PDA

View Full Version : Southland Leisure Centre gym

C_Dave45
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Anyone go there? Doing chest tonight, if anyone wants a workout partner I'm usually there after supper 7:00-7:30. 25 mins on the cardio then 45-60 mins on the weights.

duaner
12-11-2010, 10:26 AM
How is the gym there? I used to go there 5 years ago or so but moved out of the area just before they started renovations. Small gym but I really liked it there. I'm back in the general area and toying with the idea of going back.

I'm trying to build up a home gym but I'm severely limited on space which, of course, means I don't have a whole lot of variety.

C_Dave45
12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by duaner
How is the gym there? I used to go there 5 years ago or so but moved out of the area just before they started renovations. Small gym but I really liked it there. I'm back in the general area and toying with the idea of going back.

I'm trying to build up a home gym but I'm severely limited on space which, of course, means I don't have a whole lot of variety.
I really like it. I've never had to wait for a machine OR a bench. At the busiest there's maybe 30 people in there. It's not a "pretty boy" gym, and there's no eye-candy. Mostly normal guys/women just trying to get in shape.

There's one HUGE guy (benches 4 plates, squats 5) but other than that, mostly normal people. wide age range (teenagers to 50's)

Clean, lots of room and lots of weights. I have a yearly membership...costs me $43 a month and that includes my kid. I can swim, public skate, and use the gym.

Virtual Tour (http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Recreation/Locate+by+Facility/Leisure+Centres/Southland+Leisure+Centre/Southland+Virtual+Tour.htm)

duaner
12-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, that is why I liked that gym--never busy and regular people just trying to get in shape. The rates are good too but all I need is the gym.

My wife wants to swim laps though so she wants to look into the Jewish center but that is further away.

Maybe I should just get some passes to hit SLC once in a while, likely weekends.

swak
12-12-2010, 03:43 PM
does the SLC have lane swim? I thought it was just the wave pool that they had...

pf0sh0
12-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by swak
does the SLC have lane swim? I thought it was just the wave pool that they had...

I'm pretty sure they have a second pool there that has lanes

duaner
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just the wave pool. If they did have another one for lanes that would make my decision easy.

Mogg
12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
they only have the wave pool.
u may be thinking of the dive tank as a length pool but it is not 25 meters nor is it open for lane swims

lison
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I love the little running lane area at SLC.
Great for speed development.