Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics

Pages: [1] 2 
Singing O Canada - More Policitally Correct BS - Click HERE for Original Thread

Toms-SC
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunsw...ontroversy.html

"Principal Erik Millett's decision in September 2007 to scale back the playing of the national anthem to school assemblies opened a national debate last week on when O Canada should be sung in the classroom.

Millett said he made the decision because some students had to leave the classroom each morning while O Canada played and were feeling excluded. Several New Brunswick Conservative MPs attacked the decision and two called Millett's actions "political correctness run wild" in the House of Commons."

lol
ekguy
This is getting fucking retarded...Which fucking immigrants are we having to not sing our national anthem to not offend??? Fuck this melting pot bullshit we're losing our identity as a country we can be proud of...
dezmarez
i thought canada was supposed to be more of a mosaik, hence why we are so politically correct....

but ya that is b.s.
i would love to go to the u.s. and tell them they can't sing their national anthem because i'm there now!!
syeve
Not be be ignorant, but they can't even listen to the anthem? Oh man, I am pretty understanding dude, but seriously.

I sense a breaking point where we will either continue down this path or people will start to stand up and fight this. This is bullshit if you ask me.
A790
Won't sing? Ugh, fine.

Won't listen? Get the FUCK out of this country.
Jlude
Originally posted by syeve
Not be be ignorant, but they can't even listen to the anthem? Oh man, I am pretty understanding dude, but seriously.

I sense a breaking point where we will either continue down this path or people will start to stand up and fight this. This is bullshit if you ask me.

Agreed 100%

It's coming to the point where, as you said, we either lay down and let this shit get worse, or people finally say no, we're not going to change everything about ourselves/country to suit people that moved here.

It's unreal... fuck, why is/are our country/politicians such pushovers.

What race/religion would have to leave the room when the national anthem is being played? Perhpaps they shouldn't stop at the door and continue on their way to the border.

syeve
^yep
lelalong
They stopped cause the poor little snowflakes were feeling left out?

Seriously....
WTF?
dr_jared88
This is ridiculous. We bend over way to far for immigrants. If anything it should be the other way around.

I have no problem with them living in our country but when the fuck up, deport them. When they start complaining about shit like this, deport them. If they can't live in Canada like a typical Canadian then they shouldn't be here at all.
dezmarez
Originally posted by A790
Won't sing? Ugh, fine.

seriously hey,

im interested to see what kind of people wouldnt be allowed to LISTEN to the national anthem

adam c
i can't wait till my daughter is in school and i can tell these idiots to go back to their fucking counties
Canmorite
Yay multiculturalism!
BigMass
I’ll try and play Devil’s advocate

Maybe it’s because when taken to the extreme like in the US it turns into another form of Idol worship / Religion. Maybe some students parents are against worshiping anything including a flag, piece of land or governmental entity. It’s definitely not that bad in Canada, but some places in the US are like a cult with their flag and government worship. It’s actually rather frightening.
hampstor
what group was responsible for this because the news article did not mention any immigrants. I have my suspicions (probably the same as most of you) - but we are talking about NB here afterall.

For all we know, it could be any ethnic group such as Quebeckers, Acadians, First Nations, 2nd+ gen asians, europeans, etc. Lets not go blaming immigrants just yet until we know who was responsible.

Some people are way to quick to jump too quick to the conclusion that this is the result of immigrants.
sneek
Won't sing? Ugh, fine.

adam c
Originally posted by hampstor
what group was responsible for this because the news article did not mention any immigrants. I have my suspicions (probably the same as most of you) - but we are talking about NB here afterall.

For all we know, it could be any ethnic group such as Quebeckers, Acadians, First Nations, 2nd+ gen asians, europeans, etc. Lets not go blaming immigrants just yet until we know who was responsible.

Some people are way to quick to jump too quick to the conclusion that this is the result of immigrants.

it's not PC to mention the peoples backgrounds anymore

QuasarCav
Originally posted by adam c
i can't wait till my daughter is in school and i can tell these idiots to go back to their fucking counties

Better brush up on your home school skills.

rage2
When I was in elementary, I had a friend who was a Jehovah's Witness who wasn't allowed to sing it or acknoledge O Canada. It was because of the line "God keep our land, Glorious and Free". He got to stay sitting at assemblies and not sing.

I started telling people I was a Jehovah's witness so I can do the same thing. Teacher didn't believe it, got sent to the principal's office first assembly I stayed sitting down LOL.

On an offtopic note, I think our national Anthem sucks. Such a boring song. I find myself singing Star Spangled Banner (total kick ass anthem IMO) at hockey games more often than O Canada. Anyone can sing o Canada half decent. You need mad karaoke skillz to hit all the notes in Star Spangled Banner in the proper key.
Kona9
Originally posted by hampstor
what group was responsible for this because the news article did not mention any immigrants.

Owneded by lack of reading.
Must pay attention!

:banghead:

semograd
Originally posted by ekguy
This is getting fucking retarded...Which fucking immigrants are we having to not sing our national anthem to not offend??? Fuck this melting pot bullshit we're losing our identity as a country we can be proud of...

No the problem is that we are not enough of a melting pot. Canada is considered a cultural mosaic, but if this continues Canada will just split into a million little countries because every culture that moves here now wants things done their way.

sputnik
Originally posted by dezmarez
i thought canada was supposed to be more of a mosaik, hence why we are so politically correct....

A mosaic should imply that everyone tolerates everyone else.

Not allowing every minority group to neuter the traditions and cultures of others thus not to offend.

If you want a mosaic you learn to live with those next to you and the things that they choose to do or not do.

hampstor
Originally posted by adam c

it's not PC to mention the peoples backgrounds anymore

As I wrote to my schoolboard trustee, I don't believe in tolerance of other cultures thru exclusion and pretending they don't exist. I say to my friends/coworkers, i see in full colour :)

Originally posted by Kona9

With all due respect......ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

There was a thread created not long ago from an actual teacher looking for some sort of answers as to why one of his pupils had to leave the class when these things (national anthems etc) occured.

Seriously, if shit wasn't good enough for you where you came from, adapt to the ways of your new choice! In this case you CAN NOT have your cake and eat it too!

The Prime Minister of Australia has it ALLLLLL right! He even states to beat it if you don't like the way Australia gets on with life, business, politics, religion.

:banghead: This is getting attrocious!

Why are you "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME" for wanting to know what ethnic/cultural group it was before i jumped on the blame bandwagon? The article didn't say, I didnt care enough to continue researching. Please find for all of us what group we are talking about.

There are many groups internally in Canada that do not may not have the same love for our country as the rest of us do. Some are: Quebec Seperatists, some First Nations , some Acadians, as rage2 said, Jehovah's who have sort of problem with the national anthem.

core_upt
No mention of immigrant complaining in the article - good point Hampstor. Along the lines of any shooting article usually conjures up Asian gang discussion.

Anyway, IF that is the case, it is absolutely ridiculous. There is a strong case that I will fully support for immigrants cutting out their own place in Canada, along with their customs, traditions and so forth. I can fully welcome this.

However, this is the epitome of failing to recognize Canada's freedoms to express their identity. I don't even like the national anthem, I don't like singing it at hockey games, BUT, I have full respect for it since, after all, this is Canada.

The arguments that can follow this are seemingly endless. Should I not pay taxes to a conservative government as i did not vote conservative? Should immigrants not use Canadian currency since they may feel like Canada is not accepting of their monetary units? Should Brits be allowed to drive on the left side of the road as to not trample on their homeland ways? Seems over the top?? So did banning the Canadian anthem until now....

Political correctness has transitioned from progression of society to repressing it's roots.
CUG
Wow.
freshprince1
Won't sing? Ugh, fine.

x2

b_t
Originally posted by rage2
On an offtopic note, I think our national Anthem sucks. Such a boring song. I find myself singing Star Spangled Banner (total kick ass anthem IMO) at hockey games more often than O Canada. Anyone can sing o Canada half decent. You need mad karaoke skillz to hit all the notes in Star Spangled Banner in the proper key.

Every national anthem sucks.. I think the US's is one of the worst. Its way too long, mega pretentious, and its american. I can't stand it :rofl:

Toms-SC
The people commenting on the article say they are Jehovah's Witness but the CBC is to PC to publish it.
speedracer
It's all about respect.

So when other nations sing their anthem do these groups of people leave?

I guess they can't cross and play nice....

http://www.vectronicsappleworld.com...600/frogger.png
szw
I keep hearing a stat like 50% or 40% of public schools in Canada have already stopped singing the national anthem a while ago, for whatever reasons.
Gainsbarre
Originally posted by Toms-SC
The people commenting on the article say they are Jehovah's Witness but the CBC is to PC to publish it.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe their allegiance belongs to God's Kingdom, which is viewed as an actual government. Thus they refrain from saluting the flag of any country or singing nationalistic songs. They believe that these acts are tantamount to worship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehova...and_governments

But it would have been so much simpler to blame immigrants again! Maybe I don't need to now though, seeing the earlier posts in this thread.

adam c
i had a friend who was a JW, i didn't know it at the time, but he never had any issues with oh canada or the flag
G-ZUS
what a bunch of fucking clowns :thumbsdow I am muslim and never had a problem with it, neither did any of my classmates. I dont remember anyone sitting aside during O Canada during school. Don't wanna sing O'Canada? GTFO and go sing your own national anthem where you came from :bullshit:
mx73someday
It's funny how Elementary schools are the only places this song is sung regularly, government has to indoctrinate children when they are the most vulnerable just like religion does. Why not wait for the kids to grow up to decide whether they want to pledge allegiance to statism?
szw
Originally posted by mx73someday
It's funny how Elementary schools are the only places this song is sung regularly, government has to indoctrinate children when they are the most vulnerable just like religion does. Why not wait for the kids to grow up to decide whether they want to pledge allegiance to statism?

Don't forget hockey games.

hampstor
Originally posted by szw

That's where my dad learned the anthem from. :rofl: He had it down before he even knew english - always made me wonder why so many Vietnamese immigrants were so interested in hockey.

Tomaz
Originally posted by szw

And a lot of other sporting events, national holidays, remembrance ceremonies, some high/junior high schools, etc.

Really people? You can’t even acknowledge the country you are living in?

Stop waking me up on Sunday mornings, sit down and take the sounds of our voices celebrating our nation or GTFO! Where is that atheist commercial when you need one?

Disclaimer: (I truly don't care what anyone believes in; I just can’t stand people stepping on everybody else's toes because of their beliefs.)

GQBalla
in my school it was only sung in elementary but only when i was in catholic elementary not public school
jazzyb
Won't sing? Ugh, fine.

+1

rage2
Originally posted by G-ZUS
what a bunch of fucking clowns :thumbsdow I am muslim and never had a problem with it, neither did any of my classmates. I dont remember anyone sitting aside during O Canada during school. Don't wanna sing O'Canada? GTFO and go sing your own national anthem where you came from :bullshit:

I looked it up, and looks like JW aren't allowed to sing or acknoledge *any* national anthem.

They are forbidden to salute the flag, stand for the national anthem, or own a flag

Nationalism

Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to salute the flag of any nation, recite the pledge of allegiance, stand for or sing the national anthem, run for public office, vote, or serve in the armed forces.

Among Jehovah's Witnesses, there is an avoidance of practices considered to have nationalistic or false religious origins. Examples include not singing the national anthem or saluting the flag. The Witnesses believe that nationalism is a form of religion. They believe it is dangerous and can cause problems among people, starting with disagreements, dissension, fights, arguments and even lead to wars.

Says nothing about listening to it, so it must be some extreme JW's starting shit.

Beerking

Ouch, really?:dunno: You do not seem to be proud to be Canadian, more proud to be American though?

rage2
Originally posted by Beerking
Ouch, really?:dunno: You do not seem to be proud to be Canadian, more proud to be American though?

No, I'm proud to be Canadian. No interest in being an American. I just think our song sucks compared to the US.

szw
I liked god save the queen better than O'Canada. We only got to sing that on Tuesdays though.
A790

He does have a point- the Canadian national anthem is much more subdued than its American counterpart.

rage2
God Save the Queen is definately a better song than O Canada, but still lags behind Star Spangled Banner.
Tomaz
^^^Maybe it should go something like:

"CANADA!!! FUCK YEAH!
Here to say, motherfuckin' Eh-yeahhh!"
A790
Originally posted by Tomaz
^^^Maybe it should go something like:

"CANADA!!! FUCK YEAH!
Here to say, motherfuckin' Eh-yeahhh!"

hhahahaha

01RedDX
Yeah no rockets red glare or bombs bursting in air in ours.
hampstor
Rock Band, National Anthem Edition. :devil:
jazzyb

x2..

I'm very proud of our national anthem and think it kicsk the shit outta star spangeled banner.

I just love how so many people dropped a line in support of that statement just because.......

A790
Originally posted by jazzyb

x2..

I'm very proud of our national anthem and think it kicsk the shit outta star spangeled banner.

I just love how so many people dropped a line in support of that statement just because.......

Fuck that bullshit.

I love Canada as much as anyone else. I run TWO different Remembrance Day websites for the sole purpose of educating people about when and why we mark that day. But, despite being as patriotic as they come, I still recognize when a song just isn't as good as it could be.

It's not a BAD song, but it doesn't sound as GREAT as it could.

Canmorite
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Yeah no rockets red glare or bombs bursting in air in ours.

Least favorite line in that anthem.

semograd

No, I'm proud to be Canadian. No interest in being an American. I just think our song sucks compared to the US.

Actually the Inuktitut lyrics for the canadian national anthem are pretty bad ass

R154
I like the US anthem. I love our canadian anthem as well.

Its bullshit that the ideals that this country was built on is being systematically broken down.
MidnightSpecial
FFS.

I'd sing the Canadian national anthem if it got me citizenship. Seriously... It all boils down to respect. If you're an immigrant and refuse to sing the anthem, then go the fuck home. You leave your country for a supposedly better place, but you refuse to respect any of their culture and customs. I get it here in the states all the time..

"If you don't want to sing the Star Spangled Banner, get the fuck out."

"I'M TRYING."

And that's one thing... However if I came to a Flame's game and refused to stand and/or sing, I would be expecting an ass beating in the parking lot if not before then.
Tik-Tok
Originally posted by MidnightSpecial

I'd sing the Canadian national anthem if it got me citizenship. Seriously... It all boils down to respect. If you're an immigrant and refuse to sing the anthem, then go the fuck home. You leave your country for a supposedly better place, but you refuse to respect any of their culture and customs. I get it here in the states all the time..

Yeah, those dirty Jehovah's witness's, GO BACK TO YOUR OWN DAMN COUNTRY! Wait... what country was that again?

n1zm0
in elementary we had to sing it in french and english EVERY morning from gr1-6, people are so fked these days.

on a side note, the USSR/Russian Federation national anthem with the singing, now theres a hardcore in the face song, who cares what their saying all i can think of is ICBMs and AKs with a soviet flag in the background lol
Weapon_R
Yup, I love the Russian national anthem too.

rage2
Originally posted by jazzyb

Because I appreciate music?

As proud as I am of being Canadian, I can put aside any rabid nationalism and admit that we have a weak song as our anthem. It's a bland song, like something you hear on Lite-FM or whatever our current adult contemporary station is. It's dull sounding that when an entire sports stadium sings along, it sounds dreary (except for the final cheers but that's got nothing to do with the song).

Star Spangled Banner on the other hand covers nearly 2 octaves (o canada sits within 1 octave), and the notes itself sparks emotion. Play the vocal notes on a guitar or piano, and you'll have tons of improvisation ideas. Oh Canada... not so much. And the lyrics... bomb's bursting in air... that's the shit... it's like a scene from call of duty.

Comparing the 2 is like comparing a Whitney Houston song to an Avril Lavigne song. No comparison.

Super_Geo

Pff... fuck this, I'm not going to tip-toe around it: the Canadian national anthem blows.

The US anthem is better... but the best anthem of all time has to be the old school USSR anthem!

Listen to the whole song and tell me you wouldn't run into the battle field with nothing more than a fistful of ammo (and no gun... cause the guy in front of you has the gun).

edit... beaten by Weapon_R

dr_jared88

Because I appreciate music?

As proud as I am of being Canadian, I can put aside any rabid nationalism and admit that we have a weak song as our anthem. It's a bland song, like something you hear on Lite-FM or whatever our current adult contemporary station is. It's dull sounding that when an entire sports stadium sings along, it sounds dreary (except for the final cheers but that's got nothing to do with the song).

Star Spangled Banner on the other hand covers nearly 2 octaves (o canada sits within 1 octave), and the notes itself sparks emotion. Play the vocal notes on a guitar or piano, and you'll have tons of improvisation ideas. Oh Canada... not so much. And the lyrics... bomb's bursting in air... that's the shit... it's like a scene from call of duty.

Comparing the 2 is like comparing a Whitney Houston song to an Avril Lavigne song. No comparison.

As true as this is, I consider that a plus for the Canadian Anthem. It doesn't sound near as bad when the tone deaf guy that can only sing in one octave is blaring it out behind you. haha

QuasarCav

Fuck that bullshit.

I love Canada as much as anyone else. I run TWO different Remembrance Day websites for the sole purpose of educating people about when and why we mark that day. But, despite being as patriotic as they come, I still recognize when a song just isn't as good as it could be.

It's not a BAD song, but it doesn't sound as GREAT as it could.

Link?

eljefe
I am Canadian Anthem (Far more upbeat) Gotta love that video with it too!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_li...p;v=_kpW5A_8kCc
Antonito

Speaking of someone who needs to get the fuck out of the country....

eljefe
Originally posted by eljefe

No bombs bursting in air, just beer hockey and pride to be Canadian. I have no clue how to attach the actual youtube video to the post so if someone else can - I just put up the link.

rage2
I actually edited it for you, but you changed it back lol.
eljefe
I actually edited it for you, but you changed it back lol.

No way ! Really? All I did was change my message slightly not the link, at least thats what I thought....

I should be banned for stupidity

edit** or not

Revhard
This brings up a great point about how religion is such a boon to society.
The only reason immigrants do shit that seems ridiculous is because of their religion.
As to the banning of the Anthem, or not playing, whatever....
That guy should be instantly fired and brought in front of a judge.
He should explain why he thinks he gets to make a decision like that at all.
It is not the immigrants that get to make the final decisions, ever. It's always some pussy politician. I don't care where you are from, just don't sell your shit here. JW's included.
Have a nice "humpday" beyond...:angel:
hampstor
Originally posted by eljefe

That was my group's theme song in UofC 101... i really liked it back then, I still like it now. However as upbeat as it is, it is very plain. the 'I am... you know I am' got about as repetative as that Usher song where all you can hear is.. "ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya".

Annoying and repetitive is not what you want a national anthem to be.

I do find the immigrant hate in this thread funny. It's been clearly stated that this is a religious issue, but immigrant hate on still comes up :rofl:

ZEDGE

Oh heaven forbid someone should feel a sense of pride or duty to the country they live in.. that kind of thinking optimizes what that whole article is about. :nut:

canuckcarguy
Canadian anthem every morning at my daughter's school during general assembly. Private school ftw.
mx73someday
Originally posted by Antonito

I should leave because I would rather have children grow up before deciding whether they pledge themselves to the country? What will happen if children aren't told to sing the national anthem everyday?

Are you afraid that children won't love their country if they don't sing the national anthem?

Jim Rome99
I'm a proud Canadian but I don't sing Oh Canada. I will respectfully observe it purely for the purpose of having respect for people around me.

I do not believe in God; this is my choice just as you may choose to believe. I find the whole idea of organized religion and afterlife ludicrous. Regardless of how you feel about my opinion, I'm entitled to it and it should be respected just as I respect yours.

The line "God keep our land glorious and free!" does not respect my religious beliefs, which are guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Instead of telling me to "love it or leave it", you should ask yourself how you would feel if the line was "Oh Satan, we stand on guard for thee".

I don't want to hear the line, "this country was founded on Christian values" because that is simply not true. If you believe this to be true, you should look into the formation of Canada and how the country came to be.
canuckcarguy
Yep, we shouldn't teach our kids anything subjective, like patriotism, morality, common sense, manners, respect, etc. Let's let them figure it all out as adults. Sounds awesome.
msommers
MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS
01RedDX

I should leave because I would rather have children grow up before deciding whether they pledge themselves to the country? What will happen if children aren't told to sing the national anthem everyday?

Are you afraid that children won't love their country if they don't sing the national anthem?

Creating a sense of community and belonging in early education is essential to childhood development.

If you don't understand that, then please don't have kids, since you'll probably home school them and ruin them for life.

Jim Rome99
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Yep, we shouldn't teach our kids anything subjective, like patriotism, morality, common sense, manners, respect, etc. Let's let them figure it all out as adults. Sounds awesome.

Why do you think patriotism is a good thing? Nazi Germany was the most patriotic country the world has ever seen.

I'd rather teach my children to think objectively and make their own decisions. Canada is a great country but there are many things in its past, including Canada's treatment of Canadian born Japanese people in the 1940s and their entire past dealing with the native people of this country, that should not be ignored or denied.

For me, patriotism is much more than cheering for Team Canada in the hockey games and drinking Molson.

mx73someday
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

If these things are important to you, then YOU should teach these things to your children, why would you leave it up to the school?

zipdoa

I'm sure he has quite a few times... he is an importer, afterall :rolleyes:

method
Yeah speaking of politically correct BS, why don't we bring back daily recitation of the lord's prayer in the classroom?

Don't like that? It creates community and a sense of belonging.

I stand up at every hockey game, stare at the flag, and sing along to the anthem, but I do so because I want to.

Sometimes it embarasses me to be proud of this country when it's full of so many nationalist assholes.
BerserkerCatSplat
Originally posted by Jim Rome99

Why do you think patriotism is a good thing? Nazi Germany was the most patriotic country the world has ever seen.

Zero to Godwin in...3.5 pages. Not a record, but a valiant effort.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Pff... fuck this, I'm not going to tip-toe around it: the Canadian national anthem blows.

The US anthem is better... but the best anthem of all time has to be the old school USSR anthem!

Listen to the whole song and tell me you wouldn't run into the battle field with nothing more than a fistful of ammo (and no gun... cause the guy in front of you has the gun).

I love Canada, but I completely agree the Russian anthem is badass beyond belief. I actually used to have it as my ringtone, haha.

01RedDX

If these things are important to you, then YOU should teach these things to your children, why would you leave it up to the school?

What kind of schools prevent you from being a good parent? Schools should not give in to those few misguided parents who tell their kids not to sing along with their class for some insane reason. I would be against any proposition to remove the anthem from public schools if it ever becomes an issue here for any reason.

I just don't comprehend how someone can equate something as harmless as singing the national anthem (oh no! It's got the word 'god' in it!) with 'indoctrination.' Yes all those Muslim and Asian and Indian and European Canadians in this thread sure sound brainwashed, must be something in our schools' water.

Antonito

No, I just mean you in specific because you're an anti-authority douchebag who resents the government structure yet suckles from it's teat rather than growing a pair and moving somewhere that better reflects your desire to not live in a society where rules are enforced by "State violence"

Revhard
Originally posted by method
Yeah speaking of politically correct BS, why don't we bring back daily recitation of the lord's prayer in the classroom?

Don't like that? It creates community and a sense of belonging.

I stand up at every hockey game, stare at the flag, and sing along to the anthem, but I do so because I want to.

Sometimes it embarasses me to be proud of this country when it's full of so many nationalist assholes.

I was saying to my wife the other day how it used to be done like that everyday. I'm far from religious, but it didn't bother me at all. I have to go
100km/h, pay taxes, etc,etc. Somehow, listening to a song or a poem doesn't seem bad at all. It never did to me. I can't get my head around the b.s that gathers around this topic every time. The guys holding the 12 gauge shotguns screaming "Go to Canada", or "Believe in Jesus, Alla, Budha, Scientology..." really need to chill.
Living here has become such a chore for too many people. Don't even get me started about all of the b.s schools that are in the city catering to religious groups. The kids are being robbed of a real education even more than the public school kids.
Can we hire the Aussie Prime Minister for just a decade or so????:dunno:

mx73someday

No, I just mean you in specific because you're an anti-authority douchebag who resents the government structure yet suckles from it's teat rather than growing a pair and moving somewhere that better reflects your desire to not live in a society where rules are enforced by "State violence"

Looks like public schools worked on you!

canuckcarguy

I do teach these things to my daughter. But what, now it's inappropriate for me to expect the school's teachings to be fairly consistent with my own?

I think algebra, history, and grammar are important. Does this really mean that I should teach those things to my child, and not rely on the school for some help here? I'm not opposed to home schooling, in fact I think most kids could use more time with their parents and less time with public school teachers. But are you really suggesting that any important lessons should be taught only by parents?

The argument was made that we teach kids patriotism when they're young. Yes, we do, along with a host of other important things, like the aforementioned morality, decency, manners, etc. If we don't teach these things while the kids are young, they'll grow up to be ill-mannered thugs, which is the last thing society needs.

The Canadian anthem is sung and the Lord's prayer recited daily at my daughter's school by both the students and staff, and I applaud it.

Toms-SC

:clap: Well said. mx73someday is more radical then Toma.

Tomaz
Originally posted by Toms-SC

:clap: Well said. mx73someday is more radical then Toma.

Is that possible?!?!

Anyway, how does the National Anthem offend people? It mentions God; it doesn't have anything in the song that states an offensive attack on anyone else's lord.

I don’t see the translation from “God keep our land, glorious and free” to “God keep our land, fuck everyone else’s beliefs”

I don’t storm off and hide while someone speaks of their religion, why should these children not respect other’s beliefs as much as other respect theirs? My parents always said “be tolerant of others beliefs”. This situation shows total lack of respect for others. Why the fuck should we respect your beliefs if you can’t even tolerate ours? Fuck the disrespectful parents wishing to abolish the singing of our anthem in schools, or anywhere for that matter.

If anyone here has a problem with the anthem, show some respect by allowing others to enjoy their rights as much as you enjoy your. You could even sing different lyrics like: “Oh Canada, thanks for letting me live on your lands. I am so thankful I am not in a developing nation eating and drinking piss while being blown up by landmines, Etc.”

Originally posted by Jim Rome99

I'm a proud Canadian but I don't sing Oh Canada. I will respectfully observe it purely for the purpose of having respect for people around me.

Thank you for at least having the respect for others.

However, back to the main topic, removing you children from class while the nations song is being played is just ignorant. Trying to remove it from our schools is offencive. You live in Canada, respect it. Who cares if it states God, he might not exist anyway.:dunno:

Gainsbarre

Anyway, how does the National Anthem offend people? It mentions God; it doesn't have anything in the song that states an offensive attack on anyone else's lord.

Go back and read page 2?

Tomaz
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Go back and read page 2?

Does that give any justice to why they deny others rights to sing the anthem?

Gainsbarre

Does that give any justice to why they deny others rights to sing the anthem?

Not in my view, but it does shed light on the question that you were asking.

szw
I have issues with a couple different groups, neither of them being the minority group who made the complaints. It was only 2 parents (according to the article) who complained to the school. They have the right to complain all they want even though I would be in favor of not acting on those complaints.

I have an issue with the school for changing the rules based on only 2 complaints! Everything you do usually has some complaints that you have to deal with. They should be able to say sorry or make some other small compromise such as having those two students do some presentation or just sit aside or something.

My second issue is with all the people getting so outraged. IMO this really doesn't warrant much outrage at all. Why do people fixate on one small thing and make it seem like the end of the world? Is this country being shaken to its foundation by this? Why is it such a big deal when one school does something a large percentage of schools already do but just didn't announce like this?

Is it because Canadians don't really show a lot of pride and are trying to make up for it by showing outrage to this?
semograd

Looks like public schools worked on you!

Wow, anarchists are so cool!!!:banghead:

Tomaz
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Not in my view, but it does shed light on the question that you were asking.

It does, but it is still a rediculos statment

Originally posted by szw

Is it because Canadians don't really show a lot of pride and are trying to make up for it by showing outrage to this?

yes.

vengie
this is really pissing me off...
first no more "Merry Christmas" or no Christmas tree's in public places, and now this?? are you kidding me?

Welcome to Canada, accept our culture. You chose to come here...

our politicians need to stop being little bitches... we are loosing our identity as it is...

"Canada, the country that will change everything just to cater to your beliefs and needs!"
:banghead: :banghead:
method
Originally posted by vengie
this is really pissing me off...
first no more "Merry Christmas" or no Christmas tree's in public places, and now this?? are you kidding me?

Welcome to Canada, accept our culture. You chose to come here...

our politicians need to stop being little bitches... we are loosing our identity as it is...

"Canada, the country that will change everything just to cater to your beliefs and needs!"
:banghead: :banghead:

What culture? What identity? We're not all one big WASP community. So people don't want their kids singing the national anthem EVERY DAY oh noooo - it's been relegated to important events.

The whole story was only made more fantastic and ridiculous by running redundant footage on the news of some whiny little girls complaining about how 'not singing the anthem at school every day makes them sad because their uncle died in afghanistan'. Now, I don't expect 12 year old girls to have ANY sense of logic at all, but I expect the media to have the good sense not to pander to such frivilous bullshit.

Part of living in a free society is recognizing that you don't have to adhere to the cultural norms - whether they be anthem singing, religious practice, style of dress, or the values you bring your children up with.

I can't believe this is sailing over so many heads. Durrrr no anthem? ME MAD!!

Let's all worship jesus or our country will fall apart. That's what they said back in the 50s :rolleyes:

vengie
Originally posted by method

What culture? What identity? We're not all one big WASP community. So people don't want their kids singing the national anthem EVERY DAY oh noooo - it's been relegated to important events.

The whole story was only made more fantastic and ridiculous by running redundant footage on the news of some whiny little girls complaining about how 'not singing the anthem at school every day makes them sad because their uncle died in afghanistan'. Now, I don't expect 12 year old girls to have ANY sense of logic at all, but I expect the media to have the good sense not to pander to such frivilous bullshit.

Part of living in a free society is recognizing that you don't have to adhere to the cultural norms - whether they be anthem singing, religious practice, style of dress, or the values you bring your children up with.

I can't believe this is sailing over so many heads. Durrrr no anthem? ME MAD!!

Let's all worship jesus or our country will fall apart. That's what they said back in the 50s :rolleyes:

it goes MUCH deeper then the anthem, this country was founded on CHRISTIAN beliefs. I dont expect everyone that is in canada to be christian however they should at the very least respect OUR beliefs, and traditions.

and as for the identity, culture...
Our society has been warped severely by this influx of immigrants whining because we do things differently then their own culture.
and culture is a learned aspect, we are losing our culture because again our beliefs are being twisted and warped. Identity? again we are losing that as well...

Gainsbarre

it goes MUCH deeper then the anthem, this country was founded on CHRISTIAN beliefs. I dont expect everyone that is in canada to be christian however they should at the very least respect OUR beliefs, and traditions.

Founded on christian beliefs? Where in the British North America Act does it specify that? Canada has has no official state religion. Don't blindly apply American ideals onto Canada.

Vagabond142
There's an easy solution to this: bring back our original anthem and THEN see what the fuckers wanna say >:]

The Maple Leaf Forever = Canada's first anthem. Go, find it, listen to it.

The lyrics:

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero came,

And planted firm Britannia's flag,
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride,
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:
The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,
The Maple Leaf forever!
God save our King, and Heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf forever!

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane,
Our brave fathers, side by side,
For freedom, homes, and loved ones dear,
Firmly stood and nobly died;
And those dear rights which they maintained,
We swear to yield them never!
Our watchword evermore shall be,
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:

Our fair Dominion now extends
From Cape Race to Nootka Sound;
May peace forever be our lot,
And plenteous store abound:
And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever,
And flourish green o'er freedom's home
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:

On merry England's far famed land
May kind heaven sweetly smile,
God bless old Scotland evermore
and Ireland's Em'rald Isle!
And swell the song both loud and long
Till rocks and forest quiver!
God save our King and Heaven bless
The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:
semograd
or like i said the inuktitut version:

O Canada!
Land of our forefathers
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights
Will protect our homes and our rights.
Jim Rome99

and as for the identity, culture...
Our society has been warped severely by this influx of immigrants whining because we do things differently then their own culture.
and culture is a learned aspect, we are losing our culture because again our beliefs are being twisted and warped. Identity? again we are losing that as well...

This country was not founded on Christian beliefs. You are wrong. Furthermore, you are ignorant of the history of your own country. Shame on you.

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog