PDA

View Full Version : Turbo K20A2 Where do I start

tharnet
06-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I've been tossing this around in my head for a while, do up my RSX or sell it and buy new. I have come to the conclusion that I will get more out of modding my current car that buying new. Where should I start in my quest for boost?

sr20s14zenki
06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Start off by finding a turbo that suits your needs. Next, you will need engine management of some sort, DO NOT CHEAP OUT HERE, you will be sorry. After that comes fabrication of piping for intercooler, turbo lines, etc. Downpipe fabrication,manifold fabrication, etc...

you can get a kit im sure, a few companies make them. Honda fuel pumps are usually pretty good so im sure itll be fine on light boost.

thats about all that comes to mind right now

dj_rice
06-16-2009, 08:44 PM
What is your budget?

Offhand, I know Peakboost and FullRace make turbo kits for your application

Errol.
06-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Get a good tune!

Mr_ET
06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
you sound like someone who should buy a kit if you don't know where to start to get boost. I recommend something like the Greddy kit it will give you all you need and still offer good reliability as long as you don't up the boost.

If you feel like upgrading after at least you already have a good base and you can then get better engine management like a K pro and get a good tune at a higher boost level.

civicsi
06-16-2009, 09:54 PM
if your looking at a peak boost kit pm me, i can get new kits and there is 1 used kit at the moment that will be coming off my friends car.

Revhard
06-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Peakboost kits are putting out 400whp drivers on pump gas. Turbo done right is a wonderful thing!

Mr_ET
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
don't peak boost still require you providing an engine management solution?

I agree it is a better kit but I believe it is not a "complete" plug and play solution.

Revhard
06-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
don't peak boost still require you providing an engine management solution?

I agree it is a better kit but I believe it is not a "complete" plug and play solution.

Yes, anybody that is going to mod the rsx has to. K-pro is the ticket. It is definitely not a plug and play solution.
Also, get the boost solenoid from Hondata.
Spend some time on clubrsx in the turbo section. There are so many builds, the info is all there.
Also, if you are not at least moderately experienced in wrenching and such, get a guy like Mr_ ET to put the kit on for you.
This is not a beginners type of project.

Other very important considerations:
Stg.3 clutch from clutchamsters or competition clutch
Decent tires, even for the street
Larger exhaust(3")
Poly Motor Mounts(not inserts, complete replacements)
A very good tuner like Matthew at Tecmotion.(tuned many rsx's, including mine and various turbo/supercharged ones)
Gauges
New fuel pump( walbro with return system)

As you can see, the cost to do this is going to hit $10,000+.
It is an excellent kit for a great car, and if you do it right, it will last a very long time with no issues. 400whp in an rsx would be very fast. 185mph would be no problem on an open road, and the car would be a run for the smaller bikes.
Good luck, have fun.
:thumbsup:

Mar
06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Is this going to be your daily driver? I'd recommend against that in case you get everything torn down and run into problems or if you can't get it tuned properly and it runs like trash for a few months.

texasnick
06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
First, you need to build with an end power goal in mind. How much whp are you looking for? There are turbo k20a2's with anywhere from 400whp-ish all the way into and above the 600's.

It's all about what kind of power you want, how you want that power delivered, and how much money you have to throw at it.

But since your k20 is in the chassis it was designed for, you will be able to source completely "bolt-in" turbo kits. They usually come minus the engine management. Peakboost, Greddy and Fullrace make RSX kits, I believe.

If I were shooting for 450 whp in an RSX (which I think is doable without beefing up internals), you are going to have to support this F/I.

You will want / need;

- Motor Mounts
- A good clutch
- Sticky tires
- Engine Management (K-Pro is probably the best solution here)
- Fuel Pump, Pressure Regulator, Fuel Rail, Injectors. Be careful when you choose your fuel system. K series motors use a RETURNLESS fuel system, and since your car came from the factory with a k, it would be more trouble than it's worth to turn it into a return type fuel system.
- A good LSD
- A better flowing exhaust system (ie Race Header, 3" exh)
- Guages to keep an eye on everything
- A tune....and a GOOD one.

The hardest part will be getting the power to the ground, in order to use it to its full potential.

