PDA

View Full Version : 05-06 legacy gt

dR-
06-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi, im looking to buy a 05-06 legacy gt.
was wonder what are common problems with the car, how reliable they are, gas consumption, and is maintenance expensive?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

psycoticclown
06-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I got one. Pretty damn reliable, theres no major major problems. Maintenance is around average for a Japanese sedan... you can do most of your oil changes yourself if you know how to do them, just bring it in for major services. Mileage is pretty bad though, I average 12-13 L/100 in the city, highway is pretty good at 9L/100 but it takes premium so it's not exactly a fuel sipper.

It's easy to get a lot of power out of these cars as it has a STI block, just smaller turbo. $75 will get you a stage 1 tune from Airboy which will give you ~15-20 whp, stage 2 can be had for around $1k for a new DP and UP (or even free if you decide to just gut the cats in both pipes) and you'll be making ~250-270 whp and up to 290 wtq. One thing I would suggest is to get the MT, it can handle a lot more torque than the 5EAT.

They're great cars though, the AWD is amazing in winter, pretty luxurious inside and it hauls. And it flies under the radar if that's what you're looking for. I would get new tires for it though as the stock tires suck.

Hope that helps!

Perfect Dark
06-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I loved my Leggy, but here is a punch list of the things to watch for:

-Subaru paint is akin to kleenex....your front end will chip if you look at it wrong.
-The fog light lenses on my car were both broken by the time I got rid of it...3M those bad boys.
-The windshields aren't very strong out of the factory...combine that with Calgary winters and you are looking at a new one every couple of years.
-The stock RE92 rubbers are TERRIBLE, get new ones as already mentioned.
-Make sure the recall has been done for the rad fan relay, it isn't a big deal but if it isn't done they will have to replace the ECU as well and it's a pita to get one ordered in.

The car was rock solid with no issues mechanically though, I was extremely happy with it. I had a ton of power mods done and the car responded very well with no problems. Maintenance is about average, I would recommend taking the car to a place like Option Import as opposed to the dealership as the price will be much less for the same procedure.

I actually found gas consumption to be pretty good...averaged 450km to a tank (combined highway/city driving), considering it's an AWD platform it isn't too bad at all.

Good luck with the search!

A

alloroc
06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a 2005 base model.

Things that are positives ...
The hood is aluminum ... so if the paint does chip it won't rust.
Kumho SPT's are pretty cheap and they really liven up the handling.

psycoticclown
06-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Oh and I just noticed my car consumes a bit of oil, so make sure you keep an eye on your oil level.

If you need more information, www.legacygt.com is great.

dR-
06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
thnx alot for all the help from everyone, i really appriciate it.
Im still looking for one and their really hard to find....considering that im from Toronto.

Will keep you guys updated if i find something reasonable.

Thnx

alloroc
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Its a long way but check Montana ads.

Every time I drive through there 1 in every 3 cars is a subbie.