PDA

View Full Version : SAIT Civil Engineering Tech - Winter Term

armangill7
11-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Hey so i never really posted in this forum before but i would always read threads and what not so Hello to everyone. Im starting the Civil Engineering Technology program at SAIT in January and am wondering if anyone on here is either starting the program for the winter term or has started it in September. Im moving from Edmonton to Calgary in the next couple weeks so im pretty excited should be fun.

My_name_is_Rob
11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm almost done it, if that counts. :poosie:

armangill7
11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
How did you like it?

My_name_is_Rob
11-29-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't really, but I'm too close to being done to quite now. :burnout:

armangill7
11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
hahah yeah that makes sense. What classes did you find difficult? I kind of want to get an understanding of what to look out for and what to prioritize my time on.

My_name_is_Rob
11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Well, they switched up the program quite a bit for you guys now. They combined a bunch of the courses, so I believe you will only have 6 courses per semester or so.

The worst semester by far was the 3rd one. Im not sure if it still will be, as it has 3 less courses. I also found that most of the core courses were the most difficult, but then again I have a hard time studying or doing homework. So I guess it depends on what your good at.

armangill7
11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
yeah i just got my schedule today its about 6 courses i think. Which still is quite a bit but im sure if i manage my time right i should be able to do okay. Is there any fun projects or anything? Any teachers i should look out for? lol

armangill7
11-29-2012, 06:45 PM
also having math for engineering at 8 am is gonna kill me lol

My_name_is_Rob
11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
If your looking for a fun project, you should join the concrete toboggan group next year. I have heard nothing but good things about it. I think most of the class projects you'll get to pick a topic for. nothing stood out as 'fun' to me though, so I must have picked the wrong topics, haha.

As for teachers, I guess there are always preferred ones. Although I think your schedule is pretty much set in stone with SAIT, so unless you drop courses you'll be stuck with whoever they put you with. I'm not sure if Jack will be your math teacher, but he is a GREAT teacher, and even if its an early class you'll probably ace it.

oh and the trick to early classes... COFFEE!!! lol

armangill7
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Yeah I think I am going to need to have to suck it up and get up early. My teacher for math is not going to be Jack though it is John Dodd i believe. I have also heard some pretty good things about the concrete toboggan race and will definitely look into it. Btw is there any good bars on campus? lol

My_name_is_Rob
11-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Well, the Gate is the SAIT bar. Its right on campus, but I have never been overly impressed with it. Now Loco Lou's, on the other hand, is right across 16th, and is usually a pretty busy and happening place. Or since you'll have a transit pass, there are lots of bars and pubs within stumbling distance from the train stations. :thumbsup:

armangill7
11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
haha yeah sounds good ill definitely check it out. Im gonna be living just off of 17th ave anyways so its gonna be tempting to go to the bars all the time lol although i dont really know anyone in calgary yet haha

TL911
11-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I've done this program and have graduated and have a great job currently. But i think the CVT program is a joke and a waste of time, if you haven't started i would recommend going to a uni and doing the full degree instead because you can only go so far with the Tech Diploma. The one i should have done is the Petroleum Applied Degree...more $$$

FraserB
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by TL911
because you can only go so far with the Tech Diploma.

I'd like to hear how this is true.

TL911
11-30-2012, 01:20 PM
You will start off at the same pay grade as a full on Engineer (EIT) and then later down the road, that same EIT will make more than you, will be given the opportunity to travel and work overseas (Arab mostly). Once you graduate and start working, with years of experience time will tell if you made the right choice or not...In my case i have a whicked job and am happy, but i see other gradutates struggling and getting bottom feeder jobs like drafters, and field reps.

TL911
11-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

I'd like to hear how this is true.

I'm sure you have a diffrent prespective?

schocker
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm sure you have a diffrent prespective?
You can move up from TT to CET and PTECH so you can still go quite far :confused:

TL911
11-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by schocker

You can move up from TT to CET and PTECH so you can still go quite far :confused:

That's true...process is 2 years of TT then write an exam = CET. then from CET to RET and yet another exam....to become the PL(Eng) it brings you par to a PEng but this is a very long and lengthy process. My former Supervisor had to go through all of this and he told me it was like pulling teeth with APPEGA to reconize him. and he had to provide many refrences.

I dunno, I'm going to go back to school through the UBC option and finish my full degree. I will complete it and with 5 years of experience i become a full on PEng after writing my exam....More $$$ in the long run if your setup with the right company.

TL911
11-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I was there, at SAIT for 2 years. I personally feel it was a waste of time, SAIT should set you up with a summer internship with a company and give you credits for it, like the trades do.

There is no help when you want to pursue your degree...I was told that this is the agreement and you have to contact the school and find out everything else.

I found that the CVT Program has it's perks but many downfalls as well. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Jobs wise...i would recommend to anyone to apply early and often, use a cover letter and follow up. Because there is so much competition you have to remember that U of C kids are applying for the same positions as a CVT student is...It's happen to a lot of my friends that took the program with me and worked at Stantec...they hire you on a contract and after the contract, they will extend the contracts on most U of C students and hire very few CVT students or extend their contract.

If it was upto me, i would have never taken the CVT program, rather invested my time into something like IT or the Oil and Gas field. Big mistake on my part. cause you start at $22-24.

FraserB
11-30-2012, 04:53 PM
PEng and tech/spec can be on par, through all stages of career.

dirtsniffer
11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
:whocares: not this shit again... every thread, every one...

94boosted
01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I've done this program and have graduated and have a great job currently. But i think the CVT program is a joke and a waste of time, if you haven't started i would recommend going to a uni and doing the full degree instead because you can only go so far with the Tech Diploma. The one i should have done is the Petroleum Applied Degree...more $$$

I took CVT and then the BAPT Program (Bachelor of Applied Technology in Petroleum Engineering) and to be honest I don't know how much the BAPT program really helped me.

Type_S1
01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Go to university and take something that makes sense.

I had one buddy take this and he won't be making great money ever from having this diploma.

My_name_is_Rob
01-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1

I had one buddy take this and he won't be making great money ever from having this diploma.

I'm not sure how that's the case, because several of my classmates already graduated and are making pretty decent money already. If your buddy is content to not exert himself and improve then I could see how this might be an issue. (No disrespect toward your friend) Some people just don't like responsibility or change

ajooo
01-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
PEng and tech/spec can be on par, through all stages of career.

This.

94boosted
01-06-2013, 01:09 PM

OP ignore stupid posts like this both techs and engineers have their place in industry. And contrary to what university grads would have you beleive techs can make very good money.

Type_S1
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Engineers and tech's are treated differently always. More respect for engineers. The only people who think tech's are on par...is...(Take a wild guess here)...techs.

I am not saying tech's aren't smart and can't make good money but if you have the grades you mine as well go into engineering and get the respect right from the start for only 2 more years of schooling.

Let me ask you this...go out and find me a tech that currently runs there own company, then make a ratio of engineers who do. Do the same for millionaires in the field techs vs. engineers. There will be a large difference.

94boosted
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Engineers and tech's are treated differently always. More respect for engineers. The only people who think tech's are on par...is...(Take a wild guess here)...techs.

At shitty companies this is true, at good companies it's what you know 'on the job' and not so much what you were taught at school that determines how much "respect" you get treated with. And I'm not saying they're on par.

I am not saying tech's aren't smart and can't make good money but if you have the grades you mine as well go into engineering and get the respect right from the start for only 2 more years of schooling.

A lot of people take their tech diplomas because they want to get into the working world as soon as possible.

Let me ask you this...go out and find me a tech that currently runs there own company, then make a ratio of engineers who do. Do the same for millionaires in the field techs vs. engineers. There will be a large difference.

Can't be bothered, but you go ahead and figure this out and let us know.

armangill7
01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
i had my first day today it was pretty interesting. definitely something im interested in and could see myself doing. Has anyone taken the bachelor of science in construction project management at sait? I can get admitted into the 3rd year of the program after completing the 2 year CVT program. something im looking into.

dirtsniffer
01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
:whocares: not this shit again... every thread, every one...

Well said.

My_name_is_Rob
01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by armangill7
i had my first day today it was pretty interesting. definitely something im interested in and could see myself doing. Has anyone taken the bachelor of science in construction project management at sait? I can get admitted into the 3rd year of the program after completing the 2 year CVT program. something im looking into.

I haven't looked into it much, but you'll need to keep your GPA up if your contemplating going for it. There are a couple options, if by the time your finished your diploma and feel like you still want go for the degree. They should have a couple infosessions coming up.

Mamma_Mia
01-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Hey OP, I am in my second semester CVT right now. I would love to meet some of the January intakes... seeing as how we could be classmates next year. I have some first semester books that I can sell you for a really good price. You should make sure you join the SAIT CVT Club on Facebook and encourage your classmates to join also so you guys can join in on all the fun. I can give you lots of advice but I will need to know who your teachers are.

armangill7
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Mamma_Mia
Hey OP, I am in my second semester CVT right now. I would love to meet some of the January intakes... seeing as how we could be classmates next year. I have some first semester books that I can sell you for a really good price. You should make sure you join the SAIT CVT Club on Facebook and encourage your classmates to join also so you guys can join in on all the fun. I can give you lots of advice but I will need to know who your teachers are.

Yeah definitely we should get everyone together sometime soon and have everyone meet. It would be good for everyone im sure if we could get some more information from you guys on the courses and what not. I joined the facebook page and i believe a few people from my class have as well. Send me a pm of the books you have and ill let you know which ones i need.