Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Home and Garden

Windows Leaking - repair: contractors? - Click HERE for Original Thread

aznexec
Hi all,

Hoping some of you can suggest contractors to go with. I've got 3 windows - above my front entrance....I'm not sure if one or all of them are leaking.... It's tough get a close look because the windows are quite high and not really assessable to me...

I need someone to diagnose the problem (ie. if it's a sealent problem / window flashing problem) and quote on repair....The house is only 10 years old so I am doubting the windows need replacement.

Any company name referrals would be great. Would like to get this fixed up before years end....to include on the tax credit and more importantly - to stop the water-damage and potential for mold.

Thanks in advance
TomcoPDR
It is wooden casing or the newer vinyl?

What about just seal around with caulking?

Edit: You did mention the height issue, what about renting a ladder from a rental store? Or even a outdoor scissor lift. (pending how big your house is)
sxtasy
is the exterior of your house siding? Can you see if there are drip flashings above the windows?
FiveFreshFish
Could get expensive if you have stucco or stone fašade finish. Best if you have vinyl siding.
aznexec
It's stucco....and my shingles are concrete tile..so i'd be afraid to walk on it in fear of breaking some tile...the casing/ trim around the window is not wood..believe it's metal/aluminum? In my previous home I had vinyl siding and wood casing and was able to go up and do it myself w/ silicone ...not this time though...

Hope it's not too expensive!! Need to find someone who can evaluate/quote/repair...Most window places are new installs...not much luck finding repairmen...any suggestions would be huge.

Thanks for replies/help thus far...
masoncgy
It's not necessarily the windows that are leaking...

I had such a problem at my home back in the spring, where water was dripping from the window casings on the interior side, but the water was making it's way there from a leak in the roof, dripping into the soffit and then running back against the exterior wall (stucco) and into the house via the window casing.

A new roof solved the problem.
aznexec
Originally posted by masoncgy
It's not necessarily the windows that are leaking...

I had such a problem at my home back in the spring, where water was dripping from the window casings on the interior side, but the water was making it's way there from a leak in the roof, dripping into the soffit and then running back against the exterior wall (stucco) and into the house via the window casing.

A new roof solved the problem.

Hopefully it's not a new roof or even a leak in the roof, my house is only 10 yrs old w/ concrete tile shingles....

Do you remember who you got to diagnose the issue?

Cheers,

FiveFreshFish
Look in the attic for dampness right after a good rainfall.
alloroc
How humid is your house?

It could also be condensation.
masoncgy
Originally posted by aznexec
Hopefully it's not a new roof or even a leak in the roof, my house is only 10 yrs old w/ concrete tile shingles....

Do you remember who you got to diagnose the issue?

I actually did the diagnosis myself. I didn't understand how a window that has a 3 ft roof overhang above it could possibly get water leaking through the top casing inside the house... even with driving rain, it shouldn't have been enough moisture to penetrate & drip like that...

So... I got the ladder out and started checking the eavestrough to make sure it wasn't clogged and backing up water, and low and behold, I can see the soffit is drenched with water... and the water is able to run back against the house above the window... so that's where the penetration was...

When I tore the soffit out, I could see the leak dripping from the roof, about 2 ft back from the eavestrough in the main valley... check the shingles above and sure enough, they are beginning to curl, so water is finding it's way through and leaking down...

I had a new roof installed... done deal... zero leaks.

I am fortunate that I had no significant damage to my home... just a little inconvenience.

aznexec
Originally posted by alloroc
How humid is your house?

It could also be condensation.

Yeah, in the winter I do get a lot of condensation and try manage that by turning down the humidifier, getting some airflow into the house....not closing the blinds/shudders..etc....

But I don't think that is is the cause... got a nice water stain after the heavy wet snow we got on SAT melted away - could be all the snow that was sitting on the exterior window sill...

aznexec
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Look in the attic for dampness right after a good rainfall.

I will give this a shot... see if I can see any signs of leakage...will likely have to get up there b/c the access at the backside of the house and windows that are leaking are at the front....

Good work masoncgy on finding your cause. I think the front of my house gets the brunt force of wind/elements.....because it seems all my front windows have leakage even main floor....just not as bad as the upper level windows...

Most windows places will only come quote new windows and not dignose the problems...maybe not worth their time...my boss had the same problem with all his rear windows and just ended up changing them all out....ARG. I don't have that kinda of moola right now, but I know how important it is to fix it to prevent further damage.. guess I will continue to make calls...

FiveFreshFish
I had leaks in my windows on the back side of my house. It was fixed under the new home warranty program so I don't know how much it would have cost me.

The stucco repair crew had to strip off everything right down to the sheeting on the entire back wall of the house (two-storey with a walkout). They had to do this to replace everything to ensure proper overlaps on the Tyvek and the stuff that goes around the windows. By doing the entire wall, it was harder to spot the seam at the corners between new and old stucco. They did a pretty good colour match that I could barely see a week after the repair. A year later, I couldn't tell.
masoncgy
Are you able to post a picture of the windows and highlight where the water is coming in from?

That would assist in diagnosing where the water is penetrating.
aznexec
pretty dark out there by the time i get home..i work M-F get home at 6:30 and don't have much light..i'm going to have to set aside some time this sat..weather permitting to investigate this further...and maybe get some pictures...if the weather is good I will try the use my hose to see if I can trace it.. will let you guys know if i find anything...in the mean time, if any anyone has a contact that has all the skilled trades to trace...enough knowledge in roofing, stucco and window for me to contact - do keep me posted.

Thanks all.
barmanjay
There is only ONE way to positively find out where the moisture is coming from

you need a thermal imaging scan of the area after you've hosed with water.

Call Dan or Pam - 403-313-9506
AccuHome Inspections
http://www.calgaryhomeinspector.biz/

Tell them Jay from maxwell gave you their number, explain the situation and they will likely come out and scan the areas in question. It will cost you a couple hundred just for the scan but you will know every tiny pinhole leak.

You can get the full treatment for about $500+gst with a written report and etc.

I am deadly serious about using this guy. He is in my opinion the Best in Calgary.

He has also recently been contacted with the holmes foundation to do their inspections when they are in town. They only pick the best.
Bimmer88
Thanks Jay.

I will probably contact that guy because in our house, we've replaced the siding, deck, and roof.

STILL water LEAKS!!! in from the windows and I'm afraid that its going to cause mold... which will definitely shorten my lifespan by... maybe 15 years if not more.
aznexec
Bimmer88, sorry to hear all that fixing up has not corrected your leak...

Jay, I appreciate that...a few hundred to know where the leaks are coming from so the proper fix can be made can save thousands....esp. if they can not only find all leaks but suggest what needs to be done, and potentially suggest contractors...

Cheers. Curt
barmanjay
No problem guys

When you get the diagnosis, post up the pics of the thermal imaging so we can see. I love looking at that stuff!

Here is an example of how sensative the camera is

After standing on a spot for just a min and stepped out of the way,.. the camera can see where you were standing.

aznexec
So it's booked for Nov 2...

They say an average site specific inspection costs ~185...roughly 1/2 hrs time... the site inspection looks at specific requests of the home owner.

I may just pay the extra 115 and get the full thermal inspection for the entire home...just as an added measure...since he is there...

If Dan can pinpoint the issue and more importantly identify what the fix should be ....that would be huge!

Will let you know how it goes.
aypi
any update on this? i might also need to get my house inspected.
aznexec
Update:

Dan was great.

The value of what he offers is definitely not just limited to owning a thermal imaging gun.....it was evident in his knowledge of construction/upkeep/repair. Right away he said he would need to climb on the roof to take a look from the outside...most home inspectors will not do that..but he did without hesitation. He took detailed pictures and examined the stucco and window frame from the outside.

When he came down he said that he found the source of the leak..below one of the windows there was a gap between the stucco and window sill. during freeze/melt is probably what caused the leaking...there were also small cracks around the stucco frame that he suggested caulking

...he didn't really need the thermal imaging gun but we decided to do the full imaging only inspection anyhow for our own sake and thought there was value to it ....at the end of the day he ended up checking for gas leaks and explaining stuff to us that would have normally only in the full inpsection...he even offered to go up with his silicone tube and seal the one problem window from the inside as well... but there were mold spores so he suggested we treat and do it after we fix the outer issue...

a couple weeks ago I went on the roof, bought some backer rod...filled the larger gap...siliconed ontop of the backer rod and siliconed all the cracks... we have had one large snowfall with a significant melt and have had no water leak through...so i am pretty confident it is all fixed (dan even mentioned that if i fixed that gap and there was still a leak he would come back for free to take another look and do the technique where we spray the window and use the gun)..I had no idea how to walk on the concrete tile roof without breaking shingles and Dan let me know the best way...

in the end ...it just cost me a few bucks for the silicone and backer rod....the mold treatment spray took care of the fugly water stain so you can't even tell.....and we got a full thermal report (nice multiple pdf file) for our own records (everything was good except small things)...that technology is sooo cool....the report would be valuable if/when we sell the home.

Thanks Jay for refering Dan to us...well worth his services!
aypi
thanks for the review. i will try to find the problem this weekend. if i cant fix it i will give him a call. how long did you have to wait for an appointment? and how much did it cost you if you dont mind me asking. and also would he do the repair himself?
barmanjay
Originally posted by aznexec

Thanks Jay for refering Dan to us...well worth his services!

I do think is is one of the best,.. if not,.. the best in alberta

Pacman
So, can Dan from Accuhome figure out where a leak is coming from?

We just realized the hardwood in our dining room has buckled, so water is coming in from somewhere. It's along an outside wall of the house and I can see some baseboard damage in the corner under a small window. I think it's either coming in from the window, or maybe the small roof above (it's a cantilever with a small roof on top, not the main roof). It would be nice to know if it's the roof, as we just had it replaced last month......

Pac

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog