PDA

View Full Version : Importing an E46 from QC?

stefan15
06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey guys.. has anyone ever done this? I'm a noob when it comes to importing cars out-of-province. I think Calgary BMW can do the inspection for $300 but other than that I have no idea.

While I'm at it.. what do you guys think:
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Car_details/CHARLESBOURG_Quebec_2003_BMW_M3_1621212.html?srcID=5&frnID=7806207&cofid=200448113857706&prv=Quebec&r=30

I believe he has done a bunch of work on it.. not the clutch or cooling system though.

rage2
06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
You can get an OOP done almost anywhere. QC cars are sketchy though.

scat330
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
OOP inspection can be done at crappy tire for way cheaper.

I thought QC was some state and importing from the states is more work.

Provinces is easy, perhaps jaymez thread for importing from the states thread coul help - minus the states part and what to do when it's in the province.

stefan15
06-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
QC cars are sketchy though.
This was the sort of feedback I was looking for. How come?

benyl
06-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Simple formula.

QC car + cheap price = stay far away.

stefan15
06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Simple formula.

QC car + cheap price = stay far away.
Well as for the cheap price.. it isn't that cheap. This seems pretty typical for a 110,000km car. That's not to say I won't take your advice though! Just looking for reasons.

E46s have recently come down in price. I'm thinking they might be cheaper by the winter so I could just wait. Getting tired of my g/f driving me around though. I sold my STi thinking I'd have an E46 the next day. Apparently not so easy to find a decent one. A little TLC is all I ask from my E46 to be.

Neil4Speed
06-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by stefan15

This was the sort of feedback I was looking for. How come?

Anyone driven in Montreal knows the roads are shit, but that is the small part of it.

They use a salt mixture in the winter which just eats into cars. I remember I was looking at buying a 10 year old (at the time) SC400, and the body looked just fine, but when you put it up on a hoist it was just rust galore.

Stay away unless you get picture of the undercarriage on a hoist.

stefan15
06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Right. I'm aware of the salt and apparently this car has NOT been winter driven. But I'll definitely take you up on that.. I'll ask for an undercarriage shot or two.

Eken9
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Anyone driven in Montreal knows the roads are shit, but that is the small part of it.

They use a salt mixture in the winter which just eats into cars. I remember I was looking at buying a 10 year old (at the time) SC400, and the body looked just fine, but when you put it up on a hoist it was just rust galore.

Stay away unless you get picture of the undercarriage on a hoist.

I bought a 7 year old car from QC landed in AB. Car looked completely fine on the outside. As soon as I looked at the under carriage I was :eek: I seriously had no idea a 7 year old car could attain THAT much rust. Not just minor rust, major panel rust.

5G_celica
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
have you looked in vancouver? they have a few for a decent price.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/1802973062.html

or

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/1802363248.html

note: I just did a quick search on craigslist and have nothing to do with these ads, make sure you do your research

Edit: and if you need someone to drive it back for you.. I'll be happy to take an M3 through the mountains. hahahahah

T-Dubbs
06-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Eken9

I bought a 7 year old car from QC landed in AB. Car looked completely fine on the outside. As soon as I looked at the under carriage I was :eek: I seriously had no idea a 7 year old car could attain THAT much rust. Not just minor rust, major panel rust.
thats the typical problem with eastern cars. we used to bring them in at my dealership, but we have stopped, because of the lack of quality that we see from out east.

Weapon_R
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
There is an 03 on beyond for $21k with similar mileage and it's available locally.

Jlude
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by stefan15
Right. I'm aware of the salt and apparently this car has NOT been winter driven. But I'll definitely take you up on that.. I'll ask for an undercarriage shot or two.

It's not just the rust issue. The roads are TERRIBLE, we're talking craters in the roads. Most cars are beat to shit after years of being in Quebec and eastern Canada.