PDA

View Full Version : Any Law Students in the house?

Toma
11-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Just have a few questions. I wrote the LSAT this past October, and seems soon as I got my results a couple days ago, I started getting emails from American Law Schools saying shit like "Apply now, fees waved", "scholarships available" etc.

Is this straight up spam, or are Amercian schools easier to get into?

B.... I'm old, and I have never really worked with anyone "above me" to any extent. Who would you get to write your letters of reference?? Does it matter? Should it be from a professional? Another lawyer?? etc. Suggestions?

Thanks!

jazzyb
11-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Just have a few questions. I wrote the LSAT this past October, and seems soon as I got my results a couple days ago, I started getting emails from American Law Schools saying shit like "Apply now, fees waved", "scholarships available" etc.

Is this straight up spam, or are Amercian schools easier to get into?

B.... I'm old, and I have never really worked with anyone "above me" to any extent. Who would you get to write your letters of reference?? Does it matter? Should it be from a professional? Another lawyer?? etc. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Most Canadian Universities require your LORs to be from your acadamic relationships.

Toma
11-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by jazzyb

Most Canadian Universities require your LORs to be from your acadamic relationships.

Ah, I better calls some Universities and ask. I haven't been in school since 2001, and my first degree was in 1994! lol

Destinova403
11-07-2012, 10:44 AM
A couple factors when comparing Canada vs US law schools:

US has a LOT more law schools, they put through thousands more law grads every year than canadian schools. More spaces makes it less competitive but competition will vary greatly depending on the school (see next point).

Quality of US schools varies a lot more than canadian schools. You can argue that all Canadian schools are more or less equal for quality of education. In the US this isn't true and some law schools will be absolute garbage and others will be phenomenal.

US law schools typically put a lot more emphasis on the LSAT as a factor of admission rather than grades or references.

Lastly, most universities (not just law schools) love foreign students because they pay a lot more tuition.