PDA

View Full Version : New Intercooler Concern

Civicnati0n
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey whatsup guys, I haven't posted here in awhile since my turbo hatch was totaled due to a rear end collision. When my car got smashed in the back it shot forward into the car in front of mine which warped the **** out of my intercooler/rad. Since then I got a new body and am going to swap the boosted engine.
My old JohnnyRaceCar (JRC) intercooler was 36" x 6.5" x 2.5". It's pretty damn hard to find an intercooler that long without having a massive 10"+ height. The intercooler that I'm looking to buy now is 27"x6"x2.5". This intercooler is 9" shorter than my last one which leaves 4.5" of space on each side between my charge piping. I have made a diagram to show you what it will look like:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/anal_scrubber/intercooler.jpg

So my question is, would it be ok to connect the intercooler/piping together using a 5" long silicone coupler on each end? The intercooler has some supports helping to hold its weight up but would the long couplers be more prone to blowing off the piping?
The other way it would have to be done is I could weld 4" piece of piping on each side then use a regular size coupler. What would be the recommended solution?

LUDELVR
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
From what I've seen, there are some kits that will use an "L" shape coupling and it looks to be at least 5" in length.

Silicone couplings are pretty freaking strong so I would give it a go and worst case Ontario, just throw in a coupel of 2" pieces of pipe and just shorten the silicone piping if you're really concerned...although it would look a bit wierd if exposed! haha :rofl:

mo_money2supe
02-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm using a coupler that's at least 6'' long on one of my connections; it's also at a 5 degree offset from the intercooler. Plenty of full-out runs and so far no leaks or any other issues. Been about a year of driving on it like this now.

zieg
02-17-2010, 11:32 PM
It will be fine as long as you don't plan to boost over a couple hundred PSI. But if the gap is 4.5", and you plan to use a 5" coupler... uhh... well, just think that one over one more time before you go out and buy the coupler.

Civicnati0n
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Lol well the coupler is 12" so I'd be cutting it to the right sizes. Thanks for all your opinions, I'll probably use the long coupler and if it has issues ill weld some extra piping on!

Mr_ET
02-19-2010, 07:23 AM
You'll be fine, unless you plan on making 500+ WHP lol

mr2mike
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
I'd put a bead on the in/out of the IC for added protection but you should be fine.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachments/custom-fabrication/91689d1233872185-homemade-intercooler-pipe-bead-tool-01-08-09_0848.jpg

Jason Lange
02-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I could just add some length to the pipes for you. Pm me.