All that being said, depending on your power goals, you have MANY options available to you.

Have you considered supercharging, N20, or all motor?

Mar
06-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Comptech and Jackson Racing also offer Superchargers for the K series.

texasnick
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
So does Kraftwerks......:love:

Here's the k series breakdown.......

N/A - 2.4 block + k20a2 head, I/RH/E, sleeves, rods, kpro, badass cams, high comp. pistons, RBC manifold and a tune ~ 300 whp

Positive Displacement S/C (comptech kit, JR kit) - The most I've seen is about 310 whp at about 9 psi. This was with I/RH/E, 650 cc injectors, kpro and water/meth injection, and it was in a TSX motor.

Centrifugal S/C - Not sure, haven't looked into it too much

Rotrex Cent. S/C - Not much known about them, but on a stock k20a, I have seen (on the c38) around 400 whp at 9-10ish PSI. These chargers are capable of 600 + whp on the k series.

Check this thread out;
http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58668

Turbo - I have seen dyno's of k series cars with over 800 whp, stock sleeve k20's with over 700 whp. It's all about how much you want.

Sorry, I'm kind of rambling on. I tend to do that with k series stuff lol

Revhard
06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
The centrifugal route is one full of custom fabrication.
It is an efficient design, but one that does not compliment the powerband of the motor. The roots-type blowers are really fun to have, but belts are an issue.
Turbo is the way to go, for sure. Just don't go too big and the thing will drive incredible.

texasnick
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Agreed. With the 2.0, and an RSX, I believe a bolt on mild turbo kit would be the way to go.....if the rest of the car could take it of course.

I have seen some really cool results from the rotrex s/c kits though. VERY linear power for a centrifugal.

Revhard, are you one of the k24a2 RSX's? There are 2 of you guys in town, right? That's an impressive ET in your sig.

tharnet
06-22-2009, 06:26 PM
WOW!! This is a huge ammount of info to sort through. Ideally I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg. This is a daily driver for me however, I am looking to add a little extra zip. I do want something reliable that isn't going to drain my bank for the next 5 years. Budget would be around 5k ish if that is realistic for what I want. What do you guys suggest for that?

Mr_ET
06-23-2009, 06:26 AM
a bolt on turbo kit like the greddy one, anything else though good will be more expensive.

Revhard
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by texasnick
Agreed. With the 2.0, and an RSX, I believe a bolt on mild turbo kit would be the way to go.....if the rest of the car could take it of course.

I have seen some really cool results from the rotrex s/c kits though. VERY linear power for a centrifugal.

Revhard, are you one of the k24a2 RSX's? There are 2 of you guys in town, right? That's an impressive ET in your sig.

No, stock k20. Bolt-ons and slicks.

You will not be happy with one of the cheap kits. They make such weak power, hardly worth the hassle. For 5g's, you could put together a zippy little n/a car. 200whp and Honda reliability.
5g's in a turbo kit will get you 230whp for all of your trouble.

Mr_ET
06-24-2009, 06:28 AM
i'd say about 235-240 and much more torque than N/A though.

You can always up the boost down the line if you want to upgrade the fuel management.

Chris your way requires a k pro and tuning on a dyno so it's not a complete bolt on and go solution. You also have crazy axles so you can launch at very high rpms and your car is uber gutted for all those runs:poosie:

Revhard
06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
i'd say about 235-240 and much more torque than N/A though.

You can always up the boost down the line if you want to upgrade the fuel management.

Chris your way requires a k pro and tuning on a dyno so it's not a complete bolt on and go solution. You also have crazy axles so you can launch at very high rpms and your car is uber gutted for all those runs:poosie:

True, but anything good should have k-pro.
My axles were a waste of money, stock ones are running 10's.
The clutch is the good part, and no goofy lightened flywheel.

PremiumRSX
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by texasnick
Revhard, are you one of the k24a2 RSX's? There are 2 of you guys in town, right?

Really.. 2 in town?

I thought I was the only one.. Guess I'm not so special anymore.

texasnick
06-26-2009, 07:37 AM
haha no maybe it's just you. It's the multiple forums thing LOL.

Still the coolest RSX in town man....don't worry.;)