PDA

View Full Version : Video, 400hp GTR on track

TheVicaR
06-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi all!

here is a video from todays Solo Sprint Competition at Race City.

This is my first time on this course, so, I still have a lot to learn on finding faster lines through the track.

I will post more as we go through this series, and as we tune the car more.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/johnnyracescars

mAhKRcaszF8

Sky
06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Nice video! you're pretty quick. how did you mount the camera?:thumbsup:

TheVicaR
06-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey thanks!

I used a video system that a friend of mine sells from the states. It is a solid state DVR recorder with a bullet cam, and all sorts of extras.

so, I mounted the bullet cam to the window with a suction mount (very strong) and the DVR can go anywhere. That way I can change cars easily.

blackpeople
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Johnny do you have your own website?

TheVicaR
06-03-2008, 10:28 AM
for racing? no, not yet. just the youtube page for now. we are just thinking about that now. we will have pics, video mixes, stuff like that. I am working mostly on the new rally car at the moment.

blackpeople
06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
i ment for all your cars that you have for sale or own

TheVicaR
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
oh, yes, we do, but we don't have them all listed up there anymore.

we are going to incorporate the 2 sites together. and it is a hobby right now, so time always becomes a factor.

TheVicaR
06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
anyone else have racing vids to share?

rage2
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Not bad first time out at the track.

0:14 = start
1:46 = 1:32
3:16 = 1:30
4:47 = 1:31

I can see tons of places where you can make up a boatload of time. In a 400hp R32 GT-R with street tires, I'd guess I'd be able to do about 1:25 on the roadcourse.

I'll try to dig up a video of my 1:22 run in the SLK.

DeeK
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey my brother was at solo competition yesterday too :)

Brendan_4g63
06-03-2008, 09:10 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/221405/official-beyond-video-production-crew/

Please check here if you want to help be a part of the video production.

xrayvsn
06-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Saw you in the paddock on Monday. Unfortunately, I could not stay for the rest of the event, but I was there briefly for WCMA licensing. I would love to check out your video setup on Sunday for the next event.

JAYMEZ
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Pretty sweet lapping video! Damn havnt been there for a few years ..... bloody depressing lol!! Hmmm first lap around , breaking pretty soon after the first stretch , but pretty good driving :thumbsup: .. Looks like a fun day:thumbsup:

TheVicaR
06-04-2008, 01:32 AM
yeah, I was breaking early before turn one, I didn't trust the brakes, and I was right not too. They failed going into turn one in the next session.

I could feel them getting squishy, but they disappeared faster than most brake fade I have had before. I had to pitch the car sideways and LFB my way around turn one. twas fun though.

and hey Rage 2, if you have some pointers send them so me, I would like to read em.

I agree with the 1:25 time, I think I would have pulled a 1:28 with proper brakes. so, I need to find those other 3 seconds. but that is what the season is for!

thanks for all your feedback all, see you sunday, and I will post a new vid after that.

and if any of you are around on Saturday night, come out for the autoslalom. be there at 5pm, it is on the south end of the road course.

Ekliptix
06-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Nice vid Johnny.
- Graham

rage2
06-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by TheVicaR
yeah, I was breaking early before turn one, I didn't trust the brakes, and I was right not too. They failed going into turn one in the next session.

I could feel them getting squishy, but they disappeared faster than most brake fade I have had before. I had to pitch the car sideways and LFB my way around turn one. twas fun though.

and hey Rage 2, if you have some pointers send them so me, I would like to read em.

I agree with the 1:25 time, I think I would have pulled a 1:28 with proper brakes. so, I need to find those other 3 seconds. but that is what the season is for!
Most of my comments were in relations to braking... I noticed you didn't go hard between some corners, and that was my primary suggestion. If you had no brakes, kudos on some great first time laps!

The other places where you gain a lot of time is to ensure you get the cleanest and widest exit before the 2 straights. You make up a LOT of time there, especially in 400+hp cars. I noticed you got wheelspin coming out of the 2nd gear last corner, which is bad for straight line speed. You can also attack the chicane harder for more entry speed onto the back straight. You'd be surprised at how hard u can ride the curbs if your suspension isn't too stiff.

There's some room to get more speed outta turn 1 as well, but that needs good brakes and big balls.

ToastiER
06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
I really want to hit this track up, I heard this is the last year for it.
How does it work, what dates is it open to public and such?

xrayvsn
06-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Most of my comments were in relations to braking... I noticed you didn't go hard between some corners, and that was my primary suggestion. If you had no brakes, kudos on some great first time laps!

The other places where you gain a lot of time is to ensure you get the cleanest and widest exit before the 2 straights. You make up a LOT of time there, especially in 400+hp cars. I noticed you got wheelspin coming out of the 2nd gear last corner, which is bad for straight line speed. You can also attack the chicane harder for more entry speed onto the back straight. You'd be surprised at how hard u can ride the curbs if your suspension isn't too stiff.

There's some room to get more speed outta turn 1 as well, but that needs good brakes and big balls.

Do you apex early out of the carousel into the front straight then, since speeds are pretty slow out of that 180 hairpin?

Also, do you trail brake into turn 1?

My car has half the power of that GTR and I think trying to keep the car on cam without upsetting the balance is going to be the challenge. I love having lapping videos though, it would really help me improve since I am sure I make mistakes everywhere without even knowing it at the time.

TheVicaR
06-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Yeah, I agree with you, thanks for the tips. it was hard to get the car to settle, off the left curbing at the end of the carousel into the tight blind right (stupid cement wall). I did my Licensing in my WRX, which has more responsive suspension, and more front bias. the GTR liked to slip rear rubber when my foot went down. I will try more momentum there, and accellerate sooner on that end of the carousel. then possibly short shift to 3rd,

the chicane I agree with too, I noticed until later in the day (different vid) I was braking to much before the 2nd curb in it, and wasn't carrying enough speed to the back strait.

and yeah, turn one, will be easier with good solid brakes. We have found everything except the front rotors for the skyline, anyone know where we can get good ones? as to the balls, well, ..... ..... I need to grow a bigger pair. I think that will happen as I get the brakes sorted, and then I can brake at later brake points. I was breaking halfway past 2 in my WRX, but it is alot lighter, and has way better brakes.

thanks for all your info Rage!

TheVicaR
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ToastiER
I really want to hit this track up, I heard this is the last year for it.
How does it work, what dates is it open to public and such?

well, the series I am in has allready done the licensing and is full. it is with the CSCC.

however the CSCC does have an autoslalom event on the south end this saturday night. goto www.cscc.ab.ca and go on the forums there. you will find more info, and from there you may find out about some lapping days.

TheVicaR
06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Do you apex early out of the carousel into the front straight then, since speeds are pretty slow out of that 180 hairpin?

My car has half the power of that GTR and I think trying to keep the car on cam without upsetting the balance is going to be the challenge. I love having lapping videos though, it would really help me improve since I am sure I make mistakes everywhere without even knowing it at the time.

no, I apex late, end of carousel, and right turn onto strait, to minimize time in carousel, and maximize speed on strait. (it's what the instructors taught me, I assume it is fast? maybe I should try another approach?)

yes I trail brake into turn one, as a rally guy mainly, I love trailbraking, and I left foot the entire time unless I need to Heel toe downshift.

I agree with the balance issue. the stock suspension on the skyline is too stiff, so weight transfer is harder. the curbs are hard to maximize time with, found it way better in the WRX, so I need to drive the car more and work on that.

Vids are awesome, I am doing a group buy for the system that I have. if you are interested. I find it really healps you calmly look at everything you did well and everything you need to work on.

and they are fun!

TheVicaR
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Nice vid Johnny.
- Graham

Nice Vette Graham!
-Johnny

rage2
06-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

There is no early apex out of the carousel because there's a huge ass wall to the right haha. You basically have to take the ideal line as smooth as possible thru there. That's 1 place where I try and avoid the curb (the final curb by the drag tower), because for the bigger powered cars, curb == wheelspin == slower down the straight.

I trail brake into turn 1. I also brake way the fuck later. If you look at the track, you can stay right for way longer past the "safe" line to turn in for 1. You'll need a few laps before going hard, because it's really dirty there, and it's up to you to clean it up with your tires! LOL

I've only seen some of the hardcore guys use that line, but it saves a full second a lap there. I only do it when I'm in my own car and really out to get a killer laptime.

Yeah, I agree with you, thanks for the tips. it was hard to get the car to settle, off the left curbing at the end of the carousel into the tight blind right (stupid cement wall). I did my Licensing in my WRX, which has more responsive suspension, and more front bias. the GTR liked to slip rear rubber when my foot went down. I will try more momentum there, and accellerate sooner on that end of the carousel. then possibly short shift to 3rd
You basically want to start accelerating right when you hit the apex there, and by hitting I mean hitting! the apex... my mirror's within an inch of the wall. Kinda surprised I haven't knocked 'er off yet haha. Also the left turn before the final corner, I ride the inside curb there to get a wider line for the last corner. You pick up a good 3-4kph that way for straight entry. You might get twitchy there, but it's worth the small speed/time sacrafice in backing off lightly off that left curb to get the perfect speed at the apex and out. A 3-4kph advantage in entry speed is like 5 or 6 car lengths by the end of the straight.

Oh ya when I say accelerate at apex I mean accelerate, which means for us turbo guys, start applying throttle before the apex to spool that shit up.

no, I apex late, end of carousel, and right turn onto strait, to minimize time in carousel, and maximize speed on strait. (it's what the instructors taught me, I assume it is fast? maybe I should try another approach?)
Yea, that's pretty much what I do. I gravitate towards the curb on the left hander and right up on the curb, ride the curb, and balls out on the final right.

Toms-SC
06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Great video thank you for sharing!

rage2
06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
You basically want to start accelerating right when you hit the apex there, and by hitting I mean hitting! the apex... my mirror's within an inch of the wall. Kinda surprised I haven't knocked 'er off yet haha. Also the left turn before the final corner, I ride the inside curb there to get a wider line for the last corner. You pick up a good 3-4kph that way for straight entry. You might get twitchy there, but it's worth the small speed/time sacrafice in backing off lightly off that left curb to get the perfect speed at the apex and out. A 3-4kph advantage in entry speed is like 5 or 6 car lengths by the end of the straight.
OK since this thread got bumped, I wanna point out that these pointers are for FR cars. I drove a FF car hard for the first time in 10 or so years at the track yesterday, and the lines are a LOT different. I can't use the curb mentioned above in a FF car without fucking up my line and losing a lot of speed. In a FF car, the only curbs I used was exit turn 4, both curbs on the chicane, and inside curb on 3.

TheVicaR
06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Great video thank you for sharing!

Thanks Tom!