PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Vortech SC for a Turbo

CK4500
05-11-2010, 11:30 PM
I am exploring replacing my Vortech Supercharger with a Turbo.

Last year I swapped my B16 block for a B18C1.....basically a "poor man's type r" setup.

The extra deck height from the taller block has caused me many problems. I had a few custom brackets made, and through trial and error, I got it all back together. Obviously something isn't lining up, since I keep shooting belts off. To the naked eye, everything looks right. But every belt I shoot off loses a rib on it's left side.

I am sick of throwing money at it.

Since my new block is bult with SRP Pistons (9.8:1) and Eagle Rods, and I am running a Hondata S300, RC 440 injectors, walbrough fuel pump, etc....everything needed for the 10-12 psi I was getting from my Vortech, it's not a big deal to install a Turbo.

I was happy with the power I was getting from my Vortech, so I'd probably like to stick around 15psi.

I really have no idea where to start. So I am looking for educated suggestions from others.

gpomp
05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
what's your budget?
power goals?
street car or track car?
do you have a/c or not?

those 440's will hold you back, they'll probably max out around 250 whp at stock fuel pressure.

CK4500
05-12-2010, 12:28 AM
these are all good questions.

What's your budget? As cheap as possible, but probably 1000 - 1500
power goals? Well I already had 258 whp when I was running the Vortech at 8 - 10 psi. Maybe 350whp?
street car or track car? Just street with some 1/4 mile track.
do you have a/c or not? Yes, I will not give up my ac!

sr20s14zenki
05-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Probably need atleast 660cc injectors to pull that off without going into rediculous duty. Maybe a revhard cast manifold? do they make one for that particular engine? In that budget, maybe a knockoff garrett? they are really hit and miss but i know a few people that have had good luck with them. Did you have the vortech aftercooled? Keep in mind that you will also need to set up a FMIC or some sort of intercooler for the turbo as well.

CK4500
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes, my Vortech is aftercooled. I had planned on keeping the aftercooler in place, since it's already all plumbed in. (Unless someone wants to buy my complete Vortech setup)

I am probably going to find an AC compatible Ram Horn manifold.

My next step is figuring out what size Turbo...

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Probably need atleast 660cc injectors to pull that off without going into rediculous duty. Maybe a revhard cast manifold? do they make one for that particular engine? In that budget, maybe a knockoff garrett? they are really hit and miss but i know a few people that have had good luck with them. Did you have the vortech aftercooled? Keep in mind that you will also need to set up a FMIC or some sort of intercooler for the turbo as well.

JRSC00LUDE
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Why don't you just finish troubleshooting the problem? Your setup is nice/more unique than another turbo civic. Have you talked to Gerstmar? He was blowing belts every run for awhile and then figured it out where it was out and all's been well as far as I know.

You're not going to street that car for a whole summer till you're 40 at this rate! Oh, wait..... too late.... :poosie:

CK4500
05-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Why don't you just finish troubleshooting the problem? Your setup is nice/more unique than another turbo civic. Have you talked to Gerstmar? He was blowing belts every run for awhile and then figured it out where it was out and all's been well as far as I know.

I am installing the "last" belt tonight. This weekend I will be in Saskatoon with the Honda.....the belt may, or may not make the trip.

Like I said, I am sick of throwing money at this. I would love to fix it though.

JRSC00LUDE
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by CK4500
Like I said, I am sick of throwing money at this. I would love to fix it though.

I like how you think you'll stop throwing money at it if you go turbo, it's cute. :nut:

sr20s14zenki
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
If it's got tits tracks or tires it's trouble. Performance costs haha

streethondas
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm looking to buy a SC for my b16 let me know if u wanna sell it...

CK4500
05-22-2011, 04:22 PM
This has become a Turbo Build Thread.
I don't want turbo lag. So something smaller....

I want to stay away from the ebay shit too.

(btw, Vortech supercharger forsale)

Unknown303
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Compound turbos wouldn't have lag... :bigpimp:

sr20s14zenki
05-22-2011, 06:17 PM
gt2860RS.

case closed.

:D

gpomp
05-22-2011, 07:08 PM
gt2860RS.

case closed.

:D this.

get the one from atp with the .82 t3 housing and you should have power all through the rev range. should be able to hit 300-350 whp with this turbo.

sr20s14zenki
05-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
this.

get the one from atp with the .82 t3 housing and you should have power all through the rev range. should be able to hit 300-350 whp with this turbo.

Most ive gotten from that turbo on an sr20det is 300 whp, and that was on the brink. I believe it was 18 psi and i didnt want to go much higher. Mind you, if the back end breathes a bit better, you MAY get a bit more, but i think the compressor side is really out of its element at that point, almost in its choke zone. Our elevation really doesnt help out with that either, compressor has to work harder.

anyhoo, you could run a 2871 or a 2876 if you want a bit more power. Im doing well with my 2876, some guys say its laggy, but forget that, go for a ride in my 240 and tell me its laggy.

Sentry
05-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Don't get a god damn T28 framed turbo.

I wish I never had, and had gone T3 from the start.

It really restricts your choices, unless you choose to spend $1500 every time you want a different turbo.

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/prenletub.html

Get one of these.

Ball bearing is nice but you really really don't absolutely need it. Plus these are rebuildable, if you fuck a BB turbo you need an entire new CHRA.

dj_honda
05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
I made 330whp on a gt2860 with the .82 atp housing, and i could have made more. this was on a dyno dynamics as well. great turbo, miss it all the time

crapstixs
05-23-2011, 02:18 AM
If it's got tits tracks or tires it's trouble. Performance costs haha this is so truthfull its not even funny.

If your fairly happy with the power of your current set up, why not spend like $100 and get your problem diagnosed instead of spending 1000's going to a turbo. If you want good power and no lag you should stick with the super charger. turbos will make huge power at huge rpm with huge lag.
If you are going to got turbo, I do agree go t3. a bit laggey but good power.

90_Shelby
05-23-2011, 09:07 AM

I am installing the "last" belt tonight. This weekend I will be in Saskatoon with the Honda.....the belt may, or may not make the trip.

If you're sick of throwing money at it, I don't think pulling the supercharger for a turbocharger is the answer.

The only way you can truly get the pulleys properly aligned and stop throwing belts is with this tool: http://www.sears.ca/usa-product/gates-serpentine-laser-belt-alignment-tool/US-41817979

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00915648000_20090813080038449

I've installed a ton of superchargers and I've corrected a large number of systems with belt problems with this tool. It will solve your belt issues.

stevo 27
05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
grab a holset off a 91 intercooled dodge cummins
twin scroll you can get around 500whp out of one at around 25psi so at 15psi that will be right in your goal area

if you can find one in a junkyard (good luck) around 200 bucks

brand new from hoset they can be had for $650

Sentry
05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Holset on a Honda is more of a drag race setup. Sure, you'll make your power, but you'll be waiting for it. Nothing wrong with that, but it's probably not what this guy is looking for.

CK4500
05-31-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't really see how this tool will help me. My pulley's don't any alignement adjustment, they need more tension. I spray a little belt dressing, and I get 12 psi for one launch. After that, I am down to 7-8 psi.

Although I did have alignement issues. Fixing it didn't help get me any more psi.....

Originally posted by 90_Shelby

If you're sick of throwing money at it, I don't think pulling the supercharger for a turbocharger is the answer.

The only way you can truly get the pulleys properly aligned and stop throwing belts is with this tool: http://www.sears.ca/usa-product/gates-serpentine-laser-belt-alignment-tool/US-41817979

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00915648000_20090813080038449

I've installed a ton of superchargers and I've corrected a large number of systems with belt problems with this tool. It will solve your belt issues.

Tik-Tok
05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't really see how this tool will help me. My pulley's don't any alignement adjustment, they need more tension. I spray a little belt dressing, and I get 12 psi for one launch. After that, I am down to 7-8 psi.

Although I did have alignement issues. Fixing it didn't help get me any more psi.....

Adjustable tensioning idler pulley? :dunno:

CK4500
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, I already have one of these. It's the stock one that came with the Vortech. I've tried the smallest belt I could.... where I had to turn the engine over as someone guided the belt over the crank pulley, and then adjusted the tensioner as much as I could. And it still slips like a son of a bitch.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Adjustable tensioning idler pulley? :dunno:

sr20s14zenki
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Have you tryed taking the pulley off and getting that belt dressing shit off with solvent? Belt dressing helps for a bit, but ultimately promotes slip sooner or later. Maybe get that shit off, and try roughing up the pulley, maybe with 2000 grit. Not enough to make a rough surface to the touch, but microscopically rough, to promote grab to the belt.

just an idea. Theres alot of r&d behind these setups, and im sure they wouldnt let something out that they know doesnt work....there has to be something up with it.

stevo 27
06-01-2011, 12:29 AM
just go with a cog belt couple hundred bucks and a few hours of your time and you'll never have issue's again