PDA

View Full Version : Beyond, HOW did they break into my car this morning?

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey Beyond,

Just to let the word out that be aware of car thefts around Harvest Hills and Panarama, as my car was broken into between late night Sunday and early morning today. ~$50 taken, nothing else, and no damage occurred as far as my analytic eyes could see. Car was parked on the driveway as well.

But here is something someone here might help me with. The car had no damage exterior or interior, and I was 100% sure I had my car locked and alarmed. I also know for sure the thieves got into the car because they left the glovebox open but nothing else was missing other than the money.

Alarm is a Compustar Pro, and I am certain the alarm siren did not trigger because the car would beep 3 times when I unlock the car if something happened.

Anyone know if the car can be unlocked somehow by just another remote? I'm quite confused about how it happened, because even if I didn't close the door properly (the drivers side door was left semi closed when I saw it in the morning, so I think the thieves left it like that), the car is still locked, and the alarm will be triggered if you pull on the door too hard. So WTF happened?

Thanks for the help, I'm just happy that the car was undamaged and just money was taken.

But, I am very worried that someone can go around unlocking Compustar alarms that easy if that is what really happened.

spikerS
05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
did they pop your hood to disconnect the battery?:dunno:

TomcoPDR
05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Were you drinking last night?

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Battery was definitely NOT disconnected at all, as it would reset my settings on my Touchscreen Deck. I know for a fact it was not disconnected and I checked that this morning as well.

No, I did not drink at all. I was sober as sober can be and know exactly what happened last night in terms of what I did.

GQBalla
05-23-2011, 02:42 PM
you being jacked from the insde

Type_S1
05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Your wife/gf/roommate is taking your shit bro. :burnout:

know1edge
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
maybe they broke your windshield and kindly replaced it for you

Dilmah
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Your wife/gf/roommate is taking your shit bro. :burnout:

This.

Add Kids of the above to the list.

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Hmm.. I dunno guys. Keys were with me the entire time, but I was sleeping so I can't say for certain.

I highly doubt that happened, but I'm also not counting out that something fishy is happening with my alarm. Maybe it's intermittent.

I'm totally confused, because what happened today was really fucked up.

Meh, guess I'll consider myself lucky this time.

AndyL
05-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Are you up on one of the panatellas? If you are shoot me a pm

Code grabber - but double check your door switches (and hatch) unlock them with the key and open with the alarm on... wiring and switches y'know...

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
PMed.

Modelexis
05-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me about a month ago, they took some cash stashed away in the glove box, left the glove box open, and took my aux cable for the deck.

I don't have an alarm though, and I usually lock the car, but I'm not positive that it was locked...

heavyfuel
05-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Funny how every few days it seems there's a new thread about a Beyonder getting jacked...

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 05:57 PM
^^Don't see what's funny about it quite frankly. Theft happens, but sometimes some are stranger than others.

The point of the thread is mainly to find out how this can possible happen if you are 100% sure your car was alarmed and locked.

This was my case.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it was possible that I was code grabbed and someone unlocked my car via transmitter. Bleh, I put it on 'Auto' for now, maybe it will at least alert me when it is unlocked.

heavyfuel
05-23-2011, 06:21 PM
It's not funny, sorry I worded it that way. Just saying...

Mar
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
The Civic is easy to get into, my car's been broken into about 10 times, no damage. Honda really fucked up when they designed how the door meets the body.

As for the alarm, when's the last time you took it in for service? I delete and add all my keys again every time I leave the body shop. As long as someone has your car, they can add a new remote no problem. Then jack it whenever they want.

The way they got around my alarm was just pop the hook and rip the wires out of the siren. I guess they didn't know I had a pager.

Pinner
05-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Who keeps cash in their glovebox and who breaks into a car to take said cash, and how did they know it was there ?

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Mar
The Civic is easy to get into, my car's been broken into about 10 times, no damage. Honda really fucked up when they designed how the door meets the body.

As for the alarm, when's the last time you took it in for service? I delete and add all my keys again every time I leave the body shop. As long as someone has your car, they can add a new remote no problem. Then jack it whenever they want.

The way they got around my alarm was just pop the hook and rip the wires out of the siren. I guess they didn't know I had a pager.
Last time I had it for service was with 'The Wax Shop'. But I don't want to say anything more about them. :rofl:

Man, scary world when people go through all that just to get into your vehicle. :nut:

Originally posted by Pinner
Who keeps cash in their glovebox and who breaks into a car to take said cash, and how did they know it was there ?
Why do thieves need visible reasons to break into a car? The car is tinted and hard to see into at night. For all they knew, nothing was in there. Weird question.

spike98
05-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Last time I had it for service was with 'The Wax Shop'. But I don't want to say anything more about them. :rofl:

Man, scary world when people go through all that just to get into your vehicle. :nut:

Why do thieves need visible reasons to break into a car? The car is tinted and hard to see into at night. For all they knew, nothing was in there. Weird question.

Perhaps it's not wierd at all....

I think what he is getting at is that despite not being visible maybe someone knew it was there. Some close enough to say add another remote.

sillysod
05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.dvdbestonline.com/system_dntb/upload/i_22982_2.jpg

TomcoPDR
05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Teaching you a lesson for writing a poor review.

mowglee
05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
My car was broken into a few months ago (I don't have an alarm). Nothing was damaged and only some small stuff like firecrackers and a cigar were stolen, but the funny thing is that the doors were locked when I got to the car...It was really courteous of the thief to lock my car I guess they didn't want anyone else to break into it :facepalm:

Xtrema
05-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Are you up on one of the panatellas? If you are shoot me a pm

Code grabber - but double check your door switches (and hatch) unlock them with the key and open with the alarm on... wiring and switches y'know...

Is Panatella going through a crime spree?

Stealth22
05-23-2011, 09:21 PM
^ Haven't you heard? District 7 is the new ghetto.

se7en
05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
http://www.dvdbestonline.com/system_dntb/upload/i_22982_2.jpg

fucking awesome show back in the day.

Tik-Tok
05-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by se7en

fucking awesome show back in the day.

Someones getting a raging clue...

http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0004/B4/D9/B4D91770792BAA407A9800_Large.jpg

ddduke
05-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22

This is actually true. When I first started selling projects there around 2005 it was a really nice/clean area.

Now I was driving through the area the other day and I noticed multiple cul de sacs that look exactly like Taradale. The farthest east section is a shit hole now. When I was there last month starting out the season the first thing I noticed is that 75% of the people don't even shovel side walks and there was 10inch thick ice across every driveway.

Disoblige
05-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah, totally going to get my alarm checked out.

Edit:

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Teaching you a lesson for writing a poor review.
Funny thing is that it wasn't really a poor review. It was a review that stated that you got what you paid for, but nothing more :nut:

BlackFyre
05-24-2011, 01:31 AM
I live up in the same area, and have seen groups of kids, both on foot, and in vehicles checking door handles, peering in cars, etc...

Do you live within close proximity to the Mac's in Panorama? If so, I can almost guarantee you I saw the kids that did it that night, they were hanging out outside of the Mac's raising shit, this community used to be a nice place to live.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that someone was able to grab your code, most, if not all Compustar remotes use Code Hopping, similar to the Viper/Clifford models, and the likelihood of someone going through the effort just to steal some cash out of your glovebox is also highly unlikely. I would guess it was someone you know, perhaps using a spare remote. The other possibility is your alarm did go off, and your remote didn't go off, I've had it happen before on my compustar, and didn't know until I went to disarm my car and it chirped multiple times instead of the usual 1 or 2, letting me know that the alarm had gone off.

PM me, and I can let you know the location of the shop I work at, and we can take a look at your alarm for you if you'd like.

Disoblige
05-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by BlackFyre

.. I can almost guarantee you I saw the kids that did it that night, they were hanging out outside of the Mac's raising shit, this community used to be a nice place to live.
PMed.

mr2mike
05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
You left your car doors open?
You sat on your alarm fob and it disarmed?

I'm amazed the # of people who just go down the street checking door handles.

If they were pro car thieves, and managed to override everything, they wouldn't just take some cash and leave. Your whole car would be missing. Think about it.

viff3r
05-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
I had almost the exact same thing happen to me about a month ago, they took some cash stashed away in the glove box, left the glove box open, and took my aux cable for the deck.

I don't have an alarm though, and I usually lock the car, but I'm not positive that it was locked...
Add me to the list of people who've had something similar happen.

A couple years ago when I lived in Dalhousie, I go outside to get in my car (06 civic) and I notice the passenger door is slightly ajar. I open it, and find some stuff missing (change, aux cable) and the litter from a behind-the-seat garbage bag strewn all over. I assume they were looking for bank receipts/credit card slips so they could take the numbers, or something like that. The hood was also popped. If the intruder had popped the trunk they would have found a camera and a bunch of gift bags, because I had been at a birthday party the night before. I figured the hood was popped because he tried to pop the trunk but failed...

I always arm + lock my car. Factory Honda alarm system. I still have no clue how they got in... even if I forgot to lock it, the system auto-arms when you turn the engine off & exit the vehicle. Then if you open a door while it's armed it will honk its fucking brains out, and the Civic horn isn't exactly quiet. I never heard any honking during the night...

stevieo
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by viff3r

I always arm + lock my car. Factory Honda alarm system. I still have no clue how they got in... even if I forgot to lock it, the system auto-arms when you turn the engine off & exit the vehicle. Then if you open a door while it's armed it will honk its fucking brains out, and the Civic horn isn't exactly quiet. I never heard any honking during the night...

the factory honda alarm only auto arms it if you press unlock and don't open your doors. it doesn't auto lock your doors if yuo turn off the gas and exit the car.

BensonTT
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Edit comment! Hope you find the fuker

Kloubek
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
^ Yeah, real funny.

I'd still be pissed if the guy who broke into my truck last month wasn't already in jail...

Disoblige
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
He misunderstood my comment when I was actually complimenting him in his thread. I'll give him a chance to edit his post.

Mar
05-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Did you figure out how to delete remotes from the system? I've been crazy busy with work but I can post it here.

Get in, make sure parking brake is up, foot is not on brake and car is off.
Insert key into ignition, then cycle through turning key on/off 5 times without starting the car and do it with rhythm, not too fast and not too slow. Like once per 1.5 seconds.
The system will chirp to let you know it's in program mode and now all remotes are deleted, hit button 1 on any remote you want to add.

This is from memory, it should be mostly correct if not completely. I'm not sure if the fifth time you should leave the key on or off, can't remember.

CHICHARITZHI
05-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22

http://d3leiopmu8gif9.cloudfront.net/images/2-1385-paul-the-alien.jpg

v2kai
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
well this thread confirms the necessity to install a night cam watching my car. I'm up in that area and my dealextreme order couldnt have come through any sooner. If I catch anything suspicious on my cam I'll post it up.

Mar
05-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
well this thread confirms the necessity to install a night cam watching my car. I'm up in that area and my dealextreme order couldnt have come through any sooner. If I catch anything suspicious on my cam I'll post it up.

I've been looking at the cameras on dealextreme.com for 3 years, thinking about it. Post some images and let me know how you like it.

Disoblige
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Did you figure out how to delete remotes from the system? I've been crazy busy with work but I can post it here.

Get in, make sure parking brake is up, foot is not on brake and car is off.
Insert key into ignition, then cycle through turning key on/off 5 times without starting the car and do it with rhythm, not too fast and not too slow. Like once per 1.5 seconds.
The system will chirp to let you know it's in program mode and now all remotes are deleted, hit button 1 on any remote you want to add.

This is from memory, it should be mostly correct if not completely. I'm not sure if the fifth time you should leave the key on or off, can't remember.
I'm going to do it, but I'm going to make sure the steps are 100% correct before I do it heh.. Last thing I want is to be disabled and have no remote work.

Mar
05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
I can tell you this....I'm 100% sure that whenever you get to the stage where it deletes the remotes, you definitely just have to hit button 1 to program new remotes. DEFINITELY. So there's no chance to not having a remote programmed, go try it.

v2kai
05-26-2011, 12:33 AM
this is the extent of the setup I bought from dealextreme

usb audio and video capture.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/easycap-usb-video-capture-adapter-5707

camera
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterproof-night-vision-ir-30-led-camera-ntsc-dc-12v-500ma-15757

camera powersupply
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ac-to-dc-12v-1a-power-adaptor-with-5-4mm-dc-plug-us-type-110-240v-15989

downloaded a surveillance software that has motion tracking, loop recording and all the other goodies. dedicated my netbook to surveillance duty for now.

only a single camera for my setup aimed directly at my car and parking spot.

if you read the reviews and check out the pictures associated with the camera you get a pretty good idea of what youre buying. Nothing crazy but for the price, cant be beat for a simple quick setup. day time image is good, night time is also not bad at least for for my needs.

what i'm likely going to do down the road to upgrade to HD is modify one of the nicer HD webcams and build a custom waterproof enclosure and substitute that in as my camera with a new IR night vision grid.

another cheap option

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/09/27/how-to-use-your-pc-and-webcam-as-a-motion-detecting-and-recording-security-camera/

maxwinedog
05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Sounds like ure alarm failed to go off. Mine goes off right away all the time and it is LOUD!!! I have an autostart one, just basic 1 way.

manny18
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Dude, you didn't lock it. That's your problem. Now stop the discussion.

alloroc
05-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by manny18
Dude, you didn't lock it. That's your problem. Now stop the discussion.

There is a group that goes from neighborhood to neighborhood in the summer months going from car to car to see if any are unlocked.

See someone walking the street late at night (past 1:00 AM) with a backpack phone the cops.

maxwinedog
05-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh and another tip dont leave a single coin in ure cup holder. Youd ne surprised what some will do for their morning timmies.

And what you guys think about gps? Are they targets for thieves? Is gps something that should be put away?

Guillermo
05-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by maxwinedog
And what you guys think about gps? Are they targets for thieves? Is gps something that should be put away?

are you dumb?