PDA

View Full Version : What BOV do you run?

Chantastic
01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I am getting tired of my Greddy Type RS (not beign recirculated). It's a cool sound, but I just can't hear it when I go over 5k, my Apex'i N1 drowns it out, and I love the exhaust so that's staying. Anyone have experience with other bov's that are louder across the entire range?

Here is a video I took while back. It's about as loud as it ever gets, and because of that, you just can't hear it when you're really going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYUSDNHbeoE

My brother has a HKS SSQV and it is very loud, but the car is auto so I have no idea if you'd really hear it at high rpm, but I love the sound so I am debating getting one of those in the future. Just wondering if anyone has some good video's or anything of their own setups.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Was running a Greddy Type RZ on my S13. Just a tad to quiet for my liking.

240SX92
01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
My SSQV is loud as hell, all throughtout the powerband and I'm running an Apex'i N1 as well. Can't take a video now, batteries out of the car.

962 kid
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Currently running a twin bosch BOV setup. Non recirculating for now, but it will be recirc'd once I get around to making a new intake pipe. Friggin love the setup :thumbsup:

Chantastic
01-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Yea doing some youtubing, it would seem that all the greddy's are really 'airy'. The HKS is very piercing. Is tehre anything in between?

Chantastic
01-27-2011, 10:26 PM
haha, video's when you can, gentlemen

dj_rice
01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I had a Blitz SS on my old KA=T. Pretty loud imo. Not a high pitched squeal like HKS SSQV, more like a whooosh

Sorath
01-27-2011, 10:42 PM
None! just run wastegate!

SlickA70
01-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I had a Blitz SS on my old KA=T. Pretty loud imo. Not a high pitched squeal like HKS SSQV, more like a whooosh

+1

The SS in my A70 was perfect.

Sil80_D
01-27-2011, 10:49 PM
running non recirc'd HKS ssqv.... it's quite "piercing" yes. When i take out the blades its just a whoosh and on my car i can barely hear it.

i found a vid of all three fins, chan. take a look if you're still browsing utube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblCEQXQ8Q4

comments on this vid made me lol

Chantastic
01-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Sil80_D
running non recirc'd HKS ssqv.... it's quite "piercing" yes. When i take out the blades its just a whoosh and on my car i can barely hear it.

i found a vid of all three fins, chan. take a look if you're still browsing utube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HblCEQXQ8Q4

comments on this vid made me lol

haha, I already saw that vid but I didn't read the comments. Yea my bro has the star shaped one, that is very loud. The thing I like about it, is how it is the same sound just with a different pitch depending on throttle. Low rpm on that thing sounds amazing, and so does high rpm. However, I do sometimes it sounded more meaty... maybe I could just get one of those inserts. Actually it sounds pretty cool without any fins (the first one). And the third one sounds like some kinda video game, where a guy gets hit reaaaaaly hard by a ice blast of some sort hahaha

Chantastic
01-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic

haha, I already saw that vid but I didn't read the comments. Yea my bro has the star shaped one, that is very loud. The thing I like about it, is how it is the same sound just with a different pitch depending on throttle. Low rpm on that thing sounds amazing, and so does high rpm. However, I do sometimes it sounded more meaty... maybe I could just get one of those inserts. Actually it sounds pretty cool without any fins (the first one). And the third one sounds like some kinda video game, where a guy gets hit reaaaaally hard by a ice blast of some sort hahaha

edit: I missed the part where you said with no fins it's actually pretty quiet

Sil80_D
01-27-2011, 11:33 PM
well it's not "quiet" per se, but in comparison to the star fin, less noticeable i suppose? (i think it's the pitch) you'd have to hear it in person i guess. ask ur bro to take out his insert lol.

Ukyo8
01-27-2011, 11:45 PM
SSQV without the fin sounds awesome :thumbsup:

Chantastic
01-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Sil80_D
well it's not "quiet" per se, but in comparison to the star fin, less noticeable i suppose? (i think it's the pitch) you'd have to hear it in person i guess. ask ur bro to take out his insert lol.

I think I will

edit: before we do, since you've obviously already done it, does it just twist out? And if it does, is it a funky reverse threading Japanese thing? Don't wanna break it haha

Ukyo8
01-28-2011, 12:12 AM

I think I will

edit: before we do, since you've obviously already done it, does it just twist out? And if it does, is it a funky reverse threading Japanese thing? Don't wanna break it haha

You have to take out 4 allen screws and then you can take it out.

Cooked Rice
01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
None! just run wastegate!

:werd:

I admit I do this too. :bigpimp:

Sorath
01-28-2011, 12:31 AM
sounds more badass anyways :P

Chantastic
01-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Ukyo8

You have to take out 4 allen screws and then you can take it out.

awesome, thanks

Chantastic
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
sounds more badass anyways :P
haha, sound clip?

Sorath
01-28-2011, 01:11 AM
really old video, old setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJp_HTNMGs

comparison ssqv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgnKrfV4a7c

ssqv sounds so annoying

TRD_jordan
01-28-2011, 01:25 AM
HKS ssqv i got th star insert too.... but some reason mines louder then Sil80_D... LOL!! no idea why but thats the only one i would get lol

Freestylin
01-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by TRD_jordan
HKS ssqv i got th star insert too.... but some reason mines louder then Sil80_D... LOL!! no idea why but thats the only one i would get lol

I am also running the HKS SSQV with this insert and I must agree it's pretty freaking loud.

Sentry
01-28-2011, 06:59 AM
SSQV sounds awesome it you run it without an insert.

With an insert it sounds like a screaming shit hawk.

blackpeople
01-28-2011, 09:17 AM
My srt4 has an ssqv and my talon has a forged bov but changing to a Tial 50m :D

sr20s14zenki
01-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Should hear the ssqv when you are blowing off higher pressure haha. Im blowing off 20 psi from a 2876 and you can literally hear it for blocks. SSQV is great because it holds closed at idle, i find alot dont and that is bad for nissans because of their being maf. If you have converted to map, thats completely different. I like TIALS new blowoffs..

AaronK
01-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Im running the Go Fast Bits Deceptor and I love it

Chantastic
01-31-2011, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Should hear the ssqv when you are blowing off higher pressure haha. Im blowing off 20 psi from a 2876 and you can literally hear it for blocks. SSQV is great because it holds closed at idle, i find alot dont and that is bad for nissans because of their being maf. If you have converted to map, thats completely different. I like TIALS new blowoffs..

haha, SSQV is loud enough at ten psi, can't imagine what yours sounds like. Perhaps a screaming shithawk? LOL

gpomp
01-31-2011, 12:58 AM
tial 50mm

Chantastic
01-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Another video demonstrating just how quiet the greddy type rs really is. With the exception of the first donut, I was probably under 4k the whole time. You can only hear its flutter at the very end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxADsU7pobE

sr20s14zenki
01-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Another video demonstrating just how quiet the greddy type rs really is. With the exception of the first donut, I was probably under 4k the whole time. You can only hear its flutter at the very end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxADsU7pobE

well for one, you arent creating much load, meaning you arent creating much boost to blow off :D

i dont use the greddy bovs for one reason, alot of them its hit and miss as to weather it stays closed at idle, and that causes all kinds of issues with ecus based on maf, idle surging, leaking under boost, etc. The funny thing is that its hit and miss with them, one bov will do it, while the next wont....:dunno:

94_S14
01-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Running a HKS SQV, but considering a synapse bov now that ive been looking at the engineering behind it. Sounds good too

Commanderwiggin
01-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Two HKS SSQV's

Chantastic
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM

well for one, you arent creating much load, meaning you arent creating much boost to blow off :D

i dont use the greddy bovs for one reason, alot of them its hit and miss as to weather it stays closed at idle, and that causes all kinds of issues with ecus based on maf, idle surging, leaking under boost, etc. The funny thing is that its hit and miss with them, one bov will do it, while the next wont....:dunno:

yea...but still. I would love something that would be louder and at lower rpm and boost levels. Bro's SSQV is loud even when it hits like 3psi haha

sr20s14zenki
01-31-2011, 09:05 PM
You could try removin the recirc and see how it likes it

240SX92
01-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah mines not circulated and that thing chirps like no ones business even low rpms...

Chantastic
01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
You could try removin the recirc and see how it likes it

Mine is just the bov with the blue horn thing, no extra valve attached

Also, were any of you guys on 12ave tonight by the drum and monkey, in a black hatch? Figured I'd ask...

Redlyne_jr
02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
i run the synapse synchronic

n1zm0
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 240SX92
My SSQV is loud as hell, all throughtout the powerband

:werd: same with even the first gen ssq ( the polished type), i'm probably looking to get rid of it for something new since everyone and their mothers dog has an sqv :D , looking into a synchronic this year

tomt64
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Greddy rz.

EM1FTW
02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Tial 50mm on my civic, but im thinking about changing it out for something else