Beyond.ca - Car Forums



Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics

 
Fuck Bell Mobility - Click HERE for Original Thread

kvg
So my sister has an iPhone that she bought outright from bell mobility, paying full price(not under contract)!!! She just got an new 4s and wanted the old phone unlocked so she could give it away to her niece who is expecting it and has been so excited! They won't unlock it! Just because her phone is on a different network, she cannot use the phone! Their excuse..."Apple doesn't let us" Then why does Fido allow this unlock for a fee of $50???? My sister would gladly pay that to pass on this useful device to someone who has been looking forward to it for so long! And Apple seems to have no knowledge of this rule that they supposedly imposed on Bell Mobility customers! This is their way of limiting a customers choices. Making it so you cannot switch from one network to another! My Sister is now thinking of switching over to a network that doesn't try to trap its customers, even though she has been a loyal customer for a number of years.
03ozwhip
Telus does the same thing, they dont have the unlock codes for the iphones.
bastardchild
Every provider is like this, not only Bell. Isn't it fairly easy to unlock an iPhone? I usually unlock my phones for like $5 using an eBay code.
mazda_maniac
That the Canadian market. For the longest time phones with Internet capabilities were altered and held back from their true potential so they could bill you on a per page basis.
kvg
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Telus does the same thing, they dont have the unlock codes for the iphones.




Originally posted by bastardchild
Every provider is like this, not only Bell. Isn't it fairly easy to unlock an iPhone? I usually unlock my phones for like $5 using an eBay code.




I phoned fido when I gave away my old iPhone and they did it over the phone for a $50 charge

Xtrema
The quicker we can train people to only buy unlock phones, the quicker we get rid of telco's hold on the market.

Locked phone and contracts are evil.
syritis
I have no idea about the iphone but i agree with the duck bell part. Im sick of these guys and their shirt network.
spike98
I got a iphone unlocked through bell. They WILL do it. They have rules around it however. Phone must be activated for 30 days and you must pay the fee which i believe was $75.

The problem is that with 90% of the CSR's don't know what they hell you are talking about when you want to unlock it. I had to keep calling and calling to get it done. Also, use the story that you are making a trip to somewhere and want to use the phone on a local carrier and you must unlock it to be able to do that. It helped when i was trying to explain to the CSR.

Just be persistent.
adidas
You know, there is plenty of tutorials on youtube that describe the process.
03ozwhip
Originally posted by spike98
I got a iphone unlocked through bell. They WILL do it. They have rules around it however. Phone must be activated for 30 days and you must pay the fee which i believe was $75.

The problem is that with 90% of the CSR's don't know what they hell you are talking about when you want to unlock it. I had to keep calling and calling to get it done. Also, use the story that you are making a trip to somewhere and want to use the phone on a local carrier and you must unlock it to be able to do that. It helped when i was trying to explain to the CSR.

Just be persistent.



ive never seen or heard of bell or telus doing this since the iphones from apple come unlocked and he ihpones you buy through carrier arent so they dont carry the codes.

i know that with telus mobility strictly, however i was almost positive bell did the same thing. how/where did they have the codes to unlock it?

spike98
Originally posted by 03ozwhip


ive never seen or heard of bell or telus doing this since the iphones from apple come unlocked and he ihpones you buy through carrier arent so they dont carry the codes.

i know that with telus mobility strictly, however i was almost positive bell did the same thing. how/where did they have the codes to unlock it?



They aren't codes. Im assuming they add the phones serial number or IMEI to an apple database of phones that are allowed to be in an unlock state. You sync to itunes, itunes queries the server and the device becomes unlocked.

It is MUCH more reliable than a software unlock (jailbreak/ultrasn0w) and its permanent. Also newer iphone 4 basebands cannot be unlocked at the moment.

rage2
Telus does it for $50 and Bell for $75. Just have to keep calling till you get a CSR that's not an idiot.
03ozwhip
Originally posted by spike98


They aren't codes. Im assuming they add the phones serial number or IMEI to an apple database of phones that are allowed to be in an unlock state. You sync to itunes, itunes queries the server and the device becomes unlocked.

It is MUCH more reliable than a software unlock (jailbreak/ultrasn0w) and its permanent. Also newer iphone 4 basebands cannot be unlocked at the moment.



sorry, all other phones have codes t unlock so im used to saying codes, that is what i meant. regardless, i know Telus definitely doesnt have access to it so im wondering why bell does.

aqure591
Why not save the money and do it yourself, its not that difficult to do. Here's some information on how to do it http://www.unlockiphone4help.com/. Hope that helps.


Originally posted by kvg
So my sister has an iPhone that she bought outright from bell mobility, paying full price(not under contract)!!! She just got an new 4s and wanted the old phone unlocked so she could give it away to her niece who is expecting it and has been so excited! They won't unlock it! Just because her phone is on a different network, she cannot use the phone! Their excuse..."Apple doesn't let us" Then why does Fido allow this unlock for a fee of $50???? My sister would gladly pay that to pass on this useful device to someone who has been looking forward to it for so long! And Apple seems to have no knowledge of this rule that they supposedly imposed on Bell Mobility customers! This is their way of limiting a customers choices. Making it so you cannot switch from one network to another! My Sister is now thinking of switching over to a network that doesn't try to trap its customers, even though she has been a loyal customer for a number of years.

03ozwhip
Originally posted by rage2
Telus does it for $50 and Bell for $75. Just have to keep calling till you get a CSR that's not an idiot.



true and false, like i said they do have unlocking codes for all other phones but not the info for the iphones.

kvg
My sister talked to 4 csr's. 2 after she talked to Apple and they still refuse! I would understand if the phone was purchased under contract but it wasn't.
ClearBluewater
Just jailbreak it... holy fuck
kvg
I suck with computers!!!!
03ozwhip
Originally posted by ClearBluewater
Just jailbreak it... holy fuck



like everyone knows how to do this type of shit, chill out.

CapnCrunch
There's a lot of bitching in here about something a retard can do with $5 and 5 minutes of his time.

:drama:
rage2
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
true and false, like i said they do have unlocking codes for all other phones but not the info for the iphones.


http://whatsyourtech.ca/2011/02/08/...nes-for-50-fee/

For Bell, there's no articles pointing to it, but we have our corp phones here done for $75 after 30 days on the network.

For the ppl that keep screaming jailbreak...

1. Most new phones or updated phones can not be software unlocked.
2. Even if you can software unlock it, it's a mess in terms of stability.

Not a good option.

There's no codes for unlocking the iPhone. You pay for the service, and Telus/Bell updates with apple the serial # saying the phone is unlocked, so the next time you restore firmware, it's unlocked through iTunes. You HAVE to restore firmware to unlock it, because it's the only way iTunes goes through the activation process.

03ozwhip
Originally posted by rage2

http://whatsyourtech.ca/2011/02/08/...nes-for-50-fee/

For Bell, there's no articles pointing to it, but we have our corp phones here done for $75 after 30 days on the network.

For the ppl that keep screaming jailbreak...

1. Most new phones or updated phones can not be software unlocked.
2. Even if you can software unlock it, it's a mess in terms of stability.

Not a good option.

There's no codes for unlocking the iPhone. You pay for the service, and Telus/Bell updates with apple the serial # saying the phone is unlocked, so the next time you restore firmware, it's unlocked through iTunes. You HAVE to restore firmware to unlock it.



i see your article, but i can guarantee you, Telus still does not do it for iphones.

rated_R
Originally posted by 03ozwhip


i see your article, but i can guarantee you, Telus still does not do it for iphones.




+1

Telus does not unlock iPhones "due to technology limitations" there are also some other phones that cannot be unlocked if they're locked to telus,

try using a TurboSim

03ozwhip
Originally posted by rated_R



+1

Telus does not unlock iPhones "due to technology limitations" there are also some other phones that cannot be unlocked if they're locked to telus,

try using a TurboSim



LOL you must work for TM.

spikers
Originally posted by 03ozwhip


i see your article, but i can guarantee you, Telus still does not do it for iphones.



Truth. Our apps won't even give us the unlock code for any apple device.

03ozwhip - 1
Rage2 - 0

rage2
Originally posted by spikers
Truth. Our apps won't even give us the unlock code for any apple device.

03ozwhip - 1
Rage2 - 0



I'm not on Telus, so I could be wrong. I know of other ppl on Telus business, and they got their Telus iPhones unlocked. From what I've heard, it can be done, maybe for business only?

Bell, 100% sure it can be done. I'm getting my Bell 4GS unlocked next week, and other ppl have it done already in the company.

Again, there are no codes. It's done through an update to Apple's systems.

kvg
Hey capncrunch, I'll give you $20 and twenty minutes if it's so simple Dr. Talk alot.

Rage, do you happen to know the name of someone I could talk to?
spikers
Originally posted by rage2


I'm not on Telus, so I could be wrong. I know of other ppl on Telus business, and they got their Telus iPhones unlocked. From what I've heard, it can be done, maybe for business only?

Bell, 100% sure it can be done. I'm getting my Bell 4GS unlocked next week, and other ppl have it done already in the company.

Again, there are no codes. It's done through an update to Apple's systems.



Only instance I have seen an unlocked iphone on TELUS that was unlocked natively (not by using a 3rd party unlock service) is when you do a warranty swap or purchase from apple directly.

When you get a device from apple, it comes unlocked. When you insert your carriers sim into it and connect to itunes, it then locks itself to that carrier, so it is only unlocked for a short period.

after that, it needs to be unlocked by a 3rd party company. Telus does not have the unlock codes for apple devices, no matter the customer. In my role at Telus, if there was a way, I would have been informed long before this.

rage2
I'm not in IT anymore, but I can ask my IT guy. We're dealing with business tho so not sure if they can help normal accounts. I would continue calling CSR's until you get one that knows WTF is going on.
Tomaz
Telus phones (iPhone included) can be unlocked, as I own one. So, yes they can. I thought it was part of the new legislation that came out a year or two ago.:dunno:

Anyway, the way I did it was I bought the phone from the apple store instead of a telus dealer. They told me my phone is unlocked. :dunno:
ClearBluewater
I've worked as a CSR for Telus and Bell, and I worked for Telus business side, and they cannot unlock your phone.

Buy a garvey sim or some other overpriced unlocking sim

OR

Jailbreak

Those are your only options

/thread
ClearBluewater
Originally posted by Tomaz
Telus phones (iPhone included) can be unlocked, as I own one. So, yes they can. I thought it was part of the new legislation that came out a year or two ago.:dunno:

Anyway, the way I did it was I bought the phone from the apple store instead of a telus dealer. They told me my phone is unlocked. :dunno:



All phones bought from apple store come unlocked. All phones that come from providers (telus, bell, rogers, etc.) are locked to their network until unlocked.

Another interesting fact is that if you break your phone (within the warranty time) you can go to the apple store and receive a brand new phone, and it will be locked to the same provider you are currently with.

03ozwhip
^^ya tahts not unlocked by telus, all iphones bought from apple are unlocked, once you put a sim in it, then its locked to that carrier.
ClearBluewater
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^ya tahts not unlocked by telus, all iphones bought from apple are unlocked, once you put a sim in it, then its locked to that carrier.



Where are you getting this information from? Factory unlocked phones can be used with any carrier all you have to do is restore the phone in iTunes.

03ozwhip
^^i didnt say it couldnt be unlocked if it came from apple.:dunno:
ClearBluewater
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^i didnt say it couldnt be unlocked if it came from apple.:dunno:



Its really hard to understand what you are trying to say. Your grammar, punctuation and sentence structure needs some work.

;)

03ozwhip
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^ya tahts not unlocked by telus, all iphones bought from apple are unlocked, once you put a sim in it, then its locked to that carrier.



how hard is it to understand that? just because i didnt say it couldnt be unlocked, doesnt mean im wrong. LET ME REPHRASE...

if you buy an iphone from Telus, it is locked to Telus, you cant get it unlocked by Telus.

if you buy it from Apple, its already unlocked to use on whatever network you want. once you put a Telus sim in it, it is LOCKED to Telus, UNLESS you restore it. you CANNOT just plug another sim into it and have it work...

better?

rage2
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
if you buy it from Apple, its already unlocked to use on whatever network you want. once you put a Telus sim in it, it is LOCKED to Telus, UNLESS you restore it. you CANNOT just plug another sim into it and have it work...


This is so wrong haha. I'll post when I have a bit of free time and explain how the iPhone "lock" system works. I'll even post a video of my unlocked iPhone going from Rogers --> a different carrier.

03ozwhip
i dont know the unlocking process on iphones as ive never had an iphone or unlocked one, ive just heard of the restore thing, but i do know for a fact, Telus doesnt unlock them.

with a telus iphone, you cant just put another sim in it and have it work on another carrier...whats wrong about what i just said?
rage2
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i dont know the unlocking process on iphones as ive never had an iphone or unlocked one, ive just heard of the restore thing, but i do know for a fact, Telus doesnt unlock them.

with a telus iphone, you cant just put another sim in it and have it work on another carrier...whats wrong about what i just said?


You said when you plug in a SIM to an unlocked phone, it locks to that carrier. I said you're wrong, and my team is currently making a video with my phone to show you that you're wrong.

Just finishing up on some work here, and I'll post exactly how the iPhone activation system works, in detail, so ppl have a clear understanding of how this shit works.

ClearBluewater
Originally posted by rage2

This is so wrong haha. I'll post when I have a bit of free time and explain how the iPhone "lock" system works. I'll even post a video of my unlocked iPhone going from Rogers --> a different carrier.




Haha thanks rage. I knew i wasn't the only one who thought he had no clue wtf he was talking about.




Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i dont know the unlocking process on iphones as ive never had an iphone or unlocked one , ive just heard of the restore thing, but i do know for a fact, Telus doesnt unlock them.

with a telus iphone, you cant just put another sim in it and have it work on another carrier...whats wrong about what i just said? [/B]




If you know nothing about unlocking iphones why would you post in a thread that is directly related to unlocking an iphone?

interlude
heres a video we just recorded of rage2 hot swapping sims in his unlocked iPhone 4

03ozwhip
im sorry, im using the term lock loosely. if i said that i didnt mean to say that, its quite obvious what an unlocked phone does. THE POINT of the thread is that TELUS DOES NOT UNLOCK IPHONES.
ClearBluewater
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
im sorry, im using the term lock loosely. if i said that i didnt mean to say that, its quite obvious what an unlocked phone does. THE POINT of the thread is that TELUS DOES NOT UNLOCK IPHONES.



I think you are using the term "I meant to say" loosely, I think what you were trying to say is "I was so fucking wrong"

Acceptance is the first step.

interlude
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
im sorry, im using the term lock loosely. if i said that i didnt mean to say that, its quite obvious what an unlocked phone does. THE POINT of the thread is that TELUS DOES NOT UNLOCK IPHONES.



Actually, isn't the point of this thread "Fuck Bell Mobility"?

03ozwhip
Originally posted by interlude


Actually, isn't the point of this thread "Fuck Bell Mobility"?



lol ya it was. anyways, i checked over my posts i see what i did there. i know what im trying to say, you guys said it for me, im wrong in the sense that i totally worded my shit fucked up. sorry.

ClearBluewater
Which brings me to my previously stated point...

Originally posted by ClearBluewater


Its really hard to understand what you are trying to say. Your grammar, punctuation and sentence structure needs some work.

;)

03ozwhip
lol ya ok. jerk.
interlude
Originally posted by 03ozwhip


lol ya it was. anyways, i checked over my posts i see what i did there. i know what im trying to say, you guys said it for me, im wrong in the sense that i totally worded my shit fucked up. sorry.



:thumbsup:

kvg
This is entertaining as fuck you guys:rofl:

My brother has the phone now and is gonna fix it.

But still WTF Bell and now Telus!!!
charlie2
Saw a kiosk at Cross Iron Mills Mall on the weekend, between bass pro and bed bath and beyond. Was some sort of Iphone specialty kiosk, sign said they do jailbreaks and unlocks on site while you wait. Also do custom backings etc. Two young guys running it.

Try that place. Dunno what they charge, don't care. Iphones suck.
tnuc
gevey sim chip or some bs, my friend used it
rated_R
Originally posted by 03ozwhip


LOL you must work for TM.



Haha yes I do

rage2
Alright, typed most of this out last night before work called me in, finishing 'er up this morning. Talked to some ppl last night on their unlocking experience, and here's what I got.

Officially, only Fido, SaskTel, and Rogers unlock phones according to Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

From personal experience, Bell unlocks phones for corporate customers. From a friend's personal experience, Telus unlocks phones for corporate customers.

Now, here's a whole whack of incorrect info for those that are curious how the iPhone locking system works:

Originally posted by spikers
When you get a device from apple, it comes unlocked. When you insert your carriers sim into it and connect to itunes, it then locks itself to that carrier, so it is only unlocked for a short period.


Originally posted by Tomaz
Telus phones (iPhone included) can be unlocked, as I own one. So, yes they can. I thought it was part of the new legislation that came out a year or two ago.:dunno:


Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^ya tahts not unlocked by telus, all iphones bought from apple are unlocked, once you put a sim in it, then its locked to that carrier.


Originally posted by ClearBluewater
Where are you getting this information from? Factory unlocked phones can be used with any carrier all you have to do is restore the phone in iTunes.


The iPhone locking/unlocking system is kinda backwards compared to any other phones. It's Apple's way of ensuring that you can't hack the factory "locks", which in turn makes the process so convoluted for both end users, and CSR's.

With any factory new iPhone, or a restored iPhone, or you've done the "erase all" back to factory fresh, the phone itself is in a state where it won't accept ANY SIM cards. This is why you need to "activate" with iTunes servers. During activation, the phone's IMEI is sent to Apple's iTunes servers, which looks up to see what the phone qualifies for, and sends an activation specific to that phone's encryption keys one of the following:

- Allows for 1 carrier ID
- Allows for multiple carrier IDs (such as Bell/Virgin to allow phones to use both SIMs)
- Allows for all carrier IDs

Because the activation is key'd to an individual phone's specific encryption keys, you can't copy the activation data from my unlocked phone to another phone to unlock it. Since there are no "unlock" codes stored on the phone itself, you can't hack it. It's Apple's hack protection system.

Once the phone is activated, that's it. That activation data doesn't change, since it will never make an activation again, unless the phone is wiped back to a default state.

So, how does one unlock the iPhone? Well, you pay the provider, they have a way to update Apple's IMEI database to note the phone is unlocked, and that's it (sorta). There is no unlock code for the CSRs to give to the end user. It's all updated on Apple's servers.

At this point, your phone is still "locked". You have to wipe it fresh to trigger an activation, which is why you have to do a restore, which essentially backs up the phone, restores the latest firmware, performs and activation, restores your backup and syncs your media. During this activation, the iTunes servers will see your IMEI is marked to get an activation for all carrier ID's, and voila, your phone is now "unlocked". It shows up like this in iTunes:

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

umekoright
Telus does offer iPhone unlocking. Says so on their website. Here's the link:
http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/Unl...ur_device.shtml
G-ZUS
Originally posted by umekoright
Telus does offer iPhone unlocking. Says so on their website. Here's the link:
http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/Unl...ur_device.shtml



Thanks tips for bringing back a 2 year old thread

tha_bandit
Originally posted by G-ZUS


Thanks tips for bringing back a 2 year old thread



I was wondering what the fuck everyone was going back and forth about, then I looked at the date on the posts :nut:

403ep3
Hello 2011
rage2
Yea so out of date, the big-3 providers all unlock iPhones now.
thetransporter
Bell Mobility sucks -
I signed up to them they said they could not activate my device, (after the credit check) ok no big deal , they said account canceled. no charge/ nothing

So i get a bill for 130$
I call them they said nothing is owed
It goes to collections
I pay collections
Now its a collection on my credit file
This has been going on since 2008

Fuck them


Originally posted by kvg
So my sister has an iPhone that she bought outright from bell mobility, paying full price(not under contract)!!! She just got an new 4s and wanted the old phone unlocked so she could give it away to her niece who is expecting it and has been so excited! They won't unlock it! Just because her phone is on a different network, she cannot use the phone! Their excuse..."Apple doesn't let us" Then why does Fido allow this unlock for a fee of $50???? My sister would gladly pay that to pass on this useful device to someone who has been looking forward to it for so long! And Apple seems to have no knowledge of this rule that they supposedly imposed on Bell Mobility customers! This is their way of limiting a customers choices. Making it so you cannot switch from one network to another! My Sister is now thinking of switching over to a network that doesn't try to trap its customers, even though she has been a loyal customer for a number of years.

Xtrema
https://www.8com.ca

Sounds like this reseller of Bell/Telus network has BYOD unlimited (voice & data) plan for $50/mth. ($55 on website).
swak
couldn't this whole problem be avoided by buying an iphone from apple direct, or simply purchasing one from the service provider you plan on using, vs buying from Bell - when you have no ties to them???

:nut:



Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.


For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog

Powered by: Search Engine Indexer and vBulletin v2.3.9
Copyright © 2000 - 2002, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited