PDA

View Full Version : student status after graduation?

believe
11-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Just wanted to get some input on what you guys think about this situation. if it makes a difference, I am an engineering student looking to get into industry.

I will have completed all my requirements for graduation by the end of this term, so officially, next January I would not be registered as a student with the university. However, my "graduation" would not be until next spring 2013.

I have a friend who was in the same situation, and he had a pretty tough time finding a job after finishing his requirements (looked for employment for about half a year), and it seemed that certain companies weren't really interested in him as he was technically unregistered for a while. Apparently, to register for certain EIT/new grad programs, some companies prefer that you are relatively fresh out of school.

So my question is then, would it be worth it for me to keep myself registered for the next term as well? The downside is that I would have to keep tuition payments, but if that means improving my odds of finding a permanent position, its seems to be a small price to pay.

Thoughts?

Timmeh
11-30-2012, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but can't you request a letter from the dean saying all your requirements for graduation have been fulfilled and that all you're waiting for is the graduation date?

flipstah
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Usually, EIT's have to have their degree done when starting their rotation so that you don't waste APEGGA time.

Usually companies don't care when you start if it's after (people I know got EIT offers and postponed till after for either graduation or tripping or whatever).

Why can't you apply for jobs and mention what you just told us? :dunno:

Your situation may be different than your friend.

lasimmon
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
It's hard to find a job in January because most companies are not hiring EITs then.

If a company wants you for ther EIT program it won't matter to most of you took 6 months off to travel or what ever.

mo_money2supe
11-30-2012, 10:33 AM
As Timmeh stated, you can request a letter from the Engineering department stating you have completed all the requirements for your degree, should your potential employer request it. As for APEGA, you will have to submit your official graduation date (in your case, at the end of the Winter term - April) to register for your EIT status. However, there is no requirement from APEGA that specifies you have to register as an EIT right after you graduate. In fact, I registered as an EIT about 1.5 years after I graduated and they didn't have any issues with it. Now, if your potential employer requests the designation, then that's a whole other story. If the latter is true, you could always just inform them of your status and work through the matter with them, at least show them you're available and interesed in working for them; I doubt most companies would have a problem with the issue.

realazy
11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
It really depends what your experience is.

What I have realized is that which ever companies you have done summer/co-op/internship with, determines which companies you'll work for as your first job.

It's sad that they don't tell you this in school, but I know too many companies that will ONLY hire new grads from their existing student pool unless you have an in from knowing someone.

The company I'm at (major o&g producer) doesn't even post new grad positions, it's all internal.

flipstah
11-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by realazy

What I have realized is that which ever companies you have done summer/co-op/internship with, determines which companies you'll work for as your first job.

It's sad that they don't tell you this in school, but I know too many companies that will ONLY hire new grads from their existing student pool unless you have an in from knowing someone.

The company I'm at (major o&g producer) doesn't even post new grad positions, it's all internal.

I think I know who you work for.

believe
11-30-2012, 11:27 AM
I think one of the problems I can think of is that my transcript (which surprisingly, many postings have asked me for) will say I have completed the requirements by the end of this year, and my program has closed.

As someone above stated, January is not exactly the optimal time to be looking for EIT positions. Assuming you don't get an interview until 6 months later, there will be an obvious gap between your degree completion and your interview time. I think its great if you have the opportunity to travel, but otherwise, this is just a "void" time which may be a turn off for a potential employer.

Wasn't aware of what realazy said. Now I wish I had done co-op now :cry:

Abeo
11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by believe

As someone above stated, January is not exactly the optimal time to be looking for EIT positions.

Depends on where you are looking. The company I work for just hired 3 EIT's (2 are "green" EIT's with no experience), and other companies may not have the hiring budget until Jan.

Wasn't aware of what realazy said. Now I wish I had done co-op now :cry:

Yup. I had the same problem.

I suggest you use your university's employment office, they will have ties to co-op companies and other companies who approach the university looking for fresh staff. It is an uphill battle at this point. You need to broaden your search (apply to smaller firms too) and research the fuck out of every place you apply to. A lot of companies seem to have created a maze in the HR application that is a huge barrier between you and the person who will decide if they want to hire you; talking with people in the company can help navigate it.

Good luck

Cos
11-30-2012, 01:12 PM

realazy
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I think I know who you work for.

I think I've posted where I work before, but let's hear your guess.

Disoblige
11-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I had friends in this situation.

Just find a part-time job and look for jobs/get interviews during this "void" time.

Done.

flipstah
11-30-2012, 05:51 PM

I think I've posted where I work before, but let's hear your guess.

PM'd

believe
12-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Cos

you had three summers and you didnt once get a job at an engineering company? I can understand why someone may chose to not take a full COOP term but you dont even have summer student experience? I am just curious as that could be helpful as well.

I had 1 summer of experience at a (very) small company, which may or may not even be worth talking about, depending on the job I am applying for. Do I regret this now? Absolutely.

Currently, I am aiming to branch out to a more 'power systems' based company, but I have little experience in that area, other than coursework I have completed.

Cos
12-01-2012, 09:15 AM

huch
12-01-2012, 02:14 PM

That's if you're lucky enough to do an internship at a diversified oil and gas company. I had the privilege of doing an internship at a "major producer" who, at the time had a heavy gas focus. When gas dropped down to $1.95- $2.50/gj, take a guess at what happened to a huge portion of their unconventional assets. Outcome? no coop from my batch got offered a job, post graduation.

But you're right about how a gross majority of producers EIT positions go to previous coop students. I definitely know a few people who had no experience that got picked up at producers but yeah, a gross majority of EIT jobs are filled from that coop pool.

Really... either you know someone whose in a hiring position or can influence someone in a hiring position, or you get on as a coop student and pray that when you graduate the company you were working for isn't shitting the bed.

lasimmon
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by huch

That's if you're lucky enough to do an internship at a diversified oil and gas company. I had the privilege of doing an internship at a "major producer" who, at the time had a heavy gas focus. When gas dropped down to $1.95- $2.50/gj, take a guess at what happened to a huge portion of their unconventional assets. Outcome? no coop from my batch got offered a job, post graduation.

But you're right about how a gross majority of producers EIT positions go to previous coop students. I definitely know a few people who had no experience that got picked up at producers but yeah, a gross majority of EIT jobs are filled from that coop pool.

Really... either you know someone whose in a hiring position or can influence someone in a hiring position, or you get on as a coop student and pray that when you graduate the company you were working for isn't shitting the bed.

Talisman? Haha

realazy
12-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds like talisman to me, lol. However, I do have a friend that did get a contract job from them eventually.

huch
12-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Sounds like talisman to me, lol. However, I do have a friend that did get a contract job from them eventually.

Talisman or Nexen or Encana. :)

That's as far as I'll go with that topic.... but yeah it is what it is.

Canmorite
12-03-2012, 05:34 PM

This is very true. I was hired on full-time when my co-op ended, and a recent position was filled from a previous co-op who held a similar position over a year ago.