PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Talon Build Thread GOAL 1000WHP

Ron@Revolution
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
So I'm doing another round of updates and mods to my car so I thought I would share them with everybody. Some of the mods well be safety, and some well be electronic and performance oriented. Also after cruising with the car down in Lethbridge I'm hoping to make the car faster but more street able this year so I can enjoy it on the street even more. Enjoy.

Some detaling I was doing and a new TIG'd and coated 4" down pipe, and custom ram air setup. :D

http://talongt66.4t.com/Revolution2010.JPG

strong
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
:clap: :clap:

More pics!

Revhard
07-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Pretty sweet Ron. I'm surprised you want more power though. I thought your passes last year were done on a less than ideal tune, and that there was more in the car??? I haven't heard of you making any passes this year. I assume from your comments that it maybe isn't a super driver, and you are just going to try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone while making changes?
What are you going to change to accomplish these goals?
For those of you who don't know the car, it's super clean, and one of the fastest, if not the fastest 4 cyl in Alberta.:thumbsup:

Ron@Revolution
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
Pretty sweet Ron. I'm surprised you want more power though. I thought your passes last year were done on a less than ideal tune, and that there was more in the car??? I haven't heard of you making any passes this year. I assume from your comments that it maybe isn't a super driver, and you are just going to try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone while making changes?
For those of you who don't know the car, it's super clean, and one of the fastest, if not the fastest 4 cyl in Alberta.:thumbsup:

Thanks Chris hopefully get my Tig skills better with your fall class.

Ron@Revolution
07-28-2010, 04:24 PM

No most of the upgrades well be safety and electronic this year, I'm taking several different EMS specific tuning courses and plan to use my car for some R&D and create base maps from scratch using several different EMS system. And hopefully get some boost into the car this year. :guns:

Darell_n
07-28-2010, 06:02 PM
At what hp level will the block require being filled? Are you using some sort of girdle for the top and bottom ends? I admit I don't know much about those engines, but 1000hp seems like a ton for a factory street block.

banned3x
07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
sickkkkk

Luang
07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
ahahahhaahhahhahahahaha ^^^^^^^^^^^ (Not Quoted) every fuckin time i c a nice car ppl in the car alwasys have that same reaction with me :thumbsup:

Ron@Revolution
07-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
At what hp level will the block require being filled? Are you using some sort of girdle for the top and bottom ends? I admit I don't know much about those engines, but 1000hp seems like a ton for a factory street block.

I have a girdle on the bottom and some other tricks to keep the mains in one place but the stock block is very strong and guys have made over 1500 hp on filled stock blocks and stock heads and cranks.

Ron@Revolution
08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
First new EMS system going into the car well be another AEM this time a Ver 2 box using the new AEMTUNER software. I figured since I just complete my AEM certification training that I might as well start there, I well be building a base map from scratch as well as converting the car from wasted spark to sequential spark, as well as running sequential fuel injection with 8 x 1600cc injectors and on E85. :thumbsup:

Darell_n
08-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ron@Revolution
First new EMS system going into the car well be another AEM this time a Ver 2 box using the new AEMTUNER software. I figured since I just complete my AEM certification training that I might as well start there, I well be building a base map from scratch as well as converting the car from wasted spark to sequential spark, as well as running sequential fuel injection with 8 x 1600cc injectors and on E85. :thumbsup:

What does the ver 2 box cost, if you don't mind me asking? I may end up going this route in the future as Chrysler offers an AEM setup for their crate engines.

Ron@Revolution
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
So this morning started off like any other for me and then I got an unexpected call? Craig over at Spark Tech ignitions called me. I had just ordered up a system from him so I thought he phoned to give me a tracking number or something. Well to my surprise Craig has graciously offered become a sponsor for my car. I'm super excited to see what his ignition system well help me accomplish considering the amount of E85 the car is ingesting. {thumbup} Well post up some pics once everything arrives. :beer:

Ron@Revolution
08-25-2010, 03:07 PM
So the car is now up and running on 8 sequential 1600cc injectors and 4 sequential coils being driven through a Sparktech Ignition system. :)

Arnold
08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
your engine bay is so clean, damn! wish mine looked like that :thumbsup:

Ron@Revolution
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Arnold
your engine bay is so clean, damn! wish mine looked like that :thumbsup:

Thanks I still have some finishing touches to do this winter but if you have ever seen a stock 2G under the hood you know what a mess it used to be. :banghead:

Ron@Revolution
08-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Here is a pic of the new CDI system and COP system I well be running this year from Sparktech.

http://talongt66.4t.com/sparktech.JPG

Sparx
08-31-2010, 04:29 PM
8 1600cc injectors jeeze. Legitimate question would your say you use a solid half tank off one pass? Thats alot of damn fuel.

Ron@Revolution
09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Here are some of the car I was out cruising Sunday and stopped a several locations to take some pics.

A local Pro photographer was also taking shoots but these are just my Iphone pics.

http://talongt66.4t.com/photoshoot1.JPG

http://talongt66.4t.com/photoshoot2.JPG

http://talongt66.4t.com/photoshootmotor1.JPG

http://talongt66.4t.com/photoshootmotor2.JPG

3drian
09-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I gottta be honest and say im not a huge talon fan but yours looks sick nice work, the ride looks awesome.. keep it up

heavyD
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow. That's one hell of a DSM.:thumbsup:

Rui M
09-02-2010, 04:17 PM
how much money total would you say is invested in your car?

stevo 27
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
100,000 k + gotta pay to play

Ron@Revolution
09-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27

Yeah unfortunately it costs lots to go fast especially in something which is very heavy for a 4 cylinder.

A3GTiVR6SC
09-18-2010, 01:23 PM

LOL@100K on a DSM to go 9's.... :nut: :rofl:

maybe a little over a 1/4 of that. (inlcuding cost of car)

Ron@Revolution
09-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC

You obviously never bought any high end parts for DSM's, there not cheap, Clutch $5000, Dogbox $7000, Transfer Case Upgrade $1800, DSS Stage 5 axles $2000, and that isn't even all the driveline upgrades. :banghead: There is a difference between building a car that the trans and clutch and drive train last one or two passes and one that well take the abuse year after year. Plus the car is making 8 second power I just need to get the car to leave as hard as it should.

stevo 27
09-19-2010, 01:02 AM

theres alot left in rons car he got enough mph to run 8's hes got all the best of the best parts he just needs to put that pig on a diet

it's not cheap dude ive got 35+k into the head for my motor

Pollywog
09-19-2010, 01:33 AM
A streetable 9-second car - undeniably awesome.

Great build!

962 kid
09-19-2010, 10:17 AM

:rofl: I would love to see you build a consistent 9 second DSM for 25g. In fact, I would lick your shoes if you could pull it off.

Revhard
09-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, don't kid yourself. 9's aren't cheap no matter which way you get there. In a mustang, with a turbo, it would take about 1/2, but everybody has done it. The awd platform is likely more expensive than a fwd to make go fast because of complexity. Thing is, it's heavier too.
The benefit is hook. Slicks are needed to do it right.
Ron has a fast car that he can also drive.
Steve's car will be fast when it's done too, if he stops screwing around with that 14 second v-8!!!

A3GTiVR6SC
09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Ok Ok, my bad..No need to get all worked up. I should of been more specific as in closer to half of that (35-40)... But come on now, 100K:nut:.

Wow, maybe i should change my project because dumping 100 G's into a DSM is ridiculous. :banghead:

And Ron, I believe you with your goals an know you are highly mechanically inclined that you do all you're own work = no labour costs. This is why i quoted that price tag. No offence, but for the average joe, i can see 100K being more realistic. ;)

stevo 27
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, don't kid yourself. 9's aren't cheap no matter which way you get there. In a mustang, with a turbo, it would take about 1/2, but everybody has done it. The awd platform is likely more expensive than a fwd to make go fast because of complexity. Thing is, it's heavier too.
The benefit is hook. Slicks are needed to do it right.
Ron has a fast car that he can also drive.
Steve's car will be fast when it's done too, if he stops screwing around with that 14 second v-8!!!

i know i know i got side tracked ive tires the fogger system and im done the long block on the toyota is almost done then i can get my billet 122mm turbo & dry sump then finally dyno the prick its been way to long

Ron@Revolution
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Just an update I had the car on the track Sunday with some kind of clutch release issue causing the clutch to slip all the way through first resulting in a 2.7 60Ft :banghead: When it did grab it did manage to pull itself to 158Mph :thumbsup: So I think I'm right around the 1000Whp mark and have lots of boost and nitrous yet to come. In its current state I'm gaining roughly 30 hp per lb of boost and I figure I have another 10 plus psi left on the table.

Revhard
09-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Just an update I had the car on the track Sunday with some kind of clutch release issue causing the clutch to slip all the way through first resulting in a 2.7 60Ft :banghead: When it did grab it did manage to pull itself to 158Mph :thumbsup: So I think I'm right around the 1000Whp mark and have lots of boost and nitrous yet to come. In its current state I'm gaining roughly 30 hp per lb of boost and I figure I have another 10 plus psi left on the table. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
What is the clutch? 158 is cruising.

Ron@Revolution
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM

What is the clutch? 158 is cruising.

Thanks Chris and I think that rolling out a 100ft before the car even started to move brought that Mph down quite a bit. Its a Tilton Carbon/Carbon and I'm thinking it might not be the clutch so much as the release mechanism in the hydraulics. Once I get over this cold I well take a look at it.:banghead:

Ron@Revolution
10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Another update went to the track today and still having some clutch issues but ran 3 or 4 9 second passes with the slowest being 154Mph :)

stevo 27
10-03-2010, 01:45 AM

Thanks Chris and I think that rolling out a 100ft before the car even started to move brought that Mph down quite a bit. Its a Tilton Carbon/Carbon and I'm thinking it might not be the clutch so much as the release mechanism in the hydraulics. Once I get over this cold I well take a look at it.:banghead:

thats suprizing ive never heard of aynone have trouble with the hydraulic dounut tilton uses

chkolny541
10-03-2010, 02:18 AM
with the slowest being 154Mph :)

i wish i could say that, man i would love a ride along in that beast

Ron@Revolution
10-09-2010, 11:24 AM

thats suprizing ive never heard of aynone have trouble with the hydraulic dounut tilton uses

My problem was that my master cylinder unlike most has a block off port that if the rod isn't threaded out far enough keeps the fluid from traveling back through the system I got this fixed but probably cooked the bearing in the process. I think I'm the only 2G that is running this clutch and 1G guys don't have this block off port.

Ron@Revolution
10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Well here is a video of my 9.6@157 Pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdobjNvHQC8

This is the video of my 9.8@154Mph Pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSrD24s2Sw

Redlyne_mr2
10-14-2010, 10:29 AM
What an awesome car, congrats on the times!

Ron@Revolution
10-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
What an awesome car, congrats on the times!

Thanks I'm having fun with it and got to do some cruising this year what more can you ask for.

Darell_n
10-14-2010, 06:23 PM
What speeds at Castrol do you think would require pulling the 'chute in your car?

Ron@Revolution
10-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
What speeds at Castrol do you think would require pulling the 'chute in your car?

You don't have to pull it but you need to have it on the car if your going over 150Mph just in case.

J-hop
10-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Ron@Revolution
10-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
WOW, excellent work sir. I am getting tired of so many people building 1 run wonder DSMs, it is nice to see someone do it right for once!!

Thanks yeah even with the clutch problem still made 2, 10.0 passes and 4, 9 second passes over the weekend.

Ron@Revolution
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
This project is closed and succesfull. New project well is starting as we speak time I got real serious enough playing around :eek:

A3GTiVR6SC
08-22-2011, 08:04 PM
That's the spirit! Can't wait to see the new build, Good luck man!

Ron@Revolution
08-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks I just put a ton of parts up for sale, and a ton more on order heading in a totaly different direction should be intresting :)