PDA

View Full Version : Separated Bike Lanes Coming to Calgary 2013

kenny
10-05-2012, 06:12 PM
The bike lanes that will be running along 6th and 7th street in the core will be separated bike lanes opening next spring. Second phase (2014) will see the 10th ave bike lanes converted into separated bike lanes as well.

http://www.beyond.ca/separated-cycle-lanes-coming-to-calgary-in-2013/17963.html

Mar
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Don't we already have these? They're called sidewalks.

ExtremeSi
10-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Finally bike lanes that I would actually feel safe using. Taking away existing vehicle lanes sucks, but I guess there's no other room.

And no, you can't bike on the sidewalk legally...

Mar
10-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
And no, you can't bike on the sidewalk legally... Sure you can, why wouldn't you? I did it for 15 years, nobody said anything.

firebane
10-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Sure you can, why wouldn't you? I did it for 15 years, nobody said anything.

Its actually illegal to ride on the sidewalk. Its just not that enforced that well so people continue to do it.

phreezee
10-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Awesome, I actually ride up those and down those streets everyday!:eek:

Mar
10-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Its actually illegal to ride on the sidewalk. Its just not that enforced that well so people continue to do it.
Why is it illegal? Better than the street? Why not make it illegal to walk on the sidewalks too? That makes no sense.

civic_epidemic
10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Why is it illegal? Better than the street? Why not make it illegal to walk on the sidewalks too? That makes no sense.

It's because you're technically considered a vehicle when you're on two wheels and rolling. There's a few sections that allow for biking, if your tire size was below a certain diameter you were allowed to (which allows for kids bikes to be on there), while the second one says that you can ride on them provided they're not busy and you're not posing any harm to pedestrians that are on the sidewalk. There is also a speed limit which is the bigger issue on things like bike paths and sidewalks.

Mar
10-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by civic_epidemic
while the second one says that you can ride on them provided they're not busy and you're not posing any harm to pedestrians that are on the sidewalk.
I've never seen a sidewalk too congested to politely ride a bike down. So that applies to all of them.

swak
10-06-2012, 11:02 PM
*sigh

speedog
10-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Mar

I've never seen a sidewalk too congested to politely ride a bike down. So that applies to all of them.
Don't go downtown much, eh.

Thomas Gabriel
10-07-2012, 12:55 PM
How can we stop this?

7thgenvic
10-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Bikes lanes!!! amazing! I loved having separate lanes when I lived in Denmark. Made me feel safe about actually riding on the roads.

Can't see how people can be against this.

civic_epidemic
10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Sorry I actually typed my first post slightly incorrectly. The second one that allows for cyclists to ride on sidewalks is only on places that are designated as so, or if you are a newspaper carrier. In both cases you are not allowed to impede or interfere with pedestrians lawfully using them. Either way at the end of it, you are not allowed to ride on sidewalks and it's illegal unless specified otherwise. Just because it's not enforced doesn't mean it's legal. And bikes have all the rights and responsibilities of cars when they're using roads.

It's kind of amusing, motorists get really pissy about cyclists "not following the rules/law" and then proceede to suggest that we cycle on the sidewalks, go figure:facepalm:

swak
10-08-2012, 01:18 PM
^^ Agreed 100%
But i would have posted it something like this...

It's kind of amusing, motorists get really pissy about cyclists "not following the rules/law" and then proceede to:
- Speed
- Run red lights/stop signs
- Drive left of center
- Cut off cars/bikes
- Fail to signal; and
collide with other carrs

... i could go on

Sure people on bikes do some of those, but you can't honestly say its more prominent from cyclists than motorists. :drama: