Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance

Little known tax break for low income earners. - Click HERE for Original Thread

Seth1968
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/menu-eng.html

Out of curiosity, I called up 3 tax preparation services, and all said that very few know of this tax break.
triplep
Have you looked at the criteria to receive this?

For alberta:
Can't make more than 18,088 if single
Can't make more as a family than 25,601

Can't have been a full-time student for more than 13 weeks
Can't have been confined to a prison etc for more than 90 days.

It is really hard to receive this WITB, hence why many people are probably not even aware of it. Same thing goes for the Medical Expense supplement.

However if you did qualify, and didn't sign up for it, I have been told the CRA will automatically qualify you for whatever benefits and credits you are entitled to regardless if you input it into the system.

Edit: Used the wrong Then/Than
ercchry
Originally posted by triplep

For alberta:
Can't make more then 18,088 if single
Can't make more as a family then 25,601

Can't have been a full-time student for more then 13 weeks
Can't have been confined to a prison etc for more then 90 days.

THAN jesus...

Seth1968

For alberta:

It is really hard to receive this WITB, hence why many people are probably not even aware of it. Same thing goes for the Medical Expense supplement.

However if you did qualify, and didn't sign up for it, I have been told the CRA will automatically qualify you for whatever benefits and credits you are entitled to regardless if you input it into the system.

Do you have a link for the criteria you posted?

The CRA will always adjust the return if you owe more money. The CRA adjusting a return to include the optional WITB? I doubt it.

swak
Originally posted by Seth1968

Do you have a link for the criteria you posted?

... reference is the link you posted.

Here:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html

triplep
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5...5009-s6-11e.pdf

here is the link for Alberta

Some provinces have different maximum income levels, but the basic school and prison are the same for each province.
tenth

For alberta:

x2. Also if you prepare your return with any of the dummy programs (Ufile, Turbotax, etc...) it will ask you if you qualify in their list of questions.

GQBalla
why do you refer to it as a dummy program?
sputnik
Originally posted by GQBalla
why do you refer to it as a dummy program?

Because he is HARDCORE.

Files in income tax on the paper form... in ink.. and with no calculator.

T1 HARDCORE!

flipstah
Your blurb reminded me to do my taxes.

Fuck you.
WWJAI

This is false. They will not automatically qualify you as it is an "optional" benefit. You must apply for it. It's just like the GST/HST credit some lower income individuals/families receives; you must apply.

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog