PDA

View Full Version : Maclin Ford refused refund (scammed deposit)

Pages : [1] 2

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
While being pressured into purchasing a used 2008 Ford F150, when the salesman asked for a credit card to secure the vehicle, i asked if it was going to be an issue if i wanted to get my deposit back, he stated that it should be ok as long as i was honest.

Only when he brought the worksheet/bill of sale to sign after putting through my credit card did it say it was refundable upon delivery. After deciding I no longer wished to purchase the vehicle, I was told on numerous occasions that I was not entitled to my deposit back, I could however get it back if I purchase a different vehicle, as long as it was from them.

Meanwhile, I had never received a bill of sale with any terms or conditions on it, and was refused one when I asked for one until I pick up the truck, though it has changed several times since signing it.

After several phone calls and unreturned messages to the general manager regarding the manner, I was finally contacted by the sales manager who said "you bought a truck, whether you pick it up or not is not my problem" and "you have a thousand resons to pick up the truck" I never signed a credit application for the financing, I only signed a permission to pull my credit score. but maybe thats all they need idk.

I was booked to go in on the following Monday to talk to the finance department and get the credit application finalized, but i did not talk to them, that's when i told the original salesman i felt the truck was just to much money and didn't want it.

After being called a liar in the middle of a he said he said situation, I am left unsatisfied and extremely frustrated. I would like my deposit returned to me, as they did not state that it was only refundable if delivery took place until after they had run through my credit card, and reassured me it was fully refundable.

I do not think that my test driving the truck is worth $1000.00. don't let them do this to you! if your not sure of something walk away! being employed in the dealership industry i figured that they would understand this sort of thing and maybe, just maybe they would show some compassion. i am still out my $1000.00 witch i now have to pay intrest on!

Tik-Tok
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
http://th04.deviantart.com/fs38/300W/i/2008/322/6/c/Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg

SJW
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
http://th04.deviantart.com/fs38/300W/i/2008/322/6/c/Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg

Love it.

MrSector9
03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
No, if you are not sure of something REFUSE to agree/sign anything until you have it in paper/writing with the managers signature and then sign/agree.

Call the credit company and do a charge back is your only option. they will NEVER refund you

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM

06civic
03-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Did you authorize the credit card transaction? (sign something that says they can take the deposit)

If you did, Then credit card company cant do much....

LongCity
03-04-2011, 06:09 PM
So... you don't even have $1000 to cover yourself but were planning to buy a truck? Nice!

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 06:11 PM
i called the Visa, they said they cant do anything unless they have permission to refund the money.

i have filed complaints to AMVIC and the BBB. just waiting on a response

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 06:14 PM
its not the $1000 I'm worried about its the principle.

06civic
03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ACURA44
i called the Visa, they said they cant do anything unless they have permission to refund the money.

i have filed complaints to AMVIC and the BBB. just waiting on a response

Did you tell them it was not authorized or did you tell them that you changed your mind on ur purchase?

MrSector9
03-04-2011, 06:17 PM
morally it can be seen as wrong, however you did completely waste their time and also handed over your credit card before you had a contract in writing and then signed said contract (worksheet) after on terms you did not agree with.

As much as I hate to see people get screwed you have no one to blame but yourself.

in this day and age business and morals have nothing to do with each other.

Also I should mention Maclin ford screwed my buddy completely out of the trade in your old vehicle program money.

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't see how i can say it was unauthorized if was the one who handed it over.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Unfortunatly dealerships work this way.. It's because most of the time customer want to pick up vehicles asap and they are washed, gased up, and ready to go.. The $1000 or any deposit helps those costs and assures the dealership that you will be back. The only reason most dealerships give your deposit back is if they cant get you approved..

Best thing is to never give a deposit unless 100% certain.. The no write up thing is brutal too. They have to be 100% full disclosure or AMVIC will eat them up...

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
all i want to do is warn people. i dont want this to happen to other people.

LongCity
03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
its not the $1000 I'm worried about its the principle.

Well, to be fair, you are complaining about the interest you will be charged on it.
Edit: Not really talking about the money either...

InRich
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
You were stupid to give them a visa/deposit in the first place. you obviously gave them your visa, you wanted to leave them with some money so they would hold the truck for you, its your fault. and now your crying about it.

yea the salesman is a sleezy mother fucker, but you were the dumb guy that handed over your visa. not like he forced you to give him your wallet.

lets sum it up.... guys you dont NEED TO GIVE deposits for cars u want to buy. walk away and think about it for a day or two. their not gonna sell that car within 24 hours anyway. unless the dealer is importing the car for you from another state or province, there's no reason for you to be taking ANYTHINg outta your wallet.

OP... you were sold.

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by mikey_p
Unfortunatly dealerships work this way.. It's because most of the time customer want to pick up vehicles asap and they are washed, gased up, and ready to go.. The $1000 or any deposit helps those costs and assures the dealership that you will be back. The only reason most dealerships give your deposit back is if they cant get you approved..

Best thing is to never give a deposit unless 100% certain.. The no write up thing is brutal too. They have to be 100% full disclosure or AMVIC will eat them up...

this is why AMVIC is around. that is also why when you do buy a vehicle you pay a $6.25 amvic fee. and like i said i work at another dealership. and if this thing happens, we give it back.

Shlade
03-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Ive never met as many pushy fucking cock suckers of salesmen as much as there are at Maclin Ford.

Fuck those mother fuckers. I was also pressured into a truck I didnt want and he kept pushing on me going to sign the papers. I told the pink shirt wearing faggot fucker to pound salt. He also wanted a deposit as it would in his words GO FAST. Fuck you if it goes fast theres always a better one.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM

kvg
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
You should go in and deal with it in person, not on the phone.

mikey_p
03-04-2011, 06:51 PM

this is why AMVIC is around. that is also why when you do buy a vehicle you pay a $6.25 amvic fee. and like i said i work at another dealership. and if this thing happens, we give it back.

I also work at a dealership... We also give deposits back.. And not only for turndowns of credit issues.. we give deposits back everyday like candies.... It's just our policy.. Way to much word of mouth to keep a guys $1000 deposit...

zipdoa
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Typically, a deposit is refundable in 3 different situations:

#1: You put down a deposit but cannot come to an agreement on price, therefore the deposit is refunded.
#2: You put down a deposit but cannot get approved on credit, therefore the deposit is refunded.
#3: You put down a deposit, come to agreement on terms & get OAC, but then lose your job before delivery, therefore financially you are unable to afford the vehicle.

If you came to an agreement on price and then have the finance manager go to work for you, and then later on you just 'decide you don't want the vehicle', maybe you should be thinking about those things before you put down a deposit.

It's not like the vehicle was one of a kind, if you wait a couple days to think about it and it sells, big deal, another one will show up. If you don't know 100% that you want the vehicle, don't put a deposit down, simple as that.

rizfarmer
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I can't believe people let dealerships and low level salesmen scam them out of deposit money. next time take an adult with you.

roopi
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
So did you sign the credit card receipt? It shouldn't matter though. Who do you have your Visa with? I've never had an issue with chargebacks ever so I'm not sure why Visa would say this to you.

Don't give up on this. You need to explain to them that you put a $1000.00 deposit down on a vehicle that you were to purchase (and they stated if the deal wasn't finalized it would be returned) and the deal was not completed. They provided you with no service and no delivery of a vehicle. There is absolutely no way that Visa wouldn't charge this back to Maclin Ford.

I'm shocked that Visa said too bad to you. You may need to clarify the situation.

norbel
03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
MACLIN Ford is a bunch of douchebags. Especially that nerdy manager with glasses. I went there, and was going to purchase 2, yes thats right, 2 trucks from them. That douche wouldn't even give me any kind of deal. I said fine and went to woodridge and purchased 2 f-150's.

Kennyredline
03-04-2011, 07:31 PM
It's too bad they're making enough money to treat someone like this, knowing there's a good chance they'll make waves about it, which can't be good for business.

ACURA44
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi
So did you sign the credit card receipt? It shouldn't matter though. Who do you have your Visa with? I've never had an issue with chargebacks ever so I'm not sure why Visa would say this to you.

Don't give up on this. You need to explain to them that you put a $1000.00 deposit down on a vehicle that you were to purchase (and they stated if the deal wasn't finalized it would be returned) and the deal was not completed. They provided you with no service and no delivery of a vehicle. There is absolutely no way that Visa wouldn't charge this back to Maclin Ford.

I'm shocked that Visa said too bad to you. You may need to clarify the situation.
I refuse to give up! i asked the salesman. "is this going to be an issue if i want my deposit back?" he said, and was hesitant to say so "i don't see why not" and that's why i never went to see the finance guy. who on the phone said i need to come in and sign some forms to get me approval.

Redlyne_mr2
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Why didnt you buy the truck?

Doozer
03-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Something's not right here. I hate to say it, but sounds like a classic case of buyer's remorse, and the very reason some businesses try to get deposits.

If the dealership won't give it back, they must think they have a case. If VISA won't refund it, they must also think the dealership has a case, and this is based purely on whatever the OP told them on the phone.

I definitely root for the customer in most cases, but something doesn't seem right with this. Hope you get it sorted.

revelations
03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
.... i felt the truck was just to much money and didn't want it.

For those who missed it.

kvg
03-04-2011, 09:05 PM
^Buyers remorse^

lachris
03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
As long as the dealership didn't lose money they don't have a leg to stand on and they NEED to give you your money back. I used to work in sales and the sale wasn't concluded until they are in their new car and drove it off the the lot.

I had the same situation. I had a customer interested in a BMW he left a $1000.00 deposit. He said he wanted to the car and that it was a done deal, but when he came in to look at it, he decided it was too much money and backed out. Because we didn't lose money on the deal. (ie after market mods on the car on pre-delivery) we had to refund his money.

Don't give up.

HiTempguy1
03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
To the OP:

They are legally obligated to give you your deposit back in Alberta. Also, with the signing of any contract there is a 14 day cool down period where you can back out.

Go in (which you should of done in the first place, duh) and demand (nicely) your money back. If not, file a suit in small claims court (which you can do yourself for nothing but your time and effort). I will repeat, BY LAW THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK. They can not have a policy which states otherwise.

If you go in there and make a big enough deal, they will give you your money back. Simple as that.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2011, 11:11 PM

kvg
03-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Shit like this gives the auto industry a bad name, it's too bad. I have met and am friends with alot of good honest people in the biz. Don't dealerships understand posts like this one will make people avoid their business and shop elsewhere? For a deposit? :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
03-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Its just as much the dealers fault as it is the OPs. Not to sound like a prick but you're an adult OP, why give money to secure a car you don't want?

TorqueDog
03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
OP sounds like an idiot.

heavyD
03-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Cut your losses and put the $1000 towards a 412 hp 2011 Mustang GT. Problem solved.

tom_9109
03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
I say all beyonds go in and pretend to be buyers and waste the sales peoples time for the next 12 months. Sign nothing and give no CC. just waste their time.

zipdoa
03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
To the OP:

They are legally obligated to give you your deposit back in Alberta. Also, with the signing of any contract there is a 14 day cool down period where you can back out.

I will repeat, BY LAW THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK. They can not have a policy which states otherwise.

I'm curious to where you're getting your information?

I have never heard of a law that says 'no matter what you get your deposit back'.

ACURA44
03-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
I say all beyonds go in and pretend to be buyers and waste the sales peoples time for the next 12 months. Sign nothing and give no CC. just waste their time.
i like it! lol see Myles he is great!

kvg
03-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

I'm curious to where you're getting your information?

I have never heard of a law that says 'no matter what you get your deposit back'.

If they haven't taken delivery you get it back.
Edit: I'm pretty sure its an amvic thing

revelations
03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
To the OP:

Go in (which you should of done in the first place, duh) and demand (nicely) your money back. If not, file a suit in small claims court (which you can do yourself for nothing but your time and effort). I will repeat, BY LAW THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK. They can not have a policy which states otherwise.

If you go in there and make a big enough deal, they will give you your money back. Simple as that.

Cite your sources please - here is AMVIC

BUT .... if OP signed no purchase agreement then yes, he should be able to get his money back.

Q. I just bought a vehicle but have changed my mind. Can I cancel the deal and get my deposit back?

* Under normal circumstances, no. Your car purchase agreement is a legal contract.
* The only exception is if the agreement was signed with conditions: e.g. the vehicle must pass an inspection first or suitable financing had to be available.
* Speak to the dealer. They may be willing to work out an arrangement concerning the agreement but will probably keep the deposit.

http://www.amvic.org/consumer_issues.htm

ACURA44
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I will have to wait and see what AMIC and the BBB come up with. if they tell me to pound salt then so be it! at least i will get the word out about how Maclin chooses to do business.

ACURA44
03-05-2011, 01:30 PM
also i'm pretty sure that they have to provide me with a bill of sale with terms and conditions. and some kind of paperwork. I have nothing.

revelations
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Did you you sign a purchase agreement?

You might not see any paperwork until after possession.

zipdoa
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by kvg

If they haven't taken delivery you get it back.
Edit: I'm pretty sure its an amvic thing

It's not. The vehicle sale isn't final until it rolls over the curb, but if he signed a bill of sale and didn't specifically state terms of deposit otherwise, the bill of sale likely states that the deposit is non-refundable.

I stated the main conditions under which a deposit is refunded. If OP never even signed a bill of sale, then I would agree he should get the deposit refunded. If he signed a bill of sale and reached an agreement on price, then it probably states the conditions of deposit right on the bill of sale.

88CRX
03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
If you signed nothing then how can they proove it's a legit charge to your credit card?

HiTempguy1
03-05-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-191-1999/latest/alta-reg-191-1999.html

For the guy questioning me :facepalm:

Note "car sales" is not in the exemption category.

And I am not saying this is a surefire way either, but like I said, show them the rules and make a scene. For the $1k, they will gladly give it back if you start an issue in front of other potential customers. It just doesn't make business sense.

Of course, it is RIDICULOUS of you to have not gotten in writing that the deposit is refundable (if that is the case).

revelations
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-191-1999/latest/alta-reg-191-1999.html

Note "car sales" is not in the exemption category.

And I am not saying this is a surefire way either, but like I said, show them the rules and make a scene. For the $1k, they will gladly give it back if you start an issue in front of other potential customers. It just doesn't make business sense.

Of course, it is RIDICULOUS of you to have not gotten in writing that the deposit is refundable (if that is the case).

This is probably getting into lawyer-speak now but there is no mention of a "deposit" as such in the CanLii section you quoted.

Refund of a purchase is, but the specific case for the OP deals with a deposit which, IMO falls outside the range of that section - but im no expert either :dunno:

AMVIC deals with this directly.

kvg
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
A deposit is money going towards a purchase.:dunno:

Weapon_R
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM

This is where reading the entire statute, and not quoting certain sections, helps to clarify the matter. The section you left out provides us with definitions as to what a "direct sales contract" is.

In order to fall under this section, the transaction must have been one which isß "a consumer transaction that is a contract, other than a time share contract, in which

(i) the consideration for the goods or services exceeds an amount specified in the regulations, and

(ii) the contract is negotiated or concluded in person at a place other than the supplier’s place of business or at a place other than a market place, auction, trade fair, agricultural fair or exhibition

The legislative intent of this section permits consumers to cancel a contract which was negotiated outside of the vendors place of business. if a consumer specifically goes to a merchant and contracts to purchase a product or service, this does not apply.

94boosted
03-05-2011, 07:14 PM
This is why if your not absolutely certain you write a clause that says subject to wife/girlfriend/mom/dad approval. I've done this when buying a car and when I used to sell cars I've seen it done many a times.

To the OP good luck in getting your money back I hope you do. I've never been a big fan of Maclin.

ddduke
03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Well I will have to wait and see what AMIC and the BBB come up with. if they tell me to pound salt then so be it! at least i will get the word out about how Maclin chooses to do business.

BBB won't do shit. They're a joke. They'll make you write your side of the story, then Maclin will write theirs and hope the parties will come up with a solution to the problem. 99% of the time they don't. BBB can't force anyone to do anything.

BBB is the most useless organization I've ever heard of.

zipdoa
03-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

This is where reading the entire statute, and not quoting certain sections, helps to clarify the matter. The section you left out provides us with definitions as to what a "direct sales contract" is.

In order to fall under this section, the transaction must have been one which isß "a consumer transaction that is a contract, other than a time share contract, in which

(i) the consideration for the goods or services exceeds an amount specified in the regulations, and

(ii) the contract is negotiated or concluded in person at a place other than the supplier’s place of business or at a place other than a market place, auction, trade fair, agricultural fair or exhibition

The legislative intent of this section permits consumers to cancel a contract which was negotiated outside of the vendors place of business. if a consumer specifically goes to a merchant and contracts to purchase a product or service, this does not apply.

This.

Thank you for doing the hard work for me.

G-ZUS
03-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

BBB won't do shit. They're a joke. They'll make you write your side of the story, then Maclin will write theirs and hope the parties will come up with a solution to the problem. 99% of the time they don't. BBB can't force anyone to do anything.

BBB is the most useless organization I've ever heard of.

:werd: And so is AMVIC, but that is just IMO.

KandabashiDevil
03-06-2011, 06:48 PM
While being pressured into purchasing a used 2008 Ford F150 ....

I stopped reading right there.

Don't make it seem like you were an elementary kid being pushed into the broom closet by a horny janitor. It's a dealership, and it's their job to sell you vehicles. You should have gotten it in writing. Read everything you sign.

JordanAndrew
03-07-2011, 01:10 AM
good luck to you OP. I almost got in the same situation not to long ago but I've bought a few cars in the past and know when they are trying to to get that sale. definitely a good lesson learned.

FraserB
03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Just stand outside the dealership with a sign that reads "Maclin Ford scammed me on a new truck" and you'll have the deposit in a few days.

ddduke
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Just stand outside the dealership with a sign that reads "Maclin Ford scammed me on a new truck" and you'll have the deposit in a few days.

Haha, this would definitely work. If you don't want to be the one standing out front then I'll rent you a labourer for cost to do it.

zipdoa
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Still waiting to see if OP had signed a bill of sale!

OzzyOzzman
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
I bought an F-150 last fall from Maclin.

A few things I didn't like:

1) I paid for to get the Undercoating, and they did a really shitty job. They missed quite a few spots. It looks they didn't lift the truck to spray it underneath.
I friend of mine told me this is very common issue with Maclin ford. He owns a truck accessory company and showed me a lot of pictures of trucks that have not been done properly at Maclin.
I talked to Maclin and they won't do much.

2) The finance manager told me my payments were going to come out on the first of every month (I have his emails as proof) and later my first payment came out on the 27. The finance manager said he never said anything to me. I was contacted by the Regional manager and I have forwarded all the emails but I haven't heard anything yet.

ACURA44
03-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Still waiting to see if OP had signed a bill of sale!
I did sign a worksheet. That had the price on it. But the price and payments had changed. And I never should I've gotten approval for the financing, as I never went in to talk to him, only inthe phone. The finace guy said I need to sign a few forms to get the approval. I understand that I should not have signed the worksheet but i still never revived a copy or anything for that matter.

ACURA44
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Bottom line is. I asked the salesman if it would be annissue if I needed to get my deposit back, and he said no.

ercchry
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Bottom line is. I asked the salesman if it would be annissue if I needed to get my deposit back, and he said no.

really? thats what he said? you sure?

While being pressured into purchasing a used 2008 Ford F150, when the salesman asked for a credit card to secure the vehicle, i asked if it was going to be an issue if i wanted to get my deposit back, he stated that it should be ok as long as i was honest.

chkolny541
03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
^^:confused: :confused:

ercchry
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
^^:confused: :confused:

second quote is from his original post... if he is honest getting a refund should not be an issue... that is a little different than what he has now stated of it not being an issue to be refunded the deposit...

bart
03-07-2011, 06:29 PM
i know vw and audi take deposits and they are fully refundable if you change your mind for a car you are thinking about ordering. you get your money back in case you decide to change your mind and do not want to buy it.

vw charges 500-1000$, audi takes $2500.

it sounds funny a deposit being refundable eh? but it's just to filter out the non-serious people...

zipdoa
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bart
i know vw and audi take deposits and they are fully refundable if you change your mind for a car you are thinking about ordering. you get your money back in case you decide to change your mind and do not want to buy it.

vw charges 500-1000$, audi takes $2500.

it sounds funny a deposit being refundable eh? but it's just to filter out the non-serious people...

Interesting. I wonder how many times they've been fucked over after a vehicle is already in transit from the factory. It would get awfully expensive bringing in vehicles and then refunding a buyers deposit when things go sour.

What's to stop someone from ordering 10 cars from Audi/VW, waiting until they're in transit, getting their deposit back, and then laughing as the dealer eats up all the costs?

Or did you mean you can put down a deposit, think about ordering the vehicle, and then make a decision at some point? Either way, doesn't make a lot of sense.

ACURA44
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
If I ordered this truck then wanted Out I would expect them to keep the deposit. But the truck I was looking at was a used one and it was the next day that I didn't want to go through with financing

bart
03-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Interesting. I wonder how many times they've been fucked over after a vehicle is already in transit from the factory. It would get awfully expensive bringing in vehicles and then refunding a buyers deposit when things go sour.

What's to stop someone from ordering 10 cars from Audi/VW, waiting until they're in transit, getting their deposit back, and then laughing as the dealer eats up all the costs?

Or did you mean you can put down a deposit, think about ordering the vehicle, and then make a decision at some point? Either way, doesn't make a lot of sense.

the deposit is only refundable before you place an order. if you want to secure a car, or you put your name on a list for a car that is about to come out and you want to be the 1st one to get it, you put down a deposit. but if you change your mind prior to actually finalizing an order, you get your money back.

you can't get it back if they are already building it for you at the factory...

Xtrema
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM

As long as you don't do exclusive colors, or custom options, you are ok. It doesn't hurt them much since they have quite a healthy margin.

ACURA44
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Amvic is going in tomorrow. I will post the results after.

zipdoa
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Amvic is going in tomorrow. I will post the results after.

Again, if you signed a Bill of sale and finance got you OAC, you're SOL.

If you didn't sign a BoS or you signed one and explicitly wrote "Deposit refundable if I have buyers remorse", then you're in the clear.

revelations
03-09-2011, 02:07 PM

I did sign a worksheet. That had the price on it. But the price and payments had changed. And I never should I've gotten approval for the financing, as I never went in to talk to him, only inthe phone. The finace guy said I need to sign a few forms to get the approval. I understand that I should not have signed the worksheet but i still never revived a copy or anything for that matter.

What is your definition of a "work sheet"? To me it sounds like a bill of sale.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/Car-Bill-of-Sale-Printable.jpg

davesparky6
03-11-2011, 08:34 AM
In this case it seems the deposit was only in place to hold the vehicle, NOT as a purchase deposit. At the end of the day, no bill of sale was signed, no mechanical inspection was done and no credit report was done.
It's one thing for dealerships to mark vehicles up like crazy, that's how they make their money. But to pull this type of shit just to make a grand is ridiculous.
These are the same dealerships that give you the "We like to build long term relationships with our customers through trust" line.
:thumbsdow

ACURA44
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Well AMVIC went in, and managed to get me half of my deposit back. and for that i would like to thank them. Todd Allen was a pleasure to deal with and was very thorough.

I think it was just to make it so that it would not worth going to small claims. but at any rate. it was a eye opening experience.

If I've learned nothing else its that Myles Nordlund is a salesman and will say anything just to get you sucked in.

Dale Byrnes the General Sales Manager, made some very rude and unprofessional comments on the phone. but did offer the $500 after AMVIC talked to him. and fot that i thank him.

Gord Griffiths the Sales Manager also had no intent to do anything.

Shelley McCullough the President of the dealership would not even return my calls.

thank you to everyone who took the time to read my story and post your thoughts.

googe
03-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds like they are a bunch of worthless scammers, sort of like South Deerfoot Suzuki. Stealing deposits is lame, especially if it is a car on the lot.

No reputable dealer will do this unless they've incurred serious costs (such as ordering or shipping a vehicle that they otherwise would not have). Even then, most realize it is not worth burning a customer for life on, since they can probably sell to someone else.

Of course, you should not sign things like "worksheets" (there is simply no reason to ever do this) but that is no excuse for them to be dishonest and predatory.

Unless you are buying a rare car that you can never find elsewhere, or are custom ordering something (which is usually dumb too), never ever give a deposit.

You should post a quick writeup on ripoffreport.com as well. South Deerfoot Suzuki has a page there too.

veedubin69
03-13-2011, 02:54 PM
I could understand if the truck was NEW or had to be ORDERED but not when it's old stock. I tought Maclin was a family business.

Gratz on using the regulatory council! AMVIC always responds to complaints.

miguex
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.maclinford.com/en/info/team/index.spy?catid=979

the awesome team! :D

ZyaL8R
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Hey buddy, I got my mustang from them and agreed - they're
shady as fuck. That worksheet, its not a bill of sale, its
just a paper with some fill in the blanks. No contract or
anything. Did they give you one of those free oil changes cards
too? Beware, that's a fuckin scam too. The oil is free, the
Labour is 35 bucks.

Fuck maclin man

big A
03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
My next purchase was going to be there because their RYR would give me more for my vehicle than I could sell it for but solely because of this thread I will not buy from them.

I won't buy from marlborough again for my own reasons.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/301623/the-dishonesty-at-marlborough-ford/

If a person still wants to buy a ford I think someone reffered a dealership in my old thread.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Why do people insist on going to dealerships unprepared?

As someone said before, next time, take an adult with you, someone who can prevent you from being "forced" to sign anything.

There is no reason to sign ANYTHING until you are ready to buy, have agreed on the price, the details, and you can afford the car.

jhynes
03-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello Beyond Bloggers,
Josh Hynes here, Director of Sales. For over 94 Years Maclin Ford has been doing honest business in Calgary. We have thousands of satisfied customers how do fair business with us year after year.
Maclin has been involved in the community year after year for such great causes such as, In From the Cold, The Cancer Society, The Parkinsons Society, The Food Bank, the Salvation Army and many more. We care about Calgary.
As well Maclin Ford has always been a huge supporter of Sport and has been involved with Amateur Hockey, Baseball, Drag racing, Chuckwagon Racing, Basketball and much much more.
Also, Maclin is in good standing with AMVIC and abides by its rules.
We are not perfect and from time to time we make a mistakes. We strive for customer satisfaction and are always willing to work towards solutions. In the situation involving Acura44 we did nothing wrong.
Recently we were attacked Acura44 who also works for a local car dealership. It is interesting that many people will believe everything they hear. For those of you who could sense what was really happened we thank you. For the unhappy customer comments, we are sorry to hear you feel that way. If there is anything we can do to make you happy let me know.
I would personally like to welcome any Beyonder down to Maclin and see how we do business. We specialize in Low km, premium condition Import and Domestic vehicles. Ken Block drives a Ford now people! Our dealership is fair and honest and will always be. We just delivered a really nice Acura MDX Elite on Saturday funny enough. We arent just a Ford store you know.Come see why we have one of the fastest turning inventories in Calgary. Maclin Ford Rocks!
Josh Hynes
Director of Sales
Maclin Ford, Calgary
www.maclinford.com

A790
03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by jhynes
Hello Beyond Bloggers,
Josh Hynes here, Director of Sales. For over 94 Years Maclin Ford has been doing honest business in Calgary. We have thousands of satisfied customers how do fair business with us year after year.
Maclin has been involved in the community year after year for such great causes such as, In From the Cold, The Cancer Society, The Parkinsons Society, The Food Bank, the Salvation Army and many more. We care about Calgary.
As well Maclin Ford has always been a huge supporter of Sport and has been involved with Amateur Hockey, Baseball, Drag racing, Chuckwagon Racing, Basketball and much much more.
Also, Maclin is in good standing with AMVIC and abides by its rules.
We are not perfect and from time to time we make a mistakes. We strive for customer satisfaction and are always willing to work towards solutions. In the situation involving Acura44 we did nothing wrong.
Recently we were attacked Acura44 who also works for a local car dealership. It is interesting that many people will believe everything they hear. For those of you who could sense what was really happened we thank you. For the unhappy customer comments, we are sorry to hear you feel that way. If there is anything we can do to make you happy let me know.
I would personally like to welcome any Beyonder down to Maclin and see how we do business. We specialize in Low km, premium condition Import and Domestic vehicles. Ken Block drives a Ford now people! Our dealership is fair and honest and will always be. We just delivered a really nice Acura MDX Elite on Saturday funny enough. We arent just a Ford store you know.Come see why we have one of the fastest turning inventories in Calgary. Maclin Ford Rocks!
Josh Hynes
Director of Sales
Maclin Ford, Calgary
www.maclinford.com
Hi Josh;

I've been doing reputation management for firms for a few years and can tell you right now that a generic, canned response like this is not a sufficient reply.

Some more insight into your end of the situation would make more sense. How have you done nothing wrong here? Stating this as fact without offering a more detailed explanation does little to quell apprehensions that may exist.

Just some advice.

bjstare
03-13-2011, 11:03 PM
*snip*
Josh Hynes
Director of Sales
Maclin Ford, Calgary
www.maclinford.com

Haha awesome. Almost no relevant information for the issue at hand.

Also, what the hell does Ken Block being behind the wheel of a Ford have to do with anything??:rofl:

jhynes
03-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Hello A790,
Thanks for the feedback. I am a newbie at the blogging. The point is we deserve to be heard as well. I love the car business and we love selling cars and trucks to Calgarians. We always try to be fair. We will roll out the red carpet for anyone.

revelations
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
^ How about explaining your side of the story Mr. Hynes.

revelations
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Also, what the hell does Ken Block being behind the wheel of a Ford have to do with anything??:rofl:

Isnt he some american guy who races rally cars but is getting pwned by all the Europeans?

sneek
03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Myles Nordlund

I think I've met this guy before! He drives a Mustang (and he hates winter tires haha!)

He honestly is the most typical used car salesman of all time. It felt very sketchy dealing with him :thumbsdow. Regardless of who it was, they pretty much told me if we didn't get every single option we would get taken to the cleaners on the used car market.

My friend ended up getting a car from Woodridge Ford, where things have been good so far :thumbsup:

e31
03-14-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm wonder if Jhynes is a troll poster, or just really naive; see what I drive: 2009 BMW 335... Great car if you hate Fords.

Anyway, in case that post really is from someone at Maclin Ford, you better smarten up and respond meaningfully. Doing otherwise will just lump you in with your neighbors Eastside Dodge and how they sold a lemon, as well as South Deerfoot Suzuki and how they are overall scumbags.

