PDA

View Full Version : D16A6 Non-Vtec turbo Build.

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Going to start building a turbo D16A6 non-vtec.

any suggestions on best internals to use.(Pistons,rods,crank,head,etc.)

injector size.(i know their is going to be alot of comments on how stupid i am for this.but i am looking to run 2.bar of boost=28PSI)

Not sure what to run for CP ratio for pstons.8.0:1 CR??? not sure.

fuel system suggestions,cooling,Tuning.
What turbo should i run,any suggestions on size that would be best for my motor.

was thinking about running a Hondata S300,but not too sure.

any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nissan_Fanboy
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Talk to sentry , he's the shit
and ue Gunna need to build pretty good forb2 bar

Sentry
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
What kinda power you looking to make? 300? 400?

And what are you looking to spend?

Answer those and I'll give you a reply. :D

Nissan_Fanboy
07-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Sentry
What kinda power you looking to make? 300? 400?

And what are you looking to spend?

Answer those and I'll give you a reply. :D

knew you would post right after me ;)
SENTRY TO THE WIN

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-20-2010, 07:27 AM
looking to make about 400hp.and as for price.looking to spend what ever i have to spend in order to have a 400hp turbo D-series.

T-Dubbs
07-20-2010, 09:35 AM
400whp?
lol
get out your wallet

TYPERAWR
07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
400whp?
lol
get out your wallet

Sorry Tdubbs no wallet needed, d series isnt like those slow exspensive nazi made Audis.
400 WHP is a very reasonable number to make on a cheap built D.
Maybe do some fucking research before you post in here again faggit!

TYPERAWR
07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Thats right i am loling at you.

TYPERAWR
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Just posted these in our dyno vault. Wanted to post these up for everyone to see

Bisimoto 3.6 cam

D16Z6
Bisimoto Level 3.6 cam
Bisimoto Valvesprings and Titanium retainers
Portflow head
Supertech valves
Arias 9:1 pistons
Bisimoto D16 spec rods
Bisimoto prototype top mount Manifold
Turbonetics GT-K 650
2.5" piping
3" downpipe + exhaust
91 octane
AEM EMS 1040
18 PSI
450whp at 293 wft/lbs of torque, with a very lopey idle

D16Z6 head
Bisimoto Cam Gear
Bisimoto Pro Springs and Titanium retainers
Bisimoto Level 3.6 camshaft
Supertech Stainless Steel intake valves
Supertech Inconel Exhaust valves
Golden Eagle Head gasket
D16Z6 engine
Arias 9:1, 75.5mm pistons
Golden eagle sleeves
Bisimoto Spec H-beam steel Rods
Honda Bearings
Stock Ported Oil pump
Bisimoto/Evolution Sandwich plate
K&N Oil filter
Bisimoto heat shielding gasket
Golden Eagle Intake manifold
Skunk 2 68mm throttle body
T1 1000cc Injector dynamics squirters
AEM Fuel rail
AEM Fuel pressure regulator
AEM fuel pressure gauge
-6AN fuel lines
Stock return lines
AEM Water Meth kit (for super high boost!)
Kinsler Monster Mesh fuel filter
AEM 6040 Gen 2 EMS
AEM UEGO
AEM Twin fire
AEM COP EPM
AEM pencil Coils
AEM Serial Gauge (this is so sick!)
AEM boost control solenoid
AEM 5 bar map sensor
MSD digital Boost-a-pump pn 2351
Power XS S680 Battery
Rywire mil-spec wiring
Bisimoto-Turbonetics BTX6565
Bisimoto Prototype top mount twin scroll manifold, ceramic coated
Turbonetics RG-45 wastegate
Turbonetics Godzilla BOV
3" Intercooler piping
Turbonetics/Spearco 5-364 (3.5"x10.5"x28" wide..and yes, we made it fit!)
-3an oil feed line
-10an oil return
Burns Stainless 3.5" 2-stage muffler
3.5" aluminum exhaust system

708whp and 487 ft/lbs on 91 octane + 50/50% water methanol
724 and 500 ft/lbs on Torco 100 octane + 50/50% water methanol

517 pages of turbo d setups

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1643764&highlight=d16+dyno

Mr_ET
07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Any turbo motor making 400whp when it wasn't designed to do so is going to be fairly expensive.

The fuel setup is going to be fairly expensive and so will the turbo, manifold and downpipe setup.

Rods and pistons aren't usually a ton of money.

You might be able to get away with some i beam rods and vitaras but that is pushing it at that level.

I would expect to spend between 2-3k in a motor build unless you buy cheap parts and can assemble it yourself.

The turbo setup will run you another 4-5k and probably another 1.5K for fuel management and tuning.

If that makes sense to you, I would look at full-race, peakboost and possible evans tuning.

They all have very good turbo kits that can make that power.

As far as the engine build, I used Precise and though they looked like they did a good job, I have been underwhelmed with the overall power produced on my build as well as the oil consumption I was not expecting from a brand new motor that was broken in properly.

Sentry
07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..
looking to make about 400hp.and as for price.looking to spend what ever i have to spend in order to have a 400hp turbo D-series.
It'd probably be 4-5 grand in total.

FJ bottom end kit $600
ARP headstuds $100
Delta 272 or Colt Tri-flow cam $250
Supertech springs and retainers $300
GM 3bar MAP sensor $70
socketed P28 $100
ebay intercooler, charge pipe kit, and BOV $300
Autoworks manifold/dump/downpipe $600
Tial wastegate $240
T3 50 trim $600
Autoworks oil line kit $100
Injector Dynamics or Precise 1000cc injectors $400
Walbro 255lph fuel pump $100
LSD or Competition 6 puck sprung clutch $300
Dyno tuning $300-450

Exoect to spend another couple hundred bucks on other random bullshit, trips to the hardware store, etc.

Sentry
07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Also if you can find a good deal on used parts I advise you buy em. You can save some real dough. I got an alright price on the turbo, injectors, block, and parts pile, and I gotta say a killer deal on the head.

Here's what I spent on my current build, looking to make 300+ on it.

Bought:
GT2860RS 700
Silicone reducer 30
Walbro 255lph LP 120
Block adapter 50
Oil line kit 100
-3AN Restrictor 20
Denso 720cc 200
Competition Clutch 330
FJ Superkit 650
ARP Headstuds 120
Xenocron Basemap 40
Magnetic Drain Plugs 30
(8) NGK BKR7ES-11 30
Cast Mani 160
Fresh A6 and parts 300
Built D15B Head 440
Hardware 30

Sold:
Old turbo 400
Oil pump 30

To buy:
Downpipe 300
Dyno Tuning 300

Bear in mind the block I got had bores that were in spec and a crank that was in spec, so I opted against having any machine work done. If the block you choose for you build is worn excessively you might have to spend a couple hundred bucks at Precise.

gretz
07-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

As far as the engine build, I used Precise and though they looked like they did a good job, I have been underwhelmed with the overall power produced on my build as well as the oil consumption I was not expecting from a brand new motor that was broken in properly.

-1 for Precise in my books... between your motor, and 2 other $7500+ builds i personally know of... I have seen things from;
-super excessive crankcase pressure
- blowing out seals
- stripped ATi damper and crankshaft keyway
- a broken timing belt, followed by a built Supertech valvetrain (built by them grenading itself)
- The Supertech head was rebuilt by them with ferrera valves - broke another timing belt
-a 12:1 compression 2.3L (ish), fully built, LS VTEC - portmatched head / mani - skunk2 valvetrain/retainers/springs + bc stage3 cams... making only 145whp and losing power after 7400rpm...

... there are a few other horror stories, mabey they just don't like Hondas lol...

^^ just some fyi for you if you are looking to get a shop to build the motor... With a d-series, a $10000 dollar budget would be fairly suffiecient number, judging you want to drive the car around and not just down the track...

T-Dubbs
07-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
400whp?
lol
get out your wallet

Originally posted by TYPERAWR

Sorry Tdubbs no wallet needed, d series isnt like those slow exspensive nazi made Audis.
400 WHP is a very reasonable number to make on a cheap built D.
Maybe do some fucking research before you post in here again faggit!

i guess, for some reason you think builds are free?

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Shit,thanks a bunch guys.you all have helped ALOT more than i was expecting in the first place.As for this build...it is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than i originaly thought.

i'll post up some pics of parts and the build process when it's that time.

Thanks Beyond.

Ymerej472008
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Its one thing to make 400 "cheap" whp and its another to make
400 "reliable" whp.
Just remember when building..... Cheap shit ain't good and good shit ain't cheap.

This is where I had my bottom end done. Ive heard ZERO negative feedback from them.
I'll see how mine holds up soon! :guns:
http://laskeyracing.com/shop/dseries.htm

Sentry
07-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Except the Vitara pistons and FJ rods ARE good.

They've been taken to 600whp/mid 9 second passes at 150+ mph with stock 75mm bore and stock sleeves.

So for 99% of turbo D series builds? They'll suffice.

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Its one thing to make 400 "cheap" whp and its another to make
400 "reliable" whp.

their is no way that you are making a reliable 400+WHP civic.
pushing 400+ is just asking for problems.

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Another question.

Which turbo to buy.I can't find any so far that are good for 28 PSI boost. the most i am finding in Turbonetics are 22 PSI max.

any help?

gretz
07-22-2010, 10:58 AM
The amount of boost a turbo can produce has little to do on how much hp you will make... The flow is what you are looking for...

15lbs on a t25 will not make anywhere near the same power as a gt35 @ the same boost pressure...

A GT35R will get you to 400whp

Sentry
07-22-2010, 12:08 PM
GT35R is overkill for 400. Get a 50 trim for 650 bucks and you'll be good.

If you're still not sold on the Vitaras and FJ rods, go ask DSO. "Are these going to be good for 400?" The answer you'll get will be UNANIMOUS

You're pretty much not going to make 400 on pump anyway. I'm assuming you want to drive this on the street and not just have it be a race car?

gretz
07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
GT35R is overkill for 400.

You're pretty much not going to make 400 on pump anyway. I'm assuming you want to drive this on the street and not just have it be a race car?

Not for on pump gas lol...

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-22-2010, 04:35 PM
this will see the street the odd time.but would like this for the track.

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Need a bit of help.Went with a different setup.instead of the d16a6,i went with a USDM spec D15b7 non vtec,but will still use the D16a6 head.

Now,i am looking for good low comp pistons for the USDM spec non-vtec D15b7,aswell as i now need a bottom end kit.As for what i can see,FJ bottom end kits that they have listed for the d15b7 is for the vtec JDM spec and will not work with the USDM spec b7.

Any idea's on which pistons and bottom end to go with?

thanks.

Sentry
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
There is practically no aftermarket for those. FJ is working on rods for them, but they're still a ways in the future.

Go D16 if you want to build.

Also B7 and A6 heads are the exact same, only the cam is different.

Sparx
09-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I think a gt3076 is more than enough to carry you to 400 wheel, then again im a baffoon when it comes to d series, b series on the other hand :-D

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-15-2010, 01:47 AM
There is practically no aftermarket for those. FJ is working on rods for them, but they're still a ways in the future.

Go D16 if you want to build.

Also B7 and A6 heads are the exact same, only the cam is different.

Already talked to the Crew at Bisimoto Engineering,they are making me Custom 8.4:1 CR pistons,Custom rods,complete custom bottom end kit.

Thanks Guys.

Sparx
09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
what are you going to use for a cam? Going with a non vtec head i think its safe to say youll have to use a fairly aggressive cam to get the results your wanting.

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
As for a cam,I sent all my info for what i want to Bisimoto. Told them i am looking to make 400whp off of this set up,so they are doing a complete engine package for me. They are going to send me pics and all the info on how the build is going while they build it all.

My head should be arriving at Bisimoto's facility in california tomorrow for them to port & polish and build.

Nissan_Fanboy
09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
As for a cam,I sent all my info for what i want to Bisimoto. Told them i am looking to make 400whp off of this set up,so they are doing a complete engine package for me. They are going to send me pics and all the info on how the build is going while they build it all.

My head should be arriving at Bisimoto's facility in california tomorrow for them to port & polish and build.

shit, that must not be very cheap getting them to build everything?

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy

shit, that must not be very cheap getting them to build everything?

No,not one bit.But since they know their D-series shit...I am letting them do it all.

aswell as since Bisi is doing all the custom parts,He asked if i could send my head in for them to make sure everything is dead on.But they gave me a deal on the head.

Rui M
09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
your wasting you money , look how cheap a b16 swap is these days? and the turbo parts are the same price if not less and just as common.

Sparx
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Doing a built d series is far cheaper than a b. Cant hate on the op

AutodreamMarvin
09-22-2010, 10:57 PM

No,not one bit.But since they know their D-series shit...I am letting them do it all.

aswell as since Bisi is doing all the custom parts,He asked if i could send my head in for them to make sure everything is dead on.But they gave me a deal on the head.

Good call on Bisi doing the work.

Probably the most knowledgeable person on tuning D-series in North America.

Do your research, see what works, make sure it makes sense to you, consult the experts if you can't weed the bs from fact, take your time, assemble it properly, use proven high quality parts, and remember the importance of a good tune.

Follow these steps and you should see success.

AutodreamMarvin
09-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Rui M
your wasting you money , look how cheap a b16 swap is these days? and the turbo parts are the same price if not less and just as common.

To each his own.

If he wants to build a turbo D, why not?

I'm personally thinking of doing a turbo z6 with a6 block on an EG sedan I took as a partial trade for my S14.

mmayyybbeee...

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Sure B-series swaps are fairly cheap these days.but here is why i am doing D-series.I love the D-series motors,never had any problems with them,reliable,cheap,lots of parts,sure the D15b7 USDM non-vtec has not many parts,but for getting Custom parts built just for my motor sure isn't cheap,but yet still not that expensive.And my other thing is that being a Honda owner,I HATE Vtec,lol.just never caught my eye i guess.All of my other EF's have never had Vtec,they were all motor,and this is my first turbo Civic build,as i have all motor built d16a6,d15b7 usdm with d16a6 head,Non-vtec mini me with ITB's.JDM DOHC ZC non-vtec with stage 3+cams and built 13.5:1 hi-comp build.

And i am getting Bisi at Bisimoto Engineering to build all my parts,as he will be doing the tuning and fine touches as well.I only chose him because he is 1 of the best D-series builders/tuners in the world.I trust all of his work and advice to nothing but a positive since he races D-series civic's.

I have no regrets to building the D-series turbo set-up.

mugenmclude
10-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Any 1/4 mile and dyno #s from your other set ups?

Seahorsepower1
10-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Can't wait to see what numbers your pushing when it's done. :D