PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a Tune?

triplep
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I am just wondering what the benefits of a proper tune would be?

I am going to get my car dynoed in the new year, and I was wondering if it might be worthwhile to get someone who knows what they are doing to tune it properly.

Basically, I am running an AEM FIC currently, with 10% fuel increase across the board. I've ran an obd2 on it to check my fuel trims etc, and with a 10% fuel increase my SFT's are both negative.

Now I know with the Accord ECU it likes to adjust everything itself after some time. This still hasn't happened, and I am happy the negative fuel trims are only 4-6% so I am not to worried about it. Also, I am wondering if a tune will help the OL system or not?

Basically, I just want to know what will happen with a proper tune, and if it is worth the money?

triplep
12-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised no one has an opinion........

sr20s14zenki
12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
You may be able to get more power out of timing, and while your fuel trims show that there isnt much going on, the wideband O2 sensor on the dyno may show different.

It couldnt hurt to atleast let Toma have it for an hour or two to see if he can extract more from it. Theres always power to be made somewhere....

benyl
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah, like maybe 5 hp. haha

Redlyne_mr2
12-29-2011, 02:26 PM
$150/hour dyno tuning for 5hp.

sr20s14zenki
12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
You never know what could be hiding in there.....

he asked if there was any benefit....who knows how far out the FIC is. Or for that matter if the different internals want different timing. what if he could gain 5 or 6 degrees advance on the fuel he's running. I have no idea...just an opinion,.

Cant remember what k series it was, but the guy had a k swap in his integra. He was running it on Hondata. First run was like 140 whp. By the time Anthony was done tuning I think it made 170 whp. No idea what was done tho. Just an exampl

Neons4life
12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
On my Subaru with a stage 2 pro tune I went from 232whp upto 275whp. Power curve is nice and smooth where before it seemed to hesitate alot, making acceleration night and day difference, feels like a whole new car.

Is a tune worth it? definately!!

Hallowed_point
12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I think it is worth it for the 1 hour basic health check up just to make sure you are not running to rich or lean but that's just me :burnout:

garyb
12-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life
On my Subaru with a stage 2 pro tune I went from 232whp upto 275whp. Power curve is nice and smooth where before it seemed to hesitate alot, making acceleration night and day difference, feels like a whole new car.

Is a tune worth it? definately!!

Your subaru has turbo no? Gains from a chip/tune on a charged car cant be compared to chip/tune on NA motors. Assuming OP is running stock Kseries or whatever.

Toma
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
What's the engine? Turbo? Stock? Built? Other mods?

Toma
12-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
You never know what could be hiding in there.....

he asked if there was any benefit....who knows how far out the FIC is. Or for that matter if the different internals want different timing. what if he could gain 5 or 6 degrees advance on the fuel he's running. I have no idea...just an opinion,.

Cant remember what k series it was, but the guy had a k swap in his integra. He was running it on Hondata. First run was like 140 whp. By the time Anthony was done tuning I think it made 170 whp. No idea what was done tho. Just an exampl
K's with Hondata are different. All those amazing cam angles you can tweek.

AEM FIC is pretty limited, so unless it's out a ton on the WOT AF. there won't be much in it.

I dunno what is done to his motor, but if it's near stock, almost universally will need less fuel at wot, not more....

If it was me? I'd toss it on the dyno for a couple baseline pulls and check, if it needs a tweek, then go from there,

benyl
12-29-2011, 04:34 PM
He is driving an Accord and mentions it in his first post.

There was no J35 in the 7th gen accord, so unless he swapped it in, it doesn't make sense.

If you look at the J series, there are different HP depending on the application, but we are talking about a few HP here and there. Unless he plans on changing the compression, I doubt there is more than 5 HP.

Here's then engine family in Question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine#J35

m10-power
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
You may be able to get more power out of timing, and while your fuel trims show that there isnt much going on, the wideband O2 sensor on the dyno may show different.

AEM FIC can only retard timing not advance. Adding 10% fuel for what reason? Especially across the board.

sr20s14zenki
12-29-2011, 06:46 PM
If im correct, this guy combined a few v6 honda parts to make basically a stroked 3L or something, stroked to 3.5L.

I forget, but im pretty sure he made a thread documenting the build of the engine?

edit: Here it is

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/344803/not-your-typical-7th-gen-accord-build/

triplep
12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Sr20 is right that is my build

I will see what Toma has to say, since I will be going to him (Didn't want to bug him till the new year). Even if I can get better fuel efficiency over the long run that would be a huge benefit, since I have had to switch to premium over regular, since on regular I get engine knock :S. And I am getting at least 100k less on a tank of gas then I was before....

Originally posted by Toma
What's the engine? Turbo? Stock? Built? Other mods?

It is a stroked 3.2 TL Block with TL-S cams. I also have a CAI and PCD's and Jpipe and ummmmm well I think that is it as far as the engine is concerned... I think have no idea what the CR on the engine is? All i know is that it is 89x93, so I dunno.

Also I think my main concern is OL.... since I have no way of testing the car when it is open loop...... 1st 2nd 3rd are to short to do anything to test in 4th... well I am just going to fast and don't want a ticket. I am pretty sure my CL are okay... I ran another tool and it told me my AFR was between 14.5-15.2 and I know the sweet spot in CL on the Accord is 14.8.... I also know that in WOT in OL I should be around 13.7 and in all honesty, if my SFT are negative, then I know that in OL I am probably no where near 13.7...

@m10-power
The reason there is a 10% fuel increase across the board is that when it was ran on the stock ECU on the Accord, I would get lean codes..... my SFT would be around +25% and up, and the ECU just couldn't compensate enough.

JZS_147
01-13-2012, 06:32 PM
The advantage is optimization. You could gain some efficiency which translates to more power and or better fuel economy.

Just make sure you get someone that knows what they're doing. Sometimes manufacturers leave the cars fairly rich to keep the cats from melting with the amount of timing they run out of the factory. Less advance is safe, but your EGT's go up, so trimming the fuel back with an FIC could potentially cause problems.