PDA

View Full Version : Can you get in trouble for being rude to a prof in an email?

currency41
12-08-2012, 07:45 PM
If I beak a prof in an email, can I be disciplined?

Thanks

dj_rice
12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Yes you will get a spanking

Gainsbarre
12-08-2012, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine sent an angry email to the U of C president (Weingarten) many years back and got banned from the U of C campus as a result.

This friend of mine is a bit of a hot head so I'm not sure of the exact contents of the email or if any threats were made. I suppose it depends on the prof that you're rude to.

shakalaka
12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Say it in person. Don't leave any evidence.

believe
12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
why bother? its a lose/lose situation. You gain nothing out of it, and frankly, your prof could not care less what you think.

as an example, these guys: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2009/03/10/cgy-facebook-uofc-comments.html

I think they ended up "winning," the case about the U of C, but they come out looking like a bunch of losers.

EK69
12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Say it in person. Don't leave any evidence. No shit lol. Telling a prof to go fuck himself in person >>>>>>> over email :rofl:

Type_S1
12-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I've sent a very professional email calling a prof out in an email to the president of the university, dean of the faculty, student union, the prof and a few other "important" parties. It was a legit email with multiple serious legit problems outlined in a respectful manner. I didn't recieve a reply from 1 party on the email.

Once schools get your tuition nobody gives a shit unless someone steps out of line. Beaking a prof in a rude manner is probably asking to get in shit.

currency41
12-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Dude cost me a 4.00 this semester. Absolutely demolished me on a paper that I came and spoke with him 3 times about before I even started writing.

I got 100 on the mid term (50 MC worth 30%, how boss is that), and now I need a 96 on the final to get an A.

fuckin pissed brahs

I'll just pay him a visit instead then.

Thanks for the advice.

blitz
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Did you consider your paper wasn't that good?

lilmira
12-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Good luck for working in the real world.

Type_S1
12-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Haha...nobody in the real world cares if you have a 4.0.

Maybe your essay just sucked...getting a bad grade on a paper doesn't justify throwing a hissy fit bahaha

tch7
12-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Once schools get your tuition nobody gives a shit unless someone steps out of line.
I concur.
I had one prof submit the wrong final grade to the registrar, asked him to fix it and he said he would, but he never did and instead he just started ignoring my polite emails. I'd gone overseas by the time the grade posted, so getting anybody to give two shits by email just didn't happen. Since it was my last year and it had been a completely useless course (STAS...), I eventually just quit caring and dropped the issue.

Nevertheless I blasted the shit out of that asshole on the course evaluations, albeit in a completely professional manner.

currency41
12-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Haha...nobody in the real world cares if you have a 4.0.

Maybe your essay just sucked...getting a bad grade on a paper doesn't justify throwing a hissy fit bahaha

I heard U of T's law school cares.

tbomb
12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Good luck for working in the real world.

Good luck for using good wording

vengie
12-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by tbomb

Good luck for using good wording

Oh ya? :english:

P.s who cares about a 4.0, get a 3.0+ and work on people skills.

kvg
12-08-2012, 10:33 PM
A students teach and B students work for C students.

Type_S1
12-08-2012, 10:35 PM
U of t law school?

3.7 & 167 and your in. Any higher on either one and your good.

Are you at u of c or mru? Arts program? I honestly think law schools need to find a new way to evaluate students entrance so students don't care so much about a gpa. I would say a business or engineering student with a 3.2 is much more intelligent and well rounded than an arts student with a 4.0. Also work experience would make sense to take into account, u of c is the only school that seems to do that. Thread jacking, sorry.

currency41
12-08-2012, 10:39 PM
U of t law school?

3.7 & 167 and your in. Any higher on either one and your good.

Are you at u of c or mru? Arts program? I honestly think law schools need to find a new way to evaluate students entrance so students don't care so much about a gpa. I would say a business or engineering student with a 3.2 is much more intelligent and well rounded than an arts student with a 4.0. Also work experience would make sense to take into account, u of c is the only school that seems to do that. Thread jacking, sorry.

I'm insulted that you would mention both MRU and arts in my thread. Fair comment about GPA + LSAT though.

The people who say GPA doesn't matter obviously don't get paid to go to school. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

tbomb
12-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by kvg

B students work for A students and C students work at mack donaldz

Type_S1
12-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by currency41

I'm insulted that you would mention both MRU and arts in my thread. Fair comment about GPA + LSAT though.

The people who say GPA doesn't matter obviously don't get paid to go to school. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

What institution and program? Sorry to offend.

And paid to go to school? You sure must be special to get paid to go to school lolZ????

currency41
12-08-2012, 11:00 PM

What institution and program? Sorry to offend.

And paid to go to school? You sure must be special to get paid to go to school lolZ????

yeah bro

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/Scholarships-and-Awards/Continuing-Undergraduate-Awards/Louise-McKinney.aspx

Type_S1
12-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Haha what school did you go to? None of my friends who graduated with C averages could even get jobs. They still work as servers/mall at the moment!

Type_S1
12-08-2012, 11:03 PM

yeah bro

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/Scholarships-and-Awards/Continuing-Undergraduate-Awards/Louise-McKinney.aspx

Lol...I think your talking to the wrong guy, I guess I got paid to go to school as well.

I averaged 10,000$ in scholarships a year and had nowhere near a 4.0. I had a life, partied, worked and was a people person. I learned the big scholarships come to people who have substance and not just a GPA. Enjoy the $2,500 though, most people get $0! :)

currency41
12-08-2012, 11:05 PM

Lol...I think your talking to the wrong guy, I guess I got paid to go to school as well.

I averaged 10,000$ in scholarships a year and had nowhere near a 4.0. I had a life, partied, worked and was a people person. I learned the big scholarships come to people who have substance and not just a GPA. Enjoy the $2,500 though, most people get $0! :)

Oh, I had more than enough to cover all of my expenses this year.

Wouldn't want to be identified because I won another award of several thousand dollars only offered to one person. Not exactly a positive thread.

Also, I wasn't directing the "not understanding" thing to you. It was more towards these guys that recommend a "3.00+" or that people who get C's actually have jobs.

Tik-Tok
12-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Horseshit. Those who can't... teach.

blitz
12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Man you seem like a dick. You don't get an A+ and your first instinct is to berate the teacher?

You make a thread on a car forum asking if you can get in trouble sending a professor an inappropriate email and you want to go to law school? Jesus.

You know what UofT law school doesn't like? Students with disciplinary actions against them for threatening emails.

How about just calmly sitting down with the teacher and seeing what he didn't like about it? Maybe you fucked up and he had good reason to give you what you got.

And a $2500/year scholarship doesn't make you hot shit.

Gainsbarre
12-08-2012, 11:59 PM

yeah bro

Louise McKinney -- do they still send out certificates (such as this one) via your MLA?

:D

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l577/gainsbarre1/lmscholarship.jpg

Happened to me in a few classes -- when I took a 400 level finance class in Haskayne the professor cancelled the last few weeks of class and simply vanished -- no office hours/responding to voicemail/responding to email / nothing. I did file an appeal about that and the associate dean of student affairs at the time (Allan Ingelson -- great guy!) was instrumental in having my appeal heard, although my grade was unchanged. The prof in question was denied tenure shortly after that and he teaches at MRU now...

In MGIS 317 the TA that graded my midterm gave me a grade in the low 70's (wtf?) so I got a regrade through the prof (Frank Thirkettle) and my grade shot up to the mid 90's :rofl:

I think the best course of action would be to request a meeting with your professor to discuss your paper and if you're still not satisfied, file an appeal. There should be some procedure through which you can get another professor in the department to grade your work (though there will always be that threat that "your grade may increase, decrease, or not change at all").

kvg
12-09-2012, 12:29 AM

Haha what school did you go to?

SAIT :thumbsup:

None of my friends who graduated with C averages could even get jobs. They still work as servers/mall at the moment!

That's why they have to start their own companys ;)

currency41
12-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by blitz
Man you seem like a dick. You don't get an A+ and your first instinct is to berate the teacher?

You make a thread on a car forum asking if you can get in trouble sending a professor an inappropriate email and you want to go to law school? Jesus.

You know what UofT law school doesn't like? Students with disciplinary actions against them for threatening emails.

How about just calmly sitting down with the teacher and seeing what he didn't like about it? Maybe you fucked up and he had good reason to give you what you got.

And a $2500/year scholarship doesn't make you hot shit.

Well seeing as he ignored my inquiry to set up a meeting (just like he ignored every other email I've sent this semester), I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do other than send him an email thanking him for all of his efforts in helping me succeed.

I outlined my entire paper in the guy's office and he said he liked the sounds of it. 12 pages and 30 sources later I get a fucking B-, the worst grade I've ever received.

Understandably choked?

Super_Geo
12-09-2012, 04:19 AM
I outlined my entire paper in the guy's office and he said he liked the sounds of it. 12 pages and 30 sources later I get a fucking B-, the worst grade I've ever received.

Understandably choked?

So you're choked that your prof didn't hold your hand and help you write your paper? Yeah, the prof liked the 'sounds of it,' but you obviously wrote a shitty paper and the prof gave you a shitty grade in return. Be a man and take some fucking responsibility.

cancer man
12-09-2012, 07:04 AM
And Samson said unto them, Though ye have done this, yet will I be avenged of you, and after that I will cease.
(Judges 15:7)

Listen to the last part of the quote.

Mibz
12-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Shit, even I got the Louise McKinney. Every e-fight I get into now I can just say "I got paid to go to school, I wouldn't expect you to understand" and default a win. And if a guy going to law school can do it then I can drop a "LAWYERED" too. Shit, life just got so much easier. Somebody tell that guy in the "How to win at life" thread, all you have to do go to SAIT and get a lame scholarship. After that it's bitches and law degrees 24/7.

Kramerica
12-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Understandably choked?

I've outlined papers in prof's offices been told that's a fantastic idea and ended up with a C-. From the way you talk it sounds like you're more of a quantitative than a qualitative person. just because you meet all the requirements of a good paper doesn't necessarily mean you've written a good paper.

For the record, I'm a solid C's student. I would say people skills are almost always trump grades and crap like that. As soon as I learned to open up and stop being a know it all dick I found it alot easier to get decent jobs to pay for college.

spacerz
12-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I heard U of T's law school cares.

My good friend got into UofT law school with a 2.8...

lasimmon
12-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by spacerz

My good friend got into UofT law school with a 2.8...

My friends uncles friends son got in without applying.

gatorade
12-09-2012, 02:55 PM
2.8? sounds like bullshit unless he had an 180 on the lsat, or is native, the average gpa to get into UofC law school is a 3.55. UofT is the hardest Canadian law school to get into. My friend had a 4.0, solid references and a score of 160 on the lsat and got denied.

A 2.8 gpa isn't even high enough to meet the minimum to get into graduate school. Even with a 4.0 the op isn't even guaranteed to get in. I hope you are applying to a bunch of different law schools.

I'm thinking about taking the lsat in February, but am not even bothering to try to get into UofT because I've been told how hard it is to get in there.

tbomb
12-09-2012, 04:31 PM

currency41
12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Shit, even I got the Louise McKinney. Every e-fight I get into now I can just say "I got paid to go to school, I wouldn't expect you to understand" and default a win. And if a guy going to law school can do it then I can drop a "LAWYERED" too. Shit, life just got so much easier. Somebody tell that guy in the "How to win at life" thread, all you have to do go to SAIT and get a lame scholarship. After that it's bitches and law degrees 24/7.

How is it an e-fight? all I did was call out the losers that get C's and say GPA doesn't matter. Its fucking business man, get less than a 3.3 and you are basically retarded.

Plus your comprehension appears to be lacking.

Getting paid to go to school suggests a profit. Seeing as tuition is over $6000, and books are ~$750, do the math. Cash inflows > cash outflows.

Kramerica
12-09-2012, 05:25 PM
For somebody with the location location "real world", you seem to have zero knowledge of it. Also maybe you should get a job or something while going to school, you seem to be under some delusion that what you do is special.

boarderfatty
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
If you have actual grounds, I would appeal the grade informally but professionally with your professor. If you dont get through to your prof formally appeal with your program chair, and if that doesn't work go to the Dean. I have done this in multiple classes. I dont often get along with my prof's because I am stubborn and like to voice my opinion even if it clashes with my professors. Because of this Prof's graded me unfairly in my opinion. As long as you have your ducks in a row the appeal process can be very easy.

Take you paper review it, see where exactly you were deducted marks you feel as though you should have received, have someone review it, then take it up the ladder.

7thgenvic
12-09-2012, 08:43 PM

How is it an e-fight? all I did was call out the losers that get C's and say GPA doesn't matter. Its fucking business man, get less than a 3.3 and you are basically retarded.

Getting paid to go to school suggests a profit. Seeing as tuition is over $6000, and books are ~$750, do the math. Cash inflows > cash outflows.

What school do you go to?

What year are you in?

What is the class?

Mibz
12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Getting paid to go to school suggests a profit. Seeing as tuition is over $6000, and books are ~$750, do the math. Cash inflows > cash outflows. Fuck, this is why I'm so poor.

J-D
12-09-2012, 09:09 PM

You sound like such a tool. You are asking on a message board if it's alright to send a passive-aggressive e-mail to a professor and then start berating people for a metric that means little outside of the academic world. E-Mail policy is outlined in just about every course outline, or a quick search on the University website.

effingidiot
12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
So much effort + butthurt and you end up in a grey cubicle in downtown insert city name here...
:rofl:

currency41
12-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by effingidiot
So much effort + butthurt and you end up in a grey cubicle in downtown insert city name here...

I'm sure glad the entire world isn't trapped in mediocrity like you are.

blitz
12-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Haha, you make it seem like you've accomplished so much in your life.

Last I heard, you got a B- on your last paper.

spacerz
12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by gatorade

He is a Native, yes.

dubhead
12-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Zero102
12-10-2012, 11:30 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

This kid needs a serious dose of reality

FullFledgedYYC
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
I haven't read the thread, but I will give my opinion.

In University I had a VERY incompetent teacher. I sent a few emails to him telling him how his style of teaching was awful and that myself and others had no idea what was going on. Nothing changed.

I then emailed the Dean and told him that several complaints have been submitted about this prof and yet nothing has been done. I basically said it was bullshit that I am paying 600 bucks for a class that I have no chance of being able to pass due to the incompetence of the instructor.

He basically said that the professors contracts state that they are entitled to finish teaching the course regardless of feedback. This teacher was going to finish teaching the class unless there was a serious matter (criminal).

I told him that was complete BS because it has been known for years how incompetent he is.... basically it all went nowhere, but it felt good to unleash on the Dean about how he hires shit people... and yes there was some questionable language thrown in. Nothing happened, but I think the fact that I didn't just swear endlessly and actually brought some fact and intelligence to the conversation may have helped my cause. In the end, I regret nothing, and I graduated. I even shook the Dean's hand crossing the stage and I could tell he hated me. It was great.

7thgenvic
12-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed his "location" and "What I drive"

This kid seems like a real champ with huge potential for law school...

"Real Nigga Shit"

You definitely sound like a great Law School Candidate.

msommers
12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Let me get this straight. You're an apparent 4.0 student and yet you make a thread entitled, "Can you get in trouble for being rude to a prof in an email?" If you didn't already know the answer to this or how to handle it properly, I'd be curious of how well a lawyer you'd turn out to be. Do they test for common sense on the LSAT?

effingidiot
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Jedem das Seine :dunno:

WithTheLightsOn
12-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Why do even wanna-be-lawyers have to fit the stereotype? :rofl:

To be fair though, if I actually believed that people with lower grades are completely inferior to those with higher grades like OP seems to think, I too would act like a prick over a B- paper.

Please do it OP, please send that e-mail. You can't actually get in trouble, and if they try to punish you just use your great lawyer skills to argue for your freedoms and grades. I bet you'll come out on top easily; after all they probably don't have a 4.0 like you do. Put this also in your application packages, because law schools will certainly go gaga for someone with proven lawyer potential. You'll be immediately ahead of the pack, so it's a win-win.

Also, please make sure to let us know what happens if you do send that e-mail. :rofl:

Super_Geo
12-10-2012, 01:16 PM

Hilarious :rofl:

Look kid, if you need 4.0 to get into UofT law it means you're taking an easy undergrad degree from a second tier school. Now if that isn't mediocrity I'm not sure what is...

lasimmon
12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I smell a troll

rx7boi
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Beyond delivers as usual. :nut:

Team_Mclaren
12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Bro, I know this guy that never went to law school but is now a lawyer in NY, his name is Michael. You mad?

leather-bomber
12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
lol kid must be asian, his GPA is his dick size, 4.0''. With that B- you may as well go to MRU, acorn dick boy.

Disoblige
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by leather-bomber
lol kid must be asian, his GPA is his dick size, 4.0''. With that B- you may as well go to MRU, acorn dick boy.
lol. Then I feel bad for all the people who don't have 4.0's then. Your troll effort's a B-.

leather-bomber
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

lol. Then I feel bad for all the people who don't have 4.0's then. Your troll effort's a B-.

You're troll effort's a B-. Fixed

Very nice english.

XylathaneGTR
12-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Very nice english.

http://semiaccurate.com/assets/uploads/2012/03/I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

89s1
12-10-2012, 08:55 PM
The OP reeks of entitlement, unfortunate how common it is in the current generation of young people.

How is you getting a bad mark anyone's fault but your own?

You want a good mark? Write a good paper.

vengie
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM

Very nice english.

The fuck??

You're = you are, it was right as it was.

Speaking of nice engrish..

Zigo
12-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by vengie

The fuck??

You're = you are, it was right as it was.

Speaking of nice engrish..

http://semiaccurate.com/assets/uploads/2012/03/I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

ksb
01-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Nope, profs are rude to students all the time.