PDA

View Full Version : This Infernal Clicking

msommers
10-06-2012, 09:24 AM
-5We71X5WCI

As you can see, it's when the right pedal hits approx. 8-9 o'clock and clicks 1-3 times. Nothing is rubbing from what I can see and I've tightened up everything. Any suggestions? This is driving me mad!

Darell_n
10-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Hard to tell from the video, but I would pull out the bottom bracket bearings and clean them. Or at least check them for tightness. (only clicks while pedaling?)

bspot
10-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I would definitely say bottom bracket issue as well.

If you take the chain off does it still click when you pedal?

If you leave the pedal stationary relative to the crank does it still make the noise?

msommers
10-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Only clicks when pedalling in that particular position. I'll have to check it when I'm back from the field as I only have my small multitool with me. Would it damage anything to keep using it until then?

revelations
10-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Def take off chain, sounds like BB although youre not putting a lot of pressure on the pedals.

I wouldnt worry about damaging it.

sheik_yerbouti
10-06-2012, 09:43 PM
The last time I had this problem it was a bent chain link. All I had to do is remove the link and everything was fine.

Penguin_Racecar
10-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Does it make the same noise in other gears, and does it make the same noise when using the pedal on the other side? If so, it's your BB.

msommers
10-09-2012, 07:10 AM
I tried different scenarios last night and this is what it seems.

The click happens in all gears, some gears barely audible, others very loud. I forget which is higher or lower (bike noob) but if I'm in the large gear and the small gear in the back it's the loudest, but as I move to the large gears in the back it quiets down.

I'll probably just take it to Bow when I get back because of time constraints in town. What are the chances of showing up one day and having it completed by the end of the next?

bigboom
10-09-2012, 09:43 AM
do you have any issues with shifting? curious if it might be a slightly bent front chain ring...

but yeah if it's not a bent chain ring it would most likely be a BB issue, just pull the cranks and bb, clean and grease it then reinstall. when you have the bb pulled check if it is rotating smoothly.

bspot
10-09-2012, 09:51 AM
My BB retainer likes to self loosen a bit. Next time I tighten it up I'm throwing some blue loctite on it. If yours is loose you might want to consider that while you have the crank arm off.

JRSC00LUDE
10-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti
The last time I had this problem it was a bent chain link. All I had to do is remove the link and everything was fine.

This is where I was going. Bottom bracket is usally more "creaky" sounding from my experience.

msommers
10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I noticed my shifting was getting kind of wonky while riding this summer but I adjusted the cables a bit and that seemed to help. It hasn't been tuned up for a couple years and on the RTCC we had to go through a flooded area that might have affected something.

Again I'm out of town with only my limited multi-tool so I'm not sure I can even remove it.

Bigboom, how busy are you guys in the shop at Bow? I only have a couple days at home before I have to head out again and would rather spend my time not fixing my bike - should be back next week around tues/wed.

bigboom
10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I noticed my shifting was getting kind of wonky while riding this summer but I adjusted the cables a bit and that seemed to help. It hasn't been tuned up for a couple years and on the RTCC we had to go through a flooded area that might have affected something.

Again I'm out of town with only my limited multi-tool so I'm not sure I can even remove it.

Bigboom, how busy are you guys in the shop at Bow? I only have a couple days at home before I have to head out again and would rather spend my time not fixing my bike - should be back next week around tues/wed.

i think the service guys are booking only a couple days for fixes right now...if it's an easy fix they MIGHT be able to do it for you on the spot.

if you're clicking and having shifting issues first thing i would check is the chain ring, it should be quite evident if its bent. if it is bent just take a flathead and hammer and just give it a couple good whacks.

and like the others have said check your chain...make sure all the links are moving freely.

Darell_n
10-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by bspot
My BB retainer likes to self loosen a bit. Next time I tighten it up I'm throwing some blue loctite on it. If yours is loose you might want to consider that while you have the crank arm off.

Ya, my old DH beater is 70% loctite, 30% aluminum by volume.