PDA

View Full Version : EJ22 > EJ25 questions

tomt64
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey peeps, Im a total Subie newbie when it comes to these engines please bear with me...
Anyways I have a 99 impreza wagon EJ22 sohc and I reckon its got rod knock, its starting to get pretty damn loud. I already did one head gasket [drivers side the nightmare head bolt lol] and new exhaust valve and at this point I just want to chuck another motor in and kiss this one goodbye.
I would like to know if:

1) Can I reuse my current harness or have to get one w/ an uncut harness?
2) Most probably need the 25 ECU Im assuming?
3) Looking on wiki, there are so many variations of the EJ25, but none are stated which 25 was used in the Japanese market, only noting US, S.A, and Aussie markets... does anybody have more info on which type comes from Japan?
4) Being in Alberta, emissions is nothing to be worried about, would it be advised I stay with OBDII format or could I technically get away with an OBDI 25?
5) Any differences in the bellhousings for the 22 and 25? Could I chuck in the EJ25 trans without much trouble eg. axles, slip yoke, harness fit?
6) Last q, the cluster, could I use my USDM one w or w/o splicing, or would I have to go w/ the JDM cluster?

Appreciate any helpful info

OR if anyone smarter than my subie knowledge could suggest a motor that would be easier/ more convenient than the 25, Im open ears! Thanks...