PDA

View Full Version : 1992-1995 Civic turbo/ Performance options

jdm_eg6
12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
So i know this topic has been covered 10213021 times, but it has been a recent topic for me and a real struggle. I will have a limited budget and want to make sure i get the best setup and also work on the visual modifications too.

The options have been B18b Turbo to around 12-15psi. but then i need:
B18 Swap with tranny ecu all those goodies plus the kit.

currently i have a JDM D15B and with rods/pistons, gasket and head studs i have heard it is not too common to have 230-260hp.

now come turbo kit resources, i DO NOT WANT ebay stuff. But also think a full Greddy kit for 3000 may be overkill. Let me know what you guys think and what resources you know of.

my goal is 230hp to the ground, and to my research on a stock block with a thicker headgasket at 13-15psi can give me just that on the D.

Thanks guys!

gpomp
12-28-2008, 12:56 AM
go B or go home :zzz:

ShermanEF9
12-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
go B or go home :zzz:

The B18B will work much better.

Mr_ET
12-28-2008, 01:09 AM
b18 will make that power all day everyday.

The d will put that down on the dyno and blow up going home on stock internals.

also 12-15psi means nothing if we don't know what size turbo you're running.

Use honda-tech man, tons of good stuff to help you there.

eglove
12-28-2008, 01:19 AM
no single cam slamma yo.

you're not going to have a reliable setup without building the block

mo_money2supe
12-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Bought the following kit from Blaast Performance out of Quebec for $3k CND (although you could price the whole kit separately for cheaper) for my b18b in my EG coupe:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/simonmctam/TurboKit.jpg

It included the following:
-garrett t3 60 trim .48/.60 a/r turbo
-ext. 38 mm wastegate
-blow off valve
-log manifold (allows AC and PS to be retained)
-downpipe with o2 bung and flexpipe
-oil kit
-intercooler
-IC piping
-450cc injectors
-resistor box
-chipped P08 ecu with running base map
-boost gauge

Won't be dyno-tuning it 'till summer, but running 10psi I'm guessing will get me btw 200-250whp. I did add a few things to the list though (ie. wideband, 255lph fuel pump, a better boost gauge, etc), which will bring up the price as well.

Darkane
12-28-2008, 01:30 PM
To much D-series hate here :poosie:

He said in his OP he has a D15 with rods/pistons. So instead of getting a B18, use the cash to buy a ball bearing turbo.

You'll make good power. I made 232whp on 9lbs with my D.

Joe-G
12-28-2008, 01:33 PM
14B FTW!! lol haha

jdm_eg6
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Well i guess the way i would look at it is the cash in a B18B could go to a Proper turbo kit and built block for the D15. I know the better setup is the B18b T with a little tweaking here and there. But economically and affordable is the question at hand. Currently the ride already has the D15B, now pistons and rods will only raise the price a little bit leaving me with a strong bottom end.

i could do a block saver while already in the engine which are cheap and helpful. Next just the head studs and gasket and that setup should be VERY street-able. I just would like to have some cash left over to finish the exterior and have a well rounded ride by summer.

cressida_pimpin
12-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Don't turbo. Hassles, breakdowns, waste of money. Buy a new car. I'm not being a hater, it's just that I've already been through what you want to do. I had a 95 civic and but a B18B in it and then turbod. Oil leaks, idle problems, vacuum leaks, premium gas, poor gas mileage and the list goes on. Buy a car that is already turbod. You may not like this advice, but it's the best advice given so far. If you don't follow it, let me just say "I told you so" in advance.

Better yet, keep what you have and put that money towards a down payment on a house

EFHatch
12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
Don't turbo. Hassles, breakdowns, waste of money. Buy a new car. I'm not being a hater, it's just that I've already been through what you want to do. I had a 95 civic and but a B18B in it and then turbod. Oil leaks, idle problems, vacuum leaks, premium gas, poor gas mileage and the list goes on. Buy a car that is already turbod. You may not like this advice, but it's the best advice given so far. If you don't follow it, let me just say "I told you so" in advance.

Better yet, keep what you have and put that money towards a down payment on a house

but that's half the fun!
I regret letting my project go. yes it took a lot to keep it running but damn was it fun to work on.

cressida_pimpin
12-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by EFHatch

but that's half the fun!
I regret letting my project go. yes it took a lot to keep it running but damn was it fun to work on.

Yea, it was fun working on the car sometimes. But other times, putting on the greasy overalls and laying on a cold, dirty garage floor made me wish I just had a car that I could get in and drive. I think most people get to a breaking point, where the benefits of a turbod project car no longer outweigh the negative aspects.

Referring to the OP, 3k would still be a budget build if you factor in tuning, clutch, and injectors, which alone are over $1300. Do it right and spend a good amount of money to get a reliable setup, or the hassles I mentioned will increase exponentially.

jdm_eg6
12-31-2008, 08:39 PM

Yea, it was fun working on the car sometimes. But other .....

Yeh i remember your old ride, i hear that. I guess it depends on how much i like the Eg, i guess it looks like i may have to look into Silvia's once again. ;)

cressida_pimpin
12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

Yeh i remember your old ride, i hear that. I guess it depends on how much i like the Eg, i guess it looks like i may have to look into Silvia's once again. ;)

A friend of mine had a silvia which also had idle problems.

New OEM is best.

sr20s14zenki
12-31-2008, 09:39 PM
The way i see it, if you are going to build a car, dont make it your daily driver. My s14 is second car only, and i keep a daily driver during the week. That way i i have a reliable car to get to work and groceries and blah blah blah, then when the weekend comes, out comes the turbo power :poosie:

Lovitt
01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Your initial investment will decide how reliable your car will be. If you put all good parts, build your motor, and have it tuned on the safe side by a reputable tuner you shouldn't have any problems outside of the norm.
I ran my Turbo GSR for 2 summers at between 400-450whp on the street driven as my everyday car, plus racing it whenever I had the chance to go to the track. At the track it was pushing over 500whp.
Eventually the head gasket let go but it was my fault as after pushing 500whp I should have double checked the head bolts for stretching and forgot to do so.
Besides that the only real problems I had with it was the distrubitor gave me issues as I was using an AEM EMS and it picks up the distrubitor differently than the stock ecus. Once I put a new distrubitor in I had no more real issues besides the head gasket letting go.
But it is good advice to have a second car as a back up. And make sure you have the car tuned as soon as you get the turbo put on it, don't wait cause if untuned and pushed it will do alot of damage, you may not see it right away, but it will show up eventually.

jaylo
01-01-2009, 11:52 AM
If I can go back, I would have ditched the turbo set up and got myself a new car.

But I would have missed out on the fun (and the headaches) of having a turbo car that can be daily driven or be a weekend car.

Been running turbo for more than 3 years with little to no problem. The only problem that I had that almost made me go back to N/A is the oil drain line and without having an aftermarket traction bar.

Hehe I wish I have that $5K back again and spend it somewhere else :)

Toma
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Buy a new car??

How many reasonably priced "new cars" can keep up with a '92 civic with a real 250 whp. Not a Mustang. Not a Challenger, Not an SRT-4.... hmmmmm

"Buy a new car...." lol... :rolleyes:

That is NOT a performance enthusiast talking.

Build it! :thumbsup:

962 kid
01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Buy a new car??

How many reasonably priced "new cars" can keep up with a '92 civic with a real 250 whp. Not a Mustang. Not a Challenger, Not an SRT-4.... hmmmmm

"Buy a new car...." lol... :rolleyes:

That is NOT a performance enthusiast talking.

Build it! :thumbsup:

:werd: I've been cracking away at my project for years now, and I've never once thought of selling it. Build your car, take some pride in your work and enjoy having a quick little vehicle

jdm_eg6
01-02-2009, 01:37 AM
not a "new car" my fault in miss-information ;). I mean new project worth of the efforts.

S14 would be nice but money is tight, im currently a student. So a real "new car" wont be happening for another 3-4 years Atleast but one can dream of an S5 cant they ;). << off topic

I Totally agree with the pride aspect though, it would be nice to have a D series slammer or B series slammer that gives some exotics and higher horsepower cars a run for their money.

:drool:

Phil_McGraw
01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
He say's the D already has rods/pistons, TURBO the SOHC. Make's sense economically.:dunno:

jdm_eg6
01-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Phil_McGraw
He say's the D already has rods/pistons, TURBO the SOHC. Make's sense economically.:dunno:

Sorry man, im terrible at making myself clear. :( It would receive rods .etc priced out eagle rods for under 400.00 and head studs and a gasket are not too much aswell.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Buy my b16 and turbo that... I'll sell it cheap :rofl:

crxcel
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
if You go with the D16 I have a set of Crower Rods I would for a great price :)

Darkane
01-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by crxcel
if You go with the D16 I have a set of Crower Rods I would for a great price :)

If Tuner Toys still sell's their D rods go for those. Eagle replicas. I got an I-beam pairs, light and will handle the power. The stock sleeves will go well before TT rods.

Be prepared to notch your block with Aftermarket rods.

crxcel
01-03-2009, 06:17 PM
never had to notch mine to make them fit

Civicnati0n
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
My built d needed block notching for the forged eagle rods too.

slammedvtec
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
thats another topic the block notching thing, some people say they get away with it some people have built over 4 d serise and never get away with it. but as far as turboing you car i have a b18b with a b16 tranny hit over 17 psi this last summer street tuned. i highly recommend it very cheap swap and you dont have to touch the bottem end but headstuds and a head gasket kit may be a good idea. just dont cheap out on your engine management.

92gsr
01-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by slammedvtec
thats another topic the block notching thing, some people say they get away with it some people have built over 4 d serise and never get away with it. but as far as turboing you car i have a b18b with a b16 tranny hit over 17 psi this last summer street tuned. i highly recommend it very cheap swap and you dont have to touch the bottem end but headstuds and a head gasket kit may be a good idea. just dont cheap out on your engine management. For the cost of swapping in a B he could toss TT rods and vitaras in the d-series and make way more power. The vitara record is about 470whp right now on stock sleeves. D sleeves are far less prone to cracking than b-series sleeves.