PDA

View Full Version : My bench press

max_boost
07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
How does it look?

I weigh 150lbs.

Bench is by far my weakest lift but I still did 135. Dunno if I want to push more weight. It felt alright. Might need to go chill with a790/kryn/warcaster soon.

0k4QFQM_ICg

Hallowed_point
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Considering your weight, I think that is pretty impressive.

I wouldn't personally lock out all the way when your bringing the weight up. It's harder on the shoulders and you will give your chest/triceps better stimulation if you pause and bring it back down just a little earlier.

07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Good work!

Try doing 4 reps that have a rhythm of a slow count of 1, 2, 3 on the way down and 1 on the way up and like was said try no to lock your arms at the top.

403ep3
07-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Nice job, it seems like your left arm is lagging a bit behind your right; do you notice that or is it just me.

Good you're not bouncing the bar off your chest. I see a lot of guys do that with the heavier weights and it makes lifting easier. Keep at it and you'll hit 225 in no time:D

KRyn
07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
How does it look?

I weigh 150lbs.

Bench is by far my weakest lift but I still did 135. Dunno if I want to push more weight. It felt alright. Might need to go chill with a790/kryn/warcaster soon.

Max_Boost! Your form needs work (if you want to maximize your bench)! Come to Strive for a free lesson anytime. Like you my bench is not my best lift, but I understand the dynamics of it. I think you could put 20lbs on your max in a few hours just by working your setup and a few other minor things. Regardless keep on lifting!
:thumbsup:

Disoblige
07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Do you find that the belt helps you a lot for bench or not really?

AudiPWR
07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I am 160lb my 1rm bench is 305.

If you want to put weight on your BP try the Smolov Jr; http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2362/articles/smolov-jr .

This works for squats too

KRyn
07-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
I am 160lb my 1rm bench is 305.

If you want to put weight on your BP try the Smolov Jr; http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2362/articles/smolov-jr .

This works for squats too

Post a video of this bench press please, you should be competing if you can bench over 2x your body weight.

bigbadboss101
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Thats pretty good Max. Did you see the video on the same youtube page? That chick arched her back like crazy. Anyways if you want spotter/training partner let me know. I have membership at Worlds. With consistency your lift will be fine.

AudiPWR
07-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

Post a video of this bench press please, you should be competing if you can bench over 2x your body weight.

I do compete, I plan to set a record October 20th at the UAPA PowerSurge III meet in Edmonton. SQ is 425, DL 405.

Also, to the above poster, arching your back is essential in a powerful lift. If you do it properly it isn't hard on your body.

KRyn
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM

I do compete, I plan to set a record October 20th at the UAPA PowerSurge III meet in Edmonton. SQ is 425, DL 405.

Also, to the above poster, arching your back is essential in a powerful lift. If you do it properly it isn't hard on your body.

Raw or Equipped?
Who are you? Did you recently go to Provincials? Are you training out of Calgary or Edmonton?
I will see you there, I am heading to Power Surge with another beyond.ca member I train with.

Boosted_TL
07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
How does it look?

I weigh 150lbs.

0k4QFQM_ICg

Looks decent, form is def an issue as stated. Its hard to tell but your hand positioning looks more on the close grip side. Have your thumbs in line with the "line" stamped on the bar. You can tell you have the strength, but the form and brute style of lifting is killing you.

Slow it down, dont lock out and breathe. Learning incorrect lifting / training techniques take alot longer to undo, than initially learn.

The amount of weight on the bar is irrelevent if the form is off. More susceptible to injury also.

AudiPWR
07-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Raw, no I wasn't at provincials as this will be my first competition. I only got into the sport about 3 weeks ago from my friend who is a powerlifter. He told me I had to compete because he was saying my lifts were already at a national level. Didn't have any clue until I did a little more research.

Spoons
07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
How does it look?

I weigh 150lbs.

0k4QFQM_ICg

You have the same problem as I did. Left arm lagged, and I know you're pushing harder then on that. It's a really easy way to throw out a shoulder.

Buddy of mine threw his out and couldn't work out for a very long time.

What fixed mine was someone critiquing my form, but mainly closing in my grip. I find I get a much better workout in my chest with a closer grip too, and it fixed my left arm lagging.

KRyn
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Raw, no I wasn't at provincials as this will be my first competition. I only got into the sport about 3 weeks ago from my friend who is a powerlifter. He told me I had to compete because he was saying my lifts were already at a national level. Didn't have any clue until I did a little more research.

:hijack:

Awesome, good luck! I look forward to watching you compete. I assume you are out of Edmonton then as the community up there is a lot bigger!

max_boost
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the comments. i always suspected my form was off but then I never took this stuff that seriously. Just kind of ho hum lift some weights and don't hurt yourself.

This is pretty much my max lift haha at this weight everything feels fine but I am hesitant to push harder without first making sure the form was on.

Thanks kryn maybe I will make it around to Strive someday haha

KRyn
07-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
What fixed mine was someone critiquing my form, but mainly closing in my grip. I find I get a much better workout in my chest with a closer grip too, and it fixed my left arm lagging.

Uhh what? When you bring your grip in closer you are using less chest and more triceps...

:confused:

Spoons
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

Uhh what? When you bring your grip in closer you are using less chest and more triceps...

:confused:

Not super close, but just not as wide as I was doing before.

I feel my chest burn way more after this.

arian_ma
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Not super close, but just not as wide as I was doing before.

I feel my chest burn way more after this.
I think this is a sign of weak shoulder muscles. Can someone confirm?

cet
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
This article helped me a lot with my form when I was refining it.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

bigbadboss101
07-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I know for me often its my shoulders or tris that are the weak points when benching. Weakness or pain in those areas.

liquidboi69
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
For anyone who wants free lessons, or anyone looking to break into IPF power lifting (who aren't already at the guild), come to strive with me and kryn! Anyone interested in our "qualifications" can check out http://www.YouTube.com/uofcpower . We always welcome new members hint* hint* Audi and max

Also, great lifts Audi. Welcome to the APU community, you'll find it's super small and everybody knows one another.

Spoons
07-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

I think this is a sign of weak shoulder muscles. Can someone confirm?

Well my shoulders are just fine.

I think you guys are confusing yourselves. I'm not saying I'm going straight into a standard grip, I mean just not as wide as some of the guys go.

I'd say a 3-4 inches wider than shoulder width.

This is what my trainer has me doing (not my friend anymore). He knows what he's doing.

dandia89
07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
_QnwAoesJvQ

AudiPWR
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
For anyone who wants free lessons, or anyone looking to break into IPF power lifting (who aren't already at the guild), come to strive with me and kryn! Anyone interested in our "qualifications" can check out http://www.YouTube.com/uofcpower . We always welcome new members hint* hint* Audi and max

Also, great lifts Audi. Welcome to the APU community, you'll find it's super small and everybody knows one another.

Awesome, my friend that is getting me into it just transfered from Waterloo to UofC and will also be competing, he was looking for a better community to get involved with. I will definately pass this information down to him, unfortunately most of my training will be in Colorado as I finish my last semester down there this year. Thanks for the info.

403ep3
07-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I think that once you learn better form you'll be able to bench a lot more. Back when I was going hard, years ago, I weighed around 145-150 pounds and I could bench 225lb for my max.

Set a goal and set a date. That's what I did!:D

jwslam
07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the comments. i always suspected my form was off but then I never took this stuff that seriously. Just kind of ho hum lift some weights and don't hurt yourself.

This is pretty much my max lift haha at this weight everything feels fine but I am hesitant to push harder without first making sure the form was on.

I only push a plate and I weigh 215.
But I'm also tubby and only started working out a little over a year ago.

If you're ever around Goodlife Beacon Hill, I'm always looking for another workout buddy.

nykz
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
_QnwAoesJvQ

Followed this for advice a while back and found it helped a lot with my bench press, especially digging in your shoulder blades into the bench and slightly arching your back.

Keep going at it Max :thumbsup:

SpeedIllusion
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I only push a plate and I weigh 215.
But I'm also tubby and only started working out a little over a year ago.

If you're ever around Goodlife Beacon Hill, I'm always looking for another workout buddy.

I'm at Beacon Hill Goodlife too, usually go at nights. I weigh 125lb-130lb and press 135lb cleanly :D

jwslam
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
I'm at Beacon Hill Goodlife too, usually go at nights. I weigh 125lb-130lb and press 135lb cleanly :D
Well I'm naturally big, so give me another year =)
In the meantime, let's workout!

403ep3
07-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Damn I should have joined goodlife instead of renewing my anytime fitness pass. It's so conveniently close to home though
:thumbsdow

jwslam
07-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Damn I should have joined goodlife instead of renewing my anytime fitness pass. It's so conveniently close to home though
:thumbsdow
Goodlife @ Beacon is getting pretty busy. My buddy said it's cuz people are ditching Cardel.
Anytime in Symon's Valley right? Is it any good?

SpeedIllusion
07-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm about to go now, I'll let you know roughly how many people are there tonight.

jwslam
07-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
I'm about to go now, I'll let you know roughly how many people are there tonight.
It's not bad after 9 on weekdays.
Peak time 5-830 on weekdays is when even the many cardio machines are practically full. Plus the parking lot is full from the cardio classes (both bike and fitness).

I've been trying to go to some of the classes.
I'm aiming to make it to Bodyflow (http://www.goodlifefitness.com/groupexercise/MindBody/BodyFlow.aspx) at 1030am tomorrow. The pilates part owned me last time.

403ep3
07-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Anytime is ok. The regulars are there each night but there aren't enough machines. Thats the only thing that sucks about the gym. All I need is a couple power racks and I will be happy.

scboss
07-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69

Yo man just outta curiosity do you have any hookups at bellsofsteel? I want to get a econo prowler and im looking for good deals. I think the best part about strive is they cater to athletes and spend money on equip instead constantly updating how the building looks.

bigbadboss101
07-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I cancelled my Anytime membership cuz I only went 4 times in the whole year. I can see Coop from my house. I do like Worlds and will go to Sunridge and may be Edgemont also.

At Anytime there was a guy who does crazy weights for deads and squats. Is he still there regularly at prime time?

SpeedIllusion
07-26-2012, 11:28 PM
About 40ish people tonight

liquidboi69
07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

Yo man just outta curiosity do you have any hookups at bellsofsteel? I want to get a econo prowler and im looking for good deals. I think the best part about strive is they cater to athletes and spend money on equip instead constantly updating how the building looks.
I don't think Kaevon can do any hookups for prowlers for anyone. He just buys EliteFTS prowlers and rebadges them, so he doesn't make much money off them if any (I think.)

KRyn
08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Here is my most recent PR bench, hopefully 405 is happening soon.

p38_to6g6dw

max_boost
08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow. So different. Arched back and very wide grip. :eek: Props.

scboss
08-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Sick bench man. I use the same stance but im like 140 lbs under you for weight. How much do you weigh in at?

KRyn
08-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I compete in the 205lb or 93kg weight class. Don't be amazed, I pressed that in a double ply bench shirt (that is way to big for me). My bench is by far my worst lift. So when you showing up Max_Boost?

J-hop
08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Man those vids helped. I'm one of those people that does not think much about bench technique. I did bench today and tried to follow the technique shown to a T, easily added 10lbs to what I usually bench (didn't have a spotter so I don't know what it did to my max, this was probably 80%) and everything felt way smoother and actually felt LESS strain on my shoulders than before. I went back to my old technique for one set which was similar to what that guy was making fun of in the first vid and it felt super sloppy.

Thanks for posting those!!!!!