PDA

View Full Version : Need something for blood pressure... See inside

Shlade
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
I've got a performance exam on Saturday which requires them to take my blood pressure before I run it. Last time I did it they couldn't let me run it since it was too high.

I've gone to see my doctor and he assures me I get too jacked up before a test which causes my blood pressure to sky rocket within a few seconds. Aside from breathing exercises do you guys have any recommendations as to what I can take?

Any sort of tea that's good in calming?
Excercises before the test?

(Please nothing illegal this is for a government job...)

JfuckinC
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Ativan? haha

Shlade
11-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Huh?

I guess to add to this what sort of food should I eat through out the week?

EK69
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I think Ativan is a prescription? Lol
So if u don't wanna go with medication, try meditation?

This test sounds like its physical?
Anything that will calm u down too much would be counterproductive ?

JfuckinC
11-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Ativan is an anxiety pill haha.. What about blood thinners? your doctor didn't suggest anything like that? if he didnt make a big deal out of it, i dont know why the people testing would.

joegrang
11-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Huh?

I guess to add to this what sort of food should I eat through out the week?

It's too late to eat food to help with your blood pressure. Maybe try running 30 -45 mins a day for the rest of the week?

Shlade
11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Problem was my blood pressure was fine when I got my doctors note and consent from doctor torun the physical but they put you on one of those machines that check your blood pressure and mine was too high and considered a "health risk" I was pretty jacked and ready to go and run it... Had absolutely no caffeine or supplements that morning or a few days prior.

Doctor said for my age and how I eat its considered fine.

Ill give the running a try as well.

suen17
11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
:nut: Um, no. Blood thinners don't do anything for blood pressure. Bad bad idea. Blood pressure medications, on the other hand, they do. However, if you don't have longstanding documented high blood pressure (and it's just an isolated case) there is no reason to prescribe you any medication whatsoever.

If your high blood pressure is due to stress or anxiety... ativan or similar drugs may help. Talk to your doc about that haha

If anything at all, being severely dehydrated will drop your blood pressure. But that seems like a terrible solution when you're going for a physical

suen17
11-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Whoops. DP

Khyron
12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Problem was my blood pressure was fine when I got my doctors note and consent from doctor torun the physical but they put you on one of those machines that check your blood pressure and mine was too high and considered a "health risk" I was pretty jacked and ready to go and run it... Had absolutely no caffeine or supplements that morning or a few days prior.

Doctor said for my age and how I eat its considered fine.

Ill give the running a try as well.

What are the numbers? If the doctor said it's "fine" but it's enough to get you pulled from a test, there's something odd.

If you are psyching yourself out with the test (get worried about a high number, so you stress out) then use the free ones in Walmart or Shoppers to see if you can actually get a normal reading. Since it's not a doctor you should be less anxious.

KRyn
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Beta Blockers?

kvg
12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Don't eat foods high in salt for the week before, it might help a little.

ExtraSlow
12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Chill the fuck out, that's probably the best thing. Deep breathing, meditation, or something like that. If you can feel your heart pounding in your ears, it's not ag ood sign bro.

jdmXSI
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd look into apple cider vinegar with mother (http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic109284.html#axzz2E6nfe2Lz) it seems to help with a number of ailments.

Lex350
12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
This sounds like an anxiety thing. Diet isn’t the answer here. Short of medicating yourself, some simple relaxation exercises should help. I do understand this in a way. The last time I had my physical I was the first appointment of the day for the doctor yet he was already 45 minutes behind. When I got my blood pressure checked it was elevated. Ya…no shit! How does he get 45 minutes behind before even taking his first appointment?

Shlade
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
my blood pressure has always been a little higher, it was 135/ 50 or something I forgot the diastolic

Couldnt do the physical since it went straight to 181/67... Gotta go see the doc and get him to refer me to a cardiologist to get things checked out. Somethings off big time.

Traffic_Cop
12-09-2012, 11:38 PM
I had the same issue. Some people (including me) suffer from a thing called " white coat syndrome". For whatever reason, when someone goes to take your pressure it goes through the roof. Go see your Dr. There is something that will relax you enough to bring it down several points. Having said all this make sure you dont actually have high blood pressure. Avoid salt, caffeine and booze for at least a week. Really take note of anything you eat, look for sodium content.

Rat Fink
12-10-2012, 12:23 AM

trevh
12-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Hang around shoppers drug mart for a week see if you can beat your phobia? Go in there once a day or a couple and shove your arm in the B/P machine?

Go to your local fire hall, they'll check your B/P too if you want. They may have some pointers for you...?

Traffic_Cop
12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by trevh
Hang around shoppers drug mart for a week see if you can beat your phobia? Go in there once a day or a couple and shove your arm in the B/P machine?

Go to your local fire hall, they'll check your B/P too if you want. They may have some pointers for you...?

Haa. That one at shoppers is awful. Makes scary noises!! I think i came away one day at around 176/99. It got to a point i actually wore a 24hr monitoring system. My average was 128/83