PDA

View Full Version : Turbo E36 - M50 vs S52

zipdoa
09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I have an E36 that needs more juice... currently have a wrecked E36 in calgary with S52 et tout for about $3500.

I would like to know if anyone on beyond has had any experience boosting an M50 or S52, and which engine you suggest I go with. Obviously the S52 has more displacement and stock power, but I've heard that the M50 has a stronger block and can withstand more boost.

Thanks!

Here's some eye-candy... just got it painted Carbon Black, more pics to follow.

1-Bar
09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
I was in the same boat you were a year ago, just researching and reading. The M50 NV is a great motor to boost, stronger block/thickest rods outta the M series. S52 is a great motor as well, but from experience, nothing beats boost.....

All in all, I think you'll spend less and have less headache's with the S52 swap, but the M50 turbo could possibly output more power (but more coin)....

colt22
10-01-2009, 12:35 AM
carbon black is terrible for E36 IMO..
I would go M52... I am traditionalist and prefer NA.. but youll probably get alot more power out of the dollar from the turboed m50, depending on where you get it from

uv1569
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Nice thing about a turbo'd S52 is the displacement (duh) also the fact they come with forged cranks which is nice depending on how much power you want to squeeze. either way if your going to boost either motor more than 8psi.... Rip the head off and put on a thicker MLS head gasket

Another thing you have to consider is if you do go with the S52 you have to convert it to OBD1 which is great for the simple fact you dont have to run a standalone system or send your DME for a remote tune depending on what company u go with.

Blocks are all essentially the same along with the heads. (S52 heads have bigger valves and more aggressive cams)

Some of the other things you have to watch out for on the S52 motor is the vanos which can be a pain in the ass to tune.. Simple fix for that is to do a vanos delete.

qmf
10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Not one good idea for power listed, good Bmw enthusiasts you guys are.....

If you want to part with the block message me I would be interested.

And how is a m50 stronger then a s52?? Considering the S has forged pistons/rods/and most importantly the CRANK.

Did no one read his question? He asked which is better to boost, not whether to go N/A M to boosted S. S52 is better to boost.....S38 even better. you want to save coin, boost the M50, VAC head gasket is the way to go; dont boost without it. My car has just a vac gasket and has no issues......

rzepUtexWTs

Thats a 520whp viper

But no.....good suggestions guys......

zipdoa
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by qmf
Not one good idea for power listed, good Bmw enthusiasts you guys are.....

If you want to part with the block message me I would be interested.

And how is a m50 stronger then a s52?? Considering the S has forged pistons/rods/and most importantly the CRANK.

Did no one read his question? He asked which is better to boost, not whether to go N/A M to boosted S. S52 is better to boost.....S38 even better. you want to save coin, boost the M50, VAC head gasket is the way to go; dont boost without it. My car has just a vac gasket and has no issues......

rzepUtexWTs

Thats a 520whp viper

But no.....good suggestions guys......

did you build a kit yourself or go with TRM?

rage2
10-19-2009, 06:29 PM
My experience with boosting the S52. Old project from a few years ago.

http://www.rage2.com/project01.htm

I talk a bit about the limits of the stock block.

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
LS1

qmf
10-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
LS1

No thanx, my 328is 331 sbc on spray will rape that :thumbsup:

qmf
10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2
My experience with boosting the S52. Old project from a few years ago.

http://www.rage2.com/project01.htm

I talk a bit about the limits of the stock block.

Only reason for a s52 is the crank

When ur m3 comin out to play......

benyl
10-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by qmf

Haha, you have no idea what you are talking about.

There is an LS1 E36 in Calgary that outruns the 2010 GTR without breaking a sweat.

Team_Mclaren
10-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by qmf

what about LS1 + cam + intake + exhaust? :rofl: :rofl:

zipdoa
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by benyl

There is an LS1 E36 in Calgary that outruns the 2010 GTR without breaking a sweat.

pics or link???

this is actually my goal... the father of a friend of mine has purchased a white 2010 GTR and lets him lap it at racecity. needless to say i was more than a little bit jealous and started masterminding a plan to build my e36 to be faster (around a track of course).

i would love to lap faster than a GTR !

scat19
10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Rage - time to update your site with your latest M car....

qmf
10-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by benyl

So does my E30 M3, but thanx for coming out. Was a 2010 Black GT-R

qmf
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

what about LS1 + cam + intake + exhaust? :rofl: :rofl:

Oh no....a H/C Ls........those bottle fed run 11's......So yes that would be fine :thumbsup:

rage2
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by scat19
Rage - time to update your site with your latest M car....
That sites like 7 years old haha. Besides, I never tuned my M3, just a kit, boring.

scat19
10-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That sites like 7 years old haha. Besides, I never tuned my M3, just a kit, boring.

Yes, but in the e46 M world - there are no independant tuners (Im pretty sure). And they're tough at that.

m10-power
11-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

pics or link???

this is actually my goal... the father of a friend of mine has purchased a white 2010 GTR and lets him lap it at racecity. needless to say i was more than a little bit jealous and started masterminding a plan to build my e36 to be faster (around a track of course).

i would love to lap faster than a GTR !

Ask him about his ride in my ls1 e36

GTR is a cool car, but IMO boring. They certainly are not as fast as the interweb/nurburgring hype.

qmf I think the black GTR's are a bit slower though.

qmf
11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Ask him about his ride in my ls1 e36

GTR is a cool car, but IMO boring. They certainly are not as fast as the interweb/nurburgring hype.

qmf I think the black GTR's are a bit slower though.

Are the pinks ones the fastest?........I hope to christ your kidding
How much did your E36 put down?
I think my buddy dave rode in your car for the lap dave, got some good footage and pics

m10-power
11-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by qmf

Are the pinks ones the fastest?........I hope to christ your kidding
How much did your E36 put down?
I think my buddy dave rode in your car for the lap dave, got some good footage and pics

Photographer Dave, ya he came for some laps as well. I still need to pick up a CD of the photos from him...

Originally posted by qmf
No thanx, my 328is 331 sbc on spray will rape that

I doubt I'm worried about being raped ;)

Not sure what it puts down, last dyno was a couple of years ago when it was a 346CI factory bottom end with a cam, custom headers and full exhaust for the BMW. I think it put down 420rwhp. Now it's a fully built forged 383ci stroker with ~11.5:1 SCR, same cam, FAST 90/90, modified factory heads <- 30-40 more hp in a good set of aftermarket ones, a drysump oil system (rumoured to be worth 40-50hp).

I'd wager it's in the 460rwhp range, I'm going to dyno it before the winter hits, just waiting on a replacement coil.

Should be 500rwhp with good heads all NA. Not bad for a push rod two valve engine ;)

But by spring it will be ~700rwhp give or take with around 7psi of supercharged boost

I got into the high 1:21 lap times, need some downforce and more tire (240 wide doesn't cut it), some bigger brakes and more spring rate (~1000#/in) then it should be doing some seriously fast lap times. Wear 'depends' if you want to ride in it next year, I know I will be... :eek:

Now the OP asked about turboing his car, now that I know he want to track it I strongly suggest the LS1. Or spend some serious money on a properly setup turbo system which would exceed the LSx swap.

Going fast on the street is one thing, surviving on the track is quite another. NA is best or buy a factory turbocharged performance car.

Redlyne_mr2
11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Going fast on the street is one thing, surviving on the track is quite another. NA is best or buy a factory turbocharged performance car.

///END THREAD