As far as I am concerned this kind of publicity keeps auto dealers honest; so I would encourage anyone who has had legitimate problems to come forward.

bjstare
03-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Isnt he some american guy who races rally cars but is getting pwned by all the Europeans?

Yes. He also spends time making videos to promote his shoe company. haha

Ashers
03-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Ironically, I had a fairly decent experience getting my Escape at Maclin... quick, and easy, and they found what I wanted and gave me a good price. However, the after sales support has been terrible.

Case in point, I had to drive my Escape for 3 weeks with a non-functioning drivers airbag (I was not told it was the drivers airbag until they replaced it and the coil spring, I was initially told that there was a non functioning airbag in the vehicle and refused to tell me which one it was.) When I complained about the airbag fault and having to drive it, I was told that "Vehicles 20 years ago did not have airbags". They refused to give me transportation and advised that Ford was not liable for any injuries that happened. Insult to injury, after the work was done to it, my steering column rattles when adjusted all the way up (I'm 6'3") and the gear shifter rattles.

Also, the Center High Mount Stop Lamp cracked in half and the washer nozzle then fell out. I was advised that it could not be covered under warranty as it is considered to be "Trim". Had to pay 60 bucks out of my own pocket for a new one.

My Air Conditioner blows warm in the summer, however it is considered normal as I bought the 4 cylinder.

Shuttle Service is decent, they'll give me a ride home to Symons Valley, but I have to take a few buses and the Dalhousie C-Train to Chinook to get picked up.

Ok, rant over.

bart
03-14-2011, 01:57 AM
no lol warm air is not normal for any a/c if it's working correctly. i know someone with a 1.4L ford fusion in europe dinky little engine and the a/c is super cold

spikerS
03-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Hello Beyond Bloggers,
Josh Hynes here, *snip*

No Josh, YOU are wrong!

and just so you know, advertising on Beyond when you are not a paid sponsor is against forum rules. By not responding to your customer's complaints directly, you have just reinforced the stereotype that car salesmen are for the most part, low life scum sucking shysters!

I had booked an appointment to go and test drive a Ford Edge at maclin on Tuesday after seeing them at the auto show. Guess what I am going to cancel in the morning? And do you know why? Because of the shit that you posted on here. Feel free to tell Zee personally if you like, since he was the one the was talking to us when my wife, daughter and I came to check them out. Glad to see that you take customer service so seriously.

davesparky6
03-14-2011, 08:44 AM
^^^ This, Maclin was better off before they responded... At least when they hadn't said anything, there was an assumption that they had a good explanation. After reading their generic "I always help old ladies" comments it's clear that they were blatantly stealing this guys deposit.
Crooks...

Kloubek
03-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Honestly, Josh, nobody should have made you a director of anything. Your response read as a poorly-timed ad, as opposed to a response to the situation at hand - and accomplished only one thing: To make it obvious you are more concerned about selling more vehicles than you are satisfying those who have previously dealt with your business.

While the mention that the OP works at another dealership seems suspect, how about explaining *how* he is wrong, and how your dealership did nothing wrong?

In defense of this business, the BBB *does* rate them an A+. That has to account for something. With this said, I truly have no idea how they've managed to achieve this with someone like Josh in management.

jhynes
03-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Ashers
Ironically, I had a fairly decent experience getting my Escape at Maclin... quick, and easy, and they found what I wanted and gave me a good price. However, the after sales support has been terrible.

Case in point, I had to drive my Escape for 3 weeks with a non-functioning drivers airbag (I was not told it was the drivers airbag until they replaced it and the coil spring, I was initially told that there was a non functioning airbag in the vehicle and refused to tell me which one it was.) When I complained about the airbag fault and having to drive it, I was told that "Vehicles 20 years ago did not have airbags". They refused to give me transportation and advised that Ford was not liable for any injuries that happened. Insult to injury, after the work was done to it, my steering column rattles when adjusted all the way up (I'm 6'3") and the gear shifter rattles.

Also, the Center High Mount Stop Lamp cracked in half and the washer nozzle then fell out. I was advised that it could not be covered under warranty as it is considered to be "Trim". Had to pay 60 bucks out of my own pocket for a new one.

My Air Conditioner blows warm in the summer, however it is considered normal as I bought the 4 cylinder.

Shuttle Service is decent, they'll give me a ride home to Symons Valley, but I have to take a few buses and the Dalhousie C-Train to Chinook to get picked up.

Ok, rant over.

jhynes
03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi,
Sorry to hear that. If you are still having problems with your Escape come see me and I will help.