PDA

View Full Version : PCV Valve help

Redlined_8000
05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Hey guys...

So i have a D16 civic on 9lbs of boost.

Problem is that i have had a couple of blown out oil pan gaskets in the past, and have gotten some oil leaks.

I had no idea what was going on, so I went and read up about PCV (positive crankcase pressure) due to blowby.

I noticed my PCV valve was not even connected to my intake manifold, it was just hanging. It was connected to the crankcase, but not to the intake manifold.

Could this be the cause of my oil gasket blows and should i connect it to the manifold??

Picture.....

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f41/RSX250/IMG00150-20110512-2230.jpg

71/454
05-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes it should be hooked up but it needs a check valve to stop it from pressurizing the crankcase under boost. The engine should also have a good breather. If you still have blow by issues you can look into a push pull system for the crank case.

Redlined_8000
05-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 71/454
Yes it should be hooked up but it needs a check valve to stop it from pressurizing the crankcase under boost. The engine should also have a good breather. If you still have blow by issues you can look into a push pull system for the crank case.

The PCV valve is a check valve tho...? Maybe its not build for the pressure tho?

Also for the breather, Can you specify? Is that like a ventilated oil catch can type?

71/454
05-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes, the pcv is sort of a check valve, but not for the way you're using it. You need a valve that allows suction into the engine to evacuate the crankcase under normal driving but blocks boost coming out of it when the turbo is spooled. Older civics use a valve like this in the power brake booster, this is what I use for my pcv.
The engine also needs a good flowing breather to allow the crancase pressure to escape while under boost because the pcv is not creating vacuum to do it. Some people have too much blow by under boost causing oil to spill out of the breather and make a mess. This is sometimes fixed with a catch can, or catch can and push pull system. If you want more info and diagrams of a push pull go to the turboforums and search it.

Redlined_8000
05-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the help.

I found a thread on honda tech im reading up on...

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1199935&page=1