Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > General

5 cool things your cell phone can do - Click HERE for Original Thread

Cavey
5 Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find

Yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an

Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to

Establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys

In the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on

their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot

From your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will

unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked Our car over a cell phone!'

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the

keys *3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

FOURTH How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following

Digits on your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on thescreen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And Finally....

FIFTH Free Directory Service for Cells

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800)FREE411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.
teg_boya
Originally posted by Cavey
....interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the

keys *3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

i dont know about anyone else but these most defs do not work on my 8130

Cavey
I never actually tried any of them, was an email I got. Thought maybe someone else would try it out :D
e36bmw///
112 no worky
teg_boya
good bs
jhmed
I wouldn't call the 1800 number... sounds fishy...

The unlocking the car door one is complete bullshit.
mdeleon
112 worked for me...i have an iphone and when i dialed the numbers it appeared as "1 (12)" on the screen, if that makes any difference. the battery thing didnt work, for some reason i got a message on my screen saying "Error performing request. No Network Service"
tabouli
Ordering a pizza didn't make the list?

:bullshit:
Jay911
From a 911 operator who has to deal with this crap all the time..

112 is the European equvalent of 911. In the European Union, it's 112; in Britain, it's 999; in Australia, it's 000. I think the Wikipedia article on 911 has a decent list of which numbers are used where.

Your phone will recognize 112 so that if you ever travel to the EU, you will be able to dial for emergency services just as you can at home. North American cellular companies are required by law to connect emergency calls dialed via the 9-1-1 emergency number regardless of a) how many "minutes" you have or 2) what provider you are on. So if I, on my Rogers phone, somehow find myself in an area where my phone says "no service" but I know I'm in range of a Telus tower (i.e. down in Kananaskis, etc), my phone can and will use the Telus tower to complete any 9-1-1 call I make.

Cell phone manufacturers a decade or more ago thought it would be neat, handy, helpful, etc., to allow "one touch" access to 9-1-1. This means, if you hold down the 1 or the 9 key - or the one marked 'SOS' - (on older phones it'll be the one that's shown in red instead of the blue/black/etc lettering on the rest of the keypad), even if the keypad is locked,, your phone will dial 9-1-1. This was supposed to be a helpful thing so that if you're being attacked, etc., you wouldn't have to fumble around unlocking your phone, remembering your PIN, etc. Also the bit about 9-1-1 calls being free is hopefully pretty obvious - nobody should have to spend money to report an emergency.

The problem with the above is 99.995% of the public stuffs their phone in their pocket/purse/backpack/etc, and locked or not, the phone can bump up against something and trigger that 9-1-1 key. In 2001, when I started working for 9-1-1, we took 6,000 false 9-1-1 cell phone calls per month at the center that covers Calgary and area. Yes, that's one every 7 or so minutes, 24 hours of every day of the month. Sometimes it's humorous - you get to hear some guy in an elevator trying to hit on a girl, or driving along singing along (badly!) with the car stereo. Sometimes you get to listen to someone take a leak or a dump. A lot of the time all we end up hearing is someone walking along (all the crap in their pocket/purse clashing around against the phone, sounding like a tool set in a washing machine). But it's still tying up the 911 center trying to decide if you're running away from someone chasing you with an ax, or out for a morning jog.

The 911 center will phone you back if they don't get a satisfactory response from your initial call. The purpose of this is to check out whether or not you are safe. It's not your buddy Joe playing a prank call on you. We're not picking your number out of a hat, or dialing random numbers to see if anyone will pick it up. If someone says they are from 911 and they're calling because your phone dialed them, that's what the deal is - your phone called 911, and we need to know if you're OK.

Even phones with no SIM card can dial 9-1-1. They come up with no phone number on the call center's display. That doesn't help the situation, so we can't call you back to find out if there's an emergency, or if the line drops (as, as you're all familiar with, cell phones tend to do).

A lot of newer phones will lock into an 'emergency' mode once the emergency number is dialed. This is not something that 911 has done to you or your phone. It's not something that 911 can "unlock". Most of the time your phone will say on the screen "Emergency calls only. Press '#' to exit." If following the instructions on the screen doesn't seem to work, take the battery off and put it back on. If all else fails, you'll have to take it to your phone provider for help or service.

9-1-1 operators and centers would really appreciate it if you would disable the automatic dialing of 9-1-1 from your phone. It's designed to be a quick, easy-to-remember number to dial, so you shouldn't have to put it in a speed key or anything like that. Having said that, don't hesitate to call if you DO need help.

(As for the other stuff on the OP's post, Snopes covers most of it as complete rubbish. You can't unlock doors with a cell phone; you can't change battery power level with a key combination; etc.)
TaiChino
I haven't tried the unlock thing, but even if it does work in some cases, there are probably some variables to consider:

1. Phone being CDMA (Telus/Bell) or GSM (Rogers/Fido)
Does the other persons cell phone have to be the same band?
2. Frequency of the keyless entry (Compustars are FM transmitters)
shirshamshir
112 dont work for me
extra battery dont work
nothing works, damn
would've been cool though
Jay911
Originally posted by TaiChino
I haven't tried the unlock thing, but even if it does work in some cases, there are probably some variables to consider:

1. Phone being CDMA (Telus/Bell) or GSM (Rogers/Fido)
Does the other persons cell phone have to be the same band?
2. Frequency of the keyless entry (Compustars are FM transmitters)

99.999% of the keyless entry fobs are RF (FM) wireless. Very few are IR (infrared) and almost none are sonic, which is what they'd have to be to work with a cell phone.

Cell phones are designed to work with the human voice, so they filter out everything but those frequencies (between 300 and 3000 Hz (hertz)).

The lowest frequency you're likely to see in a car alarm/key fob transmitter is 50 MHz (megahertz), aka 50,000 hz.

The people who find that this "works" are, 9 times out of 10, doing this in their driveway with the "other" key fob being "at home", inside the house 50 feet away - still well within range of the car's receiver.

dj_rice
The cell phone door unlock no workie, it was busted on Mythbusters IIRC
gpomp
shirshamshir
what does lacking or unlacking mean?
audimaniaR8
the door unlock works for me, from three miles away
BlackArcher101
Damn there's a lot of gullible (read: dumb) people these days. Common sense can bust most of these e-mail forwards.
francisc006
*#06# that one actually worked on my blackberry pearl it gave me a "IMEI"

all the others didnt...
szw
HOly fuck i can't believe you morons even tried this bullshit. Someone should just delete the painfully retarded original post. This stuff should be obviously fake to anyone with half a brain.

On a less angry note, the free 411 could possibly work, lots of free services available these days, wouldn't surprise me but I don't know about that particular one.
gpomp
Originally posted by szw
This stuff should be obviously fake to anyone with half a brain.

you've been on here long enough to know better than that...

Xtrema
Originally posted by audimaniaR8
the door unlock works for me, from three miles away

Never tried it myself but did hear the Motoring guys on TSN saying that they were surprised that it worked. And the Autoblog vid sorta proved it.

SCHIDER23
Well the 112 works on my SE 850i and is a rogers brand btw, the IMEI one works too, but those two I already knew :rolleyes:
Hayate
damn shit me and my friend tried the door unlock thing and it fucking worked

thats insane...
WiltonKillz
112 WORKED
Batter thing WORKED

holy sh*t ... !!!
AzNxHyDrA
IMEI works. 112 works on my phone, probably cause its an import. So this stuff can work... just not on your phones.
On the other hand, the car one works very rarely. Like someone stated above it depends on what kind of a car remote you have. Finally, the free service thing is believable but paying a dollar for 411 doesn't really bother me. SO to many of you who thinks your smart by saying all this crap is fake... guess what? you wrong.
szw
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA
IMEI works. 112 works on my phone, probably cause its an import. So this stuff can work... just not on your phones.
On the other hand, the car one works very rarely. Like someone stated above it depends on what kind of a car remote you have. Finally, the free service thing is believable but paying a dollar for 411 doesn't really bother me. SO to many of you who thinks your smart by saying all this crap is fake... guess what? you wrong.

hey fuckwit,

guess what? you wrong. (ok only kind of)

1. You can dial 112 while locked but will it connect you to an emergency network? Hopefully yes but it doesn't really work in all countries.

2 and 3 are complete bullshit. depends on what kind of a car remote you have? no it doesn't. Battery extended? No way. Just because you punch in some numbers and your phone does *something* doesn't mean its doing what you think it is. That "code" works on some Nokias (not all phones, like the OP says) and even on those phones, it actually decreases the battery life not switches to a reserve.

4. Ok, you can get your IMEI, but so what? A provider can block an IMEI from working on their network, but I don't think it can disable the phone completely (i may be wrong on this one). Either way, you don't need any secret code to find your IMEI to do this. Your provider already has a record of your imei. Just because you can read your IMEI doesn't mean #4 does what it says.

brown_guy
Well I am pretty sure you can block your IMEI if you call it in Fido has been doing that for years but in Europe you can get you IMEI blocked and they will block it on all UK networks I dont think North America has that yet... Thats why you can still buy "blocked" GSM unlocked phones from Europe and use them here.... But if you take a trip to the UK your phone will not work... Second the 800 number is not working in Canada... It May work in the states are there any members in USA right now that can test this for us ??? It's a free call from a pay phone.... 3rd you want us to Try calling 112 ???? wont that be like a prank call to 911??... Well thats all I have to say oh and that x3370# dont work my moto
AzNxHyDrA
Originally posted by szw

hey fuckwit,

guess what? you wrong. (ok only kind of)

1. You can dial 112 while locked but will it connect you to an emergency network? Hopefully yes but it doesn't really work in all countries.

2 and 3 are complete bullshit. depends on what kind of a car remote you have? no it doesn't. Battery extended? No way. Just because you punch in some numbers and your phone does *something* doesn't mean its doing what you think it is. That "code" works on some Nokias (not all phones, like the OP says) and even on those phones, it actually decreases the battery life not switches to a reserve.

4. Ok, you can get your IMEI, but so what? A provider can block an IMEI from working on their network, but I don't think it can disable the phone completely (i may be wrong on this one). Either way, you don't need any secret code to find your IMEI to do this. Your provider already has a record of your imei. Just because you can read your IMEI doesn't mean #4 does what it says.

Awee how cute, I'm a fuckwit. I never said 3 works buddy I talked about the ones that worked so CALM the fuck down. Lets see, you said it works in certain countries? Does that not mean it works? Congrats buddy... 2 usually doesn't work but a lot of people have proven that it can work. Even if that doesn't, IMEI gets you a code regardless, WHICH you can give to the wireless company to help them disable your phone. Does that not mean it can work? If you're gonna argue that 2 wont ever fucking work. 3/5 is still working. Last time I checked 3/5 is a majority dipshit.

szw
wow you are fucking moron.
AzNxHyDrA
Originally posted by szw
wow you are fucking moron.

I guess morons have better grammar than you?

em2ab
Holy crap, I accidentally dialed 113 instead of 112 and my phone turned into a transformer and walked out of my house! DO NOT DIAL 113!

How can you guys be so gullible? It's a known fact that any phone can dial 911, even if they don't have a plan on them. Go to your basement and find your cell phone from 1995, power it on and dial 911, it'll work. I used to get that call once a month when I worked at Telus, people would throw their phone away thinking it was pointless to keep it, kids would find it, of course they'd dial 911 and then the 911 operator would call back the number after the giggling and the hang up. That number goes to the guy who threw away the phone and he's now scratching his head wondering why 911 called him so he calls Telus.

Using your phone to unlock your car will not work, the 2 bands are separate frequencies. However you can do touchtones over a phone. If you're trying to get into your voicemail, you can punch in your password on some other phone, or play a recording of it, and it'll be accepted for your password. This was also a pain when I worked at Telus, some bitch with a high voice would call in saying everytime she leaves a voicemail for someone it cuts her off and i'd have to explain how her voice is the exact same pitch as the pound key so the machine thought she hit pound and was done.

And for free 411, just dial 1-800-GOOG-411. Google is your friend.

Enjoy.
MR_PIMP
Originally posted by em2ab
Holy crap, I accidentally dialed 113 instead of 112 and my phone turned into a transformer and walked out of my house! DO NOT DIAL 113!

How can you guys be so gullible? It's a known fact that any phone can dial 911, even if they don't have a plan on them. Go to your basement and find your cell phone from 1995, power it on and dial 911, it'll work. I used to get that call once a month when I worked at Telus, people would throw their phone away thinking it was pointless to keep it, kids would find it, of course they'd dial 911 and then the 911 operator would call back the number after the giggling and the hang up. That number goes to the guy who threw away the phone and he's now scratching his head wondering why 911 called him so he calls Telus.

Using your phone to unlock your car will not work, the 2 bands are separate frequencies. However you can do touchtones over a phone. If you're trying to get into your voicemail, you can punch in your password on some other phone, or play a recording of it, and it'll be accepted for your password. This was also a pain when I worked at Telus, some bitch with a high voice would call in saying everytime she leaves a voicemail for someone it cuts her off and i'd have to explain how her voice is the exact same pitch as the pound key so the machine thought she hit pound and was done.

And for free 411, just dial 1-800-GOOG-411. Google is your friend.

Enjoy.

:clap: :clap: :clap: wow thats sweet thanks 1-800 goog 411 works :)

Dj_Stylz
gqmw
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

I guess morons have better grammar than you?

:rofl:

some of these can work, just #3 is out of the world
no need to be so negative

sk65guy
extra life didnt work
the door unlock worked from about 3 blocks
and serial number worked :eek:
em2ab
Guys, the serial number is printed on your phone under the battery. It's also in the options in your phone menu.

My favourite part is where the original poster pasted the entire email, including the part saying he tried it himself. I think if I was going to repost a fake email somewhere, I'd save myself the embarrassment of telling an entire community that I actually tried it and trying to convince them it worked.
Kavy
The reason the "cell phone unlock" works for some is that they have killer fobs. By putting it next to your cell phone the fob uses the internal antenna of the cell phone to increase the distance of the fob. Kinda like how your alarm fob works better when you hold it under your chin.

Case in point, After this thread 2 jackass's argued with me about it so i walked 4 blocks away and could not unlock my car, called my voice mail then clicked unlocked and the car unlocked.
HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO I CALLED in THIS situation, I never tried it without making a call im guessing it probably would have the same effect.

4 blocks is not far, i'm sure if i climbed a tree and pressed the unlock button I would have had the same result.
Impreza
Originally posted by Jay911
From a 911 operator who has to deal with this crap all the time..
9-1-1 operators and centers would really appreciate it if you would disable the automatic dialing of 9-1-1 from your phone. It's designed to be a quick, easy-to-remember number to dial, so you shouldn't have to put it in a speed key or anything like that. Having said that, don't hesitate to call if you DO need help.

I would LOVE to disable this feature on my blackberry, but unfortunately, it isn't possible! If anyone knows how, please let me know!

Annoyingrob
My cell phone can take pictures of bar codes and decode them into human readable text and numbers.

I'm not even joking.

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog