Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Health and Fitness

Nausea From Working Under Cars - Click HERE for Original Thread

ianmcc
For the last few years I have had an unusual ailment: while lying on my back working underneath cars I get serious nausea. It usually takes 30-60 minutes but after that it's to the point where I have to get up and move around or else.
Someone mentioned it to me a while back that it is a form of vertigo but I don't get dizzy at all, nor do I get headaches. I work around heights all day and my dad is a pilot so I have been in smaller planes while growing up.
I also don't have claustrophobia-never had trouble in enclosed spaces.
Anyone else experience this issue? It really puts a damper on a car guy! Should I use this problem to weasel a rotisserie from the wife?
n1zm0
you ever had a head injury in the past or a bad ear infection? cause if its been a few years, maybe something to do with the inner ear cochlea or w/e that takes care of our equilibrium.
ZiG-87
You don't get nauseated when you just lay down on your back on a couch or something, do you? If not, maybe the added physical exertion is what causes it. Are you doing the work on an empty or full stomach?
ianmcc
No previous head injury, and I don't have trouble lying down.
My wife always has to remind me to eat when I am wrenching-maybe that has something to do with it. Combine that with the exertion (kinda like doing 100 twisting, contorting stomach crunches) and that's the trigger. I guess I don't eat because since I have dirty hands it makes no sense to clean up and eat.
I always thought it had to do with the confined space or an inner ear problem (as mentioned).
JfuckinC
low blood sugar or something due ot no eating maybe?
Cock Knuckle
Are you working in a garage at home. Fumes possibly?
Cooked Rice
do you use a creeper with an adjustable head rest?
A790
Originally posted by Cock Knuckle
Are you working in a garage at home. Fumes possibly?

Lots of gases will sink to the garage floor and sit there. Try ventilating your work space and seeing if that helps.

topmade
Do you wear glasses? Maybe get your eyes checked out. I get the same way when reading or looking at detailed things too long and glasses helped out. I have good vision, but the glasses just put less stress on my eyes and I don't wear them otherwise. And +1 for eating better as well.
Kloubek
The part that really makes no sense to me is that it only happens when you are under cars. If it doesn't when you are laying down, then you can pretty much count out an inner ear problem, or anything like that.

It is possible you are getting hit with heavy gasses, but I doubt it. Especially if you happen to leave your garage door open when working.

Physical strain is a possibility. I know myself that being under a car, I do tend to utilize different muscles.

I would venture to guess that closterphobia would likely be noticed by you if it existed. It isn't like your mind is tricking you into thinking you don't have it. Either you do, or you don't... and if you are unaware of it, I would say you don't.
ianmcc
I used to use a creeper but the POS I use has bent casters and they don't fully rotate (no weight limit jokes!) and get jammed against the frame. Now I just use large cardboard and slide around on them.
I had the garage door open and I had the front facing out for good lighting so there were no fumes. And I do need to get glasses but I have been putting it off-only one eye needs them and only for far distances so it really hasn't bothered me.
What is unusual is I have never heard of anyone else with the same problem. It must be related to the physical exertion; that's all I can think of. And as I mentioned this has been going on for years now under many different cars under different situations. Next time I need to crawl under a car I am going to eat a good meal first, then see how long I can just lie under it, without moving around and see if the nausea returns. I need to see if I can rule out food and exertion as factors.
Rat Fink
I have the big black creeper from Canadian Tire. The thing is a friggin battleship (what the mechanics I used to work with called it). It won't bend casters on you, and it has an adjustable head rest to put really zero stress on your body.

....just looking online at their site, they don't have the one I own in the listing anymore, but they have some that are very similar. The nascar one looks pretty similar (slight style and name change).

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog