PDA

View Full Version : BMW Recall Clearance?

liquid1010
03-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I brought a 2000 BMW M Coupe into Canada from the US, and in order to register my M-Coupe I need to go through a process:
1) Recall Clearance letter from BMW
2) Provincial and Federal Inspection
3)Registration

I know I have to pay $500 to BMW Canada to receive this "recall clearance letter", which sucks, but I can deal with that. So I go in today to get my letter at Calgary BMW, and they tell me, well first we need to inspect your car! I look at them and ask why? I need the recall clearance, and not an inspection. The guy looks at me and say's... well your car needs to have DRL's installed. I tell him I've already done that... to which he responds, well we need to see it, inspect it, and test and reflash your software!! For WHAT?! Bad enough they try to gouge you for $500, but now they try to make me add another inspection?! This new inspection is going to cost another $400 in addition to the BMW recall letter for $500!

This is total garbage!? Any way around this?

civicluva
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
My friend is also going through this BS as well with his 01 325ci.

Toms-SC
03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Hello,

Have you considered searching? This has been covered before in great details.

mekeni
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
it's good thing didn't buy the car from the states.. otherwise you'll have to replace the instrument cluster ($1400) + $250 for programming as well...

liquid1010
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I have searched Toms-SC, and nothing on this inspection has come up. In-fact, this must be something BMW has just instituted in the past month or so because I know people who didn't need it in Jan - But thanks for the useful comment.

liquid1010
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by mekeni
it's good thing didn't buy the car from the states.. otherwise you'll have to replace the instrument cluster ($1400) + $250 for programming as well...

it is from the States... why would it need a new cluster? I had an Audi A3 brought in and it didn't need a cluster change.

mekeni
03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010

it is from the States... why would it need a new cluster? I had an Audi A3 brought in and it didn't need a cluster change.

then that's your problem.. just implemented a "law" regarding bmw cars bought from the US.. effective Nov 2007

do a search you'll find it...

me&you
03-05-2008, 02:44 PM

You shouldn't need a cluster on a 2000 Roadster.

No offense, but I'm siding with TOM SC on this one; the inspection/DRL changes etc have been covered on here more than enough (and now, thanks to this thread, once again) that anyone with their head outside of their ass should've known about it. It's been known for 6 months now. And just because your Audi didn't need any mods doesn't mean a BMW will be the same.

Jesus, doesn't anyone know what due-dilligence is?

me&you
03-05-2008, 02:46 PM
oops DP.

rc2002
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM

There's this thread and a couple others. Doesn't look promising at all - you might just have to bite the bullet and pay the money.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/205722/bmw-charging-5000-to-modify-us-cars/

Audi hasn't cracked down like BMW yet which is why it's so much easier to bring those up.

benyl
03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I posted this back in November.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/199220/interesting-development-on-importing-bmws/

I am surprised that people still don't do their research. The recall clearance letter was changed back in June of 2007.

rage2
03-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Pay it and join the class action lawsuit to get reimbursed back in 10 or 15 years.

Seriously, if they're only asking to flash the software, do it. Some guys with last gen M coupes and E46's are forced to change cluster depending on dealership!

Crymson
03-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Head over to Cars without borders, there is some good info there as well

http://www.carswithoutborders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29

ls/vtec-crx
03-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Here is the deal, i used to be a service advisor at Calgary BMW so i know the procedure.

1. Letter of Admissibility $250.00 (from dealership)
2. U.S. Recall Letter $500.00 (from dealership)
3. Activate DRL $350.00-1000.00

And then since you are buying a U.S. vehicle they have it set so that you are tagged an extra month on top of what ever their regular booking date is.

so for example for regular customers that bought their car from Calgary BMW you would have to call 6 weeks in advance to book any kind of appointment. cause they are out 6 weeks. But if you have a U.S. vehicle they tag an extra month on top of the 6 weeks so you will be waiting 10 weeks to get you car looked at for say an engine light, srs light, etc. just any kind of service.

I worked there for 4-5 months as a service advisor and could not support their product or service. Oh and on top of that once you brought your car in for your service date, highly unlikely that even it even gets looked at the same day (even if you dropped it off at 7am).

canuckcarguy
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
Here is the deal, i used to be a service advisor at Calgary BMW so i know the procedure.

1. Letter of Admissibility $250.00 (from dealership)
2. U.S. Recall Letter $500.00 (from dealership)
3. Activate DRL $350.00-1000.00

And then since you are buying a U.S. vehicle they have it set so that you are tagged an extra month on top of what ever their regular booking date is.

so for example for regular customers that bought their car from Calgary BMW you would have to call 6 weeks in advance to book any kind of appointment. cause they are out 6 weeks. But if you have a U.S. vehicle they tag an extra month on top of the 6 weeks so you will be waiting 10 weeks to get you car looked at for say an engine light, srs light, etc. just any kind of service.

I worked there for 4-5 months as a service advisor and could not support their product or service. Oh and on top of that once you brought your car in for your service date, highly unlikely that even it even gets looked at the same day (even if you dropped it off at 7am).

Nope, it's more than this. $1400 for the cluster, $1000 for the heater control module, and about $900 for labour, all plus GST. Plus the recall and admissibility letters.

This was all discussed at length in another thread that's still current on here.

funkedelic
03-06-2008, 09:12 AM
damnit people search!

There is no way around it, anymore unfortunately. Just out of curiosity.. but is your car IN Canada? I saw a 2000 M coupe sitting in sweetgrass just 2 weeks ago.

rc2002
03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

Nope, it's more than this. $1400 for the cluster, $1000 for the heater control module, and about $900 for labour, all plus GST. Plus the recall and admissibility letters.

I think he's talking about just getting the lights activated - i.e. reprogramming it, not replacing the cluster and heater control module.

canuckcarguy
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

I think he's talking about just getting the lights activated - i.e. reprogramming it, not replacing the cluster and heater control module.

Okay, one more time. Really. BMW will not give you the necessary documentation unless you service through them. They will not turn on the DRL for import purposes without also replacing the cluster (all models) and the heater control module (some models). There are computer chips in these components used to bus information around the vehicle, and they insist on changing over to the Canadian components to prevent the DRL from being deactivated by somebody down the line. Yes, you can buy a module at Canadian Tire, and no, this won't allow you to import the vehicle. Unless you have all of the modifications done at a BMW dealership in Canada, they won't give you the documents necessary to register the vehicle in Canada.

But I'm guessing that anybody who doesn't understand this, after it's been repeated about 25 times in the last month on Beyond, will have a very difficult time with the entire import process...

bokchoy
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
It is ludicrous to see BMW Canada and their Dealerships gouge fellow BMW enthusiasts like this. The recall letter is just a piece of paper with a couple lines stating your imported BMW is clear of any recalls. From what I've seen, I believe it's 3 or 4 bloody lines.

I'm not sure if my information still stands, but I thought I'd share with everyone what I did to get around the whole $500 BS when I brought in an X5 back in October of last year. Here's how I did it.

For clarification,you do not need the recall letter to cross the border, you just need it to clear the paperwork for importing. Objectively, RIV needs to ensure the vehicle you're bringing in is clear of any recalls or warranty issues that BMW USA should take care of. To do this, contact a BMW Retailer in the US as opposed to a BMW Dealership here. Request for a printout of your vehicle's service/warranty record. You may have to "schmooze" them a bit to get it, but if you can it will save you $500 "for now." Once you get your paperwork (make sure it clearly shows your VIN and not warranty/recall issues), call RIV and fax in the documentation ASAP. You can then call back within 24 hours and see if they've received it and will accept it. If they accept it, you're clear.

The reason why I say you may need to "schmooze" some Dealerships is that I have heard BMW USA has indirectly advised their Dealerships to not provide this printout if they are aware the vehicle is being exported to Canada. In these cases, you will just have to be "creative."

benyl
03-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by bokchoy

I'm not sure if my information still stands, but I thought I'd share with everyone what I did to get around the whole $500 BS when I brought in an X5 back in October of last year. Here's how I did it.

To do this, contact a BMW Retailer in the US as opposed to a BMW Dealership here. Request for a printout of your vehicle's service/warranty record.

This has been covered many many times.

You CANNOT do this anymore.

From this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2211221#post2211221

Originally posted by rage2
Well since ppl can't fucking read, I'd figured they can listen (assuming they know how to download).

I called both BMW USA and BMW Canada looking for the recall letter a few minutes ago.

http://videos.beyond.ca/cars/bmwusa.mp3
http://videos.beyond.ca/cars/bmwcanada.mp3

bokchoy
03-07-2008, 01:05 AM
3 points you overlooked in my post:

1) Contact a BMW RETAILER, NOT BMW USA/CANADA
2) Obtain a PRINTOUT of your vehicle's WARRANTY/SERVICE record, NOT the RECALL LETTER*
3) My tip that BMW has advised their Dealerships/Retailers in the US to not provide customers with the requested information if it is known the vehicle is being exported to Canada, hence I suggested you may need to "schmooze."

In addition, if you reference riv.ca and review the requirements under the "recall letter" it clearly states that in some cases they will accept a printout from an authorized American Dealer.

The mp3 files were great to listen to, but are completely irrelevant to my suggestions to help another forum member out. By clearly stating the purpose of importing/exporting a US BMW to Canada would you expect the caller to receive free pass for a recall letter????

Team_Mclaren
03-07-2008, 01:32 AM

2) Obtain a PRINTOUT of your vehicle's WARRANTY/SERVICE record, NOT the RECALL LETTER*
3) My tip that BMW has advised their Dealerships/Retailers in the US to not provide customers with the requested information if it is known the vehicle is being exported to Canada, hence I suggested you may need to "schmooze."

In addition, if you reference riv.ca and review the requirements under the "recall letter" it clearly states that in some cases they will accept a printout from an authorized American Dealer.

The mp3 files were great to listen to, but are completely irrelevant to my suggestions to help another forum member out. By clearly stating the purpose of importing/exporting a US BMW to Canada would you expect the caller to receive free pass for a recall letter????

RIV wont accept it. That's one point you missed, a very important one at that.

benyl
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I did not overlook anything in your post.

Ok, I will try this again. As stated many times on this forum and countless others, BMW Retailers have been advised not to give out printout to both Canadian and American owners of BMWs. In fact, I think BMW Canada is behind the fact that Tischer BMW will no longer shit replacement BMW parts to Canada.

RIV does not accept the recall letter from anyone but BMW Canada.

Even if you manage to get a print out, RIV will not accept it.

They will not for BMWs

The point of the mp3 files is to prove the loop hole is closed.

What you overlooked was that I emphasized October when quoting you. The rules were completely changed in November.

mekeni
03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by benyl

The point of the mp3 files is to prove the loop hole is closed.

The rules were completely changed in November.

:werd:

bokchoy
03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I see no point in battling this out. Simply put, I AGREE TO DISAGREE with your rebuttals to my points. I have provided hard facts and data based on my personal experience and input from RIV. Furthermore, a number of colleagues and friend of mine in both Calgary and Vancouver can also validate the accuracy of my claims as he recently brought in BMWs from the US and RIV accepted a copy of the Warranty/Service record, NOT THE RECALL LETTER.

I believe the purpose of this forum is for members to share information and experiences. liquid1010 asked for some feedback or around the whole $500 BMW BS, and as a fellow forum member that was able to beat the system, I am simply sharing my experience. liquid1010 can choose to accept my suggestions or ignore it completely. There's no need for other members to prove me wrong without having the proper facts and data along with actual experience to challenge my claims.

canuckcarguy
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I see no point in battling this out. Simply put, I AGREE TO DISAGREE with your rebuttals to my points. I have provided hard facts and data based on my personal experience and input from RIV. Furthermore, a number of colleagues and friend of mine in both Calgary and Vancouver can also validate the accuracy of my claims as he recently brought in BMWs from the US and RIV accepted a copy of the Warranty/Service record, NOT THE RECALL LETTER.

I believe the purpose of this forum is for members to share information and experiences. liquid1010 asked for some feedback or around the whole $500 BMW BS, and as a fellow forum member that was able to beat the system, I am simply sharing my experience. liquid1010 can choose to accept my suggestions or ignore it completely. There's no need for other members to prove me wrong without having the proper facts and data along with actual experience to challenge my claims.

That's great that you agree to disagree. It doesn't change the fact that you are 100% wrong. It's super that you imported a vehicle in October, but the rules changed in November. NOVEMBER. After you imported your vehicle. AFTER. Do you get it yet?

You need a letter of eligibility from BMW to bring in the car. At the border. Not after import. Go to the RIV website, and you will see that there are no BMWs specifically allowed into the country. You need to prove eligibility with this $250 letter. And you will not get a printout from a US or Canadian dealer about the recall status. But even if you do, it's pointless, since for BMWs, RIV will not accept them. You're not the only person here to have ever imported a car, and it's super that you're willing to share your experiences, but if you're steering people wrong with erroneous information, don't be surprised when other members correct you.

If you still insist that you're right, here's my offer to you. I'll pick a vehicle from the USA to import, and I'll pay you $500 to import it and get it registered in the Canadian system. I, obviously, will cover any mechanical issues, and allow you $100 to turn on the DRL. If you're so convinced that you're right, you'll surely jump at this offer to make an easy $500, right?