Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Car Forums > Car Clubs and Communities > Alberta BMW Owners Club

rocks in your brakes? - Click HERE for Original Thread

powershotpro
Anyone else have a problem with the "sand" they throw down on Calgary roads getting into their brakes? I get those little stones in my pads constantly and they squeal away as I drive and then a few blocks later you hear it come loose and roll through the wheel well. My car is a 98 e39 528 with 16" stock bbs for winters. It's embarassing and sounds worse than a Neon. :cry:
chkolny541
A+ thread, well worth the minute of my life that i wasted reading it:thumbsup:
vengie
Originally posted by chkolny541
A+ thread, well worth the minute of my life that i wasted reading it:thumbsup:

beat me to it...

A+++ :banghead:

scat19
I doubt they get stuck IN your brakes. It would be scoring the rotor like crazy, and doubt squealing woulb be the noise.

It sounds more like you need anti-squeal due to the vibration, thats the noise.

Thirdly - you can hear the little sand/pebble come LOOSE? Over the sound of your engine, the crunch of the snow on your tyres, the sound of other cars, the hum of the heating fan?

Honestly.. LOL
ExtraSlow
Could be stuck between the brake rotor and the dust shield thingy. I've had that happen, although it was on a mazda . . .
PremiumRSX
Originally posted by scat19
I doubt they get stuck IN your brakes. It would be scoring the rotor like crazy, and doubt squealing woulb be the noise.

Thirdly - you can hear the little sand/pebble come LOOSE? Over the sound of your engine, the crunch of the snow on your tyres, the sound of other cars, the hum of the heating fan?

Honestly.. LOL

You obviously have never seen or had rocks stuck in your brakes before.

I've had rocks stuck in my brakes and in/around my suspension. I remember everytime my car moved up and down I'd hear crunching noises.. yep rocks getting crunched by the springs as they moved.

I bet you've never seen or driven in a car with unbalanced wheels from dirt/rocks/snow/ice.

scat19
Originally posted by PremiumRSX

You obviously have never seen or had rocks stuck in your brakes before.

I've had rocks stuck in my brakes and in/around my suspension. I remember everytime my car moved up and down I'd hear crunching noises.. yep rocks getting crunched by the springs as they moved.

I bet you've never seen or driven in a car with unbalanced wheels from dirt/rocks/snow/ice.

How does that make sense? So, you just said yourself you are getting a crunching sound, not a squealing sound. And how does your SPRING effect whats stuck in between your PADS and ROTOR? We are talking a peice of sand (ok, it's not really sand, it's little, tiny rocks)

These tiny rocks would not get caught between the spring, there is just too much room. Perhaps a big rock, but those aren't really on the roads now are they.

You are very good at telling people what they see, hear and do eh? Unbalanced wheels from an accumlation of snow/mud etc causes vibration, not squeaking.

em2ab
I've been driving 10 years, never ever heard of rocks getting in there.
n1zm0

I've seen it between caliper and rotor and it left an ugly depression in the disc but wasnt too deep to save in the lathe, not in the pad tho that seems like a snowballs chance in hell a rock will get in there unless your caliper piston totally recessed.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Could be stuck between the brake rotor and the dust shield thingy.

I've seen this, also makes squealing noise.

Originally posted by PremiumRSX

lmk guess, you drive an RSX, there was a huge problem with the front springs grinding on the struts.. NOT from rocks.. in this case you take it to the dealership, and they would've put rubber tubing under the last part of the spring that touches the strut.. i know, i've done this 'recall/update' on them before.

a social dsease
I've had a rock stuck in between the rotor and the hub thing that the rotor bolts onto. It rattled around and made the worst noise, sounded like my muffler was bouncing off the ground or something. To get it out I had to take off my wheel, then pry the rock out with a large screwdriver. No idea how it got in there lol.
hampstor
I had a rock wedge itself in the vents on the rotor. Every rotation the rock was just hitting the caliper. It was very very loud, and when I took the wheel off you could see the marks the rock was leaving on the caliper.
powershotpro

Honestly.. LOL

Yes I can hear it come loose. Unlike you I don't have a fart can muffler that blasts out 200dB and with my windows closed because it is minus 800 degrees the sound of snow crunch ain't all that loud. You telling me you can't hear anything over the noise inside your car?
Honestly. Hmmm let's see, I've got nothing better to do than make shit up.

jswankster
i have had a rock stuck against my brake pad before... and it stuck, had to remove the rotor to get it out... but it squeeled driving forwards and ground against something going in reverse..
2002civic
I work in a dealership and I have a couple customers a week that get a rock in their rotor, makes a high squeeling sound, so ye, it can and does happen often
jdmSiR
:facepalm:
scat19

Originally posted by powershotpro

Yes I can hear it come loose. Unlike you I don't have a fart can muffler that blasts out 200dB and with my windows closed because it is minus 800 degrees the sound of snow crunch ain't all that loud. You telling me you can't hear anything over the noise inside your car?
Honestly. Hmmm let's see, I've got nothing better to do than make shit up.

140DB starts to alter your heart rate. Over 115db for your ears is extremely dangerous. Duh?

And before you start bashing my car, or what I do/don't have, chill.

I was just playing devils advocate and seriously making you think about your problem. Why dont you take off your rim, and have a look at what the problem is instead of describing your problem in a few words on the internet? GO LOOK.

Aleks
Originally posted by powershotpro
Anyone else have a problem with the "sand" they throw down on Calgary roads getting into their brakes? I get those little stones in my pads constantly and they squeal away as I drive and then a few blocks later you hear it come loose and roll through the wheel well. My car is a 98 e39 528 with 16" stock bbs for winters. It's embarassing and sounds worse than a Neon. :cry:

Yep same thing happened to me last winter in my GTI. It was so loud sounded like metal on metal noise. So embarassing driving down McLeod in rush hour. The wheels i had on were the stock 18" BBS Huffs. Had to get the car to a dealership to get the rocks out. They said rocks were stuck in the dust shield and grinding on the rotors.

This winter i got a set of steelies which by design have smaller spaces (outside) for the rocks to get in. No problems so far...

2002civic
best way to get rocks out is a few hard stops , both forward and reverse, takes care of the problem 90% of the time
dawinder
it happened to me couple of times (528i) and the noise scared the shit out of me so i just decided to park it until they clean the rocks...:(
cloud7
happens quite often, if you drive on gravel roads all the time. As 2002civic said, just move the car forward and backward in slow speed should take care of it with a couple of tries.

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog