the exact same service...a Lexus oil change is no different than one from Mr. lube, less the filter...they charge less than 1/2. Would you not be surprised?

:rolleyes:

Team_Mclaren
10-26-2007, 05:15 PM

I don't know if you are just being a knob or playing Devil's advocate- I'm over the price of the oil change. And in case you cannot read, I had other questions regarding other issues.

I was surprised to see them charge as much as 2x other places for the exact same service...a Lexus oil change is no different than one from Mr. lube, less the filter...they charge less than 1/2. Would you not be surprised?

no... because its a dealership? i thought its common sense that most dealerships charge more than Mr.Ms.Quick.Fast.Lude

lets think it over:

look at schedule, find the keys, go get the car from the lot, put car on hoist, unscrew, drain, remove filter, replace filter, rescrew, lower car, add oil, check level, add more, drive car out.

thats about 20-30 mins, for any first year mech, seem about right....

alloroc
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
You think that is expensive??

HA!!

Next time ask the parts person to show you a bottle of Toyota Supercharger Oil - used in AW11 mr2's and Previas.

Then ask how much they charge for 50Ml.

Redlyne_mr2
10-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Im just waiting for the thread that begins with F*Ck the mr Lube in the NE, the wrecked my engine. With you oil change your car should have also been cleaned in and out, they grease the door hinges, check airfilter, check tire pressure, check for any other issues while therye under the car etc.

ninjak84
10-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Honestly ... Who takes a 2002 IS300 to Mr Lube? :rofl:

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Yeah ... Because all you do is unscrew the drain plug, and drive the car back out to the customer.

marcl
10-26-2007, 07:53 PM
take your lexus to toyota. i work at country hills toyota and an oil change would cost you 37.05 taxes all in. we do TONS of lexus. most times if you compare the two.. a lexus is a luxury toyota.. same motors trannys everything is the same... and im pretty sure the oil is the same too :P

we have 5-20 oil too.. most of the new toyotas ( rav4, tundra 5.7's) all take it.

just take it there and save the money ;) plus its no apointment like mr. lube and at least you know there are genuine toyota parts going on it.

BokCh0y
10-26-2007, 08:27 PM

I understand your concern regarding how much you payed for an oil change for your IS. And yes I do agree with you that an oil change is an oil change and regardless whether you do it yourself or take it to a Mr. Lube or have it done at the dealership it still is just an oil change.

You do however keep forgetting that included with the Lexus service is a complimentary cleaning of the inside and outside. They top up your fluids, and lubricate your locks, latches and hinges as well as adjust your tire pressure and perform a quick inspection of your vehicle.

I see in your OP that you stated you are accustomed to Civics and Infiniti's. Can I ask you how much the oil change was for both the Civic and Infiniti? Being a former Infiniti owner (I assume), you should be accustomed to $70+ oil changes performed on those cars.

As you are well aware, a Civic is obviously in a different class than a Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, Audi......and being a Luxury car owner you should understand paying more at those dealerships for work performed.

Bottom line, if you aren't happy with paying for Luxury car service at a luxury car dealership, then maybe you shouldn't have bought a luxury car.....maybe it would've been more cost effective for you to stick with your Civic. Only ~$40 for an oil change, $199 for brake service.......and the best part......having people in their Z06 pull up beside you and say pfttt just another fuckin Civic.

Mckenzie
10-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

no... because its a dealership? i thought its common sense that most dealerships charge more than Mr.Ms.Quick.Fast.Lude

lets think it over:

look at schedule, find the keys, go get the car from the lot, put car on hoist, unscrew, drain, remove filter, replace filter, rescrew, lower car, add oil, check level, add more, drive car out.

thats about 20-30 mins, for any first year mech, seem about right....

I am aware that dealerships cost more and have been for years...I said that earlier in the thread. I did not think for a second that I could have gone to another place for the same price and gotten a far superior oil put into my car- the price shocked me.

Again, I learned a lesson...big deal its $90 lol. The point of my thread was to inquire mainly about the interval and oil type used, with a minor tangent about how expensive it is. I actually think I was more entertained about the price than I was mad lol...

Originally posted by ninjak84
Honestly ... Who takes a 2002 IS300 to Mr Lube? :rofl:

Yeah ... Because all you do is unscrew the drain plug, and drive the car back out to the customer.

Lots of people take their luxury cars elsewhere than the dealer for comparable service for much less price, not to mention convenience. There is nothing convenient about getting up extra early in the morning to go to a dealership, deal with getting a shuttle and arranging rides for a friggen oil change. Mr. Lube is fine with me anyday and have had NO problems for almost 8 years.

Originally posted by marcl
take your lexus to toyota. i work at country hills toyota and an oil change would cost you 37.05 taxes all in. we do TONS of lexus. most times if you compare the two.. a lexus is a luxury toyota.. same motors trannys everything is the same... and im pretty sure the oil is the same too :P

we have 5-20 oil too.. most of the new toyotas ( rav4, tundra 5.7's) all take it.

just take it there and save the money ;) plus its no apointment like mr. lube and at least you know there are genuine toyota parts going on it.

:werd: I have no problem doing this next time...lexus is no different than Toyota and jeez, its just an oil change! This is the amount I honestly thought I would be paying...haha

I understand your concern regarding how much you payed for an oil change for your IS. And yes I do agree with you that an oil change is an oil change and regardless whether you do it yourself or take it to a Mr. Lube or have it done at the dealership it still is just an oil change.

You do however keep forgetting that included with the Lexus service is a complimentary cleaning of the inside and outside. They top up your fluids, and lubricate your locks, latches and hinges as well as adjust your tire pressure and perform a quick inspection of your vehicle.

I see in your OP that you stated you are accustomed to Civics and Infiniti's. Can I ask you how much the oil change was for both the Civic and Infiniti? Being a former Infiniti owner (I assume), you should be accustomed to $70+ oil changes performed on those cars.

As you are well aware, a Civic is obviously in a different class than a Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, Audi......and being a Luxury car owner you should understand paying more at those dealerships for work performed.

Bottom line, if you aren't happy with paying for Luxury car service at a luxury car dealership, then maybe you shouldn't have bought a luxury car.....maybe it would've been more cost effective for you to stick with your Civic. Only ~$40 for an oil change, $199 for brake service.......and the best part......having people in their Z06 pull up beside you and say pfttt just another fuckin Civic.

Well true but the only thing that Mr. Lube does not do is clean the car- they do everything else you mentioned and you get coffee and a paper. I dont forget that Lexus does extra stuff...but its nothing beyond what the other places do for less cost.

And I've never owned a civic :rolleyes:- I'd never compare a civic to lexus either in terms of maintenance costs...night and day as we are both aware. It was Acura and Infiniti that I was referring too. Acura charges $40 for an oil change- thats what I figured it would be across the board for the Japanese auto makers. Is Acura not a luxury car?

I'm well aware of the costs of owning a luxury car and have owned nothing but for the past 6 years. I NEVER go to dealerships except for oil changes in the past.....if you think that going to a dealership and paying their prices is the only way to enjoy and own a luxury car, then to each his own- I would rather put the money they charge which add no value towards other things. Many other shops can perform equally good if not better service of all types for less the cost. And dont forget, the $109 per hour is paying for more than you are getting- there is so much overhead in that price its sickening.

I agree that dealership will get the job done 90% of the time, but the cost is not justified in my opinion. I also do not trust a lot of dealerships as I have received better work from independent shops (I'm referring mainly to diagnosis of problems where they will gouge you to death).

Mckenzie
10-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Cant we have a group hug now? Its friday and I've moved on from the oil change price. :angel:

Thanks for all of your constructive input on my other questions too...even the people telling me to stop whining....good discussion. :thumbsup:

89s1
10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
they saw the dent in the right side of the drivers seat, they were doing your seat foam a favour.

but seriously.... did they at least wash your car for you or something?

edit: i just read thru a bit better and i see it listed as part of the service.... did they do it?

C4S
10-27-2007, 11:55 PM
It is not that bad .. labour cost is like 120 an hr .. and min 1/2 hr labour cost ..

So .. next time .. go to fast lube or can tire ..

Mckenzie
10-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
they saw the dent in the right side of the drivers seat, they were doing your seat foam a favour.

but seriously.... did they at least wash your car for you or something?

edit: i just read thru a bit better and i see it listed as part of the service.... did they do it?

Not sure what you are getting at here....they did for sure do a great job cleaning the interior and outside.

There was a little blemish on the drivers side seat that has been there since I bought it...not sure if they did anything to it. Are you thinking about another car that was there? I never mentioned anythign about interior work- just tranny replacement and oil change. If they did do something extra they never told me about it and I never noticed it. :dunno: