Beyond.ca - Car Forums



Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Sports, Health & Fitness > Body Building / Weight Training

 
Help with 5X5 routine - Click HERE for Original Thread

YamahaV8
Hey Beyond. I have started a 5X5 routine recently and have been really enjoying it but I have some questions about how I should be applying the weight to each individual set. I have looked over a few routines from different sources and there are 2 main differences between them.

Style 1: Use the same amount of weight for all 5 sets. Increase the amount of weight when able to do 5 reps on the 5th set.

Style 2: Ramp the weight up for each set. For example: set 1=100lbs, set 2=125lbs, set 3=150lbs and so on until your 5th set is your 5 rep max essentially.

I have no idea which one is right or maybe they are both right. What is your take on it? What would you do if it was your routine?
Neil4Speed
I started with Style 1, and then did Style 2. I don't really notice too much of a difference, nor did I switch the styles for any good reason.
taemo
5x5 should be all done with the same weight and technically you are doing more than 5 sets as you will be starting with no weights first, then gradually increasing your weights.

ie what I do for squats
SET1 = 45lbs
SET2 = 45lbs
SET3 = 135lbs
SET4 = 135lbs
SET5 = 225lbs
SET6= 225lbs
SET7 = 225lbs
SET8 = 225lbs
SET9 = 225lbs
YamahaV8
Originally posted by taemo
5x5 should be all done with the same weight and technically you are doing more than 5 sets as you will be starting with no weights first, then gradually increasing your weights.

ie what I do for squats
SET1 = 45lbs
SET2 = 45lbs
SET3 = 135lbs
SET4 = 135lbs
SET5 = 225lbs
SET6= 225lbs
SET7 = 225lbs
SET8 = 225lbs
SET9 = 225lbs



I do warmups similar to what you have posted here. I just am not sure what to do for the 5 working sets. Currently I do style 1 myself.

A790
Originally posted by YamahaV8
Hey Beyond. I have started a 5X5 routine recently and have been really enjoying it but I have some questions about how I should be applying the weight to each individual set. I have looked over a few routines from different sources and there are 2 main differences between them.

Style 1: Use the same amount of weight for all 5 sets. Increase the amount of weight when able to do 5 reps on the 5th set.

Style 2: Ramp the weight up for each set. For example: set 1=100lbs, set 2=125lbs, set 3=150lbs and so on until your 5th set is your 5 rep max essentially.

I have no idea which one is right or maybe they are both right. What is your take on it? What would you do if it was your routine?


When I do 5x5 I do style one. Two warm up sets of roughly 50% of my work set, then 5 work sets of 5 reps. Works great for me.

lint
the simple thing to do would be to pick a 5x5 program and follow it, instead of trying to create your own. You will make gains on all of them. If you know that you respond better to more volume, go with a 5x5 sets across program. If you respond well to less volume, try a ramp up 5x5 (Bill Starr) or a 3x5 program (Starting Strength)

You won't know till you try.
JayDoggExclusiv
I do style two for bench. I like it best and have been doing it for about 2 months time and have gotten much stronger.
Spoons
My cousin taught me that 5x5 should be done with the same weight for all 5 sets. With that being said though, on your last set, you are not necessarily going to get all 5 reps in.

You always want to do more work at the gym, so every single time you come back to that exercise, you need to do more.

Work = Force (x) Distance

So you're first time on a new weight, say you only get 3-4 reps on your 5th set. That is fine, but when you come back later on that week to the exercise (or next week depending) Try to get the full 5x5. Then when you come back again, up the weight. Force is the weight, distance is the reps you are taking. Increase either, and you will increase the work put in.

If you are looking for more strength though, I would strongly suggest looking into a 5-3-1 plan.
max_boost
If you've never worked out before, 5X5 will be good, start with just the bar and keep adding weight until you can't anymore, usually peak out in 2-3 months. (Beginner program)

531 is a lot slower, you are adding weight every month as opposed to every session on 5X5. (Intermediate program)
403ep3
Damn I just started this program and just finished the second workout. It's depressing lifting a little more than a bar. Patience is going to be key during his program. I hope I have enough though :/
bruceod
Originally posted by 403ep3
Damn I just started this program and just finished the second workout. It's depressing lifting a little more than a bar. Patience is going to be key during his program. I hope I have enough though :/



Yeah it is, but it will promote good form and it's also a good motivator when you're always adding weight every workout.

Give it a honest effort, the strength gains you'll notice will keep you going!

A790
Originally posted by 403ep3
Damn I just started this program and just finished the second workout. It's depressing lifting a little more than a bar. Patience is going to be key during his program. I hope I have enough though :/


Check your ego at the door, it has no place in a gym.

I started 5x5, and within 3 months was benching 165 comfortably, squatting 225 properly, etc.

The weight will come as long as your form is correct.

403ep3
Originally posted by bruceod


Yeah it is, but it will promote good form and it's also a good motivator when you're always adding weight every workout.

Give it a honest effort, the strength gains you'll notice will keep you going!



Originally posted by A790

Check your ego at the door, it has no place in a gym.

I started 5x5, and within 3 months was benching 165 comfortably, squatting 225 properly, etc.

The weight will come as long as your form is correct.



Thanks for the advice lol. It's going to be tough but I am also making sure that I am keeping track of the progress. 5x5 has an application that you can download from the apple store and it works pretty well.

I've never done overhead press before and the weight isn't hard but I having a small problem with balance. Maybe because it's a lighter weight? Also, deadlifts at small weights feels awkward :zzz:

Disoblige
As long as you keep at it, I don't see why anyone cannot excel. I've seen people who work out one week, then get lazy the next blah, go on vacation, excuse this and that.

You get what you put in. That's all. Good luck man :thumbsup:
duaner
Originally posted by A790

Check your ego at the door, it has no place in a gym.
...
The weight will come as long as your form is correct.


^ This. :thumbsup:

Big ego typically leads to too heavy of a weight too soon, poor form, greater chance of injury, over-training and lack of progress. Leave that to the people who laugh at others in the gym.

403ep3
Yeah I had to control myself and make sure that I didn't "accidentally" change the weight from 65lbs bench press to something higher.

How far are you guys into the program? Once it gets tough should I switch up the types of workouts?
bigbadboss101
Where do you workout 403? I can use a training partner.
403ep3
I workout at anytime fitness, not because it's a good gym but because it's 2 minutes from my house :D

You're probably stronger than me:bigpimp:
YamahaV8
Well I'm two weeks into the program and so far I like it. I stuck with keeping the weight the same for all 5 sets. The hardest thing so far is the barbell row. It's hard to have enough weight to get a workout but to keep balance when I am bent over. I bet it looks quite funny when I do it lol.
mugensix
I do the 5x5 on the bench in 45lbs increments.
5xbar+45lbs(one plate split even)
5xbar+90lbs(one on each side)
5xbar+135lbs
5xbar+180lbs(2x45 on each side)
5xbar+200lbs. Thats my max. Working up to bench more but it takes time.
403ep3
This program is taking some time to get to a weight thats challenging but I am slowly getting there.

Started at:

Session 1: Squats 75lb
Bench Press 75lb
Barbell Row 90lb

Session 2: Squats 80lb
Overhead Press 65lb
Deadlift 100lb

Squats (ass to ground) is still easy.
Bench is :banghead: easy.
Barbell row is getting a bit tougher..
Overhead Press is still light.
Deadlift feels like nothing.

Next session, friday, will be number 6. No weight gain, I might need to try GOMAD.
max_boost
Originally posted by 403ep3
This program is taking some time to get to a weight thats challenging but I am slowly getting there.

Started at:

Session 1: Squats 75lb
Bench Press 75lb
Barbell Row 90lb

Session 2: Squats 80lb
Overhead Press 65lb
Deadlift 100lb

Squats (ass to ground) is still easy.
Bench is :banghead: easy.
Barbell row is getting a bit tougher..
Overhead Press is still light.
Deadlift feels like nothing.

Next session, friday, will be number 6. No weight gain, I might need to try GOMAD.



Patience.

What are your stats? Height/weight? Just curious.

403ep3
Originally posted by max_boost


Patience.

What are your stats? Height/weight? Just curious.



I weigh around 160lbs +/- 2lbs
Height is 5'8"


edit: Found Overhead press harder this week..time to take a longer break inbetween sets..

mr2mike
Originally posted by 403ep3


I've never done overhead press before and the weight isn't hard but I having a small problem with balance. Maybe because it's a lighter weight?



No, just you have stabalizer muscles that are weak. If you're really having trouble, get a spotter to help direct the weight/your arms as they go up. Really, they should be doing minimal spotting.

Issue should go away as you progress.

YamahaV8
So a little update. Been doing this for just over a month and have gotten good gains in strength after being in a plateau for a while.

Current lifts to date:

Squat: 275lbs
Bench: 280lbs
Barbell row: 185lbs
Overhead press : 160lbs
Dead lift: 350lbs (Only 1x5. Stoked about the weight though!)
403ep3
Damn those are some heavy ass weights! I'd love to reach that strength.

Great job:eek:
YamahaV8
Originally posted by 403ep3
Damn those are some heavy ass weights! I'd love to reach that strength.

Great job:eek:



Well I weigh 275lbs. Keep that in mind and those numbers aren't as awesome as you think.




Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.


For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog

Powered by: Search Engine Indexer and vBulletin v2.3.9
Copyright © 2000 - 2002, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited