PDA

View Full Version : E-MBA or Degree...

psi_klops
12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi All,
I'm a little stuck. I am heading back to school to finish my undergrad with the plan to do an MBA after.

I saw that there is the E-MBA option available to people who have significant work experience in lieu of an undergrad.

My questions are:

Is the E-MBA recognized (or is it scoffed at as "not a real MBA")
Am I better off doing my undergrad (which has a number of years left) or is this E-MBA a viable "fast path".

Thanks All!

npham
12-29-2012, 12:22 PM
The biggest reason to complete an MBA would be the connections you make while completing it. I don't think you would get the entire experience if you don't attend classes, meet people, etc.

There are night classes if you cannot take 2 years off to complete it.

Pacman
12-29-2012, 12:23 PM
What type of job are you looking to do when you are done?

Some industries/companies will only look at graduates from an accredited 4 year undergrad program. Others are open to relevant work experience/education.

psi_klops
12-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Hayskane offers the E-MBA as a weekend program so there is that class/ networking componet still.

As for what to do after...I'd like to get into the O&G insdustry (like everyone else :) ) but really just corporate finance.

I am in the midst of completing my CFA, but have come to realize that it is viewed as a great suppliment to a degree, but not a replacement.

I'm prepared to do the undergrad, but I am not getting any younger and really want to do something effective to move my career ASAP.

ExtraSlow
12-29-2012, 12:54 PM
I occasionally look through resumes, and I know that if I see an E-MBA, I don't consider it a "real" MBA.

joegrang
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
An MBA really supplements the basics obtained from a degree. It is arguable that experience can take the place of a degree but it varies from person to person.

I found that the discipline from getting my first degree - reading, studying, writing papers, and doing labs, helped me digest and retain the MBA material better - reading, writing papers, team projects, and case studies.

It is impossible to tell the difference between an EMBA and an MBA, they both offer MBA degrees. On my degrees there is no mention of the program being an EMBA program. Most universities that offer a MBA program, offer an EMBA program. Cost wise both programs are the same because one requires you pay for room and board (Assuming you are leaving Calgary for your MBA).

I personally chose an EMBA because the average class age was much older ~36 years. One benefit of an MBA is hearing others share their experience. I learned a lot from people with 10+ years of experience sharing their stories from work.

I also liked how I could try stuff I learned right away at work. This is only if your are not studying full time (MBA versus and EMBA). It helped me deliver a lot more value to my company beyond my job description.

I was also accepted into the MBA program for the same school but found that all the students were ~26 years old who had worked for 2 years; all of them had similar aspirations of corporate finance or banking. Very book smart but I wasn't convinced that I could draw a lot from them.