PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Block Heater Cord

Seanith
01-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Is this easy to do? Canadian tire has cords that they sell right? Are they all pretty much the same? I don't know what the plug in to the block heater looks like.. if anyone has information about this let me know. My plug got fux0red so i have to replace it. Thanks.

hockeybronx
01-25-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure that you can replace the cord, it depends if the power cord plugs into the block heater or is encased inside of it. You may have to take the block heater out of your car, open it up and put a new cord in place of where the broken one is now.

Who knows you might even need to buy a new block heater, how did you cord get "fux0red", whatever the hell that means.

nismodrifter
01-25-2004, 01:21 AM
not sure of how hard it is to do this on a civic but when I had to do it on the pathfinder it was NOT fun to install. It's not hard or anything, its just getting your hand up into SUCH a small place and trying to plug it in (it's like trying to plug something into a wall socket when there is JUST enough room to plug it in) I ended up removing the drivers side tire and then my dad had to reach his arm through the plastic cover in the wheel well and then somehow manage to plug it in (my arm was not long enough :D)

I THINK most plugs are the same but don't quote me on that, installation is annoying.....not difficult by any means though

Seanith
01-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Ok thanks guys. I don't think it is encased in the block heater, so it sounds like it will just be a bitch to get the end that plugs into the block heater plugged in.

BTW it got fucked because it was dragging on the road :(

97GSR
01-25-2004, 02:12 PM
You could always just throw another plug end on the cord....if there is enough to do so. That is a nice quick fix that isn't hard to do at all.

FiveFreshFish
01-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 97GSR
You could always just throw another plug end on the cord....if there is enough to do so. That is a nice quick fix that isn't hard to do at all.

:werd: It's so much cheaper to do this. Replacement plug ends are available at any hardware store.

Seanith
01-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

:werd: It's so much cheaper to do this. Replacement plug ends are available at any hardware store.

hmm didn't think of this. Anyways, i looked at it, and i didn't think i could get to the plug since it was behind the block in an obscure place below the TB. So i paid my mechanic $20 and he gave me a new cord and changed it for me. Thanks for the help guys.

nismodrifter
01-25-2004, 03:26 PM
yeh if your CABLE was not wrecked you could have just slapped another plug end on there.....

Seanith
01-25-2004, 03:33 PM
damn oh well, a lesson learned i guess.