PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond's Fat Ass Challenge (180 days)!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Vagabond142
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, as everyone else does this, I am going to join the logging thing too, and honestly, it's to keep me honest and so that you guys can kick my ass if I seem like I'm faltering or falling off the wagon. One of the things needed to get fit is a positive mental attitude and with anonymous strangers cheering me on or biting my ass when I whine a bit should help :D

I have decided that my official start date for P90X will me Monday, July 12, 2010. I will be doing two rounds of P90X, so 180 days, consecutively. I will also be doing a complete revamp of my diet and introducing a running component to my cardio. For diet, I hace calculated, using the P90X calculator, that I need approx 3200 calories per day, so Level 3 diet, portioning. I have completely rewritten my diet plan, and I am looking forward to shredding off the flab :D

I have visited a doctor and had a physical as of July 2, 2010, and I am 100% cleared, medically, to enter the P90X program.

The reason I am taking a week between now and actually starting is to source equipment needed (10 lbs and 20 lbs dumbells and good stretch straps, as I don't have a pullup bar nor do I have a doorway really suitable for one), as well as get the shock of starting a running component and the dietary change out of the way first.

So... my starting vitals, as of July 2, 2010, at 7:30 am, in skivvies:

Weight: 219.4 lbs (99.5 kg)
Height: 183 cm (6 feet)
Girth (at navel): 106 cm (41.7 inches)
Girth (at hips, measured from the level of the dip between navel and groin): 104 cm (40.9 inches)
BMI (rough estimation based on average of web calculators): 29 (overweight)
Body fat (based on estimation from BMI using the formula: (1.20 x BMI) + (0.23 x Age) - (10.8 x gender) - 5.4, where male gender= 1, female=0, so (34.8)+(6.67)-(10.8)-5.4): 25.27%

I will be video blogging every 2-3 days so that I can keep myself honest and dedicated, as well as writing a log here so people can track my progress, give tips, advice, support, etc.

I'm dedicated. I'm ready to stop being fat. I'm willing to "push till you puke." And then I'll get up, get some water in me, and get right back into working out. I want my flab GONE. Entirely.

180 days of sweat, blood, vomit and dedication starts in exactly 9 days. Woo! Feeling excited :D

EDIT:

As asked below, I didn't post up any goals to hold to. So now I am:

My goals, realistically:

-Be able to participate in next year's Mother's Day 10k marathon (running component of workout) without coming in last... so prolly looking at 70-80 minutes for the run

-Lose my minor second chin (it's small, but it's there)

-Get into the "healthy" BMI range for my height, which is average of 20-24.9 BMI

-Within the half year, cut my flab girth at the navel by at least 10 centimeters and at the hip by 6-8 centimeters, the more the better. I have a pair of size 34 waist cargo pants in my wardrobe i haven't worn in about 6 years. My goal is to get back into those eventually.

-Dream goal: be able to see the definition of my pecs and abs at some point, which will require a LOT of fat loss, but I'm sticking to it!

-Mountaintop goal: Get into the 10% or thereabouts body fat range (athlete level)

UPDATES:

July 4th: Flabby pics (aka BEFORE pics) are up on Page 3 -_-
July 5th: Blog started! http://vagabond180days.blogspot.com/
July 12: Fitness test and official measurements. http://www.mediafire.com/file/goztqfkmkzm/fitness1.xls
Official day 1 pictures on page 10

firecotch
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
i don't want to see your fat gut on video dude.

gqmw
07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Good luck, major props for doing this. P90x is a hard routine to keep up for 90 days...can only imagine the results you'll get in 6 months.

Remember to take before and after pics!

Vagabond142
07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by firecotch
i don't want to see your fat gut on video dude.

Then you don't have to watch.

I'll be wearing a shirt!

All I mean by the video logs is that I will talk about how I'm feeling, how much my ass is getting kicked by the program, sharing some thoughts about my personal fitness, etc.

Disoblige
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Vegabond,

Go stuff your heart out at Stampede before you start haha. It will definitely be worth it. Get it all out of your system! That's what I'm doing :drool:

Vagabond142
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Hey Vegabond,

Go stuff your heart out at Stampede before you start haha. It will definitely be worth it. Get it all out of your system! That's what I'm doing :drool:

hehe as much as I looooooooove me some mini donuts, I have to avoid that line of thought. Positive mental attitude and sticking to my guns = win. Fall off the bandwagon before I even start? yeah, not exactly a positive thing :P

Disoblige
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM
^^ Good job :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
07-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Do you have goal figures to achieve?

black13
07-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Nice, good luck. Maybe I should start with you. I've been on and off my program for the past couple months. Coming home from long work hours exhausted hasn't helped me much.

Vagabond142
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Do you have goal figures to achieve?

My goals, realistically:

-Be able to participate in next year's Mother's Day 10k marathon (running component of workout) without coming in last... so prolly looking at 70-80 minutes for the run

-Lose my minor second chin (it's small, but it's there)

-Get into the "healthy" BMI range for my height, which is average of 20-24.9 BMI

-Within the half year, cut my flab girth at the navel by at least 10 centimeters and at the hip by 6-8 centimeters, the more the better. I have a pair of size 34 waist cargo pants in my wardrobe i haven't worn in about 6 years. My goal is to get back into those eventually.

-Dream goal: be able to see the definition of my pecs and abs at some point, which will require a LOT of fat loss, but I'm sticking to it!

-Mountaintop goal: Get into the 10% or thereabouts body fat range (athlete level)

Vagabond142
07-02-2010, 11:49 PM
OH MY GOD HE'S REALLY DOING IT!!!!! ZOMG!!!

j86OEfugZlk

AE92_TreunoSC
07-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I have a geek buddy that's doing p90x, he's freaking anal about it, you really need to be to get the benefits of it. It's just fucking annoying when he needs to make time for the yoga, or he cant have any beer :nut:

Vagabond142
07-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Well, I have the benefit of not drinking, not smoking, and having never touched illicit drugs. And I don't plan on STARTING any of the three either, so no real biggie about beers :P

Yeah... I think the most anal bit is getting used to a new diet plan. It's going to require some juggling of meals and what portions are eaten when, but I will still track sodium (I'm trying to be as low sodium as possible), fiber, fats, etc.

On the subject of foodage... what's a good recovery drink mix for after workouts? I'm going to be using all the money I have from selling off some of my tech stuff, so I'm budgeting $200 for dumbells, resistance bands, mat, and recovery mix (I'm expecting $30-$50 for the mix for a 30-60 day supply)

Redlined_8000
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
How is this P90X diet? do they lay out calories based on your size?

For a Post WO drink... Pretty much any Whey powder and some gatorade will do you fine.

gqmw
07-03-2010, 12:50 AM
What kind of dumbbells are you getting?

Vagabond142
07-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
How is this P90X diet? do they lay out calories based on your size?

For a Post WO drink... Pretty much any Whey powder and some gatorade will do you fine.

From the book, they first ask what your goal is: fat loss, energy boost, or endurance. I'm going for fat loss, so they suggest P/C/F of 50/30/20 %

Then they ask what approach you want: self controlled portioning for easy to make/combine meals, meal planning for full meals, or quick option for pre-prepared meals

So far I'm fat loss, portion approach.

Then they get your resting metabilic rate (weight in lbs x 10, so 219 x10) = 2190 calories

Then take that number and multiply by 20% for "living life" burn, so walking, lifting glasses of water to mouth, etc. So 2190 x .20 = 438 calories

They suggest 600 calories will be burnt during the average daily P90X workout without any other supplemental exercise, as well as adding the two previous caloric amounts, so 600 + 2190 + 438 = 3228 calories needed for P90X

This puts me into the nutrition level 3 for the P90X plan, which outlines, for portions per day (avg serving is 100-120 calories per portion):

9 protein servings
4 dairy
2 fruits
4 veggies
1 fats (a tablespoon of canola oil, for example)
1 carbs
2 double serving snacks
1 protein bar or equiv
1 recovery drink
Optional of 2 extra items on heavy workout days

So that's the biggest adjustment. The book has about 5 pages of foods and serving sizes, so it's really helpful. It's going to bring up my monthly grocery bill a bit, but I think I can combine a few items to make it a little more manageable.

Vagabond142
07-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by gqmw
What kind of dumbbells are you getting?

I really don't know. I'll be asking the guys at the sporting goods stores, but I'm expecting solid metal ones.

Clever
07-03-2010, 01:18 AM
First off, that's some commitment right there, going to need that to do p90x.

Also, I would recommend getting a few sets of dumbbells, after the first phase you will want to increase the weight, 10 and 20's will not be good enough after the first phase if you stick to the program. If you can go for the pull up bar, and find a way to mount it, my wife was on bands the first 2 weeks and didn't like it, she made a switch to the bars as well. But if you can only use bands I heard the ones from beach body work the best(I actually read that on here, not affiliated with beach body). As for yoga, I hate it, but it really does help, find some yoga blocks or make some, that will help, A TON.

I try to follow the nutrition guide best I can, but if you are having issues with it like it did, lots of alternatives that can be found online, particularly in the P90x forums.

I'm no expert by any means but if you have some questions feel free to PM or post in the P90x thread, good luck.

torob
07-03-2010, 02:00 AM
If you got a camera... do this...

Set a camera in a spot.. and everyday stand in a specific spot and take a pic of your whole body

Then at the end of the 180days... you can put all the pics together in a video and speed it up and see your weight loss / muscle gain

It would be cool as fuck
Just make sure camera sits in the specific spot for all the pictures and so do you

Make the pose so you can actually see the changes

Good luck

Vagabond142
07-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Clever
...after the first phase if you stick to the program.

IF???

:whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

I am gonna get this shit DONE. I am at my ropes end for being overweight and flabby. I am nearly 30, and I want to get it off NOW while I still have a chance of enjoying it and my body is in the prime so it can handle the change.

And torob: daily pictures will be part of my logging. That way I have no excuse.

torob
07-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Yeah thats great,
something like this
Vc_PU3D3QNE

But whole body

Clever
07-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

IF???

:whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

I am gonna get this shit DONE. I am at my ropes end for being overweight and flabby. I am nearly 30, and I want to get it off NOW while I still have a chance of enjoying it and my body is in the prime so it can handle the change.

And torob: daily pictures will be part of my logging. That way I have no excuse.

That's the spirit!:rofl: :rofl:

Just keep at it, this is my "third" time doing it, I have never gotten past week 9 myself, first go at it, got all the way to week 6 but my wife and I were not following the nutrition plan at all (still noticed a decent change with out overall physique and fitness) but we figured might as well go hard, so we decided to restart and do the nutrition plan well to the best we can, we are eating cleaner and healthier now, then about a month ago I injured my foot pretty bad, going into week 9, I let the foot heal up and just started again with week one on Monday.

Also, WHEN :thumbsup: you follow the program to the tee, after you complete it, I don't think you will need to do P90x again right away, lots of people recommend doing something else, I know the most common one is Insanity, but that is completely up to you. I say go for the Doubles:nut:

5hift
07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
You seem to be really making a commitment but I think the key is actually sticking to it and following through daily for more than a few weeks.

With just a daily walk and a healthy diet, after 3 months you would notice huge differences without even doing p90x.

You seem like a nice guy, but this is like the 3rd thread I have seen you start in the past few years about how you are overhauling your diet, starting to exercise and going to get in shape. I think where you are failing every time is that instead of just flipping a switch and trying to completely change your life, you should try to slowly move to a healthier lifestyle.

Ie you are going from sitting in front a computer playing video games all day probably not eating too healthy, to a program like p90x and a very strict diet. I think you would be better off going to the gym 3 times a week and just trying to eat a clean protein rich diet and see how you can manage that for a bit.

FiveFreshFish
07-03-2010, 10:48 AM
OH MY GOD HE'S REALLY DOING IT!!!!! ZOMG!!!

:thumbsup: Keep linking your future videos to this thread.

eglove
07-03-2010, 11:19 AM
now, i always thought tomcopdr was white, and vagabond142 was asian, now it turns out BOTH were opposites?

world is FUCKED i tell you.

Vagabond142
07-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Ie you are going from sitting in front a computer playing video games all day probably not eating too healthy, to a program like p90x and a very strict diet. I think you would be better off going to the gym 3 times a week and just trying to eat a clean protein rich diet and see how you can manage that for a bit.

Actually, I'm a very very active person, I do a lot of biking (and I mean almost every day I'm out there for an hour if not something like 4 hours XD). In the past year, I've lost 40 lbs (260-220, roughly) just from cardio, and have dropped from a size 44 waist to size 40 waist on my pants. But I've been 215-220 for three months now of biking. My diet has been good, it's actually been LESS calories than what P90X recommends (I've been hovering at the 2200 cal range), so that's going to be the big switch is increasing my intake... but I'll also be increasing my exercise load.

But yeah, I'll admit that in the past, during school terms and such, I have fallen off the wagon and picked up some bad eating habits (I do love my pasta in quantity -_-), but I've steered well clear of junk foods, sodas, and heavily sugared teas for almost a year now.

Hell, if you want to know something weird, ever since I got hardcore into biking last year, I can't get close to a potato chip. As in, my stomach actually turns a little if I smell one. My body is just saying "NO! Keep thee away!"

My common gaming snacks are usually veggies like brocolli or carrots, or a marmite sammich, or a bowl of granola with some fruit sliced into it. Gone are the days of candies and chips, of sodas and energy drinks. It's water, 1% milk, and healthy, and it has been for a year or more now.

As to gaming. I realize that I am a big time gamer. I may be Beyond's geekiest gamer, and I may be it's most dedicated gamer. Which is why what I say here means much: I am very likely giving up heavy gaming until the holiday season, and likely forever after that. I'll keep one or two games to play, just to chat with friends or release some steam, but I'm moving from 30-40+ hours a week gaming to something around 12-15 hours per week, and filling those lost hours with running, working out, and other activities like research and writing (I want to get my novels published!)

yellowsnow
07-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Pfft, don't worry about what other people think you "can't" do. Just focus on each day and press the play button ;) It's hard getting through some of the programs (eg plyometrics... ugh), but if you can't keep up for the first few weeks, don't worry 'bout it and just keep going at the best pace you can.

Good luck dude!

mago0
07-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Good luck with the program vagabond. I have the P90x sitting in my room waiting to be opened. I keep telling myself I will read the literature soon, but it's been like 3 weeks now. Good for you for making this change and I look forward to your blogs.

How are you going to handle working out and playing TERA when it comes out?

max_boost
07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.

bigbadboss101
07-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Good job. It helps to have a friend encouraging you. If you have a bud or two who has similar goals you can have work together. Keep us posted. For those of you who said you have P90X but haven't got into it or be able to go one round, keep trying! We all have our struggles or lazy times but hey it would be great if every one try their best and we all get the results we wanted :-)

Hakkola
07-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey bro, come get a membership at Calgary HEalth Express, we'll have a competition to see who reaches 200 first. :D

Cool to see what you're trying to do man.

Modelexis
07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Good luck brother!

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by mago0

How are you going to handle working out and playing TERA when it comes out?

Honestly? I plan on working out every day for an hour from now on. With a morning run/bike before work (if I ever land a job -_-) and working out about 7 pm, that leaves 8:30-11ish for gaming goodness :D

But honestly? If my working out and losing the flab demands it.... I'll give up gaming altogether, at least until I reach my goals, and then I'll SENSIBLY balance out health and working out vs gaming vs other activities. Who knows? May with all the confidence I know I am already starting to build up in my gut, I may even be dating by the time Tera comes out. Here's hoping!

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
Pfft, don't worry about what other people think you "can't" do. Just focus on each day and press the play button ;) It's hard getting through some of the programs (eg plyometrics... ugh), but if you can't keep up for the first few weeks, don't worry 'bout it and just keep going at the best pace you can.

Good luck dude!

I am going to push to failure, as they recommend in the guidebook. Not to injury, but until my muscles say "no more." I also, if I feel overly winded or ill, plan on using the pause button. But even if I hurk my lunch, I'll just take a small 5 minute break, drink water, and finish my workout.

It's time to stop giving up when I feel I can't do it. It's always been a confidence issue with me. I'm horribly shy talking to very attractive females :banghead: and I'm nervous a lot about big things like job interviews with career level companies. I don't want to be nervous, I don't want to be shy. I have sat down and really examined it and, while I know I am not going to become the next Arnold Schwartzenmuscles, I do know that having a positive, healthy body helps tremendously with having more confidence and a better mental attitude. It's even been shown in some studies (i read this in MacLeans while depositing at the porcelain bank one day) that people that work out regularly and are in good health are like 30% more energetic and happier than those that are couch potatoes. I want to be energetic and happy, and I want to date again, so fucking goddammit, I am gonna do this shit and do it right and do it HARD. In gamer speak: For The Win!

btw, all this RAH RAH CHESTHUMPCHESTTHUMP is all part of me getting psyched up for the commitment. 180 days is a long, torturous haul, but I'm ready for it and I'm gonna kick its ass :D

GenerationX
07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by eglove
now, i always thought tomcopdr was white, and vagabond142 was asian, now it turns out BOTH were opposites?

world is FUCKED i tell you. '
QFT LOL.

QR25DE-SER
07-04-2010, 06:35 AM
I don't see why you could give up gaming my friend's parents bought a Wii & they use the Wii Fit. You could still game just use the wii fit?

It's just an idea :)

Can't wait to see your daily videos of from day 1 to a health weight :)

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
First major kink hit:

HOLY FUCKBALLS are dumbells expensive O_O

I need to find some of those workout straps in the 20-40 lbs resistance range, because I can't afford $50 per weight o_O I also have no room for a chinup bar at all in my place, so that's a bugger too.

So, if anyone has any spare straps they want to sell/lend, I would be mucho apprecioso.

Isaiah
07-04-2010, 08:53 AM

I'm moving from 30-40+ hours a week gaming to something around 12-15 hours per week
Jesus. I can't imagine playing video games for 30-40 hours/week. May I ask what you do for a living? No specifics, just what field you're in.

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Right now I'm a professional chair warmer... aka unemployed (and not for a lack of trying to get work).

One of the driving factors to this fitness revolution is that it dawned on my one day:

"If I can't be working, I can be working out"

Hence why I'm starting running in addition to my biking, and then adding P90X on top of that.

Unknown303
07-04-2010, 09:18 AM
First major kink hit:

I need to find some of those workout straps in the 20-40 lbs resistance range, because I can't afford $50 per weight o_O I also have no room for a chinup bar at all in my place, so that's a bugger too.

So, if anyone has any spare straps they want to sell/lend, I would be mucho apprecioso.

Sport chek was the cheapest place I found for weights. Some other places were almost twice the price. For straps check out Superstore. My fiance picked some up from there and I was testing them out the other day and they seem to work well with a decent amount of resistance.

gqmw
07-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Consider powerblocks?

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 11:34 AM
my total budget for EVERYTHING to start with is $200, at the outside.

Hopefully the straps will do the job if I can get some good ones. I wish they had the B-LINES beachbody set locally, instead of having to wait 3 weeks if ya order it off the net :\

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Oh, and to see the horror of what I look like now... and here's one of those :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: embarassing posts....

(and yes, I'm aware my glasses are kinda crooked, one of my ears is lower than the other by like a cm, added to the angle of the shots)

Front relaxed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0784.jpg

Front flexed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0782.jpg

Side relaxed (ugh, look at that gut :cry: )
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0780.jpg

Back flexed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0783.jpg

-_- yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is what I hope to NEVER look like again. Ever. It's time for it to go. And once I actually get into shape (or even ripped, I've seen people do 2-3 cycles of P90X on blogs, youtube, etc and go from flabbier than me to super ripped), I will most likely shave the hair off (if working out doesn't take it off by itself).

Having lots of fur does count majorly in one area: it means my body has lots of testosterone, so when I actually get to working out, it should mean that if I ever wanted to bulk (use heavier weights or more resistance in cycle 2, maybe?), it should work well :)

Anyways, I will now accept all comments of horror, being blinded for life, being called a "Fatty," etc. It's the last time I'll let anyone have those free shots. From here on out.... time to get fucking FIT RAAAAAAAHHH!! :D :D :D :burnout: :burnout:

(and yes, Macross Plus is the best anime ever <.< :P)

Unknown303
07-04-2010, 11:43 AM
:drool:

But seriously good on you for being so determined.

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Actually, I got pm'd a pretty good idea... as an added motivator, it was suggested that I should turn my 10 km marathon goal into a Beyond.ca pledge drive, and maybe even make a Beyond.ca team with 5 other runners. Just adds another level of "you HAVE to do this, no fucking excuses," to the already high personal drive.

Thoughts?

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.fitsystems.com/fitness.php?n=76

13th item down..... 20 lbs resistance band for $13 seems like a good deal? I'm not the strongest armed person, endurance wise. I can do shock lifts and such, and big weight once or twice, but actual STRENGTH in teh arms (which I want) is lacking :\

Oz-
07-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Have you considered Blast Straps?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=295&m=PD&pid=916

They allow you to change the resistance to suit your needs and also have the ability to do a ton of movements.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=103&__N=Blast%20Strap%20Exercises

The ones that I linked are premade, but you can make your own by going to home depot and getting the necessary hardware. The key is the D handles and getting a pair that you like.

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, the resistance bands need to actually stretch, as they are replacing dumbells and a chinup bar, and they also need to be affordable in case I snap a strap. So to me.... 20 lbs for $13 seems good :D I just was wondering what others thought. Hell... for $13 I can buy two and have one set up as the chinup replacement and use the other for the freeform moves.

I'm also definitely picking up pushup bars, apparently Canadian Tire/Walmart/Costco/etc have super cheap ones ($10 or less) that are rated 250 lbs support.... I weigh (this morning) 219.8 lbs, so I'm within the range.

I'll be doing all of P90X barefoot (suggested by people on the P90X forums), and I'll be picking up decently good cross trainers for my running/jogging, and will pick up dedicated runners closer to the marathon early bird registration start date.

Clever
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I know walmart and canadian tire has some cheap dumbbells,
usually $1/lbs, and you got PM.

natejj
07-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Powerblocks dude. $350, it's worth it.

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Powerblocks dude. $350, it's worth it.

$150 over budget

bigbadboss101
07-04-2010, 01:25 PM
My roommates does his workouts with video game playing between sets. 5x a week, whatever works for him.

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
My roommates does his workouts with video game playing between sets. 5x a week, whatever works for him.

That's not the point. My "video game addiction" has sustained my poor exercise lifestyle. I need to replace the trigger of my happy brain chemicals from pixels to working out :D

bigbadboss101
07-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Check out www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com.
They do all sorts of activities everyday. Next week I have ball hockey 2 nights, ultimate 1, soccer 1, and Ninjutsu 1. They do hikes, bikes, canoeing, tennis, slo pitch, etc etc. They will help you burn off some calories.

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Check out www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com.
They do all sorts of activities everyday. Next week I have ball hockey 2 nights, ultimate 1, soccer 1, and Ninjutsu 1. They do hikes, bikes, canoeing, tennis, slo pitch, etc etc. They will help you burn off some calories.

Might be a good thing to look into if I want to change up my bike day cardio with something a little higher impact. As it stands, I have light biking monday, 3-5 km run/jog/walk/crawl-gasping-for-air on tuesday, biking hill sprints (14th and Northmount up to the Nose Hill parking lot and back down again x 3) on Wednesday, 5-7km run/jog/walk/crawl-gasping-for-air on Thursday, light biking friday, toss up day on Saturday (biking OR running, depending on how I feel), and Sunday is off for cardio. Also, every day will have a P90X workout and I will probably do the X-Stretch or Yoga-X on Sundays.

My overall goal is to burn ~1000 calories a day on a 3000 calorie intake, and to balance to PCF of 50/30/20 as recommended by P90X. In effect, I'll be doing the doubles system, only with my own cardio program vs Cardio-X.

FiveFreshFish
07-04-2010, 02:30 PM
First major kink hit:

Have you looked at the chin-up bars that attach to a door frame?

http://workoutyou.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/iron-gym-pull-up-bar-.jpg

lint
07-04-2010, 05:46 PM
My overall goal is to burn ~1000 calories a day on a 3000 calorie intake, and to balance to PCF of 50/30/20 as recommended by P90X. In effect, I'll be doing the doubles system, only with my own cardio program vs Cardio-X.

FYI, it's easier to just eat 1000 less calories/day than to burn 1000 calories/day

Vagabond142
07-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by lint

FYI, it's easier to just eat 1000 less calories/day than to burn 1000 calories/day

(points at P90X nutrition guide) just doing what it says to do :dunno:

Clever
07-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Trust me, you're going to eat , when you're doing P90x. The nutrition guide was made to compliment the program.

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Did the ab ripper x just for fun as a warm up today... ow. Just... ow. My core is pretty strong, but still... ow.

I'm telling my brain, however, that it's a good pain. It's not like a "oh god I've been stabbed" pain, it's more of a "you just worked your ass off, good job" pain. I love this pain. I haven't felt it since my taekwondo days when i would compete. Good to feel it again.

As a test program, I can already feel my abs slightly stronger, and I wasn't recording or timing or anything today.

I've also set up an excel spreadsheet to track weight, chest, stomach and hip measurements. As I'm not going for mass building in the first (or maybe even second) round, I am not going to be tracking leg girth, bicep girth, etc.

I will make that spreadsheet linkable in the first post on page 1, and will upload it daily. I'm thinking I might also take pictures and post them weekly of my count sheets, so I can show improvements in exercises :D

I'm starting to feel that small bit of nervous excitement in the pit of my stomach now that I've decided to do something and follow through with it, no matter the cost. (Of course, I'm not talking about working through injury. If I feel I'm getting close to injury or that something doesn't feel right, naturally I will stop and examine the situation)

JordanEG6
07-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Did the ab ripper x just for fun as a warm up today... ow. Just... ow. My core is pretty strong, but still... ow.

Read the thread, good for you, man! :thumbsup: Take advantage, I've recently sprained a knee and am rendered useless and helpless, it sucks that I can't be at the gym for awhile.

Ab ribber is amazing, but it hurts the first couple times, I've done it a good number of times and still can't finish 50 russian twists. :banghead:

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Started a blog!

http://vagabond180days.blogspot.com/

So now I have Beyond, Blogspot, Youtube and Facebook all to update, every day. I'm commited. I'm determined. I will succeed. And I hope to make every one of you cheering me on proud when I post my 90 and 180 day after pics, as well as when I cross the finish line next May without coming last or dying during the run :D

SilverGS
07-05-2010, 08:47 AM
So what happens when Cataclysm comes out? :)

Good on ya! Nothing stopping gamers from still having a healthy lifestyle. Cheers

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
So what happens when Cataclysm comes out? :)

Good on ya! Nothing stopping gamers from still having a healthy lifestyle. Cheers

When Cataclysm comes out, Blizzard makes a lot of money. But I'm not the all-niter firebug I was in my earlier gamer days. These days I actually appreciate such things as... sleep. And health. So if it comes down to working out and getting in shape or going to a raid... working out will come first, because when I unlock the "Fit Body [10 points]" achievement, at least that sticks with me as long as I maintain it :D

As to the gamer lifestyle, I haven't had a soda or an energy drink in almost a year now, and haven't had a potato chip in about a year and a half... every since the first race of the 2009 Formula 1 season. And honestly... games are at a point now where there is a bit of stagnation... all the big exciting ones are coming holiday or Q1-2 2011, so that gives me time NOW to get fit NOW so I can be happy NOW. :D

cdnsir
07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
About your equipment, you can for sure use bands instead of weights. But I strongly recommend a chin-up bar tho. For 2 days a week, you'll be doing like 10 variations of pull ups in p90. Although the video will show you how to do them with the bands, it's simply not the same as free-form chin-ups off the bar. I can't really explain it, but it just feels a lot harder when you're hanging off a bar. Those door frame ones are like $40. I say buy that instead of the push up stands. I do all the push-ups off my knuckles and it locks my wrists just fine.

Keep motivated, we look forward in seeing your progress!

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
About your equipment, you can for sure use bands instead of weights. But I strongly recommend a chin-up bar tho. For 2 days a week, you'll be doing like 10 variations of pull ups in p90. Although the video will show you how to do them with the bands, it's simply not the same as free-form chin-ups off the bar. I can't really explain it, but it just feels a lot harder when you're hanging off a bar. Those door frame ones are like $40. I say buy that instead of the push up stands. I do all the push-ups off my knuckles and it locks my wrists just fine.

Keep motivated, we look forward in seeing your progress!

Well, Crappy Tire has pushup stands for like $10, and it does allow for about 6 inches more of dip at the bottom, which I will probably be aiming for in phase 3 (day 60-90)

Well, the whole deal with a chinup bar is, once again, I don't have a suitable doorway ANYWHERE IN THE HOUSE to put it. Seriously. And they say you need a widegrip bar for P90X.

All the doors either don't have a door flashing, so nothing to hang the top back of hte bar from, or abut right against a wall, so the handle would puncture the drywall to make it fit.

I may just have to build my own chinup stand, my brother is fairly handy with the mig welder :D

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
New video:

JQ4UPibtcb8

Also a new blog post, link is in my sig.

Went out there today and just pounded the cardio out, half my ride at max or near max effort (3rd gear front cog, 7th gear wheel cog = ow my legs), versus my usual middle cardio level all the way ride. I also did the max effort in intervals, so nice ride for 5 minutes, then shift gears and go hard for 2-3 minutes flat out. When I got home, I literally put my bike into its spot in the garage and fell over. My legs were GONE. Took me a minute or two to get up, got to the fridge, and got my recovery stuff into me.

My buddy was kind enough to give me what was left of his iso-whey protein powder (mmm french vanilla) and I had that mixed into a cup of 1% milk and munched a slice of low fat cheese (covered all my dairy bases for today!), and 15 minutes after I had munched/slurped, my muscles just sorta stopped hurting and went "YAY PROTEIN!"

So, I have learned my lesson about recovery: Do it. Don't mind the cost, get the protein in, keep the carbs low.

I'm actually feeling pretty bitchin right now, had a good hot shower, quick shave, 45 minutes after getting home bam-pow feel awesome.

This was also the hardest I've ridden in almost 2 months of riding this year, including my weekly hill sprints. My heart was just thundering along, but the cool weather and light spray of rain actually kept me pretty cool and made for some really efficient heat transfer off my head and back.

RAAAAH I feel awesome pushing hard like that, can't wait to push hard every day on P90X.... but I know I gotta finish my conditioning week! :thumbsup:

Oh, weight update:

Original weight (July 4, 2010): 219.7 lbs
Weight today after recovery/shower: 217.9 lbs

Jeremiah
07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
You're probably going to weigh less tomorrow morning as you have eaten/drank already.

I always feel better about myself when I check my weight after I shit and before I eat :thumbsup:

Good work!

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
You're probably going to weigh less tomorrow morning as you have eaten/drank already.

I always feel better about myself when I check my weight after I shit and before I eat :thumbsup:

Good work!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And to think, this is just the conditioning week :nut:

I'm actually kinda energetically nervous... ya know, when you wanna jump right into something but realize it's still a bit off... like that last week before you go on a vacation, when work just seems to drag on forevvveeeeerrr :P

I want monday to be here, fuckdammit! I wanna start getting into REAL shape! :whipped: :whipped:

lint
07-05-2010, 04:49 PM
can't beat free http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Free-Total-Gym-1000-W0QQAdIdZ215450216

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by lint
can't beat free http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Free-Total-Gym-1000-W0QQAdIdZ215450216

probably went with the first email that was sent to him XD

I'll find something that works... if anything, I'll just have to build my own, as I said, with help from my bro and dad :D

wintonyk
07-05-2010, 06:58 PM

probably went with the first email that was sent to him XD

I'll find something that works... if anything, I'll just have to build my own, as I said, with help from my bro and dad :D

Its summer, do your pull ups on a playground.

Once again mad props. I will be here watching the whole way through.

I am down for joining a beyond 10k race as well. I did my first 8k race a few months ago and finished 57/388, the competitive spirit will come out.

Vagabond142
07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

Its summer, do your pull ups on a playground.

Weeeelllll, there's the slight problem that intensity is part of the P90X program... I can't exactly do the chest and arms pushup bits, pause it, run to the elementary school, do pull ups, run back, press play, do the pushups second round, etc... it has to be local and it has to be rapid fire (yes, i'm pre watching the workout vids this week in the order that I'll be doing them next week).

Darkane
07-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Excellent. I'll be following this.

Follow the diet advice they give, if you feel you're stalling replace some carb calories with fat calories, or just drop some carbs out completely.

Oh and don't weigh yourself to much. Seriously.

I'd even suggest once a week - Sunday morning post bathroom - rather than everyday. Everyday will mindfuck you.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Good advice :D I just weighed today for shits n giggles because I was absolutely pouring out sweat. I think I may have to add "terry cloth sweat band" to my list of items to buy XD otherwise my eyebrows may be deluged by like exercise three of the first day of P90X.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey supplement people!

While I won't be using dietary supplements, i have decided, and caved in on the fact that I need it, to use a post workout recovery drink of 1% milk mixed with protein powder....

My question is.... which whey to go? (see wut I did thar?)

In all seriousness, right now I'm using the last few scoops of this stuff: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2986027&cp=3593187.2108294
that my old roomie gave me when I told him I was starting conditioning this week for P90X. It actually tastes pretty nummy, but I'm wondering if it's what a fat dude needs, or if I should go for one of the more complex protein powders, as they also have vitamins and amino acids and all that good shit mixed in.

My goals with this is fast-acting recovery after an intense workout, so I can get it into me and into my muscles in the "golden hour." I'm also not wanting to add any more flab, I'm in pure flab loss and muscle strengthening (not bulking, but toning) for at least the first 90 day cycle.

So, any of you smart supplement/protein people.... please drop me some tips and suggestions :D

Darkane
07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey supplement people!

While I won't be using dietary supplements, i have decided, and caved in on the fact that I need it, to use a post workout recovery drink of 1% milk mixed with protein powder....

My question is.... which whey to go? (see wut I did thar?)

In all seriousness, right now I'm using the last few scoops of this stuff: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2986027&amp;cp=3593187.2108294
that my old roomie gave me when I told him I was starting conditioning this week for P90X. It actually tastes pretty nummy, but I'm wondering if it's what a fat dude needs, or if I should go for one of the more complex protein powders, as they also have vitamins and amino acids and all that good shit mixed in.

My goals with this is fast-acting recovery after an intense workout, so I can get it into me and into my muscles in the &quot;golden hour.&quot; I'm also not wanting to add any more flab, I'm in pure flab loss and muscle strengthening (not bulking, but toning) for at least the first 90 day cycle.

So, any of you smart supplement/protein people.... please drop me some tips and suggestions :D

Something easy and cost effective for you?

Go to Superstore and buy their Vanilla flavoured whey isolate. Then for the carb portion buy Gatorade orange flavoured powder.

Mix them both. Try 1 scoop or protein and 50g of gatorade (whatever that works too).

This is essentially 90% of the post workout drinks on the market. Whey Isolate with Dextrose. Buy using the orange gatorade with vanilla whey you get a nice 'creme-sickle' flavour.

I'd suggest some form of multi vitamin too. If you have the spare funds (it's about 35/mth) AOR essential mix unsweetened is fantastic.

Local Calgary company, the multi vitamin is in powdered form and has a nice black berry flavour. Lots of good stuff in it not your run of the mills Centrum bullshit.

You'll benefit from additional Zinc and Vit D3. Both are cheap like 10-15/bottle. Last 2-3 months.

EDIT: You can get Essential mix at Community Natural Foods by Chinook. Awesome store that.

max_boost
07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Cut the bullshit.

www.stronglifts.com

:D

Darkane
07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Cut the bullshit.

www.stronglifts.com

:D

That comes later ;)

I agree with P90X, it's fantastic for beginners due to the fact is layed out so well.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Go to Superstore and buy their Vanilla flavoured whey isolate. Then for the carb portion buy Gatorade orange flavoured powder.

I thought I wanted to reduce overall carbs? o_O

max_boost
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not hating when I say this.

BUT

I KNOW a lot of people who have tried P90X. None have finished. :rofl:

So sorry Vagabond, my bets on you failing but use that as motivation and make me eat my words. :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, how do you like your words? Sauteed? With a little minced garlic? :P

Or how about word side salad? I can even make a humble-flavored vinaigrette as dressing for you ^_^

I am going to complete 90 days. And then I'm going to complete another 90 days. And then I'm going to do 16 weeks intense training to run in a marathon.

There are only three things that will stop me:

1) death
2) medical intervention (if my dr says stop, I stop)
3) injury (which I will do my best to prevent)

There is no question on me successfully completing both 90 day stints. I am going to do this, even if it feels like I am going to die on day 89. I know that by about day 5 I will feel like a slightly horny elephant had a tap dance routine on my entire body, but that's part of getting fit. No pain, no gain, baby! (but good pain, not injury pain)

EDIT: Max, you made it into my blog ^_^ Just extra motivation every time I review it :D

max_boost
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
LOL

Good luck Vagabond!

:devil:

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 12:10 PM
LOL

Good luck Vagabond!

Keep chiding me if you wish. It only motivates me.

Not to sound cocky at all in the past few posts, but I've changed my mental attitude the most about working out. I used to be "oh, this is getting tough, blargh, time for rest." But I'm gonna go all the way, full time, every day, every video, every program. Mental fortitude = success. I'm determined. I have achievable goals, not insanely stupid goals. All I need is the drive to do it. And I have that. It's going to be a BRUTAL first week. Utterly soul shattering, ego crushing, spirit rendering, pain inducing first week. I expect to want to press pause more than once, and every time I do, I'm going to grit my teeth and push on. I'm going to puke. I'm going to sweat. I may even bleed. But enough is enough. I've spent a decade now overweight, and that's a decade I'll never get back. Time to make the next 5 or so decades worth it. I'm not doing this just to get fit NOW. I'm doing this to get fit for the rest of my life. I'm going to make working out a daily thing.

So bring your chides, bring your bets of failure, bring your pokes and prods at my determination.

It only fuels my will.

Darkane
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
^^ good Form 'ol chap.

As for lowering carbs overall, yes do that. Just realize that carbs around the workout are better for you then other times.

Make your last meal or two before bed JUST protein and fat.

5 eggs, Cottage cheese, Ground beef, something like that prebed is the way to go. Obviously not all of those at once.

Speaking of I gotta go make 30g of Oats for my pre-workout meal.

Back later. :devil:

GenerationX
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Started P90x also yesterday again.
Day 1 burns so good... and now to plyometrics.
Back later too ;)

wintonyk
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Weeeelllll, there's the slight problem that intensity is part of the P90X program... I can't exactly do the chest and arms pushup bits, pause it, run to the elementary school, do pull ups, run back, press play, do the pushups second round, etc... it has to be local and it has to be rapid fire (yes, i'm pre watching the workout vids this week in the order that I'll be doing them next week).

:facepalm: i forgot about the whole dvd part.

Ya the intensity is what will make or break ya.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

:facepalm: i forgot about the whole dvd part.

Ya the intensity is what will make or break ya.

Well, if it breaks me, then I get up the next day, stretch it out, and keep on keeping on :D

I think people don't realize just how determined I am to win. I've given up on so many things in the past decade. I've given up health, flexibility, confidence... hell, I was embarassed to even be in public sometimes... when I weighed 270 especially so.

I'm going to get back my confidence, I'm going to get back my health.

I also realized that I am way too shy for my own good, which is why I'm posting youtube vids. If I can break my shyness barrier by actually BREAKING it, I may one day be confident, healthy, and look good enough that I can ask a lady out on a date :D Or meet them in public and talk to them there because I'll not be ashamed of my body anymore.

Ah... to be dating again :D (yes, that is one of my unannounced goals :P)

max_boost
07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
So what day of P90X are you on right now?

It's a lot of talk.

Again, take all this as motivation OK bud.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
So what day of P90X are you on right now?

It's a lot of talk.

Again, take all this as motivation OK bud.

I'm T-minus 5 days till P90X, but I am doing a conditioning week. Cardio in the mornings, pushups, situps, stretches in the afternoons. For the stretches and strength, not much, and not hard, but enough that I won't pull anything once I actually launch into the program :D

I should also report that my body is loving the dietary change so far, and I always scoffed at people that used protein powders thinking "blah, you can do that with natural foods anyways," but I'm a convert. Shit works. Really does.

msommers
07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
A buddy of mine and his girlfriend just finished their second round of P90x. They said they followed the program quite well. He didn't change a whole lot but his girlfriend sure did!

max_boost
07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by msommers
A buddy of mine and his girlfriend just finished their second round of P90x. They said they followed the program quite well. He didn't change a whole lot but his girlfriend sure did! Nice. Pics of gf? hahaha

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, I know that with the cardio I'm gonna be doing ON TOP of P90X, I'll be running a caloric deficit anyways. So I do hope to see a fairly drastic change... from flabberwocky to flatty, I hope :D

SmAcKpOo
07-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Good luck Vagabond. I was doing P90X before I hurt my foot and had it operated on. You Definitely will see gains.

I was never a big guy before I started so I never followed the diet plan, I just loaded the healthy carbs, stayed away from sugar and salt and ate TONS of protein.

I highly suggest Muscle Milk for meal replacements as I could never stuff that much food in to my stomach. I also suggest an NO supplement for added energy during work outs.

Motivation is the hardest part, good luck

Redlined_8000
07-06-2010, 03:55 PM

I should also report that my body is loving the dietary change so far, and I always scoffed at people that used protein powders thinking &quot;blah, you can do that with natural foods anyways,&quot; but I'm a convert. Shit works. Really does.

lol You have only been using protein powder for like 3 days.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

lol You have only been using protein powder for like 3 days.

Yeah, and in those three days, I'm recovering from hard effort in cardio about 4x as fast. I never thought it would give THAT much of an effect, but it does. I just needed to experience it ONCE and I'd be converted :P And I am.

I'm allowed to have my opinions changed by pure physical example, as has happened here.

SmAcKpOo
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
If you want recovery, supplement L-glutamine

Darkane
07-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
If you want recovery, supplement L-glutamine

Nah.. regular whey protein is composed mostly of Glutamine anyway.

bigbadboss101
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Hot women is one of the motivations :-). May be Max Boost should buy Vaga a new set of Powerblocks if he indeed finishes a round of P90X !

max_boost
07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I was thinking of buying an XL pizza from Vogglio's if he makes it to day 30 and we'll go from there. :devil: