PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Catfish z28 build

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Figured I'd kick off a build thread for my '98 z28. Nothing crazy planned as far as forced induction. Planning on keeping it all motor, although possibly adding a 100 shot wet kit down the road. :devil:

- Bought the car Oct 2011 bone stock down to the paper air box filter from the second owner in Red Deer with 113 kms. -

-Loaded with t - top roof, m6 transmission, leather, high tech 90's stereo :rolleyes: etc.

First picture is the day I got it, with the wimpy "beefy by 90's standards" 235 16's all around.

03ozwhip
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
i dont know why i thought what i did, but when i opened this up, i thought it was a z24 and wondering, when did a z24 get an M6? lol looking forward to seeing this!

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
First on the list besides routine used car maintenance (changing oil, diff fluid etc) was adding an SLP skip shift eliminator. For those that don't know, stock you are forced to shift from 1st - 4th at low speed acceleration. Seriously annoying! :rofl:

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Next up , I got rid of the big rig style trucker shifter and replaced it with an f-body specific "Lou's short stick"The name of the game with this build is: "trailer park budget" so keeping with that theme, this shifter reuses the stock knob etc.

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Then I decided to see Ravi and the boys at Minute Muffler in the N.E. I had them weld in a Magnaflow muffler. Stock exhaust is 2.75" so I didn't see much point vs cost in adding in a 3.00" catback. Sounds a little throatier now!! :devil:

spikerS
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i dont know why i thought what i did, but when i opened this up, i thought it was a z24 and wondering, when did a z24 get an M6? lol looking forward to seeing this!

Don't ask, but I thought the same thing, with how did the M6 get into a cavilier?

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Now to address some unibody flex with some UMI 2 point subframe connectors. :thumbsup: Hard to see , but you may be able to spot them at the very bottom if you look closely. :dunno:

Body is feeling MUCH stiffer now, especially over speed bumps, uneven surfaces. Less creaking which is especially important with the t tops.

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Next was an SLP air lid and K&N filter. Induction sounds a little nastier now..freed up maybe ~10 hp.

Last addition before winter mode (3 M bra applied, undercoated and studded 225 tires from Urban X.)

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:41 PM
May 2012

-Did the dreaded spark plug change. Installed my Pacesetter coated long tube headers with 3" Texas Speed ORY. What a difference in sound, really throaty and snarly sounding now :thumbsup: :hitit: . Took me and 2 friends ~8 hours to do this. The Fbody LS1 engine bay does not like to be tinkered with to say the least..

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
June 2012 -Figured it was time for a baseline/safe A/F check after the exhaust mods with Toma K @ Dynomotive.

Decent numbers for simple bolt on's.

304.6 rwhp & 322.1 rwtq or ~ 358 hp crank and 377 tq crank. With a healthy ,flat torque curve!! Keep in mind that this is a dyno dynamics , not a dynojet which would show about 0.09-0.013 % higher numbers.

C9vpuduaFPU

July-2012

Added a Mike Norris LSx specific catch can for the PCV system. Stock it sprays oil directly into the intake manifold..synthetic oil ain't too combustible! ;) Very well designed catch can with media inside etc to trap oil vapor.

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Nov 2012

FINALLY some decent summer wheels and tires. Not my first choice of wheels, but the price was right. 1997 C5 Corvette OEM GM Chrome Wagon wheels.

Tires are 295/35/18's out back & 245/40/17's out front. Gives it a little more of a muscle car stance..putting these on in March :burnout:

Hallowed_point
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Well that's it for now folks. Long term she's gonna see a 224 ish cam with full valve train, diff cover and maybe that 100 shot kit. :thumbsup: I'd REALLY like to take down my buddies 03 Cobra, but that's going to take some $$$ ;)

The car has been rock solid as my DD and has seen quite a few trips to Vancouver Island, Oakanagan as well as some beyond.ca cruises. Not too bad for a ~14 year old domestic.

Chantastic
12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Your youtube vid is set to private.

I am curious to see it with the C5 wheels on! Keep us updated

Hallowed_point
12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Your youtube vid is set to private.

I am curious to see it with the C5 wheels on! Keep us updated

Thanks..should be public now. I'm mainly looking forward to the extra 60 mm of tire out back..she gets a little squirly right now with traction control off with a 2nd to 3rd redline shift :eek:

Should look something like this, although I think the torch red on my car will set them off much more. Debating a mild lowering spring kit as well, although I'm not going for the flush look. My y-pipe is already only about 4.5" off the ground at stock 4x4 height. :nut:

Hallowed_point
12-05-2012, 03:26 PM
In an attempt to make this project more popular/powerful, I have decided to abandon the archaic push-rod 2V V8 LS1 currently installed.

I will instead be going with a Honda K20 A swap.

Stay tuned.

Disoblige
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I will instead be going with a Honda K20 A swap.

Stay tuned.
LOL.

Hallowed_point
12-05-2012, 03:54 PM
After that, my focus will be on purely cosmetic mods such as:

- pink WORKS wheels.
- a tow hook.

And a stuffed character of sorts to stuff into my passenger seat..possibly Captain America? :dunno:

StreetRacerX
12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
hahaha nice build thread man! When you mentioned swapping the LS1 out I immediately thought you would drop something monstrous in until I read the last of your post. If you are considering dropping her with springs, might I also recommend coilovers, I did a quick google search out of curiosity and noticed that the Megan Racing Street Series are available to the f body platform, they are a good bang for your buck and don't track too bad either from what I've heard, I've had mine installed for a bit over a year on my car, no complaints so far and only ran me $950-1000 shipped.

Glad to see you got your hands on a nice set of rims with some meaty rubber, hope to see to see your ride with those treads next spring/summer.

Hallowed_point
12-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Haha thanks. Nah, I'm just trying to have a little fun with that part! ;) Although; when the mileage/wear gets up there I would love to get my hands on an LS3/LS7 :D But in reality, I will likely just get the LS1 rebuilt and souped up while it is out!

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out! :thumbsup:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I think my favorite part of this car is the exhaust, last cruise we were on it sounded mean!

Hallowed_point
12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks dude... yeah, the 13:1 wot a/f ratio makes for some black death clouds though...just ask poor mibz on his bike during that cruise :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-06-2012, 12:01 PM
It seemed like at times you were burning oil on decel too I noticed?

Hallowed_point
12-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, a little of that too. Although should have been mainly just from running richer on decel. These engines burn oil it seems to be fairly normal especially with a lot of +4 rpm sustained driving which is very common for me on a nice day ;)

No white smoke or blue though? :eek: Now that would suck.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I can remember one time on be cruise there was a huge puff of blue I think it was right before I passed you and you commented on my exhaust at the next stop.

Hallowed_point
12-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Hmmm...maybe valve seals or guides. Thanks for the heads up..it must be brief as I've never actually seen it! Anyhoo, still pulling strong so until it feels like a cavalier power-wise I'll leave it be.

Although, it seems like ALL of the LSx series have high oil consumption issues even the LS3 etc. It could just be oil being sucked into the intake manifold for all I know, even with the catch can installed.

I've had next to no oil consumption this winter since I'm shifting below 3 K.

& Ya your downpipe really woke that thing up or whatever it is you did tune etc :burnout:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Hmmm...maybe valve seals or guides. Thanks for the heads up..it must be brief as I've never actually seen it! Anyhoo, still pulling strong so until it feels like a cavalier power-wise I'll leave it be.

Although, it seems like ALL of the LSx series have high oil consumption issues even the LS3 etc. It could just be oil being sucked into the intake manifold for all I know, even with the catch can installed.

I've had next to no oil consumption this winter since I'm shifting below 3 K.

& Ya your downpipe really woke that thing up or whatever it is you did tune etc :burnout:

Yeah it was a huge puff just like when my car had a blown turbo then it stopped, I remember you thought I had catless downpipes but I just have a flash tune, but it sure changes the car.

Hallowed_point
12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
vbLIphf1yg0

Yep, screw the camshaft idea..no way in hell am I paying ~$3000 installed to gain 30-50 rwhp. Plus get hassled by cops more with the lumpy idle.

I've looked into Nitrous systems for the f-body and for under $700 I can be sitting at easily 400 rwhp on tomas dyno. Plus, I can install the kit myself..it looks simple as hell. Only thing that's going to suck is changing those plugs out again to 2 steps colder with a .32 gap :banghead: Boo.

Stock idle , tint the rear windshield to hide the bottle and gtg.

I think my buddy in his 03 Cobra is going to be in for a surprise, pulley or not :devil:

Twenty
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Nov 2012

FINALLY some decent summer wheels and tires. Not my first choice of wheels, but the price was right. 1997 C5 Corvette OEM GM Chrome Wagon wheels.

Tires are 295/35/18's out back & 245/40/17's out front. Gives it a little more of a muscle car stance..putting these on in March :burnout:

:thumbsup:

Sentry
12-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Nitrous is fun, but expensive. 10 bucks a pound here in Calgary, and it goes very fast if you're using it on the street. If you're only using it at the drag strip expect a 10lb bottle to last 20 or so passes depending on the jets.

Everybody needs to try nitrous at least once though. :D

Hallowed_point
12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Nitrous is fun, but expensive. 10 bucks a pound here in Calgary, and it goes very fast if you're using it on the street. If you're only using it at the drag strip expect a 10lb bottle to last 20 or so passes depending on the jets.

Everybody needs to try nitrous at least once though. :D

Well, I figure no time like the present. I've been missing forced induction after driving that damn cobra! And I figure , 5.7L + boost = fun to be had.

I can't justify spending 5-6 grand on a supercharger kit plus install considering I paid 8600 for the Camaro. Same goes for turbo kits seeing as how I went through all the hassle of putting in the headers.

I figured it would be $$$, thanks for confirming though! I'll start at the 50 jet and see how I like that, go up from there. I doubt I will use it on the street, why that would be illegal ;) Planning on hitting up Castrol and maybe that race track in the Oakanagan while I'm visiting family.

Sentry
12-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Dude, 50? I ran 75 on my 2.0L SOHC golf. It only dynoed 96whp to begin with! :)

Hallowed_point
12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Sentry
Dude, 50? I ran 75 on my 2.0L SOHC golf. It only dynoed 96whp to begin with! :)

LOL, as in run the 50 shot until I get a handle for it make sure the tune is good etc. I'm not that much of a pussy!

I'm moreso concerned about snapping the toothpick of a 7.5" rear end that the fine folks @ GM supplied. I'll probably try and short shift first to second to avoid having a big hit of torque off the line.

I'm sure the LS1 can handle at least a 100-150 shot, aluminum block or not (with proper plugs and fuel etc.)

Question though, is shell 91 adequate or do I have to run husky 94?

Also, is drivability off the juice going to go to shit with dropping the spark plug gap from .60 - .32 ish?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can from ls1tech, but I figure it's just as good to ask someone who has used it! :thumbsup:

Sentry
12-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I gap all my boosted cars .028-.032" and run BKR7Es, they drive fine off boost and have quite a bit less compression than an LS1. And of course the Golf, I think I ran R5671As which in retrospect are way too cold, and gapped em 28 thou. Ran fine, it was my winter beater.

91 will do you fine... Probably anyway :P

Get a bottle heater, it makes a massive difference. Bottle pressure is everything!

Hallowed_point
12-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks dude..your feedback is most helpful!! :burnout:

Hallowed_point
12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Got around to some maintenance today..changed the fuel filter. Had to hack at it caveman style as I couldn`t find a saw. The media looked pretty nasty, maybe it`s even 14 years old :eek:

First time Ive ever replaced a fuel filter..it was very simple. Didnt even make a mess. Maybe I`ll gain +2 hp & 0.2 mpg :D

bastardchild
01-02-2013, 03:49 PM
The whip is coming along nice Chris :D

Hallowed_point
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks Pete!

Some more junk came in today!

Also, the Z now has a mascot..Hector the mexican clay skull which my brother brought back last week. I had some broken defrost vent fins so I figured I'd plant him here.

Hallowed_point
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Hector

Hallowed_point
01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Installed my UMI rear lower control arms this weekend..they tied in nicely with my UMI sub frame connectors.

Initial thoughts are that the car feels a little more planted around corners, although hard to tell on the current studded winters driving on dry pavement ;) No additional squeaking and the ride quality hasn't changed so pretty happy with this upgrade.

Hallowed_point
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Old vs new

Hallowed_point
01-20-2013, 02:17 PM
This morning, with some help from my buddy Travis and his superior arsenal of torque wrenches , air tools etc we made quick work of installing my Trick Flow Differential Support Cover.

This cover comes with preloaded carrier support posts to reduce rearward deflection of the carrier bearings during hard launches/power shifts! Increased capacity allows an extra .5 qt of Redline 75w90 gear oil. Came with ARP hardware too :bigpimp:

Hallowed_point
01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Installed! Looks pretty cool too.

Hallowed_point
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Hopefully these will help the wimpy 7.5" 10 bolt.

Hallowed_point
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Update: went to Urban X South this morning to see Gary to get my C5 vette wheels put on. Ran into some minor fitment issues at the start, no worries because Gary had lug nuts that fit properly and some 3 mm spacers to give me enough clearance in the back to prevent rubbing the inner fender.

Hallowed_point
03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Wheels installed and all shined up.

Hallowed_point
03-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Pretty happy with the results! The 295's out back hook up a little better then the 235's ;)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Looking good my friend, those wheels really suit the car!

Hallowed_point
03-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Looking good my friend, those wheels really suit the car!

Cheers ..I'd like to drop the front 1-1.5" but I already scrape my airdam all the time as is.

Gary@UrbanX
03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Glad we could help out!:thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Installed my LS6 intake manifold over the past couple of nights. Ran into some headaches, broke the oil pressure sending unit. GM couldn't have put this opsu in a worse place, at the back of the block surrounded by vacuum lines. As we were pulling out the LS1 manifold "snap!" No one is Calgary/Canada apparently had one , so had it over nighted for $150. :thumbsdow

Broke one of the intake manifold bolts while torquing it down..used a pop can for an EGR block off. Surprisingly enough, no vacuum leaks or check lights and a noticeable improvement in throttle response and pull above 5 K rpm.

Thanks to Offroad (Daryl) for helping out with the install and loaning me his Cavalier winter beater for a couple of days.

Offroad
03-29-2013, 06:57 PM
:thumbsup:

btimbit
03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Lookin' good!

AE92_TreunoSC
03-31-2013, 08:24 PM
pop can egr block is great! I learned that at SAIT haha

Hallowed_point
03-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
pop can egr block is great! I learned that at SAIT haha

+300 kms later and it's still holding up haha. It worked perfectly, a little ghetto but the price was right! ;)

I'm more surprised/impressed that the intake manifold isn't vacuum leaking despite breaking one of the 10 bolts off in the head and re-using gaskets. Used a torque wrench but wasn't paying attention "snap."

This really made a noticeable difference with the headers as I think the intake/exhaust is balanced better now.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Tight work, it happens. Cool mod for sure.

On some specific german cars or even on a tight import I will actually loosen off engine cradle bolts to get the engine away from the firewall. Not a luxury at home unfortunately.

Does the LS bolt to a sub-frame or to the unibody?

Hallowed_point
03-31-2013, 10:29 PM
I believe that it bolts to the subframe...that would have made it quite a lot easier to have been able to shift the engine forward about 6 inches. With half of it behind the cowl/dash it's a bitch to get at.

SkiBum5.0
04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Great build so far. I loved these cars in high school and still like the sound these engines make. I also remember that these cars were way underrated from factory. Keep the updates coming as I'm interested how this beast will run down the 1/4.

M.alex
04-01-2013, 11:14 AM

+300 kms later and it's still holding up haha. It worked perfectly, a little ghetto but the price was right! ;)

I'm more surprised/impressed that the intake manifold isn't vacuum leaking despite breaking one of the 10 bolts off in the head and re-using gaskets. Used a torque wrench but wasn't paying attention "snap."

This really made a noticeable difference with the headers as I think the intake/exhaust is balanced better now.

It's 85IN-lbs, not 85FT-lbs ;)

Hallowed_point
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

It's 85IN-lbs, not 85FT-lbs ;)

LOL..yep I had the dinky torque wrench out but I missed the clicks and then I noticed that the bolt was turning REALLY easily :cry:

Hallowed_point
04-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Ok, next on the list will be some SLP tuned Bilstein shocks with Sam Strano 1.2" lowering springs. I'm tired of the crap ride with the 14 year old 130 KM DeCarbon parts bin shocks. :banghead:

Sam Strano is a big name in the F body world SCCA , Autocross etc. I want this car to handle half decent for a solid rear axle. Getting proper summer rubber has inspired me to improve the handling side of things. :burnout:

Stay tuned!

"Strano Performance 1.2 inch Lowering Springs

Part #: SP141
Brand: Stranoparts
Price: $249.00

-Exclusively made to Strano Performance specifications.

-Spring rates and ride heights used to win multiple SCCA National Championships.

-Front spring rate: 550 lbs/in.
-Rear spring rate: 100 lbs/in. take up (non functional while driving), 150 lbs/in. working rate.

-Lightweight, averaging 10-14 pounds less per set than other springs.

-No slammed ride height, never will you end up 1.75" lower than stock with these springs.

-Made to Strano Performance Parts specs for handling. If you want a specific look, that's not what these springs are about. Please note that due to the variety of springs available on these cars from GM even stock ride heights vary greatly. Starting height effects the seen amount of drop from aftermarket springs."

Hallowed_point
04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Small bump. Just to give an idea of progress from when I bought it.

LEFT - bone stock with the little 235 16's out back

RIGHT - 295 18's with 25 mm H&R spacers from Urban X installed (rear wheels only.)

I'm happy with what these H&R spacers did as far as filling out the rear due to the sunken offset of the C5 wheels.

Hallowed_point
04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Also got the rear window tinted at Shadow this afternoon. I'm really happy with how the 20% tint ties in with the black sail panel. Looks a little sleeker I think!

Hallowed_point
04-25-2013, 12:33 AM
HELLAFLUSH.

Twenty
04-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Looks great with the spacers! Still subtle though, I hadn't noticed until you pointed them out last night.

Hallowed_point
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Cheers! It's noticeable to me for sure, especially from far away. At the same time it isn't over the top..don't want to totally chew up my paint from gravel ;)

Hallowed_point
04-27-2013, 11:42 PM
A better pic of the meats with the spacers.

Hallowed_point
05-02-2013, 10:01 PM
My younger brother let me know that there
was a '95 camaro v6 @ pick and pull. So of
course, I had to check it out! I've been planning
on doing the "Berger panel" for some time but
didn't want to risk messing up my factory panel.

This is kind of a heritage piece, as the Berger
panel dates back to the Berger Chevrolet big
block Camaro's from the 60's and 70's.

I was in luck!! I got worried as the panel had
already been removed, but other then it being
dirty it was mint. No cracks or anything.

Hallowed_point
05-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Berger Camaro.

Hallowed_point
05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Some wet sanding, primer & black spray bombs/clear
and she's done. Not perfect obviously , orange peel
etc but turned out pretty good for money spent.

Hallowed_point
05-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Should like something like this. Think
I'll hit it with another coat or two of clear
tomorrow and then install it!

never
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Should look good!

Hallowed_point
05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks! Ordered some black stainless steel/red camaro bumper inserts and some LSx badges 2 for 1 lol.

Hallowed_point
05-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Black stainless steel inserts.

Hallowed_point
05-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Close up. black widow spider camaro engage!!

Hallowed_point
05-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Looking forward to installing!!

Hallowed_point
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Finished & installed my berger panel this evening.

Hallowed_point
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I love me some LSX action. I ordered a
red bowtie to potentially go beside the
LSX, but I'm having second thoughts..it's
easy to go overboard with badges/stickers.

StreetRacerX
05-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Berger panel looks fantastic

Hallowed_point
05-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
Berger panel looks fantastic

Thank you..considering I started out with a purple muddy pick and pull panel I'm quite pleased :devil:

v2kai
05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
berger panel makes the back end look way more aggressive:thumbsup:

Hallowed_point
05-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
berger panel makes the back end look way more aggressive:thumbsup:

Thanks man...I'm pleased with the result
considering that it cost maybe ~$150 all in.

Hallowed_point
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
My buddy says the rear end tails looks similar to
his S13 now (except inverted)..high praise I think!
I'm really happy with how it splits up the fat
rear ass.

bastardchild
05-25-2013, 01:38 PM
My buddy says the rear end tails looks similar to
his S13 now (except inverted)..high praise I think!
I'm really happy with how it splits up the fat
rear ass.

Looks better every week man. Such a transformation from when you first picked her up!

Hallowed_point
05-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by bastardchild

Looks better every week man. Such a transformation from when you first picked her up!

Thanks! appreciate the feedback

Hallowed_point
05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
On Sunday, I entered my first car show. The Firebird Show & Shine @ Hooters. It was for the Children's Wish Foundation so I had no problem with donating to a good cause!

I also won a door prize, including a ford hat which I quickly redistributed to my ford mustang loving friend who was also in attendance!

Thanks to Bill for this one. You get a cookie if you can guess which CD that is on my dash!

Arg,,wish I'd had my hood either open or closed :banghead:

Hallowed_point
05-28-2013, 09:19 AM
& rearview cell phone pic @ show. I'm so happy
with my berger panel!

*cell phone quality really washes out the red..

never
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
The car looks good with the rear panel...breaks the ass up and makes it stand out.

G-ZUS
05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Nice ride, those headlights would look nice with black innards

GTS4tw
05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
& rearview cell phone pic @ show. I'm so happy
with my berger panel!

*cell phone quality really washes out the red..

Wow, looks 10x better with the panel! Looking from page 1 to now it looks like a different car, really like the subtlety. Any plans for exhaust?

Edit: I was looking for your car at the Peachland show, did I miss it?

Hallowed_point
05-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by no|uno
The car looks good with the rear panel...breaks the ass up and makes it stand out.

Thanks!..totally agreed. It's one of the bad things about the factory styling imo...I mean I love ass, but there is such thing as TOO MUCH!

Hallowed_point
05-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

I wish I hadn't gotten them 3 M'd as I have to bake the lights to seperate the housing to do that. But I agree. I'll probably do it and also get the SLP grill as pictured.

Hallowed_point
05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Wow, looks 10x better with the panel! Looking from page 1 to now it looks like a different car, really like the subtlety. Any plans for exhaust?

Edit: I was looking for your car at the Peachland show, did I miss it?

Thanks bud. I'm all about subtlety. Cosmetic stuff is make or break for me and I really don't like overdone tacky ebay stuff. These cars are not the easiest to mod cosmetically either!

I have Pacesetter long tube coated headers, a Texas Speed 3" ORY and a Magnaflow muffler. You probably saw the stock exhaust tips and thought it might all be stock! I did that to help avoid an "enlarged exhaust outlet" ticket.

LOL, I was there but didn't enter. We took the brother's gf's buick regal for the trip..much cheaper. I'll be out there in July though around stampede!

GTS4tw
05-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks bud. I'm all about subtlety. Cosmetic stuff is make or break for me and I really don't like overdone tacky ebay stuff. These cars are not the easiest to mod cosmetically either!

I have Pacesetter long tube coated headers, a Texas Speed 3" ORY and a Magnaflow muffler.

LOL, I was there but didn't enter. We took the brother's gf's buick regal for the trip..much cheaper. I'll be out there in July though around stampede!!

Yeah, it looks really cleanly done, if I didnt know I would think it was stock.

Theres another good show in Penticton around that time, but I think its the last week in June.

Hallowed_point
06-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

GM didn't do Camaro fans any favors with the stock headlights..the similarities with 90's Chrysler senior citizen "sporty cars" such as the Concorde , Sebring was undeniable.

I painted the chrome high/low beam surrounds black. This highlights the light better and gives it a more menacing, psychotic look which I'm quite happy with! Not a fan of most of the euro style halo lights and this mod cost me a bottle of silicone sealer as I had left over black paint from my berger panel.

*Note that the lights look foggy due to the 3M warping slightly as I had to heat the lights up to 200 F to crack them open. I'm getting new film re-applied.

THE GOVERNATOR
06-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Spotted you yesterday, going south on Elbow DR South from Glenmoore. Sounds amazing!

Hallowed_point
06-30-2013, 06:08 PM
^^Thanks :D

Twenty
07-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Nice job on the headlights!

Hallowed_point
09-12-2013, 09:25 AM
So my project funding has largely been eaten up lately by old car maintenance (passenger window motor, maf sensor, seat belt guide)

I have a small update..a Hurst leather shift knob. When I was looking around for my car , I test drove a 97 Camaro SS with this exact shift knob (a factory option.) It stuck in the back of my head for some reason as being "the ultimate shift knob." Sure enough, it is! :D

Hallowed_point
09-29-2013, 09:10 PM
SLP Bilstein struts came in on Friday..going to see Ravi @ Minute Muffler on Wednesday for the install..looking forward to the improvement in ride quality. Getting rattled around by every crack and pebble on the road will be but a distant memory (I hope!)

Hallowed_point
10-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Some feedback on the bilsteins. Definitely corners much more like a sports car should now. Feels much more "glued" for lack of a better term. Stability has increased during high speed maneuvers. Front end dive during heavy braking has also disappeared. Ride quality has also improved however it's still a solid axle out back! Overall I'm happy with this upgrade :D