PDA

View Full Version : Exam Rituals

themack89
12-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Just curious what people's exam rituals are, or if you got superstitions about anything related.

E.g. I go out for some fresh air and just completely blank my mind and I've started using erasable markers on my exams.

EG6boi
12-14-2012, 01:47 AM
I usually study eating some Wearthers candy, and repeat during the exam. One of my teachers from high school told me it helps you recall the last time you had that same candy, thus improving your memory. :dunno:

The BMW Guy
12-17-2012, 11:57 PM
I always wear sweats and my faculty t-shirt to all of my exams. Some of my friends wear jerseys and suits haha.

urrforce
12-18-2012, 01:50 AM
i study to music that i would normally never listen to except for finals week to help me concentrate i found it helps me retain more info than i would with normal edm or house playing.

i have the same pen i have used for years to write any finals that require ink for the last 2 years never use it except for finals time

and i notice i drink more energy drinks

and dress like a slob for finals week lol

jwslam
12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288385/exam-rituals/

max_boost
12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Tried a bunch of different things for exams and in the end no matter how hard I tried it was a B/B+. So I called myself the OK 80/20 guy. Did enough to get an 80 but couldn't get more than that. I really don't know how the fuck some of you guys get 4.0 GPA's. Surely one of the things that have eluded me. :nut:

Mitsu3000gt
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
1) Make sure it's the night before, no earlier.
2) Turn on music
3) Type out everything I need to know, and print the study sheet I just made (typing it makes me remember it)
4) Send out mass email to my group or class of the study sheet I made in case it helps anyone
5) Go to sleep, if there is still time
6) Review frantically in the minutes before exam
7) Take exam, forget things I just read 30 seconds ago, but overall do pretty good haha (A's and B's, the odd C).
8) Forget pretty well everything post-exam, as it will no longer matter at any point later in life whatsoever

I've never in my life studied earlier than the day before for any test, and the above strategy worked for me every single time.

For me, it was knowing that the difference between an 80/85 and a 100 % was 2-3 times the work, so it wasn't worth it.

jwslam
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
4) Send out mass email to my group or class of the study sheet I made in case it helps anyone
Going for the good karma eh?

gen60
12-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Listen to night of the roxbury theme song right before the test.

Mitsu3000gt
12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Going for the good karma eh?

Haha, every little bit helps! Really though, the actual creation of the study sheet is completely for my benefit because actually typing it up is 90% of my studying, and not so much reading and re-reading it. At that point, I could care less if other people want to use it to compare to their notes, or use it for a cram session before the test. I'm making it anyways, so I might as well try help out as many others as I can.

max_boost
12-18-2012, 01:04 PM

For me, it was knowing that the difference between an 80/85 and a 100 % was 2-3 times the work, so it wasn't worth it.

Maybe that was why I could never get any A's from a course that had any real substance to it lol

trollolhah
12-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I dress up to the nines to my exams. Then once I'm finished, I stand up, and put on my sunglasses as i leave my desk.

Like a boss.

Mitsu3000gt
12-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Maybe that was why I could never get any A's from a course that had any real substance to it lol

Haha, yeah, that was my experience all through school. The difference between a B and an A+ was double the work and zero benefit later down the road, so it wasn't worth it.

max_boost
12-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by trollolhah
I dress up to the nines to my exams. Then once I'm finished, I stand up, and put on my sunglasses as i leave my desk.

Like a boss. That is awesome. Do you sit in the front row too so everyone can look at you as you walk out. :bigpimp:

flipstah
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Sweatpants, tees, exam beard and music.

Aim for a B; A+ requires too much effort for minimal gains.

:thumbsup:

Smartiepants
12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I always liked showing up early, and watching people stress out in the hallways / waiting areas.

Watching people really stress out made me feel better. I'd look around thinking, I'm way less screwed than x person.

Boat
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Re write out all of the material that is on the test (repetition helps) usually one or two nights before. Depends on the amount of content.

The day of the exam is difficult to retain anything so I usually just commit to memorizing/learning ONE extra concept.

I like the werthers idea.

swak
12-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I would type everything out as well....
Would do it 3-4 days prior, then cross out things if i could cite it before i read it... Repeat then on exam day you don't have much to go over - and can just review the crucial bs before stepping in.

Always 2 pens, pencil and eraser though.... always prepare for the worst.
The only thing i used pen for was my name though haha... everything else was pencil.

Werthers idea sounds solid though.

andyg16
12-18-2012, 08:11 PM

I've never in my life studied earlier than the day before for any test

I'm the same way, the only time I've studied prior to the day before was when I had to write the FE exam.

dirtsniffer
12-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Study hard. Joke, laugh and smile as much as possible helps me not stress.
No studying for the hour before a test. Don't show up to exam room until 5 minutes prior, find room day before.

Coffee, water, pencil, calculator are brought to exam. Always wear sweats. This semester was the first time I shaved during finals

Blue
12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Before exam's, i usually play 2 hours of tetris, and drink shitload of Energy drink..
usually gets me b+ lol

black300
12-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Wear sweats and comfortable cozy clothing when studying & writing exams.

I tend to write notes by hand over again atleast 4-5 days before the exam. I remember things a lot more if I have written it in the past few days rather than just try reading notes I wrote over the semester.

Drink energy drinks when studying
Chew gum or candy when studying
Never smoke or chew tobacco but during studying time I do
Make 45 min intervals than take 15 minute break walk around etc.

InRich
12-18-2012, 10:47 PM
back in my university day, I remember once I was going into a final with a failing grade. I needed something like a 77% to pass this course... so I woke up early in the morning, had a good breakfast, took a red rocket, and studied all day till the test which was at 4;00...

Photographic memory, I shit you not! aced that mother fucker!

Redlined_8000
12-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Pot of coffee every day and study for about 10-12 hours a day for a week or so before the exam.