PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsubo exhaust tip rusting?

gyu
01-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I bought a Fujitsubo RM01A from Revwerks last February, but I didn't put it on until late spring or during the summer.

A couple months back I noticed the tip of my RM01A starting to rust (at least it looks like it) and it has been getting worse and worse ever since. I found this really strange since we've had a pretty dry winter, and that stainless steel would rust so fast. Whenever I cleaned my car I've always wiped the exhaust tip as well. My stock exhaust tip doesn't even have any rust on it!

What gives :dunno: is this normal?

sr20s14zenki
01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Depends how much moisture was in the air where it was stored. Stainless can still rust....just usually takes alot more bombardment by moisture to do it.

Should come off with some brillo pad and stainless polish?

roll_over
01-02-2012, 10:16 PM
stainless polish? it helps some....

AutodreamMarvin
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I've never seen anything work better than wheel acid... just don't get any on your paint!

AutodreamMarvin
01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
As far as the rust issue, it's not really normal for a stainless exhaust to rust that quickly, but mild weather coupled with the amount of salt we used will actually accelerate the corrosion.

Best thing to do is call Tein USA (Fujitsubo N/A) and see what they can do about the corrosion. I've seen alot of manufacturers do big things when the quality of their product is in question.

YamahaV8
01-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Not all stainless is created equal. If it is just polished T409 stainless then rusting is still going to happen. The nice thing though is that it should polish out easily.

Ichigo
01-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin
I've never seen anything work better than wheel acid... just don't get any on your paint!

Becareful when using anything acid on a stainless steel polished surface, you will end up etching/staining the stainless steel.

*edit* sorry that might have been for chrome surfaces

Revhard
01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8
Not all stainless is created equal. If it is just polished T409 stainless then rusting is still going to happen. The nice thing though is that it should polish out easily.

This. If it's magnetic, it's the cheaper 409.

gyu
01-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.
Yeah I found it really strange that it would rust in less than 6 months of having it on. I don't think the salt would be much of a factor this year since the roads have been pretty dry.

I'm not familiar with the types of steel but I just looked it up and it says it is made with "1-1.2mm thick SUS304 Stainless Steel construction", what do you guys think of that?

JZS_147
01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
First time I've heard of a Fujitsubo exhaust rusting....typically their stuff made with really good stainless and they're superior in terms of construction compared to other exhausts.

I would do what Marvin suggested: [email protected]

...Or maybe contact Revwerks, since he sold it to you he should be able to take care of that issue. All Fujitsubo exhausts come with a 1yr warranty.

gyu
01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
E-mails have been sent, I will let you guys know how it goes.

Redlyne_jr
01-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey man,
Thought id chime in got your email aswell, take some photos of it and ill forward them onto the appropriate individuals. I mean stainless does rust eventually stuff isn't invincible but ill bomb off an email to Tein and see what they say.. is it showing any other signs of oxidization anywhere else on the exhaust? or just on the tip? and whether or not it looks extreme or what they would verify is normal wear and tear.. i vote taking a scotch brits pad to it and some degreaser.. check some of the weld points ETC on the underside..

Cheers
-Rhys

Redlyne_jr
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
the other thing is does it look like its coming from inside the exhaust? as a lot of time the inside packing material isn't stainless and has a tendency to oxidize or rust quicker than the outside... its it looks like its coming from inside could very well be a little water inside the canister etc.. but this is all pending have to see pics..

:nut: ;)

gyu
01-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Will try and get pics tomorrow after a wash. Haven't had a chance to jack the car up to check out the rest of the exhaust, but the places that looks like it is rusting is on the outside of the tip, not on the inside.
I know steel will eventually rust but I thought their exhausts are made with quality steel and that's why I'm surprised it would show signs of what looks to be rust in 6 months or less of having it on (only 1 or 2 months of winter).

Revhard
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
If they claim it's 304, then it should not "rust" for years.
Circumstances that can lead to it being extremely accelerated like this include considerable exposure to salt for long durations, and direct contact with mild steel before service.
The latter can be in the form of sparks and/or sanding particles in air or in a polishing belt or medium. Keep in mind though, that stainless is meant to tolerate mild salt corrosion, so that one seems like a stretch. Only other thing I've seen is extremely high temperature combined with corrosive media. Doesn't really apply on a tip though.
Good luck, hopefully they square you away.:thumbsup:

gyu
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I took some pics earlier today, click zoom in to see the full sized picture http://imageshack.us/g/443/img2501b.jpg/

Are those brown spots on the side (including a few of the letters) and bottom of the tip starting rust or is it something else? There's also a few brown spots on the canister but I wasn't able to get a close up of those because the car wasn't jacked up.

Let me know what you guys think, TIA.

Redlyne_jr
01-07-2012, 10:21 AM
doesn't look like rust to me, looks like stains IE you got the exhaust really hot and than drove through a muddy puddle or something along that lines and it has stained the canister.. Try some Metal polish I'm willing to bet they come right out.. Either way ill pass the photos onward to Fujitsubo, But doesn't really look like a rust spot to me.. :dunno:

gyu
01-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Well don't pass it on if you don't think it is. I'll buy some polish today and see if it comes off

Redlyne_jr
01-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Well I personally don't think its rust, but ill pass it on and see what they say.. can't harm anyone asking :poosie: