PDA

View Full Version : Michael Schumacher Retires (again)

Mibz
10-04-2012, 06:51 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103042

Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the 2012 season, the 43-year-old German announced on Thursday at Suzuka.

Following last week's announcement that the seven-time world champion will be replaced by Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes, Schumacher called a press conference along with the team in Japan to call time on a career that has spanned 21 years and more than 300 races.

Speaking of his decision, Schumacher said: "It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goals to develop a world championship fighting car. But it is also very clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in the whole time of my career.

"In the past six years I have learned a lot about myself. For example, that you can open yourself without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning.

"Sometimes I lost sight of this in the early years. But you appreciate to be able to do what you love to do. That you should live your convictions and I was able to do so.

"I would obviously like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz, the team, the engineers, and all my mechanics for all the trust that they put in those years in to myself. But I would also like to thank all of my friends, partners and companions who over many years in motor sport supported myself."

Schumacher added that he had felt his energy and enthusiasm had begun to wane, just as it did when he quit Ferrari and the sport the first time at the end of 2006.

"I have been thinking for quite a while [about this]," he said. "We had a three-year agreement, hard to keep motivation and energy - it's natural you think about this more than when you are young.

"I have had my doubts for quite a while whether I had energy to [carry on]. I said in 2006 my battery was empty and now I am in the red zone. I don't know if there is time to recharge them - but I am looking forward to my freedom.

"I have no hard feelings. In a different way we achieved a great deal...

"Now I will do exactly as I did the first time - to finish and focus 100 per cent on what I do."

Speculation had linked Schumacher to a move to Sauber, where he began his world championship-level career with the Mercedes-backed Swiss-team's endurance prototype squad in 1990, but that proved wide of the mark.

I would've liked to see him stay. I think the stigma was gone. He wasn't "7-time world champion Michael Schumacher", he was just like anybody else on the grid fighting for a win.

buh_buh
10-04-2012, 08:29 AM
DTM time Schumi. Where F1 drivers go to die.

flipstah
10-04-2012, 08:54 AM
He's the Ric Flair or Hulk Hogan of F1.

"Retires" but he'll always be there.

rage2
10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
There's a lot of media analysis saying that MS shouldn't have returned to F1, and that it was bad for his legacy. Although he wasn't terribly competitive with the exception of 2 or 3 races in the last 3 years, I think that his 3 year stint with Mercedes was brilliant.

Even though there were a lot of MS fans when he first retired, there's a lot of Schumi haters, including myself. Sure he won 7 championships, but he rarely had any other talent to challenge him (even Alonso back then wasn't the Alonso of today). He dominated the sport for so long during his first career because of the lack of talent in the field, and put together a team of the best engineers with unlimited funds at Ferrari.

When he came out of retirement, I was happy to have someone to hate in F1. Over the last 3 years, something unexpected happened. We saw an old man (in F1 terms) compete with the best talent in F1 in the last 20 years. Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, at their peak, and actually doing half decent, which earned him a lot of respect. Sure he didn't win, he was slower than Rosberg (I'd say better than Rosberg this year), but I think he performed as well as 1/2 the drivers in the current field would've in that car. I even found myself cheering him on in a couple of races over the last year. Much respect from this hater.

e31
10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
When the rumors started flying I could only think of the Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien saga.

Kramerica
10-04-2012, 10:55 AM
I am only a new comer to F1 (started watching about a quarter into last season) so Schumacher just seemed like a regular midfield player. From what I've seen and read about past seasons I think that despite his constant accidents it wasn't completely Schumi's fault, Brawn has a bad habit (atleast from what I've observed/read about) of cutting development in the back half of the season and the whole Double DRS thing fell far short of the hype.

Having said that I think this is the logical conclusion to Schumacher's second career, there isn't much more he can do that he hasn't already done. Either move to another mid-field team and continue to put out MOR results perhaps the odd podium or even a win if he gets lucky, or move to Ferrari for a year and play second fiddle for Alonso even if he is in a position to win a race.

[GaGe]
10-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Kramerica

Having said that I think this is the logical conclusion to Schumacher's second career, there isn't much more he can do that he hasn't already done. Either move to another mid-field team and continue to put out MOR results perhaps the odd podium or even a win if he gets lucky, or move to Ferrari for a year and play second fiddle for Alonso even if he is in a position to win a race.

Haha old Schumi would be better for that team than Massa for sure.

AaronK
10-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Schumi back on Ferrari would be sweet!

WhippWhapp
10-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2
There's a lot of media analysis saying that MS shouldn't have returned to F1, and that it was bad for his legacy. Although he wasn't terribly competitive with the exception of 2 or 3 races in the last 3 years, I think that his 3 year stint with Mercedes was brilliant.

Even though there were a lot of MS fans when he first retired, there's a lot of Schumi haters, including myself. Sure he won 7 championships, but he rarely had any other talent to challenge him (even Alonso back then wasn't the Alonso of today). He dominated the sport for so long during his first career because of the lack of talent in the field, and put together a team of the best engineers with unlimited funds at Ferrari.

When he came out of retirement, I was happy to have someone to hate in F1. Over the last 3 years, something unexpected happened. We saw an old man (in F1 terms) compete with the best talent in F1 in the last 20 years. Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, at their peak, and actually doing half decent, which earned him a lot of respect. Sure he didn't win, he was slower than Rosberg (I'd say better than Rosberg this year), but I think he performed as well as 1/2 the drivers in the current field would've in that car. I even found myself cheering him on in a couple of races over the last year. Much respect from this hater.

Rage, read "Michael Schumacher: The Edge of Greatness" by James Allen... should actually be required reading for any f1 fan.